Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

I'm seeing a weird glitch where my fx loop 1 shows as bypassed, but still is active in the chain. Either bypassed or mixed down to 0%, signal is still going through external pedals.

You seeing such in the Editor? On the unit's display? Or, both?

Although I saw Frank's reply on TGP that the bug has been found and a fix is being worked on, I must have missed Frank's mention of 2.21 explicitly.

... I realized why after; I was mentioning based on an email notification I received.

Upon visiting TGP, I discovered that he had PMd me that info - not that it's a secret. I guess he just wanted to target the info at me.

I confirmed with him that there's no issue with spreading the word about this, as I'd already been doing =]

Hopefully they're tracking other issues people have noted as well.

You seeing such in the Editor? On the unit's display? Or, both?

It's happening in the Editor, and on the unit.  I can bypass the fx loop, adjust the mix, or remove the fx loop block completely, and it's still passing 100% mix to and from the Whammy.  I can only bypass it by turning off the Whammy footswitch, or unplugging a send/return cable.

Very minor bug. 2.20

When user led colours are assigned to snapshot switches the top row always displays the dim/bright setting, regardless if set to off/bright. Bottom row works as expected with either setting.

Yeah, I believe this bug has been there since they implemented the snapshot LED color changes. I remember coming across this.

I updated my Helix to V2.20.0 and I'm now experiencing a complete disconnect of the input signal while I'm scrolling through presets. While scrolling through setlists, Helix will go dead silent .The only way to get the signal back is to turn off the unit and turn it back on.

The other related problem I notice when the tones cut off is the tuner is stuck on Ab.

I updated my Helix to V2.20.0 and I'm now experiencing a complete disconnect of the input signal while I'm scrolling through presets. While scrolling through setlists, Helix will go dead silent .The only way to get the signal back is to turn off the unit and turn it back on.

The other related problem I notice when the tones cut off is the tuner is stuck on Ab.

Sorry to ask the obvious question but did you do a global reset after upgrading the firmware? Also you might want to look for problem preset(s) that did not upgrade properly and are causing the disconnect.  Lastly, you may want to check and make sure you have EXP 2 set to global rather than per preset if you used to set your volume globally via the expression pedal. If this happens only when connected to the Editor I would check in the Editor menu to make sure you have the latest version.

Sorry to ask the obvious question but did you do a global reset after upgrading the firmware? Also you might want to look for problem preset(s) that did not upgrade properly and are causing the disconnect.  Lastly, you may want to check and make sure you have EXP 2 set to global rather than per preset if you used to set your volume globally via the expression pedal. If this happens only when connected to the Editor I would check in the Editor menu to make sure you have the latest version.

Thanks very much for your help HonestOpinion.

I followed the update instructions closely and the update appeared to go smoothly. The display shows that Helixit is running 2.20.0 and I reset all of the global settings as instructed (I actually did this twice hoping it might resolve the problem). The new 2.2 presets are in place.

It happens when i scrolling a factory presets, not just mine. And i dont use the Editor.

Upgraded to 2.20 multiple times, different USB cables, different ports, no setlists or IRs added, just firmware presets. No luck.

Maybe its a tuner bug. When its happen I still can switch tones and even edit, but no sound, which was what made me check the input and notice the tuner is locked on Ab with the red and yellow indicators all the way left.

Sorry for my english, its not my first language.

Start a support ticket with Line 6. 

Thanks very much for your help HonestOpinion.

I followed the update instructions closely and the update appeared to go smoothly. The display shows that Helixit is running 2.20.0 and I reset all of the global settings as instructed (I actually did this twice hoping it might resolve the problem). The new 2.2 presets are in place.

It happens when i scrolling a factory presets, not just mine. And i dont use the Editor.

Upgraded to 2.20 multiple times, different USB cables, different ports, no setlists or IRs added, just firmware presets. No luck.

