Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Firmware - 2.80.0

Global Settings - XLR Outputs LINE

Bug - XLR output volume lower after firmware update (Helix LT)

1. Power on Helix LT, XLR Outputs already set to LINE

2. Output volume lower than usual

3. Changing XLR Outputs from LINE to MIC and back to LINE

4. Output volume now is the same as before the update

5. Switch off Helix LT and turn it on again

6. XLR Outputs already set to LINE, but output volume is low again

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:04 PM, MichaelSBecker said:

Helix Floor 2.8

When Helix is turned on the expression pedal (which I use mainly for volume) always reverts back to EXP 2 and is in the "bypass" mode even though it is saved as being "on" and EXP 1.

This started immediately after the 2.8 update.

Thanks.

I'm also seeing the built-in pedal setting itself to EXP2, despite the preset having it set to EXP1, on power-up after installing 2.8.

(Why anyone thought that the built-in pedal should default to EXP2, rather than EXP1, in the first place beggars belief...)

On 7/26/2019 at 5:29 AM, kotaroz1971 said:

OK Let's see. 

Wow thats crazy i read somewhere someone managed to fix it by doing several FS restores
I don't have that experience at all  on 2.80 mine is like yours on 2.71 on my IR try out preset
It does have a little drop in volym on some of the IR's but thats beacuse they didnt have the same volym as they came from diffent vendors i of course volym match the one i like best to all my other IR's so i dont have to raise the volym in the IR block in case i gonna use it on another preset..

I have an issue with the volume pedal, I use exp 1 to control the mix on my delay, and exp 2 as a volume. The problem seems to be, exp 1 works great on the delays, but when I switch to the volume pedal, it also controls the mix on my delays. Not sure what to do about this

Hi,

a quick ticket - not in a mood to write long reports after wasting half a working day on what should have been a 45-second operation. But maybe it helps others. The solution is not immediately obvious from spending a "reasonable" amount of time reading forum threads.

The "HX Stomp" update process for legacy firmware 2.64 appears to be near-dysfunctional on Windows right now. I managed to go up to 2.70 only by downloading the oldest available "edit" software, running the updater, using offline mode, and manually flashing the 2.70 .hdx. Everything else didn't work for various reasons (exclamation mark in device manager => wrong drivers for the old FW, but also the device showing in the updater and the update failing, including .hdx file mode.

I succeeded on a Windows 10 installation. Similar attempts from my Win 8.1 PC failed.

Bug in HX Stomp (happens in 2.71 and 2.80)

When tapping tempo via midi (Disaster Area DMC.micro) my FS3 turns red while in Snapshot mode and Stomp mode. This doesn't happen all the time and switching modes or pressing the switch makes it go back.

I updated correctly to 2.80.1 and now on all my presets I´m missing/losing the CC Toggle settings when using snapshots.

When I load a preset the cc# I programmed on the switches are there but as soon as I switch on a snapshot, they're gone. what am I doing wrong? or is it a bug?

15 hours ago, Guitarmaniac64 said:

Wow thats crazy i read somewhere someone managed to fix it by doing several FS restores
I don't have that experience at all  on 2.80 mine is like yours on 2.71 on my IR try out preset
It does have a little drop in volym on some of the IR's but thats beacuse they didnt have the same volym as they came from diffent vendors i of course volym match the one i like best to all my other IR's so i dont have to raise the volym in the IR block in case i gonna use it on another preset..

Bug Is Bug....if this problem came from different volume .. FW 2.71 must have this gap too.but it's only in 2.8.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, kotaroz1971 said:

OK Let's see. 

I set up a patch to test this out using my Helix Rack & Control, running firmware 2.80.

As with this video, I found the bloom/lag present.

Here's more data for the bug report:

The bloom audible gap happens even when the IR selected in the recalled Snapshot is the same one as the previous Snapshot.

Removing Snapshot control of the IR selection instantly eliminates the gap.

So, it would seem that having Snapshot control assigned to the IR selection causes a re-load of the IR when a Snapshot is called up.

However, if the preset is set up so that an amp & cab are being alternated with an amp & IR combination, there's no gap when enabling the IR along with the other amp.

So bypass state changing to enabled does not appear to introduce any type of audible gap.

Just for information's sake.

• Thanks 1

Firmware - 2.80

Helix Floor

Snapshots not working:

1) Half of my patches would not change snapshots properly. I was initially using HXEdit and  it was giving me an error message. So I tried the actual switches on the Helix - I would push a switch to change snapshots and nothing would happen. The ring would stay lit around the snap that was active when the patch was loaded no matter which snap I selected and the sound did not change. I tried to sent snap change commands via cc69 but this too failed. In one of my patches, the sound WOULD change, but the snap ring would not change. 

