Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

no, i send patch changes and cc messages from helix, i was able to filter out the patch changes on channel 16 using my program, but this should work as advertised.

also, snapshots in 2.8.2 are buggy as hell with my variax 500, not recalling or displaying or both the different variax guitar models.

27 minutes ago, pinetrax said:

no, i use usb to send patch changes from helix, as well as continuios controllers, i was able to filter the patch changes Variax sends out in my program, but this still needs to work as advertised.

Well, it was advertised, kind of. There was a note in the release notes for the 2.21 firmware when they added the Workbench HD support.

- If a Variax guitar is connected to Helix, MIDI channel 16 should never be used, as channel 16 is how Variax Workbench communicates with the guitar. This is by design. On a related note, Variax Workbench should never be used while MIDI tracks are armed or playing back in your DAW

• 3 weeks later...

So I came across a different bug today. I changed patches (stomp box mode) and all the names of the bottom stomps were gone. I wasn't able to change patches or anything after this. I had to power down the unit and restart it. This would be terrible if it happened on stage. Any suggestions? I just did a full factory reset a few weeks ago. How do I get a response from Line 6? 

I encountered a possible bug during programming snapshots with different imput impendance.

1)I set snapshot 1 with 10K impendance on input block, going into fuzzface.

2)I set snapshot 2 with 1mil impendance, fuzz is bypassed.

3)When I switch between the two snapshots, everything is ok.

4)Save whole preset while snapshot two is engeaged.

5)Test it again, switching between two snapshots is fine.

6)Switch into different preset and then back to this one.

7)Test it again and here it is - when you load the preset at first you arrive on snapshot 2 with 1mil impendance - as it should be. But..

8)When you switch to snapshot 1 and back to snapshot 2, snapshot 2 is now set to (default) "auto impendance", not 1mil. Going back and forth, snapshot 1 stays saved at 10K as it should, but the one you first arrive at when you load the preset resets to "auto".

Helix LT at 2.82.

46 minutes ago, Racknee said:

8)When you switch to snapshot 1 and back to snapshot 2, snapshot 2 is now set to (default) "auto impendance", not 1mil. Going back and forth, snapshot 1 stays saved at 10K as it should, but the one you first arrive at when you load the preset resets to "auto".

Helix LT at 2.82.

I don't have my Helix in front of me to know for sure, but I've encountered a similar bug with delays, reverbs, and amp settings:  pretty much anything that I set to utilize snapshot parameters.  I don't have a solution to my problem, nor yours, but I have dug and seemed to see what may be one of the issues.  The .hlx file that presets are saved as are nothing more than text files using JSON formatting, which just means you can open the .hlx file in a simple text editor to view preset information on your computer if you've used HX Edit to save it from your Helix to your computer.  When you look at the file there's quite a bit of information, that can be broken down as follows (picture a tree that branches off into more detailed branches):  a data field which leads to a tone field which has several different fields under it:  dsp0, dsp1, snapshot 0, snapshot1, snapshot 2 (thru snapshot7, which would be your 8th snapshot), global, and controller.  Basically, the information is stored to tell your Helix what the preset should load when you switch to it on the hardware, and there is separate information stored for each snapshot that you have saved in the preset.  

Let's for the sake of argument say that the preset is saved so that when we switch to it, it loads on snapshot 8.  When it loads the preset (and subsequently snapshot 8), it loads everything correctly because the default information for the preset stored under dsp0, dsp1, global, and controller are correct (it stores the information in these fields based on what blocks were on/off, where parameters were, etc. when you hit save), however, even if I change to no other snapshot, but merely hit to go back to snapshot 8, I might find that instead of the channel volume on my amp block being set to a hypothetical [5.0], I might find that it jumps to [0.0] or [10.0].

