Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Global Settings > Footswitches (Knob 1) allows for disabling the Touch Sensitivity feature.

Once you are aware of how to use the Touch Sensitivity feature, it really speeds up how fast and easy it is to get to any parameter of any footswitch assigned Block.

Yeah now that I know that it's there I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I guess I'm really paranoid after blowing so much money I am freaking out about every little thing. I feel like I'm scrambling to get "the sound" so I can get to recording but it has been a struggle.

I'm almost happy lol

I appreciate the info.

Wanted to update here to clarify my topic.

Ok so, the first thing is to route all the audio to the B path  as follows

1.PNG?raw=1

Everything is still sounding as intended, and you can see in the next pic that the lower IR block shows IR #99, and that IS in fact, the IR that is audible at this point.

2.PNG?raw=1

Now,  by dragging the top IR block as shown in the next pic

4.PNG?raw=1

The lower IR block still shows IR #99, but IR block #1 has now become audible. Audibly, the lower IR block has changed to the cab i have in my #1 slot, but visually, the lower IR block has not changed at all, while all along, no change was intended obviously. 

Here is the preset if you would like to try yourself.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8sjybv799rtenr/Hi%20Gain.hlx?dl=0

You will have to go through the motions i described above.....and then after attempting with my preset, maybe attempting to build the same preset from scratch on your own system might be useful?  The type of IRs (brand) have not had an impact so far.

Thanks. Appreciate any interest here.

Wanted to update here to clarify my topic.

Ok so, the first thing is to route all the audio to the B path  as follows

1.PNG?raw=1

Everything is still sounding as intended, and you can see in the next pic that the lower IR block shows IR #99, and that IS in fact, the IR that is audible at this point.

2.PNG?raw=1

Now,  by dragging the top IR block as shown in the next pic

4.PNG?raw=1

The lower IR block still shows IR #99, but IR block #1 has now become audible. Audibly, the lower IR block has changed to the cab i have in my #1 slot, but visually, the lower IR block has not changed at all, while all along, no change was intended obviously. 

Here is the preset if you would like to try yourself.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8sjybv799rtenr/Hi%20Gain.hlx?dl=0

You will have to go through the motions i described above.....and then after attempting with my preset, maybe attempting to build the same preset from scratch on your own system might be useful?  The type of IRs (brand) have not had an impact so far.

Thanks. Appreciate any interest here.

Firmware: v2.21.0 -61d1df5
Global Settings: Touch Select on, Preset Mode: 8 Snapshots, Stomp Mode: 8 Switches, Up/Down: Banks
Bug: Helix on and attached via USB to computer and via XLR (Left - Mono) to audio interface (UA Apollo Twin Duo). When editing "simple delay" in helix program if I tap in a tempo with the footswitch, the helix freezes and will not let me change anything. The helix program on the computer freezes as well. 

(Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

1. In User1 Bank with preset 01A

2. Input to multi in

3. Chain as follows: Teemah! to Minotaur to Compulsive Drive to Volume pedal to A-30 Fawn Brt to split A/B with routing a little above center. 

Path A to 1x12 US Deluxe Cab to rejoin

Path B to 4x12 Greenback25 to room verb to rejoin

4. output of 1A into input of 2A

5. 2A chain:

Tremolo to simple delay to multiout

6. Click on simple delay with home editor open

7. play guitar and tap in a tempo.

8. after a few different tempos tapped, helix freezes and must be shut down and restarted to work again. Audio still comes out the entire time on setting it was at before the freeze

Hey guys,

I just plugged in my condenser mic into my Helix, but the gain knob does absolutely nothing. Full gain? Normal (Low) signal. Gain at 0? Normal (Low) signal. This seems to be related to the latest firmware update, as I've used this before without issue until today.

Anyone else seeing this same issue?

Havent used the XLR inputs on the Helix but it makes sense to me that there is phantom power on board. Make sure its turned on for a condenser mic, if the mic doesnt already come supplied with it.

Havent used the XLR inputs on the Helix but it makes sense to me that there is phantom power on board. Make sure its turned on for a condenser mic, if the mic doesnt already come supplied with it.

I believe phantom power defaults to OFF in Global Settings whenever you do a firmware update. You may need to turn it on. 

So something is seriously wrong here. The Mic input is broken in every sense of the word. Connecting a mic gives very low input signal, but the gain knob does absolutely nothing. Minimum or maximum = the same input level. So I tried cycling Phantom power off and, well, it does;t turn off. My condenser mic still gets through, albeit at a completely unusably quiet level. What's up here Line 6?