Patch volumes half as loud:

2) The patch volume for every patch I tried was significantly quieter. I use meters to make sure all of my patches are consistent. So I was shocked to see that the levels were approximately HALF of what I am used to seeing. I did not take the time to determine what this difference equated to in terms of decibels, but it was half of the value I set my patches to on the meter. I know that there have been some users reporting volume fluctuations when using Jason Sadites' LA Comp at the end of their signal chain, but I am not using that technique.

• Upvote 1

Firmware 2.8 - helix floor

With 2.8 the transparent tap tempo works when manually changing tempo by tapping. However when tempo is per snapshot, changing snapshots causes the warble with the time based effects.

Unfortunately, this is issue affects me because I am on stage several times a month and transitions between songs is now difficult with this bug.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:55 AM, MonkeyXT said:

I set up a patch to test this out using my Helix Rack & Control, running firmware 2.80.

As with this video, I found the bloom/lag present.

Here's more data for the bug report:

The bloom audible gap happens even when the IR selected in the recalled Snapshot is the same one as the previous Snapshot.

Removing Snapshot control of the IR selection instantly eliminates the gap.

So, it would seem that having Snapshot control assigned to the IR selection causes a re-load of the IR when a Snapshot is called up.

However, if the preset is set up so that an amp & cab are being alternated with an amp & IR combination, there's no gap when enabling the IR along with the other amp.

So bypass state changing to enabled does not appear to introduce any type of audible gap.

Just for information's sake.

Hmm so why dont i have a gap and many others aswell ?
Is it a bug that only happens to some units or is it something else?

3 hours ago, Guitarmaniac64 said:

Hmm so why dont i have a gap and many others aswell ?
Is it a bug that only happens to some units or is it something else?

That is most definitely the question.

What's your hardware?

I'm using Rack/Control. The original is using ... I've forgotten. I think it was Helix LT in the video...

Another question; if you go to a preset which uses an active IR, and you position the 'cursor' over the IR, when changing to a different IR by scrolling with the encoder, do you hear an audible gap at that time?

(I do - far more so than I did with 2.71)

EDIT: further to this, my patch has none of the other known 'problem' aspects present like the LA Comp etc... it's a stripped down bare-bones patch.

It didn't previously have Snapshots going for it, so I set those up specifically to test changing IRs with the Snapshot controller function.

No other parameters or enable/bypass functions were happening with that patch for the test.

1 Footswitch looper bug:

If I set up the 1 swtich looper, I can punch in fine and then punch out.  

I think the problem is with the double tap to stop the loop.  It seems to have trouble reading that and just goes into record for an overdub.

then if you do get it stopped after a few attempts.  If you long press to erase the loop the led stays lit.

So in general there are some things going on in there.

This acutally got me thinking.  It would be nice if Line 6 could offer long press and double tap as an option for programming footswitches.

Especially for command centre which I use to control my voice live rack for vocal harmonies etc.

It would be really nice to have the harmonies set to momentary... but double tap would turn them on and off all on the same footswitch.

• Upvote 1

Further to my previous post regarding the IR switching fade-in/audible gap issue:

Last evening I determined that I might do well to re-install fw 2.80 again: as I recall, the one thing that I didn't wipe was the IRs. I considered that there was a possible relocation or fragmentation causing the lag, so I did a full factory reset of all aspects, then went about putting in 2.80 again fresh.

My installationS were fraught with just about every install process issue that has been reported here, things which oddly didn't happen during my initial 2.80 installation.

The install failed (repeatedly), reporting the failure after having 'completed' the process (not a mid-point hang as some have been stuck at).

In one instance it stalled at that half-way point, and refused to recover from that, despite various 'goosing' actions which previously worked.

During re-import of my setlists (which I did individually, not as a full-state backup restore), the last one was plagued with the 'names not found' error.

In one of those instances, I actually found that NONE of the presets had names - even the factory and template setlist presets (though I think the processing blocks etc were in place). That was a surprise to find after the fact. I almost want to think that this error circumstance might have been an error created by HX Edit - perhaps the large amount of memory handling in one-after-the-other fashion ultimately wasn't handled 'legally' for the OS.

Ultimately I found that restarting everything fresh, and then finishing up with that one setlist, did get it in place (apparently) correctly.