When I peeked into some of the preset files that were giving me errors I found that the default figures were correct (as mentioned above), but when I go to the dropdown for snapshot7 (snapshot 8 on the hardware), and cruise down to the block info for my amp (in my case, block6) and look at the ChVol parameter, I see be saved as either 0, or some number greater than 1.  Here's why this last part is important, the .hlx file saves values as very long decimals, so my default preset value for amp channel volume (and also preset7) should be 0.5 to give me the volume of [5.0] I'd expect to see, but it may be something like 0.49999998275 or 0.50000001023 to still yield the same result of the channel volume being at [5.0].  I have found that when I experience errors with snapshot values (for instance, channel volume drops to [0.0] or [10.0] when I switch to the snapshot), the saved value in the .hlx file may be 0.0 (resulting in [0.0] when selecting the snapshot) or something strange like 45 (resulting in [10.0] when selecting the snapshot--remember that to get this value the saved value would only need to be 1.0 or even 0.9999 or something similar).

That is A LOT to say this:  I bet if you open your .hlx file, or share it with me so I can check it out, if "auto" is the minimum or maximum setting you can have for your snapshot value, then you may be experiencing a similar bug.  I have reached out to Line6 about this before and I guess because it didn't happen to them when building presets (even though they could open my preset, either on an actual Helix unit, or by observing the .hlx file internally), they kind of just brushed it off as a corrupt preset, which may be all that it is.  So I have rebuilt presets before when dealing with this issue, but it also makes me VERY leery of using snapshots at times.  You may need to rebuild your preset, or you can manually adjust the level in the .hlx file, save it, and reload it into your Helix (the latter idea makes some people nervous thinking that it might brick their unit, but anyone with any IT background I know say that this is highly unlikely if at all, so if that makes you nervous, just rebuild the preset from a New Preset and save over your trouble preset).  Hope this helps, sorry for the book I gave you to read lol.

If you'd rather see me coming to these conclusions in real time, here's a video:

Hi, i had a strange time with my Helix floor last night at band practice, I tried to select a preset i have not used for a good while and my Helix freaked out, it fail to show the scribble strips and then the screen went black like it had switched off, it came back on then blank screened again. so I switched the Helix off and on and it was ok after that. I have noticed in the past that sometimes when i select a preset the scribble strips are totally wrong like from another preset or they are just blank, i have to re select that preset again to fix the issue. I gig with my Helix most weekends, i can deal with just re selecting a preset, but blank screen and shut downs will be a problem, anyone else having these issues.

Cheers Roy

On 1/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, TV-OD said:

Hi, i had a strange time with my Helix floor last night at band practice, I tried to select a preset i have not used for a good while and my Helix freaked out, it fail to show the scribble strips and then the screen went black like it had switched off, it came back on then blank screened again. so I switched the Helix off and on and it was ok after that. I have noticed in the past that sometimes when i select a preset the scribble strips are totally wrong like from another preset or they are just blank, i have to re select that preset again to fix the issue. I gig with my Helix most weekends, i can deal with just re selecting a preset, but blank screen and shut downs will be a problem, anyone else having these issues.

Cheers Roy

This has happened to me as well for months now. They just tell you to do a global reset but that still doesn’t solve the problem. Mine completely locked up the other day. I had to do a power cycle. I’m on the newest firmware and did a complete reset a few weeks ago. 

11 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

Latest firmware? I haven't seen this. Which models may I ask?

I just updated to 2.82 it seems to be elephant man for sure, its 1/8 note for 1/1 1/2/ 1/4 1/8 and then it starts working correctly as you get smaller.  Then you hit the dot/trip in between its the same one for each until you  pass the 1/8th setting as well.. very weird.

i'll make a video of it today when i get a chance.

11 minutes ago, otnooishphoo said:

I just updated to 2.82 it seems to be elephant man for sure, its 1/8 note for 1/1 1/2/ 1/4 1/8 and then it starts working correctly as you get smaller.  Then you hit the dot/trip in between its the same one for each until you  pass the 1/8th setting as well.. very weird.

i'll make a video of it today when i get a chance.

