Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

On 8/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Here is the general process. If anyone who has rolled back from this version wants to chime in please do. I am still on 2.81

1. Make backups first as always
  2. Run the version of the Updater(1.18) that was unpacked with the 2.81 firmware.  Do NOT install the old version of HX Edit yet.
  3. Scroll down and find the version of the firmware, for example 2.60, that you want to roll back to. Follow the instructions and rollback your firmware.
  4. Download and install the version of HX Edit that you rolled back to, for example 2.6. This will include that version's matching copy of the Updater, driver, and HX Edit.
  5. Do a global reset on the Helix to restore the Factory and Template directories for that firmware version.
  6. Use the rollback version( 2.60) of HX Edit to restore your backup or setlists from that version of the firmware(2.60). Do NOT use your 2.81 backups as they may have parameters and blocks that will not exist yet in your 2.60 firmware.
  7. Restart the Helix to allow your presets a final rebuild.
  8. Don't forget to downgrade Native if you want all your HX versions to match up for max compatibility.

Hey guys, just following up - and thanks to HonestOpinion for those directions!  I was able to get restored back to 2.6 and it seems everything is back to how it was before the 2.81 update.

*NOTE - when following the above directions, I went to the Line 6 website to download the 2.6 HX Edit.  The download package was labeled 2.6 and everything - however, when I ran the installer, it said it was installing 2.8.  It made me nervous, so I looked to see if I could send Line 6 a support message but noticed that they don't work on weekends.  I pretty much need this up and running this weekend, so I rolled the dice and decided to run with the 2.8 version of HX Edit.  It seems that it didn't matter because it was able to reload and restore my 2.6 backup just fine.

11 hours ago, rocketop777 said:

... I pretty much need this up and running this weekend, so I rolled the dice and decided to run with the 2.8 version of HX Edit.  It seems that it didn't matter because it was able to reload and restore my 2.6 backup just fine.

That makes sense. Later versions of the editor are supposed to be backwards compatible. I prefer keeping my firmware-'HX Edit'-Native versions matched up to minimize potential issues but if this is working fine for you great.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:41 AM, EzeCerino said:

Hi

Does any body experience this same issue?

I've updated my Helix Floor from 2.7 to 2.80 and all my vintage delay blocks become a sort of ghost.It disappears from the signal path but they are still sounding in the back. If you try to do something that involves the delay parameters, even changing the tap tempo, it stops.

I've already update my firmware to 2.81 and restore this presets from the 2.71 backup and still the same.

This is my main delay so i don't wanna to reload every preset manually. So if anybody can help me, i'll be happy. 

Hola, 

Alguien tuvo el mismo problema?

Actualicé el firmware del 2.7 a 2.80 y mi bloque de vintage delay se transformó en una especie de fantasma. El bloque desapareció pero aun sigue sonando. Si muevo cualquier parámetro relacionado al delay, este deja de sonar. 

Actualicé al 2.81 y restauré los presets desde el 2.71 pero todavía sigue el mismo problema

Es mi delay principal y no quiero tener que volver a cargarlos de cero. Si alguien puede ayudarme, excelte

Regards,

Saludos.

Yes getting a similar problem. Just went to edit some patches and i couldn't understand why i was getting delay when the Helix clearly showed that no delay existed. When i viewed the patch in Edit on the PC, there was a vintage delay that was activated and on but did not exist on the Helix screen.

Obviously, I originally created the patch with that delay involved and it was built previous to firmware update 2.80. HX Edit is showing the patch correctly - and the patch sounds correctly - but the screen on the Helix is showing a blank block.

If I copy and paste the delay block on HX Edit, where I paste the block to also shows a blank block on the Helix screen. To get the Helix to show the block correctly, I have to reprogram the block back in on the Helix itself.

If I highlight the block with the joystick on the Helix, it's not recognizing an effect there, but it does have the parameters of the invisible effect, which values can be changed with the rotary knobs (see final pic).

20190818_181241.jpg

20190818_181148.jpg

20190819_094717.jpg

Helix Floor
Firmware 2.81

Upgraded direct from 2.71 about 5 gigs ago. The previous gigs on 2.81 went fine but tonight something went very wrong.
Booting went straight to snapshots mode (I don't use snapshots) and there was no way to return to my patches . The 'cancel' option was displaying on the mode button which should have taken me back to my patches, but it didn't do anything, nor did pressing both bank buttons together which also should have returned to patches. 
I checked globals, tried setting to 8 presets (usually use stomp/preset) and also tried changing setlist to FACTORY 1 (to rule out a problem with my user patches). I rebooted about 10 times but there was no way out of snapshots view. The only way I could save the gig was when I discovered if I use the bank button it would allow me to select a patch, but once selected it goes straight back to snaps view and then I had to press bank down twice to get it back to the same row of patches, and I had to do this for the rest of the night with every patch change.

