Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

16 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

You may see my response as well - yes, it's sometimes glitchy, but still, I am always getting faster tempos with 2.9.

Again... KNOWN problem... hot fix is coming in days, not weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tenorkeith said:

Just updated to 2.9 and now my volume knob is not working. Is this being worked on? This is for the floorboard.

check globals.

Also, turn the unit off and back on again 2 or 3 times (let it fully boot up).

I've heard stuff like this happening only on the first few boots. Again... did not see this in my testing, sorry.

OK, so I've rebooted it about 10 times. Sometimes the volume knob doesn't work at all, and sometimes it lets me turn it one way or the other about a 1/4 turn before freezing. Once, it let me go up and down about four times before it quit working. So something's definitely wrong. Should I re-load the update or just go back to 2.8 until this gets fixed?

Just now, tenorkeith said:

OK, so I've rebooted it about 10 times. Sometimes the volume knob doesn't work at all, and sometimes it lets me turn it one way or the other about a 1/4 turn before freezing. Once, it let me go up and down about four times before it quit working. So something's definitely wrong. Should I re-load the update or just go back to 2.8 until this gets fixed?

I would definitely try re-loading first.

49 minutes ago, silverhead said:

EDIT: Actually it may be calculating the average of the three. My mistake. Further experimentation required. In any case, any problem will soon be fixed I expect.

See, this is why I said it was glitchy (in the other thread). I tried exactly what you've suggested and sometimes it really seemed like a proper average tap tempo calculation, sometimes it was way off. However, in general things were just working fine for me - just not with 2.9 anymore. So let's hope there's indeed a hotfix coming soon.

Dear all,

I am Japanese and so sorry my humble English.
I am facing the same (maybe) vol problem with 2.90.
Helix-Floor, tested Main Vol only (phone vol not been tested), Footswitch=Preset mode, 1/4 out, FRFR.

(1) Trial-01 (Helix floor is turned off)

Set Vol=0 (around 7 oclock), turn it on and boot, helix wake up at preset 10C (for e.g.)
but nothing can be heard, Level meter is working.
sometimes preset change does not even work, like hang-up. You cannot to anything.

(2) Trial-02 (Helix floor is turned off)

Set Vol=not zero e.g., 3 (around 10 oclock), turn it on and boot, you can hear the sound of helix preset 10C.
Tweaking vol, but it does not change, sound level you hear stays te same. Sometimes you cannot do preset change, tuner mode, etc.

(3) Trial-03 (Helix floor is turned off)

Set Vol=not zero e.g., 3 (around 10 oclock), turn it on and boot, you can hear the sound of helix preset 10C.
NEVER TOUCH VOL KNOB.
Preset change (e.g., 10C->10B->10D whatever), then into Stomp mode, turn on-off some of your effect chain,
then into tuner mode (tuner mode = sound-muted), then get out of tuner mode to come back to previous mode (Stomp or Preset).

Vol Ctrl is working :-) as normal (hopefully)

(4) Trial-04 (Helix floor is turned off)

NEVER TOUCH VOL KNOB.
Preset change (e.g., 10C->10B->10D whatever), then into Stomp mode, turn on-off some of your effect chain,
Skip tuner mode and tweak the vol. but it does not change, sound level you hear stays the same.

I have tried above 4 cases 5 times each and as for vol behavior, it was reproduced.
I hope my Trial-03 helps some of you for the time being.

• Like 1

Just to add to the Tap Tempo issue;

There's also an issue with the bpm display on tap button showing the correct bpm.

In the video below, i'm connected to a helix floor with usb and running HX edit.

I tap in the tempo in HX edit (which is registered correctly and changes the bpm for fx using bpm), however this is not displayed in the tap scribble bpm until i touch the footswitch (touch, not press).