So something is seriously wrong here. The Mic input is broken in every sense of the word. Connecting a mic gives very low input signal, but the gain knob does absolutely nothing. Minimum or maximum = the same input level. So I tried cycling Phantom power off and, well, it does;t turn off. My condenser mic still gets through, albeit at a completely unusably quiet level. What's up here Line 6?

As you note, something is very wrong, but it seems that you think it is a fault on the Helix.

So, I'm just thinkiing out loud here, but you don't say if you have tried using the condenser mic with other stuff to check it works? Also, do you have another mic that you know functions perfectly to test the Helix with. I would think it is simply a process of elimination to figure out where the fault lies. If it's your Helix, raise a ticket and have it repaired. Hope this helps.

As you note, something is very wrong, but it seems that you think it is a fault on the Helix.

So, I'm just thinkiing out loud here, but you don't say if you have tried using the condenser mic with other stuff to check it works? Also, do you have another mic that you know functions perfectly to test the Helix with. I would think it is simply a process of elimination to figure out where the fault lies. If it's your Helix, raise a ticket and have it repaired. Hope this helps.

I didn't mention the troubleshooting process I guess, but I've used multiple condenser mics that are all confirmed as working correctly with other gear. I honestly don't need the Helix for vocal tracking, but it allows me to use effects without any CPU overhead on my computer when I am tracking. I haven't tried a dynamic, but even if it worked, it wouldn't fix the problem we seem to have. It seems like the mic input on this thing has been plagued with problems. Not to mention, I can't send my tuner output to send 3/4 anymore either, so my polytune is now going unused as well. :(

I didn't mention the troubleshooting process I guess, but I've used multiple condenser mics that are all confirmed as working correctly with other gear. I honestly don't need the Helix for vocal tracking, but it allows me to use effects without any CPU overhead on my computer when I am tracking. I haven't tried a dynamic, but even if it worked, it wouldn't fix the problem we seem to have. It seems like the mic input on this thing has been plagued with problems. Not to mention, I can't send my tuner output to send 3/4 anymore either, so my polytune is now going unused as well. :(

Now it sounds like a firmware issue. Have you tried reinstalling the latest firmware?

Ver 2.21

When assigning the Time parameter for a Delay to the Snapshot Controller, the Helix does not maintain the saved setting for a Subdivision time (ie 1/4 .8 etc) vs a MS time, such as 600ms, in the other snapshots.  Even though they are both "Time Parameters" it seems to get confused on the difference between the two and will default all your other snapshots to the Time type you are picking in the currently selected snapshot instead of maintaining its saved Time and type in the other snapshots.  Does not let you mix between the 2 types (Subdivision vs MS).  Since the editor has a "Tempo Sync" button, that seems to need to be tied to snapshots as well.  I thought this might need to be submitted as a Ideascale entry, but it seems this is more of a bug since the Snapshot Controller should be controlling the Time Parameter as it is intended to do.

Ver 2.21

When assigning the Time parameter for a Delay to the Snapshot Controller, the Helix does not maintain the saved setting for a Subdivision time (ie 1/4 .8 etc) vs a MS time, such as 600ms, in the other snapshots.  Even though they are both "Time Parameters" it seems to get confused on the difference between the two and will default all your other snapshots to the Time type you are picking in the currently selected snapshot instead of maintaining its saved Time and type in the other snapshots.  Does not let you mix between the 2 types (Subdivision vs MS).  Since the editor has a "Tempo Sync" button, that seems to need to be tied to snapshots as well.  I thought this might need to be submitted as a Ideascale entry, but it seems this is more of a bug since the Snapshot Controller should be controlling the Time Parameter as it is intended to do.

Yeah, this isn't really a bug, per se. This is just how it currently works. You have to choose between setting a millisecond value or a note value for the delay, and you can't switch between the two within a preset. You can set the BPM per snapshot, though, So if do that, you can tap a tempo in one snapshot and when you go to the next one, it will go to whatever it's saved at.

Yeah, this isn't really a bug, per se. This is just how it currently works. You have to choose between setting a millisecond value or a note value for the delay, and you can't switch between the two within a preset. You can set the BPM per snapshot, though, So if do that, you can tap a tempo in one snapshot and when you go to the next one, it will go to whatever it's saved at.

Yeah I hear you but don't really want to get into per snapshot BPMs, as that can get really complicated.  It's already hard enough with all the parameters I have assigned to "per snapshot". One thing I do wish is there was an easier way to visually see which effects and parameters are assigned to a snapshot.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how I can get the Helix LT to revert to Performance View after switching off the tuner? In my current situation, it reverts to Signal Flow View. To revert to Performance View, I manually have to press the View button, which is not very practical during live performances.

Does anyone know how I can get the Helix LT to revert to Performance View after switching off the tuner? In my current situation, it reverts to Signal Flow View. To revert to Performance View, I manually have to press the View button, which is not very practical during live performances.