Resetting globals (5&6) and the issue appears to be gone which suggests a bug or some corruption of the settings, even if the globals had been changed (which were definitely not changed by me since the previous gig 2 days earlier) , I should have been able to toggle back to patches by pressing bank up/down at the same time, or cancel (which the mode button was displaying), plus I checked globals several times and it was definitely still set to stomp/preset.

I also think my sound was affected, very harsh like pad was turned off even though it said it was on in global settings.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, studiox19 said:

Yes getting a similar problem. Just went to edit some patches and i couldn't understand why i was getting delay when the Helix clearly showed that no delay existed. When i viewed the patch in Edit on the PC, there was a vintage delay that was activated and on but did not exist on the Helix screen.

Obviously, I originally created the patch with that delay involved and it was built previous to firmware update 2.80. HX Edit is showing the patch correctly - and the patch sounds correctly - but the screen on the Helix is showing a blank block.

If I copy and paste the delay block on HX Edit, where I paste the block to also shows a blank block on the Helix screen. To get the Helix to show the block correctly, I have to reprogram the block back in on the Helix itself.

If I highlight the block with the joystick on the Helix, it's not recognizing an effect there, but it does have the parameters of the invisible effect, which values can be changed with the rotary knobs (see final pic).

20190818_181241.jpg

20190818_181148.jpg

20190819_094717.jpg

Same thing. I think is the vintage delay, i don't have any issue with others bloks.
I submitted a support ticket, if i found the solution i'll let you know.

It is a Floor or a LT?

• Upvote 1

2.81 issue.

In my patch in stomp mode I have assign EXT amp in order to change channels of my Engl Powerball 2.

FS 1 (ring) channel 2

FS 2 (tip) channel 3

FS 3 (tip&ring) channel 4

If I press in order FS1 - FS2 and FS3 all was perfect in 2.80. (i.e. channel 2 - channel 3, channel 4)

Now in 2.81 if I press FS1 - FS2 and FS3 it goes in channel 2 - channel 4 - channel 4.

For me it's a problem, I use a lot channel 2 (crunch) then channel 3 (lead 1) in this order. To access in channel 3 I have to go directly to it by the clean channel, not using channel 2.

I rolled back to 2.80 but I hate the expressione pedal problem (set to exp 2 at every reboot). Opened a ticket.

I have a helix floor that was purchased new this year from Line 6 directly. Following the 2.8 update when I import new presets I'm getting corruption further down on the setlist. I've factory reset my presets numerous times (4+) and it continues to happen. When I attempt to copy over the corrupt preset entries with either blank new presets or purchased presets I get an error and the device freezes. Posting here before I open a ticket.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 4.07.09 PM.jpg

4 hours ago, EzeCerino said:

Same thing. I think is the vintage delay, i don't have any issue with others bloks.
I submitted a support ticket, if i found the solution i'll let you know.

It is a Floor or a LT?

Thanks Eze, it's a Floor. Keep me in the loop :-)

Hi,

I use tracktion7 for DTM.

After updating Helix farmware to v2.81.1, tracktion7 recognizes Helix LT as HX stomp (it means that `HX stomp' is displayed on ASIO driver of tracktion7)!

Before updating, v2.71 is recognized as Helix LT on tracktion7.

Any solutions? Is downgrading to v2.71 the only way? 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, page6833 said:

Hi,

I use tracktion7 for DTM.

After updating Helix farmware to v2.81.1, tracktion7 recognizes Helix LT as HX stomp (it means that `HX stomp' is displayed on ASIO driver of tracktion7)!

Before updating, v2.71 is recognized as Helix LT on tracktion7.

Any solutions? Is downgrading to v2.71 the only way? 

This may have something to do with the issue that for example Helix Rack users have been reporting regarding the so called "HX Stomp Drivers" driver that makes up one of the check boxes being displayed when HX Edit is installed. The "HX Stomp Drivers" driver actually, according to some folks who have examined it in depth, assuming they are correct, is a driver for other HX devices not listed in its description such as the Helix. The other possibility is you did not check the Helix driver when you did your HX Edit 2.81 install. My suspicion is that you have the correct ASIO driver; it is just displaying the wrong name. This may have something to do with the move to the CORE codebase and the addition and/or requiring driver operation for the new keyboard functionality added in the 2.8* release.  Just speculating based on other posts regarding this subject. You shouldn't need to rollback as long as everything is working. Hopefully Line6 will get the naming convention and description of the driver sorted out for the next upgrade.