Maybe its a tuner bug. When its happen I still can switch tones and even edit, but no sound, which was what made me check the input and notice the tuner is locked on Ab with the red and yellow indicators all the way left.

Sorry for my english, its not my first language.

One more suggestion, I noticed you indicated you had run the global reset twice. Perhaps reinstalling the firmware again and then running the global reset might be worth a try. If that does not work I think jbuhajla's suggestion to open a ticket or call Line6 is a good idea.

Btw, I wish my command of a second language was even half as good as yours.

All presets turn on Variax modeling (with VDI).

Helix firmware 2.20

Variax firmware is the latest.

Unless I turn the modeling off and re-save, each preset turns on my Variax. Even on New Presets that are empty.

Looks like I have to go through all 300+ of my presets and re-save with the model turned off. Pretty time-consuming. 

With both my JTV59 and 89F.

Input set to Multi.

Variax Setting : per preset

Variax Model : Don't Force. If it is set to don't force, it should not be forcing.

It shouldn't be like this. I am assuming it is a firmware issue since it happens on both my Variaxes. The only other possibility is a bad VDI cable, but that seems unlikely.

Bug in Helix edit v2.20 re: editor display not properly tracking EXP pedal movement with pedal assigned to Amp Drive. I have a preset that uses EXP 2 (Helix Control unit) assigned to both the Amp Drive and the amp Channel volume in an inverse max/min relationship. As I move the EXP pedal from heel to toe I simultaneously increase the Drive level while decreasing the Channel Volume to keep the overall volume consistent. On the Helix Rack device I can see the display for both the Drive and Channel Volume levels change as I move the pedal. In Helix edit only the Channel Volume is correctly tracking the pedal movement; the Drive display in the editor does not change although the Drive level is clearly changing the sound.

I found something similar.  I was using a foot switch to increase drive and decrease volume.  Both parameters were in brackets indicating that the parameters would change but the Editor would not track the change on both parameters.  Drove me nuts because the earlier version of the editor did track the changes.  I reloaded firmware, patches several times.  Then I started looking at the UI on the Helix itself and both parameters were in fact changing.  

I hope this is fixed in 2.21

I have what appears to be a strange bug.

I have used my headphones with the Helix since I purchased it. Everything has worked as expected.

After updating to 2.20, my headphone knob does not control the volume of the right channel on the headphone output. The right channel sounds like it is Stuck on â€10â€. Left channel of the headphone out works normall. I'll have to check it with my FRFR tomorrow to see if that is true of the main outs as well.

I have rebooted a couple of times, but that hasn't helped. Also changed cords and double checked headphones. Seems like a strange routing bug or something.

Any ideas?

I've had issues today, where I'm editing a preset, not connected to a computer, and it's not responding to anything; effects added, taken off, bypassed, settings changed.  MIDI messages aren't going out, the sounds aren't changing.  Kinda concerned, as this is only two weeks old.  Do I re-flash the firmware, or just reboot it again?  

Firmware 2.20 Bug?

I have some presets where I change the amp model and some effects at the same time with one stomp mode switch.

There is a little “noise/latency†when I press the switch. It sounds like the blocks/parameters not switching exactly at the same time.

I didn’t have this problem in earlier firmware versions.

Firmware 2.20 Bug? I have some presets where I change the amp model and some effects at the same time with one stomp mode switch. There is a little “noise/latency†when I press the switch. It sounds like the blocks/parameters not switching exactly at the same time. I didn’t have this problem in earlier firmware versions.

This is probably a direct relation to the stomp switch lag, which is a confirmed bug that is being worked on by the Helix team.

Your description is likely exactly what's happening; a stepped, cascading kind of switching.

Watch for the next firmware (expected to be v2.21) upcoming; your issue will likely vanish with that.

I also recommend Snapshot mode to do this switching - perhaps try this by duplicating your preset, and work it out to do the switching that way.

I have an important preset which predates Snapshots, so my method is exactly as yours above - stomp switch swapping amps etc.