Tap video

Not sure if it helps debugging at all, or if it's a separate issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mas719tcrp08ch4/20200423_185138.mp4?dl=0

here is a video of the tap tempo problem, as you can see i tap a +- 105/110 bpm on my mouse in edit.

but when i tap with either the tap tempo switch or my external tap switch it taps +- 50 to 80 bpm faster, its all over the place.

i did switch from transparent to authentic and vica versa in global settings.

(sorry for the bare feet) 

2 hours ago, tenorkeith said:

Just updated to 2.9 and now my volume knob is not working. Is this being worked on? This is for the floorboard.

I'm getting this as well.  

The volume knob is set to multi, but it's not controlling anything :(   *sad face...   

nothing usb, nothing guitar input related..nothin'   *very sad face  

On 4/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, willjrock said:

Old bug reappearing - Moving an IR block causes it to reset to #1

Are you editing on the device (also which model?) or the HX Edit?

I'm having a trouble where, double clicking on a preset I've made with one of my IRs won't open on the HX edit window, it still shows the chain of the last preset I had open (that didn't have an IR block).

I'm about to try editing from the unit itself to see if this resolves the issue. 

Edit: As a work around, going to the IR block, switching it to a Cab block (from one provided in the unit)allows me to open it using HX Edit. Then if I change it back to an IR it stops allowing me to access it again.

I've also wiped my impulses from the device and tried others. 

So until the issue (if regarded as an issue by others) means if I load my own impulse into a preset, I have to then edit that preset on the unit only.

Edited by garyasbridge
Update

After I updated to 2.9 on my HX Stomp I found a bug.

When I turn the unit on without a cable connected to an input, there will be no sound from my guitar after I plug a cable into the unit. I have to turn off the unit and power up again with a cable connected to an input. Then I have sound again. Anybody having similar problems?

2 hours ago, bontarou said:

Dear all,

I am Japanese and so sorry my humble English.
I am facing the same (maybe) vol problem with 2.90.
Helix-Floor, tested Main Vol only (phone vol not been tested), Footswitch=Preset mode, 1/4 out, FRFR.

(1) Trial-01 (Helix floor is turned off)

Set Vol=0 (around 7 oclock), turn it on and boot, helix wake up at preset 10C (for e.g.)
but nothing can be heard, Level meter is working.
sometimes preset change does not even work, like hang-up. You cannot to anything.

(2) Trial-02 (Helix floor is turned off)

Tweaking vol, but it does not change, sound level you hear stays te same. Sometimes you cannot do preset change, tuner mode, etc.

(3) Trial-03 (Helix floor is turned off)

NEVER TOUCH VOL KNOB.
then into tuner mode (tuner mode = sound-muted), then get out of tuner mode to come back to previous mode (Stomp or Preset).

Vol Ctrl is working :-) as normal (hopefully)

(4) Trial-04 (Helix floor is turned off)

NEVER TOUCH VOL KNOB.
Skip tuner mode and tweak the vol. but it does not change, sound level you hear stays the same.

I have tried above 4 cases 5 times each and as for vol behavior, it was reproduced.
I hope my Trial-03 helps some of you for the time being.

Same here:(  First issues I ever had updating the Helix.

4 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Here we go. You can see the differences of the tap results in the Helix display. The delays themselves react accordingly, so there's no need to play through them for this demonstration (if you wanted, I'd do that as well).

Fwiw, it's acting like that regardless of which global settings I chose.

Now that was useful, thanks. 

I did the same and I get 102-105 (previously, it sounded right but I didn't know where to look at the real bpm). Not that off but certainly not right. Ok, count me in! XD

4 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Ah, found it, see the post of Line6Nelson in this thread:

You may see my response as well - yes, it's sometimes glitchy, but still, I am always getting faster tempos with 2.9.

Is Line6Nelson a Line6 employee? There have been many previous posts on this subject for years now that stated that tap tempo was calculated on the Helix by only the last two taps. That has been the accepted if not preferred understanding of how tap tempo worked around here for a long time which is probably why Silverhead mentioned it. Would be a nice time for phil_m or someone else in the know to confirm the four tap thing if that is indeed the case.