Btw, this is why if you have installed or are intending to install HX Edit 2.81 you should just check all the boxes. Ignore the driver names/descriptions and install 'em anyway.

Hi, i use a Helix LT and made the 2.81.1 Update.

First everything was fine but soon Problems started. In my case i could not change the behaviour of my footswitches anymore, they  stuck in 8 snapshot mode.

As someone mentioned i tried to do the update again, but the problem remained.

The solution was simple, i just made a Global Reset and now everything is working fine.

• Upvote 2

Helix v2.81 not changing tuning of all JTV string tunings when changed via Snapshots.

Helix

Firmware: v2.81
Global Settings: Default to Helix v2.81
Bug: Some String Tunings do nto change when String Tunings are designated to change for different Snapshots.

(Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

1. Preset input set to Multi 
  2. Snapshot 1 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  3. String 6 Tuning Preset: [0 (E)]
  4. String 5 Tuning Preset [0 (A)]
  5. String 4 Tuning Preset [0 (D)]
  6. String 3 Tuning Preset [0 (G)]
  7. String 2 Tuning Preset [0 (B)]
  8. String 1 Tuning Preset [0 (E)]
  9. Snapshot 2 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  10. String 6 Tuning Preset: [-1 (E)]
  11. String 5 Tuning Preset [-1 (A)]
  12. String 4 Tuning Preset [-1 (D)]
  13. String 3 Tuning Preset [-1 (G)]
  14. String 2 Tuning Preset [-1 (B)]
  15. String 1 Tuning Preset [-1 (E)]
  16. Snapshot 3 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  17. String 6 Tuning Preset: [+3 (E)]
  18. String 5 Tuning Preset [+3 (A)]
  19. String 4 Tuning Preset [+3 (D)]
  20. String 3 Tuning Preset [+3 (G)]
  21. String 2 Tuning Preset [+3 (B)]
  22. String 1 Tuning Preset [+3 (E)]
  23. Change from Snapshot 1 to 2 and 3 Does not consistently change all of the String Tunings to the tunings designated in each Snapshot with a Variax JTV-69.

1 hour ago, bbehrens said:

Helix v2.81 not changing tuning of all JTV string tunings when changed via Snapshots.

Helix

Firmware: v2.81
Global Settings: Default to Helix v2.81
Bug: Some String Tunings do nto change when String Tunings are designated to change for different Snapshots.

(Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

1. Preset input set to Multi 
  2. Snapshot 1 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  3. String 6 Tuning Preset: [0 (E)]
  4. String 5 Tuning Preset [0 (A)]
  5. String 4 Tuning Preset [0 (D)]
  6. String 3 Tuning Preset [0 (G)]
  7. String 2 Tuning Preset [0 (B)]
  8. String 1 Tuning Preset [0 (E)]
  9. Snapshot 2 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  10. String 6 Tuning Preset: [-1 (E)]
  11. String 5 Tuning Preset [-1 (A)]
  12. String 4 Tuning Preset [-1 (D)]
  13. String 3 Tuning Preset [-1 (G)]
  14. String 2 Tuning Preset [-1 (B)]
  15. String 1 Tuning Preset [-1 (E)]
  16. Snapshot 3 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to
  17. String 6 Tuning Preset: [+3 (E)]
  18. String 5 Tuning Preset [+3 (A)]
  19. String 4 Tuning Preset [+3 (D)]
  20. String 3 Tuning Preset [+3 (G)]
  21. String 2 Tuning Preset [+3 (B)]
  22. String 1 Tuning Preset [+3 (E)]
  23. Change from Snapshot 1 to 2 and 3 Does not consistently change all of the String Tunings to the tunings designated in each Snapshot with a Variax JTV-69.

One thing I’d say is there’s no reason to assign the Variax Tunings parameter itself to the snapshot controller - just set it to Custom for the entire preset and assign the individual string tunings to the snapshot controller.

9 hours ago, bbehrens said:

Step by step description of how to reproduce bug)

1.  Preset input set to Multi 
  2. Snapshot 1 Variax settings Tuning (Preset) set to snapshots [Custom] and Strings 1-6 set to...

Hi,

Just a thought and I’m not in the studio for a while, so I can’t check if this happens with my own JTV59. 

I would be curious to know if this issue occurs when the input is set to Variax rather than Multi?

52 minutes ago, Pat6969 said:

I updated HX Stomp and lost all the preset names. Tried the update again but still no names on any stock presets. All slots just say "New Preset". All the blocks are loaded, just missing the names.

Hi,

Sounds like a glitch!