Not a bug. a feature... I'll explain.

The elephant man delay won't do longer delays,  just like the original. So when you try and tap a longer delay, it goes to some fraction (1/2 or 1/4 depending) of the note value that it can handle.

If you want the elephant man delay sound, but with longer delay times, you can do what I do, which is use the Adriatic delay.

Hmm, that weird i seem to remember it working before...

there are a couple other that did the same thing, i suppose thats just a feature too?

ohwell.

time for a timeline I guess.

why can it do the slower dot/trip ones in between? its 1/8 is the limit?

just curious..

also wish the delays all had a way to force into repeat, like a strymon where you can hold the bypass down and it will go forever.

9 minutes ago, otnooishphoo said:

Hmm, that weird i seem to remember it working before...

there are a couple other that did the same thing, i suppose thats just a feature too?

ohwell.

time for a timeline I guess.

why can it do the slower dot/trip ones in between? its 1/8 is the limit?

just curious..

also wish the delays all had a way to force into repeat, like a strymon where you can hold the bypass down and it will go forever.

Well, in the case of elephant man, I think the Adriatic can be set to nail it, so it doesn't matter. I use Adriatic.

They made the models behave exactly like the original pedals, limitations and all. That's why it can't do the slower delays.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, MatthewMcGhee said:

This has happened to me as well for months now. They just tell you to do a global reset but that still doesn’t solve the problem. Mine completely locked up the other day. I had to do a power cycle. I’m on the newest firmware and did a complete reset a few weeks ago. 

It's possible you have one or more corrupted presets. I would take note of which preset(s) are involved when this happens to see if that is the issue although it could be something else.

Anyone at all has a stable, bugfree experience of 2.82 ?

Numerous issues has been «reported» here since august-september last year, but all I see from Line 6 is «Do a clean install» or «You must have bugs in your presets».
I've tried the «clean install» option about 8 times now - and it still has issues - even with only factory presets. … And yes, I followed the instructions, point-by-point, every time!
About my own presets ... they all work fine in 2.71 without issues at all, so why do they crash under 2.82 ??

Just wondering why Line6 take so long adressing these issues.

3 hours ago, michalaase said:

Numerous issues has been «reported» here since august-september last year, but all I see from Line 6 is «Do a clean install» or «You must have bugs in your presets».
I've tried the «clean install» option about 8 times now - and it still has issues - even with only factory presets. … And yes, I followed the instructions, point-by-point, every time!
About my own presets ... they all work fine in 2.71 without issues at all, so why do they crash under 2.82 ??

My experience actually has been bug free (except beta builds of course). And that's a surprise because my presets are pretty intense and complicated.

9 hours ago, michalaase said:

I can't say it's been completely bug free as I still encounter the occasional bug now and then. All of those have been really minor, though. I've been using 2.82 since whenever it first was released, and I've not had any real issues. I have presets that I've used going back to the very earliest firmware versions. I really couldn't say why you're having issues with your presets.

12 hours ago, michalaase said:

My experience with 2.82 has been relatively bug-free(although I would be shocked if there weren't a few in there, outside of those already listed by Line6) but depending on your usage, and the presets you have retained through your various upgrades, your experience may be different.

Regarding your problems with the factory presets, have you upgraded to the latest factory presets?  As you are probably aware this requires the extra step of doing a global reset as detailed in the firmware upgrade notes.

The enormous number of parameters, different blocks, routing, loops, IRs, MIDI, CV control, etc make the possible permutations for presets and snapshots very extensive. Whenever a product like this goes through firmware upgrades there is always the possibility that certain combinations possible in a preset have not been accounted for properly in the upgrade process. If this were the case and I am not saying it is, this is strictly guesswork, it is possible that you may have some presets, or even a subset of presets if you were creating them from a template, that don't play well with the new firmware. There is also as always with a computer the possibility that some presets or even an entire setlist got corrupted. 