What I found when I did a test version using Snapshots to do the switching was that it was a smoother switch - no audible artifacts.

(I happen to think that the order in which you assign the changes to the stomp switch is important, in the smaller-details world; I stack them so that there's less likely to be noise, and that seems to work).

This is probably a direct relation to the stomp switch lag, which is a confirmed bug that is being worked on by the Helix team.

Your description is likely exactly what's happening; a stepped, cascading kind of switching.

Watch for the next firmware (expected to be v2.21) upcoming; your issue will likely vanish with that.

I also recommend Snapshot mode to do this switching - perhaps try this by duplicating your preset, and work it out to do the switching that way.

I have an important preset which predates Snapshots, so my method is exactly as yours above - stomp switch swapping amps etc.

What I found when I did a test version using Snapshots to do the switching was that it was a smoother switch - no audible artifacts.

(I happen to think that the order in which you assign the changes to the stomp switch is important, in the smaller-details world; I stack them so that there's less likely to be noise, and that seems to work).

OK, thanks for the information!

...I have reinstalled version 2.12 and and everything works fine.

So I hope they fix it soon

I set it up so I have my snapshots on the bottom row and stomps on top. I set a flanger to switch on and off momentary. Last night, while playing a gig, I pressed down on it to enable it, then lifted my foot up to disable it, but when I started playing the rest of the song, I noticed it was still on. After trying to turn it off, I noticed that it was still momentary, but the on/off was reversed. I played the rest of the song with my foot holding the switch down. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just hitting the wrong thing with my foot. But this happened to me twice now.

I'm still having this issue. I'm currently using fw 2.12. Was this fixed in the last update? It seems to happen intermittently. I created a laser gun effect, set to switch momentary for our cover of Rebel Yell and during a gig today it happened. I held it down but then it switched and when I lifted my foot the effect was still on and it reversed. I had to play the rest of song with my foot holding it down less the laser start firing. :)

Hi, I have problems with amp switching...

When I assign my amp channels in snapshot mode to a new preset, lets say: footswitch 1(green ch), fooswitch 2 (blue 2) and Footswitch 3(red ch) in command center, and press SAVE.

It works. SWITCH 3 CHANNELS

When I add a block effects loops to my preset, and press SAVE.

It works. SWITCH 3 CHANNELS

When I add any effects block, and press SAVE.

The green channel is gone, and replaced with the red channel, so STOPS WORKING 3 CHANNELS. So TIP + RING are not working any more...

CAn yuou tell what is going on?
Any solution to this?

I am with the latest upgrade.

Regarding fresh firmware 2.21.0;

According to the release notes;

- In rare cases, multiple bypass assigned footswitches with custom names can have bypass states swapped upon preset import - FIXED

My observation; not fixed. I have many patches with multiple-function stomps, and after re-import etc after update, they appear to all be swapped again.

Regarding fresh firmware 2.21.0;

According to the release notes;

- In rare cases, multiple bypass assigned footswitches with custom names can have bypass states swapped upon preset import - FIXED

My observation; not fixed. I have many patches with multiple-function stomps, and after re-import etc after update, they appear to all be swapped again.

That is a bummer. I wonder if the key is to import them, have their bypass state flip, export them, and then re-import them again, bypass state flips back to original setting... :P

That is a bummer. I wonder if the key is to import them, have their bypass state flip, export them, and then re-import them again, bypass state flips back to original setting... :P

Crazy enough to prompt me to test it out.

No dice.

Great suggestion though... definitely worth trying.

I went further; I corrected the LED state within v2.21.0, exported that, and re-imported it as well... same result; came back in flipped.

IMPORTANT DATA POINT; it seems that the ones which flip in my case invariably involve switching AMP & CAB/IR blocks on/off in toggle fashion - my other various function switches which switch other blocks and/or change parameters come in set to the same LED state as intended.

This is at least some new clarity on this.