Try doing a reset on your hardware to see if it blows the bugs out.

Also, ensure that your version of HXEdit is the same as your Stomp Box Firmware.

HX Stomp

Button Combination

Description

All 3 Footswitches

Clears all presets/IRs

FS1+2

Resets presets and IRs

FS 2+3

Factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Hope this helps/makes sense

53 minutes ago, Pat6969 said:

I updated HX Stomp and lost all the preset names. Tried the update again but still no names on any stock presets. All slots just say "New Preset". All the blocks are loaded, just missing the names.

Did you create a backup before updating?

Just do a reset and restore from backup.

5 hours ago, phil_m said:

Did you create a backup before updating?

Just do a reset and restore from backup.

I didn't do a backup, I didn't have any new presets that I made so I didn't think I needed to. I assumed that doing a backup was to save all the customization a person did. My bad!! I'll try what datacommando suggested.

50 minutes ago, Pat6969 said:

I didn't do a backup, I didn't have any new presets that I made so I didn't think I needed to. I assumed that doing a backup was to save all the customization a person did.

Hi,

You’re correct. A backup is only really necessary to protect your own custom patches. If you simply try a restart of your HX while holding down FS 2&3, that could do the trick. Bear in mind what I said previously about making sure that the firmware in your hardware is the same number as your HX Edit.

Hope this is some help.

14 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

You’re correct. A backup is only really necessary to protect your own custom patches. If you simply try a restart of your HX while holding down FS 2&3, that could do the trick. Bear in mind what I said previously about making sure that the firmware in your hardware is the same number as your HX Edit.

Hope this is some help.

That worked! Thanks for the help.

• Thanks 1

Here is another problem. Whyle im switching my snapshots, there is no changing in lights and display information. BUT! Sound is changing as it should change on current snapshot. Also when im changing block settings nothing going on on display and the same, sound is changing. Did global reset, preset rebuild, update from backup. Nothing helps. One more thing i noticed, if i select snapshot then press HOME information on the screen will change for current snapshot. AND if i change all effects from blocks to different LED will work properly and LCD too. Looks like there is some coflict between blocks\effects

now its getting worse, i cannot see what parameters im editing

Here how it looks like

Snapshot glitch

https://imgur.com/gallery/Essizzv

Effect settings glitch

https://imgur.com/gallery/kL9fqeB

Edited by xinkiex

I’m having the same issues with a HX Stomp as “Xinkiex” above.

When I change snapshots, the sound changes as it should, but the screen doesn’t show the change. When I edit a parameter in a block, the sound changes, but again, the screen doesn’t show the change.

If I press the home button after making a change, then the screen does show the change when I go back to the block’s settings.

I’m on firmware 2.81 and it’s a brand new unit which I updated to 2.81 before I started using it.

44 minutes ago, colin6 said:

I’m having the same issues with a HX Stomp as “Xinkiex” above.

When I change snapshots, the sound changes as it should, but the screen doesn’t show the change. When I edit a parameter in a block, the sound changes, but again, the screen doesn’t show the change.

If I press the home button after making a change, then the screen does show the change when I go back to the block’s settings.

I’m on firmware 2.81 and it’s a brand new unit which I updated to 2.81 before I started using it.

If it's brand new, and you haven't saved any presets, just do a factory reset. Hold down FS2 & FS3 while powering up, and that will reset everything.

I'm having a stomp mode problem. When in stomp mode and I turn off or on a box and the "assign footswitch to selected block" option pops up and I have to cancel it out. but it will pop up ever few seconds for 3 or 4 times before it quits. I'm not long pressing it with my finger or anything. I hit a switch with my foot, the pedal turns off or on fine, but that msg pops up and continues to pop up over and over till its done. this started after 2.80, i have updated to 2.81 and it still happens. I've searched and have not found anyone else with this problem, yet. Any suggestions?

Helix Floor:

I recommend to do a factory reset after updating to 2.81 in any case!!

a month after the update I realized this: switching back from Snapshots to Manual Mode with the Cancel button does not work anymore!

Made a global reset(of course with a backup) - works fine again now!

did not make the reset after the update... which was a big mistake!!

Helix floor 2.81, sound transmitted via 1/4 inch out.

I experience volume loss at random intervals (total silence, or a low weak sound like turning down the volume on the guitar). To "fix" the problem i just turn the patch-knob, and the sound comes back. It can happen in any patch, with or without compressor, volume block or whatever. It happens more often when the Helix is connected to a computer it seems, but that might just be a coincidence. Never had any problems before (almost two years), and the bug appeared immediately after the 2.81 update (that I installed as instructed). I've done all the "normal" actions to fix it: Cable check, factory reset, re-install etc.