Or does any Helix LT owner experience the same problem? If feel like some simple setting is wrong, or else I would suppose that many other LT owners should experience the same issue.

Firmware: 2.21
Global Settings: 

Bug: INSTANCE COMMAND WHEN SAVING PRESET FORGETS EXT AMP SETTINGS.

I have already went through the support center, also put this into IDEASCALE, I THINK I WAS MISSING PLKACE THIS PETITION HERE.

I ALSO PUT THIS IN THE GEAR PAGE, AND MANY USERS AGREED IT WAS A BUG.

Petition to fix instance command bug when SAVE / add LOCK option

Idea Actions

Instance, they works well and change well between 3 channels of the EXT AMP until you SAVE THE PRESET, at that moment you lose always one channel (instance state).

It just records 2 states.

I know, 3 channel switching can be accomplish via footswitch assignment in command center, but the huge problem with that method, is that we lose 2 preset Footswitchs slots in edit mode, which are valuable for effects placement.

Other thing that is a problem with that, is that if you are in snapshot mode, and then you go to edit mode to add something, there, you have both EXT AMP assignment footswitches (which are the amp commands), and if you press by mistake one of those EXT AMP, you ruin the configuration of your amp switching Snapshot footswitches. So i think it would be awesome to have the ability to lock some preset that you don´t want to deal with in edit mode.

HERE is better explained:

1. Create  Instance command for footswitchs

You are in snapshot mode, and you want to set up 3 channel amp switching via instance command:

1st: You go to a snapshot 1, and set instance Tip+Ring. (CLEAN CHANNEL - green in my amp, Mesa Electra Dyne)

2nd: You go to a snapshot 2, and set instance Tip (LOW GAIN CHANNEL- blue in my amp, Mesa Electra Dyne)

3erd: You go to a snapshot 1, and set instance Ring (HI GAIN CHANNEL- red in my amp, Mesa Electra Dyne)

After that setup, you go through the different snapshots, press the 3 different footswitches, and they work well, you can do amp switching between the 3 channels of the amp, without problem, until...

2-You go ahead and press SAVE, as the result of saving, one of the 3 instances disappeared.

• It just record Tip, and Ring.
  • It does not record Tip+Ring.

(So you cannot do 3 channels amp switch via Instances command, because it always when saving forget a 3rd. instance.)

You just can't switch between 3 channels via footswitch assignment, which is not cool, because you lose 2 effects slots using amp switching in that way, (when you are in effects mode).

• 2 weeks later...

In the Helix V2.21.0 release, the MIDI sys clock implementation seems very dependent on UI activity.  To replicate:  1. generate MIDI clock and monitor the BPM.  2.  Bring up any effect for edit, and twist one of the parameter knobs thus causing the clock to vary wildly.

By itself, this isn't an issue for configuration, however the issue also occurs if you have tied and expression pedal to a parameter controller, and then adjust the expression pedal during play.  Using a MIDI controlled delay for instance, while varying a WAH pedal will cause the delay echo to spin out of control.  Similarly, using the same MIDI controlled echo, and pressing a snapshot button will have the same effect. 

From a SW perspective, It's like the MIDI clock generation isn't in a high priority process relative to the UI which can tolerate a few milliseconds of delay.  That MIDI clock has be fairly solid otherwise were stuck using a separate generator. 

In the Helix V2.21.0 release, the MIDI sys clock implementation seems very dependent on UI activity. To replicate: 1. generate MIDI clock and monitor the BPM. 2. Bring up any effect for edit, and twist one of the parameter knobs thus causing the clock to vary wildly.

By itself, this isn't an issue for configuration, however the issue also occurs if you have tied and expression pedal to a parameter controller, and then adjust the expression pedal during play. Using a MIDI controlled delay for instance, while varying a WAH pedal will cause the delay echo to spin out of control. Similarly, using the same MIDI controlled echo, and pressing a snapshot button will have the same effect.

From a SW perspective, It's like the MIDI clock generation isn't in a high priority process relative to the UI which can tolerate a few milliseconds of delay. That MIDI clock has be fairly solid otherwise were stuck using a separate generator.

They dealt with some of these types of issues in 2.21, but it sounds like perhaps some of them still persist. Anyway, I know this is something they're aware of.

They dealt with some of these types of issues in 2.21, but it sounds like perhaps some of them still persist. Anyway, I know this is something they're aware of.

I went back to the Helix in question and found that it was still running v.2.20, so my mistake.  I updated to v.2.21 and re-checked the behavior.  It seems solid enough now for for what I was expecting.  So mark that bug "Pilot error"

I have the latest update and firmware on my new Helix Rack and control.  A strange thing is occurring on mine.  When I save my entire preset to a new area, the delay no longer works.  Very strange.  All of the other effects copy perfectly but for some strange reason, I can't get the delay to work.  Not sure why?  