Helix floor 2.21, spinning through the presets with the preset knob usually freezes up my unit.

I'm also having a problem where my unit is constantly dropping USB connection to both of my windows computers, running on performance mode, used on all ports, using 7 different cables, yet my HD500X is having no problem. It's been this way since 2.0

Wanted to report my bug here,

Ok so, the first thing is to route all the audio to the B path 1.PNG?dl=0

Everything is still sounding as intended, and you can see that the lower IR block shows IR #99 and that is in fact the IR that is audible. 2.PNG?dl=0

Now by dragging the top IR block  as show here 4.PNG?dl=0

The lower IR block still shows that it is on IR #99, but IR block #1 has now become audible. So audibly, the lower IR block has changed to the cab i have in my #1 slot, but visually the lower IR block has not changed at all, while all along, no change was intended.

Here is the preset.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8sjybv799rtenr/Hi%20Gain.hlx?dl=0

Obviously you will have to go through the motions.....and then after attempting with my preset, maybe attempting to build the preset from scratch on your own system might be useful? I dont *think* the type of IRs should matter. I dont know yet.

OS is Firmware 2.20 but this has been present for as long as i can remember. Maybe a year?

There seems to be a new switching bug which I haven't had before in my main patch.

I am switching a compressor block  in and out. It has a fair degree of compression and a compensating 10dB boost with the output level. On engaging the block there is a momentary surge in level which immediately drops to the correct amount. This has not happened before 2.21.

On making a new patch with just the compressor bock this is audible too. I'm using the deluxe comp but the studio comp also exhibits steppy switching.

Thanks! 

There seems to be a new switching bug which I haven't had before in my main patch.

I am switching a compressor block  in and out. It has a fair degree of compression and a compensating 10dB boost with the output level. On engaging the block there is a momentary surge in level which immediately drops to the correct amount. This has not happened before 2.21.

On making a new patch with just the compressor bock this is audible too. I'm using the deluxe comp but the studio comp also exhibits steppy switching.

Thanks! 

... I thought I'd heard this last evening.

I'm going to experiment to see, but I believe I will be seconding this report.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I am doing something wrong.. but pretty sure I'm not. 
I added a gain model to the end of my chain to makeup for the heavy EQ'ing I have to do to get that shrill sound out of the rectifier model. 
Gain defaults to +12. I set it to +3, save preset. 
Every time I switch to a different effect and back to gain it's back at +12 db again. 
Is it not possible to save this parameter? 

when adjusting 10 band EQ on floorboard it jumps to delay block. Actually I am editing this post because it is doing it for other blocks as well.
For example was just tweaking the amp settings and it jumped over to reverb. 

EDIT#2.
I have now realized it is because my finger is coming in contact with the individual foot switches. 
Moral of the story.. they are "touch sensitive" to bare skin. 

Is this common? lol 

when adjusting 10 band EQ on floorboard it jumps to delay block. Actually I am editing this post because it is doing it for other blocks as well.

For example was just tweaking the amp settings and it jumped over to reverb.

EDIT#2.

I have now realized it is because my finger is coming in contact with the individual foot switches.

Moral of the story.. they are "touch sensitive" to bare skin.

Is this common? lol

That's the capacitive touch footswitches... The whole point of having them is for quickly being able to assign blocks to footswitches and being able to quickly navigate around presets.

capacitive touch footswitches

Roger that.. thank you. I saw that but haven't gotten into all the other features yet. ​ I'm still concentrating on the sound. 

Honestly I didn't know what it meant and it seems more of an electrical grounding issue. hahaa

is there a way to disable it? I think I would rather hit the button.

I guess I can be more careful when editing I didn't realize they were touch sensitive until today. It's cool that should save wear on the buttons I suppose.
weird that when I touch them it will switch to the other block and editing mode. But when I press toe switch it just turns off and on without switching to that block.. that behavior was leading me to think something was wrong as well