Have anyone else had this problem with the Helix?

On 10/3/2018 at 10:21 AM, flop54 said:

Thank you for your answer but i try many things (hit once twice thrice and i have programmed a midi file with the tap tempo on each downbeat) nothing works. Anyway i think that you have the same problem with a tap tempo use.

I think that the Helix is a very good unit. He must be able to control the start of the lfo.

like i write before this is for me the reason of this trouble :

I'd like to reset the LFO of the sweep echo, but hitting the tap button doesn't work. 

4 hours ago, p8guitar said:

I'd like to reset the LFO of the sweep echo, but hitting the tap button doesn't work. 

I can confirm that LFO reset no longer works on 2.81.0, Helix Floor. I use CC64 sent from Reaper rather than using the physical TAP switch.

Hi,

since 2017 I am using the Helix floor to switch the presets on my Mesa triaxis via midi. The helix is connected via 4cm-method for effects usage. Since the update to 2.8.0 (and still in 2.8.1) I have noticed, that midi-cc is not sent to the triaxis. I have to unplug the midi-cable, plug it into midi in(!), unplug and plug agin in to midi-out (all on helix) to get it working again. This is every time nessecary after connecting the helix to the triaxis. In the past it worked flawlessly.

Cheers, Marc

Thas to do with the Don't Force option the Heelix has for the Variax models. The Helix itself DOES NOT have a Don't Force option BUT the HX Edit program DOES!! When I select the Don't Force option in HX Edit, the Helix unit stays on the last selection before the Don't Force option. That would be Custom 1-5.

When I select the Don't Force option in HX Edit it does work but the Helix just indicates the last model I used. So for now the option is there but only in HX edit and there is no way that I can see to tell if it is in the Don't Force option from the Helix. I see no way to select this option from the Helix itself.

This isn't really a bug but it does bug me. I wish the Don't Force option would be at the end and not at the beginning for the Variax Volume and Tone knobs. The way it is now I have to turn my Volume/Tone knob option in the Helix all the way down to get to the Don't Force option which means, for example, when I select it for the Volume knob, the Variax is turned all the way down and I have to move my Volume knob to get it back up again. One thing for sure is, the one place I've NEVER wanted the Volume or Tone knobs to be when I select Don't Force is all the way down. A very small thing, easily worked around but it does bug me a bit. Heading to Ideascale with this.

Here

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Variax-Volume-Tone-knob-Don-t-Force-options/963408-23508?submitted=1

Dammit!!!!! Also 2.81 issues!!!

- The often mentionned Vintage delay "ghost" issue

- Once my global parameters were reset to defaults when starting up at a gig.

Due this unreliability I put the helix aside awaiting the new fixed update (hope that comes soon, since this is unusable now and a uppercut for the helix unit that probably scares away customers).

Rewinding to lower firmwares is not an option since i programmed new killer sounds using the Fullerton amp etc... plus i presume an update can't stay out very long now due the impact of these bugs.

I seem to be having an issue with the Simple Delay time. The first echo seems to be coming much earlier than the tapped tempo.

This issue just appeared Saturday night, after a few weeks of running 2.81. Rebooting didn't seem to help -- once a new time is tapped in, the issue starts again.

Version 2.81 on regular Helix

Using full Stomp Box for the unit. Has worked good since day one -> since updating to 2.81 -> Stomp Box mode will occasionally switch to Patch/Stomp box mode. I change the patch and sometimes it switches back to Stomp Box mode sometimes not. Rebooting seems to help. It occurs mostly right after I have hooked the Helix up to the computer (Window 10 machine with the latest HX Edit). Is this a known issue?

On 8/24/2019 at 10:11 PM, sebastianbrenner said:

Hi, i use a Helix LT and made the 2.81.1 Update.

First everything was fine but soon Problems started. In my case i could not change the behaviour of my footswitches anymore, they  stuck in 8 snapshot mode.

As someone mentioned i tried to do the update again, but the problem remained.

The solution was simple, i just made a Global Reset and now everything is working fine.

This happened to my helix floor as well. Global settings would not change modes. Had to factory reset, downgrade to the old firmware, factory reset (again), upgrade to 2.81 and so far so good. I am hoping this cured it or Line 6 has a fix coming very soon. I need this to work!

I had similar issues with blocks not appearing and still being heard.  They would be invisible on the Helix floor screen.  After using a pc with HX Edit, the blocks were in fact still there.  I downgraded this mess back to 2.71 as I need a system that is more reliable.  I hope Line 6 figures their stuff out sooner than later.  This uniform code multi-platform mission is a disaster so far.