I would also say that until we stop seeing presets rebuilt upon the next restart after they are imported or even just copied from another location it is probably a best practice to restart your device and let them rebuild before editing them. Very inconvenient! This could just be a clerical problem with the firmware not setting a flag properly when a preset is copied/imported or it could be that the preset actually needs to be rebuilt with a device restart before editing. I have yet to see Line6 provide any guidance on this although it has been occurring for years now.

Finally there is the possibility that you have some other firmware, hardware, or even stable power issue on your particular device causing lockups.

Snapshots Changing Value In HX Edit. Helix LT 2.82...  Over the last couple of firmware revisions I have experienced mainly amp block snapshot values changing, not during performance but during creation in HX Edit. I could never find a cause and I hit save after nearly every parameter change during creation, did not seem to help. But in 2.82 it seems worse. Today I copied a Gray Flanger block from another preset that already contained snapshots attached to 3 of the parameters and pasted it into another preset I was creating. It seems it corrupted every block in the recipient preset that already contained snapshot controlled parameter. I sometimes use several snapshots per block so it was a mess and a lot of work to be redone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a frustrating issue with the helix command center sending program changes to my Voicelive. For each patch on the helix I have a different preset loaded on the VoiceLive. I don't want this to change between snapshots. The duplicate PC send is OFF. However, when I switch between snapshot 1 and any other snapshot (not between the others - eg. snapshot 2 to 3 doesn't do this) it still resends the program change telling the voicelive which preset to be on. I wouldn't mind this normally however the voicelive cuts the guitar for a split second while itresets the preset. Not something I want in a live setting as I switch snapshots frequently during songs. If anyone has had this happen I'd like to know if there's a solution. I had this issue on 2.8 and its still present in 2.82. Would rather not downgrade further and lose the Revv amp which I use a lot. Thanks!

I got a HX Stomp from Amazon, and it works sometimes, then it stops. Not the Stomp, itself (everything seems to work, it don't freezes or shuts down), but the signal stops. Its dead quiet. It even the Tuner don't detect anything. Everything is plugged right, and everything is updated.

It's a brand new unit (as far as I know), that I got from Amazon... but I'm from Brazil! I asked my mother in law to bring it to me from the US, in a little vacation she had over there. And now I'm really frustrated, because I could create a preset (and it made my acoustic guitar sounds like heaven), then it stopped. It's intermittent. Sometimes it's ok, then it don't. Hahahahha.

I have already used that stuff of turn it on holding the buttons 2 and 3, the 1, 2 and 3... everything that I see online.

Other thing that I noticed is that the Stomp, when it stops working, makes even the videos I'm watching in youtube freezes! That's crazy! But it only happens when it is plugged in the USB por of my macbook air. The problem happens with or without the USB connection.

Do you guys know what could it be? I've created a ticket, and I'm waiting to the Line 6 folks to answer me. I'm scared of the unit be damaged, in someway, and I have to send it to the USA to have a new one... this process would take me about 3 months (1 to go, and 2 to come a new one, if I'm lucky).

And sorry if this is not the right place to talk about this. I'm new in the forum, and I'm kind of lost. Sorry for my bad english, too! 

26 minutes ago, PANDAPANDELO said:

I got a HX Stomp from Amazon, and it works sometimes, then it stops. Not the Stomp, itself (everything seems to work, it don't freezes or shuts down), but the signal stops. Its dead quiet. It even the Tuner don't detect anything. Everything is plugged right, and everything is updated.

It's a brand new unit (as far as I know), that I got from Amazon... but I'm from Brazil! I asked my mother in law to bring it to me from the US, in a little vacation she had over there. And now I'm really frustrated, because I could create a preset (and it made my acoustic guitar sounds like heaven), then it stopped. It's intermittent. Sometimes it's ok, then it don't. Hahahahha.

