Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

My SPDIF output is completely silent after updating to 2.90 (Helix Floor)

Everything is connected the same way as before (when it worked with 2.82) and I've checked all the settings on the Helix.

The Helix output meter moves with my playing and I get sound from the analog outputs but my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st gen) doesn't appear to receive any signal.

I tried re-installing 2.90, but it didn't change anything.

I also tried different SPDIF sample rates both on the Helix and Scarlett, but they were all silent.

1 hour ago, Philipozz said:

My SPDIF output is completely silent after updating to 2.90 (Helix Floor)

Everything is connected the same way as before (when it worked with 2.82) and I've checked all the settings on the Helix.

The Helix output meter moves with my playing and I get sound from the analog outputs but my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st gen) doesn't appear to receive any signal.

I tried re-installing 2.90, but it didn't change anything.

I also tried different SPDIF sample rates both on the Helix and Scarlett, but they were all silent.

I solved it!

I "downdated" to 2.82 again, and the problem remained.

It turned out that the SPDIF volume was automatically set to be adjusted with the main volume knob on the Helix.

I programmed that knob to not control the SPDIF volume since I want it to be consistent at all time,

and the knob is always at zero since I only use the SPDIF when playing.

It was that simple! ^^

1 hour ago, Alex_Schcs said:

What procedure should i do? I tried reseting to factory with footswitches 7+8 but it still happens.

Oops, that sounds bad. You might want to send an email to customer support so they can help you better. Hope your unit didn't become faulty after the update, because it shouldn't happen in factory settings :(

So, could anyone record a video of tap tempo really working reliably? With the globals set to "transparent" and "per preset", it does work *somehow* but defenitely not as reliable as before. I'd also like to see how it works in "authentic" mode for others - over here, this is completely messed up.

with tap tempo, a few things.

Bare feet confuse the buttons (as do fingers pressing), because of the touch capacitance.
Some models don't have long enough delay times and automatically speed up.
I think TT works best when you are NOT connected to a computer as well.

6 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Bare feet confuse the buttons (as do fingers pressing), because of the touch capacitance.

I tried with shoes, the tap tempo switch isn't capacitive anyway, it always worked just fine when connected to a computer and all delays are affected, hence including those with sufficiently long delay times.

Edit: Was wrong, the tap tempo switch is capacitive (never noticed before). Yet, as I tried with shoes, it should be no issue.

14 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

definitly a bug, didnt have any problems with 2.82 

when tapping in edit(right top corner) it works but when you tap on helix you can see it go haywire.

7 minutes ago, 52dmk said:

Tap tempo is definitely not working correctly.

If I tap along to a 135bpm metronome the tapped bpm is around 160bpm.

If I set helix bpm manually, it's fine.

Igor just pointed out that this IS a known issue, they are working on it as we speak. I'd expect a pretty quick hot fix.

Well, step temple seems to be working for some of you and not for some of you, Maybe the problem is the combination of different amps and affects along with the delays you have, try a new preset with just the delays and see if they don't work

9 minutes ago, pinetrax said:

Well, step temple seems to be working for some of you and not for some of you, Maybe the problem is the combination of different amps and affects along with the delays you have, try a new preset with just the delays and see if they don't work

Tried with a blank preset, a single simple delay, problem is still there.

I don't think problem is with delays, as they work fine when manually set, or if you manually set the bpm.

The issue is with the tap tempo being significantly out in its calculated bpm.

1 hour ago, molul said:

Could you post a video of the problem? To me, it works exactly as in previous version, but I might be overlooking something. Seeing what's happening to the bugged unit might help.

Sure, heres is a link with some videos (they are too big to add with the coment)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Oul94Rjd1oyLJRgM4CPCLrJkJJtJSLY

Hi people!
So there's a bug with the tap tempo and delays in the 2.90 update. And probably a few others.

That's quite unfortunate of course but it's L6!

They are aware of it. They are fixing it as fast as they can and given the current conditions we are all in I think they deserve some appreciation on their hard work.
Yes in normal conditions it's that kind of bug that affects many users but I'm very happy they could release this update with very nice implementations and new effects and a new amp for me to play with in these difficult times.

I don't bother if this or other bug somehow slipped through the beta testing. My Helix didn't blow up so all is fine!
And by the way this update was one of the smoothest so far for me.
So thank you L6 and all the beta testers for your work and stay safe!
You deserve some love from all of us!!
And stay safe everybody. Go ahead and obsess with the new meters!
Cheers

I actually reported tap tempo issues during beta testing, but they were erratic, and for some reason in the most recent build seem to work fine here for me.

I have had issues with bare feet, and with tap tempo while connected to the computer, but in normal play, right now, seems to be working fine.

They are on it.

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, sure - but that's why you test carefully before release.

They might have tested it, and had no problems like other users (I mean, I think my tap tempo works as always, but I haven't seen a video showing the problem, so I might have the issue but I haven't noticed).