I plugged in an expression pedal in order to use it to control wah and i tried to change the controller assignments in the preset..Eventhough i try the 'LEARN' function the system couldn't recognize the pedal. 

Then i figure out that in the global preferences, i have to switch the external 2 selection (which was set to expression pedal 2 already) to amp and then switch it back to expression pedal..Then it recognized the pedal and i assigned the controls.

But the weird thing is i have to do that for every presets.. Otherwise helix lt can't recognize the expression pedal..

Now i have to go to global settings first and switch the setting to amp and back to expression pedal and then set the assignments..And repeat this for every presets again and again.. 

And i have to add that:

The expression pedal 2 doesn't work if i change the preset and then turn back to that preset which i assigned wah control.. I have to repeat the global setting thing..

I plugged in an expression pedal in order to use it to control wah and i tried to change the controller assignments in the preset..Eventhough i try the 'LEARN' function the system couldn't recognize the pedal. 

Then i figure out that in the global preferences, i have to switch the external 2 selection (which was set to expression pedal 2 already) to amp and then switch it back to expression pedal..Then it recognized the pedal and i assigned the controls.

But the weird thing is i have to do that for every presets.. Otherwise helix lt can't recognize the expression pedal..

Now i have to go to global settings first and switch the setting to amp and back to expression pedal and then set the assignments..And repeat this for every presets again and again.. 

And i have to add that:

The expression pedal 2 doesn't work if i change the preset and then turn back to that preset which i assigned wah control.. I have to repeat the global setting thing..

For using just one external expression pedal, I plug it into EXP3. That way the on board EXP 1 and EXP2 functionality does change and I still have the toe switch, but I use EXP3 for other duties. You shouldn't have to change any of your presets to make that work. 

I have helix lt, so i can't do as you said..It has only 1 expression pedal input so i have to change every presets.

But the worst is, as i mentioned above, i can't use it after changing presets.. It keeps the controll settings in the presets but can't recognize the expression pedal after changing and recalling a preset.

I have helix lt, so i can't do as you said..It has only 1 expression pedal input so i have to change every presets.

But the worst is, as i mentioned above, i can't use it after changing presets.. It keeps the controll settings in the presets but can't recognize the expression pedal after changing and recalling a preset.

Are you using a regular TS cable (not a TRS cable) with your expression pedal?

It is TRS, it has 2 black circles on both sides.

I suspect that may be the issue. You need to use a TS cable for the expression pedal control.

What expression pedal are you using? Expression pedals that use TRS wiring schemes are generally not compatible with Helix, although some may work when you use a TS cable with them.

I suspect that may be the issue. You need to use a TS cable for the expression pedal control.

What expression pedal are you using? Expression pedals that use TRS wiring schemes are generally not compatible with Helix, although some may work when you use a TS cable with them.

TS cable works! Thanks a lot..

I've just updated to ver. 2.21. I have my Roland GR-55 connected to my Helix. When I change a patch on Helix, it automatically changes the GR-55 patch to the one I have chosen. This worked perfectly with ver. 2.2. I now find that this doesn't work anymore in ver. 2.21 Does anyone have any ideas, or has Line 6 screwed up on this?

I have crackling on USB audio in or out. I've re-downloaded the driver/editor (windows 10), reset to factory specs; still same. Not sure what else to do but I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue. Now I can change the sample rate; do I have to match these manually for it to work?

I have crackling on USB audio in or out. I've re-downloaded the driver/editor (windows 10), reset to factory specs; still same. Not sure what else to do but I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue. Now I can change the sample rate; do I have to match these manually for it to work?

Crackling is often a buffer overflow issue.  What are your system specs and input buffer settings?

Crackling is often a buffer overflow issue.  What are your system specs and input buffer settings?

I troubleshot it and it worked only with 24 bit at 48khz. It's still crackling but at a minimum; not passible for recording. at least i know it's not hardware though so thanks

I troubleshot it and it worked only with 24 bit at 48khz. It's still crackling but at a minimum; not passible for recording. at least i know it's not hardware though so thanks

But did you change the HEADROOM parameter? THAT's where the crackling happens.

I've just updated to ver. 2.21. I have my Roland GR-55 connected to my Helix. When I change a patch on Helix, it automatically changes the GR-55 patch to the one I have chosen. This worked perfectly with ver. 2.2. I now find that this doesn't work anymore in ver. 2.21 Does anyone have any ideas, or has Line 6 screwed up on this?

Check your MIDI settings in Global. When you do a firmware update, all global parameters revert back to factory default.