The kicker; no difference in IR loading/switching - when assigned to the Snapshot controller and changing the IR selection with different presets, the audible fade-in/gap was exactly the same, including when re-selecting that Snapshot.

This occurred in the same fashion whether the Snapshot function was set to re-load or toggle between previous Snapshot.

Simply going in and manually changing the IR causes the very same audible lag and bloom/fade-in.

To reiterate; this is Helix Rack & Control, updated to firmware 2.80, hooked to an otherwise (knock on wood) well-functioning PC running Windows 7.

This is the first firmware revision update to date with which I've encountered any issues. I've had it for just over 3 years and counting.

1 hour ago, vypole said:

In 2.8 when switching between snapshots bass and mid on amp values turned to maximum. On helix display it looks in 2000 and 90000, on HX editor 10.0. Please help!

I've had this issue intermittently since I've had my Helix; it's never been a bug that I've been able to reproduce from scratch, so I was told that perhaps I had presets that were corrupt.  It's interesting that the values on your helix exceed 10, mine never did that.  What I did notice was that if I open the preset file on my computer with a text editor or comparable application, the value for that snapshot state parameter would exceed 10 (for example, it would be 45 [see video link below if interested, but it's a long video]), but it seemed that the Helix never allowed the value to go over 10 and the bar beneath the value would be maxed to the right.  I haven't updated to 2.8 yet due to all the bugs I'm seeing here, but I'm wondering if something was lost in the code that dictates what max value the Helix is displayed.  Interesting problem to see, please keep us posted on your outcomes!

possible bug: when i start up my helix my expression pedal 2 is not calibrated right, like half way is 100% full toe is back to 35% again, i use it mainly for delay mix and feedback,  I have to reload the patch again and then it is ok.

it's not a big deal but u never had this issue with other firmwares.

• Upvote 1

Issues with Reverse Delay timing.
Setup
Helix Rack and Native (ver 2.8).
In cubase record a click track at 60bpm though Helix Rack and another though Native.
Use stereo so that helix path 1 with Reverse Delay is panned hard left and path 2 direct input is panned hard right for reference.
Reverse Delay is set at 1second time, 0 feedback, 100%mix, modulation is off. 
No other effects used.
Wave files were recorded over a few minutes.
On the Helix Rack they show that the timing of the output from the Reverse Delay varies from approx 2s, to approx 0s. 

With Helix Native the time of the delay hardly varies at all using the same Reverse Delay effect settings BUT seems to be approx 1.5seconds or more, depending on where measured.

On the Helix Rack with the input split to path1a-output left, and 1b-ouput right, using identical Reverse Delays on each, the outputs show different delay times. The times of each echo seem to be drifting from a different starting point. 

I am concerned that the above may be the result of an underlying problem with the internal timing of the Helix Rack. 

reverse echo helix rack vs native.JPG

Bugs after udtate to 2.8 (Helix LT)

soft touching button to copy snapshot doesn´t work at all. Only swap work. :( Without hx edit, you can´t copy snapshot!!

Big troubles with EXP1/2 pedal snapshots doesn´t hold EXP(green or red) state which has been saved. So when I have volume on green and wah on red I can do volume swell on all four snapshots. But when I want to save for ex. to snapshot 4 solo with wah, the red state is still ON on all snapshots :(((( Unpossibe to use now...

• Upvote 1

I have my helix XLR outputs set to Line Level, but when i restart the machine the level goes down to mic even if in the global setting still says Line, to fix it i need everytime i start my helix to put the level to mic and then again to Line.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:43 AM, amor4jc-2 said:

Firmware - 2.80

Helix Floor

Snapshots not working:

1) Half of my patches would not change snapshots properly. I was initially using HXEdit and  it was giving me an error message. So I tried the actual switches on the Helix - I would push a switch to change snapshots and nothing would happen. The ring would stay lit around the snap that was active when the patch was loaded no matter which snap I selected and the sound did not change. I tried to sent snap change commands via cc69 but this too failed. In one of my patches, the sound WOULD change, but the snap ring would not change. 

Patch volumes half as loud:

2) The patch volume for every patch I tried was significantly quieter. I use meters to make sure all of my patches are consistent. So I was shocked to see that the levels were approximately HALF of what I am used to seeing. I did not take the time to determine what this difference equated to in terms of decibels, but it was half of the value I set my patches to on the meter. I know that there have been some users reporting volume fluctuations when using Jason Sadites' LA Comp at the end of their signal chain, but I am not using that technique.