I just attempted to do the 2.9 firmware update.  I am doing the update through Mac Catalina.  I didn't see the note on updating through the Helix Editor software so I tried to update through the updater.  As the update was loading my computer went into sleep mode.  I received instructions to reboot my Helix and try to start the update again.  When I turn my Helix off then on again it got stuck on the boot screen below and I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the computer and Helix to communicate with each other again. Any suggestions? Because I am using a 2019 Macbook Air all I have is Thunderbolt 3 connections so I have to connect the Helix through a hub.  I have been able to connect the Helix with Helix Edit via the hub previously so this would not appear to be the issue.

20200422_085911.jpg

15 hours ago, Alex_Schcs said:

Hi guys, i have Helix LT, when i use an empty preset all works fine and smooth, but when i use an existing preset all works slowly and with a lot of retard using the tuner, the meters, traveling into the menus... I dont know if its a bug or something, but i dont know how to fix that because its so hard to work like that. Using the tuner is crazy, it needs like 2 or 3 seconds to show the note that you played (applicable to the meters too)

Tuner is broken. Ever since I updated I'm having the same crazy delay of note recognition on the tuner. What I've noticed is that if I leave the tuner open for 10-20 seconds it goes back to normal and is usable (thank god). Still very annoying though.

EDIT: Just confirmed my tap tempo is borked too. I'll tap it, it'll flash (too slow) for a couple seconds, then start flashing (too fast) from then onwards.

13 minutes ago, ashtonlouie said:

Tuner is broken. Ever since I updated I'm having the same crazy delay of note recognition on the tuner. What I've noticed is that if I leave the tuner open for 10-20 seconds it goes back to normal and is usable (thank god). Still very annoying though.

I never had issues with the tuner until now, but it looks like a problem with the implementation of the meters because both of the have the same issue, it takes like 3 secons to show the signal that the helix recives.

Here i uploaded some videos where you can see what happens: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Oul94Rjd1oyLJRgM4CPCLrJkJJtJSLY

36 minutes ago, Trl0126 said:

I just attempted to do the 2.9 firmware update.  I am doing the update through Mac Catalina.  I didn't see the note on updating through the Helix Editor software so I tried to update through the updater.  As the update was loading my computer went into sleep mode.  I received instructions to reboot my Helix and try to start the update again.  When I turn my Helix off then on again it got stuck on the boot screen below and I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the computer and Helix to communicate with each other again. Any suggestions? Because I am using a 2019 Macbook Air all I have is Thunderbolt 3 connections so I have to connect the Helix through a hub.  I have been able to connect the Helix with Helix Edit via the hub previously so this would not appear to be the issue.

20200422_085911.jpg

Does your Helix boot? Anyway, I'd try doing a factory reset and then try to connect again.

IR's Not Working......

I turned in a support ticket because I am not able to load any IR's. I have one IR (that appeared blank) in slot #1 (that I can NOT seem to clear), the rest will not work at all. If I grab 10 IR's and do an import, it will start loading them, fill in the names for each IR slot, then at the very end it flashes a message in HX edit and all of them return to the < EMPTY >. Very frustrating!

I reloaded 2.82, all import/export/copy/clear works fine with all IR slots when importing single or multiple IR's.

So, unfortunately I went back to 2.9 again, same issue. If I assign the empty IR to a block, I am unable to delete it without the error in the image below, but if I "Clear all Blocks", then "Undo", I am able to delete the IR block. Go figure.....

UPDATE. Turns out it was user error, as somehow I did not have HX Edit updated, and was still running 2.8. Once corrected the IR's upload worked fine.

As embarrassing as that is, I left it in case someone runs into a similar issue.

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, molul said:

They might have tested it, and had no problems like other users (I mean, I think my tap tempo works as always, but I haven't seen a video showing the problem, so I might have the issue but I haven't noticed).

Come on, it has already been kinda officially acknowledged, how are they doing that in case none of their testing units suffered from it?

5 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Come on, it has already been kinda officially acknowledged, how are they doing that in case none of their testing units suffered from it?

As a developer, it's easy to explain: they received bug reports, checked what settings the problematic units had, and found a testing case that reproduced the problem, that wasn't taken into consideration in their QA department so far. 

It happens more usually than you might think, and everywhere, especially in complex software with so many possible combinations of either modules or settings.

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS WITH THE TUNER!

What unit? What input are you using?

Reason I ask is that I have had NO problems with the tuner in any of the 2.9 betas (and of course not the final release either). 

Love to help if I can.

33 minutes ago, Ovationdave said:

I turned in a support ticket because I am not able to load any IR's. I have one IR (that appeared blank) in slot #1 (that I can NOT seem to clear), the rest will not work at all. If I grab 10 IR's and do an import, it will start loading them, fill in the names for each IR slot, then at the very end it flashes a message in HX edit and all of them return to the < EMPTY >. Very frustrating!

The update was fairly smooth, and I was glad to get some new stuff to play with during the lockdown (thanks for that L6), but I may have to go back to 2.8 if I can't get this working. :-(

Is your Helix AND your HX Edit at 2.90? That sounds like you are running an old Edit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PeterHamm said:

Is your Helix AND your HX Edit at 2.90? That sounds like you are running an old Edit.

I think your right. I thought it was updated but after checking it appears it was still @ 2.8. I hope it is something this simple. So I am updating again right now. I will let you know.

Thanks Peter!

Yep, that corrected it. I can't believe I missed that. Just and ID10T error. Thanks again. I will go delete my ticket!