I have already used that stuff of turn it on holding the buttons 2 and 3, the 1, 2 and 3... everything that I see online.

Other thing that I noticed is that the Stomp, when it stops working, makes even the videos I'm watching in youtube freezes! That's crazy! But it only happens when it is plugged in the USB por of my macbook air. The problem happens with or without the USB connection.

Do you guys know what could it be? I've created a ticket, and I'm waiting to the Line 6 folks to answer me. I'm scared of the unit be damaged, in someway, and I have to send it to the USA to have a new one... this process would take me about 3 months (1 to go, and 2 to come a new one, if I'm lucky).

And sorry if this is not the right place to talk about this. I'm new in the forum, and I'm kind of lost. Sorry for my bad english, too! 

Is it running the latest firmware? Even it is, I would try re-installing it if you haven't.

hello,

Despite the 2.82 firmware, i continue to have the same bug.

Sometimes the helix don't send midi clock. I have to return to the global parameters and change the parameter (because it is set correctly) and set with the good parameter again and it works again.

Hey guys, just found out about this thread. Sorry if these are repeats, but I ran into these bugs after updating from 2.71 to 2.82:

1) In synth blocks, my attack and decay settings were lost and defaulted to longer than I originally programmed them.

2) In synth blocks, footswitches that I programmed to be momentary became latching.

3) In synth blocks, after I correct the footswitch assignments back to momentary, sometimes when I press one programmed to momentarily turn synth blocks on, the bypass states of the blocks invert, so instead of normally off they become normally on.

4) The update erased my Variax settings.

5) When I try to enter a stomp assignment to toggle between 2 different Variax models, on the Helix screen the little parameter indicator bars move as expected as I turn the knobs, but the model names listed above those bars aren't correct and the two names often appear stuck on the same model name even though the indicator bars show that two different models are selected. I have the Helix connected to my Macbook running both HX Edit and Workbench HD. Everything is updated to the latest version.

Yes, i had the same problem with the variax models not displaying correctly, on top of that, i want the 2 different guitars to have different settings for the tone knob, i set it to force the tone knob to different positions, but it doesn’t change the tone knob settings at all.

Floor model running 2.82 running 10 stomp mode. Foot switch 10 was assigned to change four different amp parameters. Foot switch 9 was blank. Used the capacitive touch on 9 and 10 simultaneously to switch positions. When I hit OK screen goes blank, screen backlight still on, unit is completely frozen but still outputting sound when I play. Had to cycle power to get back to where I was. Tried to swap 9 and 10 again, locked up. It was repeatable every time. 

I had to go in and manually set foot switch 9 on each of the 4 amp parameters to move them to FS9. 

Regarding the bug related to corrupted presets when importing them, I think I found something reproducible.

I exported 100+ presets from the Helix.  Then, I imported the same 100+ presets into a different set list on the Helix.  There were several presets that had corrupt preset names.

To reset the situation, I copied a bunch of 'New Preset' presets and pasted over all the 100+ presets I just imported.

Then, I imported about 20 presets at a time.  By reducing the number of presets during an import operation, I was able to import without any issues.

It appears the issue may be related to the number of presets being imported within a single operation.

I hope this is useful.

mike

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

I have this problem with my HX effects where the function that lets you look at all parameters to an effect all at once (done by touching the given effect button for 1 sec) keeps popping up. This is happening without me holdning my finger on it at all. It sucks, because when im just in stomp mode, where i can turn on my effects, it just keeps going to that one effect's parameters so that I can't turn on the other effects and I have to press mode to get back to them. This often happens continuously, where it just keeps popping up.  

Anyone got an solution to this problem?

Hi all,

I do not know if a HX Edit bug count as a "Helix Bug" but here it is; if your mouse primary button is set as right (for left handed like me) you can not interact with (drag) the block to create a parallel path. While I agree that this is a left handed first world problem, please fix it, is so annoying to be forced to change the mouse setting every single time.