Yea, the second point is what i am talking about, this is because the level gets automatically set to MIC

1 hour ago, Ostrovsky said:

I solved the problem. The reason was active trails on delay. Very strange

You didn't mention which particular delay had the slight crackle?

If it was on one of the Delays that have an "Headroom" option it could be that which needs adjusting. As I recall there was report of some instances of "crackles and pops" occurring when using the older style delays. (Sweep Echo, Transistor Tape, Adriatic and Elephant Man). Solution: – Turn up the Headroom to about +5db and refine from there. It was something to do with the way the original delays functioned.

If not that – then what you found was something new.

I've just uploaded my helix to 2.8

When I was using 2.71, I set up a preset for each song.  Each preset had several snapshots, ie 1. main song, 2. solos, 3 bridge etc.

Now that I have loaded 2.8.  The snap shots are only showing the various songs, I'm not able to view the individual parts of each song any longer.

hope you understand that?

Any one help...im really stuck

I seem to have discovered a 2.8 firmware bug. If you switch the Tap Tempo LED off under Global Settings (Displays), Footswitch 2's LED will become intermittent when switching modes. (if FS 2 block is ON in a preset, and you switch modes, when you switch back the block is still on, but the LED is off. Touch any capacitive switch and FS 2's LED comes back on.) Going into FS TEST mode shows all functions positive for switch, and this only occurs after switching the Tap Temp LED off in Global Settings.

2 hours ago, beasleb said:

I've just uploaded my helix to 2.8

When I was using 2.71, I set up a preset for each song.  Each preset had several snapshots, ie 1. main song, 2. solos, 3 bridge etc.

Now that I have loaded 2.8.  The snap shots are only showing the various songs, I'm not able to view the individual parts of each song any longer.

hope you understand that?

Any one help...im really stuck

This update resets your Global Settings, so unless you restored from a backup, those will be back at the default settings. It sounds like you had Preset Mode set to be one of the Snapshot/Preset split modes. Go to Global Settings>Footswitches>Preset Mode Switches and select the view you would like.

Snapshot bug discovered!

I use the PowerCab (v2.0) and Helix (2.8) and the snapshot function will not change from 'speaker' to 'flat' or 'User IR' with a snapshot change. The only one that does work on the screen below is 'Remote', but that's it.

Capture.thumb.JPG.3f0e96463ffce64ba660fc82541de003.JPG

1 hour ago, jonboyuk said:

Snapshot bug discovered!

I use the PowerCab (v2.0) and Helix (2.8) and the snapshot function will not change from 'speaker' to 'flat' or 'User IR' with a snapshot change. The only one that does work on the screen below is 'Remote', but that's it.

Capture.thumb.JPG.3f0e96463ffce64ba660fc82541de003.JPG

There is a bug with the parameter values for the Powercab tab not updating correctly in HX Edit, but the snapshot changes should still be working. You should see them changing on the Helix itself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

There is a bug with the parameter values for the Powercab tab not updating correctly in HX Edit, but the snapshot changes should still be working. You should see them changing on the Helix itself.

Helix and PC+ working right is a MAJOR Evolution for this old coot- so as long as the parameter values for Powercab tab (within HX Edit) is fixed, it's all good... Thanks for the heads-up on this one Phil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

Ah that's fab, so it's just a minor update for HX Edit then! I hadn't noticed but thanks for the update Phil :)

Helix LT Version: 2.80

Tap Tempo Pitch of Global Settings: Transparent

Please be reported that when changing snapshots(with different tempo) in a preset, there are pitch shifting noises.  I have downgraded the firmware to 2.71 and the problem is not found anymore.  It is believed to be a bug in firmware 2.8.  

I would be grateful for a fix in the coming firmware 2.81. Thank you very much.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:45 PM, Ostrovsky said:

I got a click ( slight crackle) when switching presets. Firmware 2.80. It appeared on both Helix LT and Helix Stomp. On the previous firmware was not such. How to fix?

I have the same gap but i dont have the trails on, on the 2.70 i didnt have that issue, maybe another bug? Idk but its very uncomfortable. Please fix this!

Bug on Helix Floor, 2.80.  Using foot/stomp edit mode.  No other expression pedals plugged in.  When I change a parameter value using the pedal, the pedal simultaneously changes the parameter value and the EXP2 value.  It's only supposed to change the parameter value.  Since I have EXP2 assigned to a volume block in my patches, when I use the foot/stomp editor, my volume goes up and down while i tweak effect parameters.

Oh, I'll also confirm the pops when switching between presets, and the audible fade-in/gap when switching IR's.  Mine does both of these too.