Cheers,

Ulas

2 hours ago, piererequiem said:

Hallo guys

I have HELIX LT and I have updated Firmware from 2.2.1 to 2.8.2. 

Now I have problem,   all of my created sounds have after upgrade lower gain

Can you help me with this problem please?

Piere

Did you create a backup and restore from backup after doing the upgrade?

If you didn't the Global Settings will reset to their default settings, so it could be something related to that. There really shouldn't be any changes in the sound of anything when you update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, otnooishphoo said:

Tempo Sync Delays are broken on multiple delay models.  1/1 1/2 1/4  etc are ALL always 8th notes.

some delay models have a max delay time of around 350-400ms, no mater what tempo you tap. 

I can't get HX Edit 2.82 to open. When I run the program, it opens with what looks like a capture of my desktop with the menu bar at the top. If I try to select anything in the menu, it closes. I've updated everything, I have the latest drivers for my video card. I submitted a ticket to support, but they couldn't figure it out. This is really frustrating. 

Windows 10 64 Bit

8GB RAM

Intel i7

NVIDIA GTX 960

• Like 1

Tried searching for this but didn't find anything here...unless I'm searching incorrectly.

I just got my THIRD helix...used off of reverb. It's on 2.82. Being familiar with it, I started building my presets to use 4 cable method, as I had in the past too. However, the looper is not working correctly.

No matter where I place it in the chain, as soon as I hit record, I lose all volume from the snapshot I'm on. I can slightly hear sound when playing but it's VERY minimal. Playback is the same after recording. In order to get sound back, I have to go to a different snapshot and then back into the original snapshot and remove the looper. This does not seem to happen in presets where I would use a Helix amp and cab or IR (I use this as my direct or backup rig) but I mainly use 4CM for most applications.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried reinstalling 2.82 so far with no luck. This morning, I'm going to do a complete factory reset on everything (after backing up my work) and hope that will do the trick. I wanted to post this here in case others are having this issue. I did open a support ticket but I'm not expecting a response soon as I know the team is running on low capacity right now.

UPDATE: OK, this seems to be midi related. I'm using a Synergy Syn-2. I have the helix changing channels via midi. Whenever I engage the looper, it's sending a command to the Syn to change the channel to bypass. I'm still trying to figure out how to control that with the looper. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, richardantonelli said:

Tried searching for this but didn't find anything here...unless I'm searching incorrectly.

I just got my THIRD helix...used off of reverb. It's on 2.82. Being familiar with it, I started building my presets to use 4 cable method, as I had in the past too. However, the looper is not working correctly.

No matter where I place it in the chain, as soon as I hit record, I lose all volume from the snapshot I'm on. I can slightly hear sound when playing but it's VERY minimal. Playback is the same after recording. In order to get sound back, I have to go to a different snapshot and then back into the original snapshot and remove the looper. This does not seem to happen in presets where I would use a Helix amp and cab or IR (I use this as my direct or backup rig) but I mainly use 4CM for most applications.

Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried reinstalling 2.82 so far with no luck. This morning, I'm going to do a complete factory reset on everything (after backing up my work) and hope that will do the trick. I wanted to post this here in case others are having this issue. I did open a support ticket but I'm not expecting a response soon as I know the team is running on low capacity right now.

UPDATE: OK, this seems to be midi related. I'm using a Synergy Syn-2. I have the helix changing channels via midi. Whenever I engage the looper, it's sending a command to the Syn to change the channel to bypass. I'm still trying to figure out how to control that with the looper. Any ideas?

The looper controls send out the MIDI CCs associated with them when you use them. It sounds like the Synergy is responding to those CCs. Try going to Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo and setting the MIDI Base Channel parameter to a different channel. Assuming you're using Instant Commands and/or footswitches to change channels on the Synergy, that setting won't affect those, but it should make it so the looper commands are sent out on a different change than the Synergy is set to.