22 minutes ago, the_bees_knees22 said:

I opened a ticket on the volume knob issue just in case.

From Digital Igloo:

Reboot again. Don't touch anything for 30 seconds. Should be fine. 2.91 hot fix coming very soon.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:18 PM, ociosu said:

LT gets frozen if I switch turner on shortly after it has finished boot.

Or

Tuner does not work, if switched on shortly after boot.

If I wait about 20 secs before turning on turner, then it seems there is no problem.

Same here.

Tuner doesn't work in my helix LT unless you wait more than 15 seconds after booting the unit. If you don't wait that time and try to turn the tuner on, sometimes the unit gets stuck, sometimes there's no sound, and tuner doesn't work anyway.

48 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Is Line6Nelson a Line6 employee?

Now that you're asking, I'm actually not sure anymore - but I seem to remember the name from somewhere. Also, why would some ordinary user jump in and claim such things?

Anyhow, doesn't really matter (I might do some investigation, though, just out of curiositiy) as with 2.9 it's absolutely predictable that the tempo is always higher than what I tap in.

29 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Now that you're asking, I'm actually not sure anymore - but I seem to remember the name from somewhere. Also, why would some ordinary user jump in and claim such things?

Anyhow, doesn't really matter (I might do some investigation, though, just out of curiositiy) as with 2.9 it's absolutely predictable that the tempo is always higher than what I tap in.

He might be an employee but it is not that uncommon for users on various boards to start their username with the company or product name although that is a convention that is least confusing when reserved for company employees. That or a special visual or text designation for an employee username. You do for example see the words "Line 6 Staff" below Digital_Igloo's username when he posts. Maybe someone here is familiar with "Line6Nelson" and can let us know. He has no official designation under his username.

Just pointing out that the huge preponderance of posts on the subject here claim it is a two tap average. If that is the case I hope a future update increases it to at least three or more. As has been pointed out there appears to be a hotfix coming for tap tempo so I am not denying it may have some issues right now. Ideally this would be tested with a calibrated piston hitting the tempo(not suggesting L6 has to do this). Humans don't have precise timing and even different tap switches can activate at slightly different depression points. Of course if it is off substantially and consistently even the human and hardware margin of error can become insignificant. Tapping tempo in is an approximate art, rarely precise although it should be close.

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

He might be an employee but it is not that uncommon for users on various boards to start their username with the company or product name although that is a convention that is least confusing when reserved for company employees. That or a special visual or text designation for an employee username. You do for example see the words "Line 6 Staff" below Digital_Igloo's username when he posts. Maybe someone here is familiar with "Line6Nelson" and can let us know. He has no official designation under his username.

Well, he's only made 4 posts on this forum, but all of them read as if he was on the Helix team. I guess if he was an imposter, they would be deleted.

Just pointing out that the huge preponderance of posts on the subject here claim it is a two tap average.

It'd be great if someone in the knows could shed some light on this.

I just made some experiments (using the mouse in HX Edit, as tapping on the unit is messed up...) and can't tell what's actually going on. For instance, I just tapped 3 taps at 90BPM and slowed down considerably with the fourth tap - and yet, the tempo stayed at 90BPM (well, kinda-ish, due to my tapping inaccuracy). My assumption would be, that, in case it's implemented really well, that my last tap was so much out of time that it slipped out of the "set grid" that was established by the first 3 taps. If it was implemented like that, this would help to avoid tempo havoc caused by any accidental taps.

Anyway, it's pretty hard (or even impossible) to tell what's going on, especially as I had the occasional glitch with 2.82 already as well.

Tapping tempo in is an approximate art, rarely precise although it should be close.

While this is true, apart from the mentioned odd glitch, I usually managed to get it right with 2.82 (well, "right enough" for live at least) but noticed it to be off in 2.9 instantly once the issue was brought up here, causing me to check. I noticed the resulting tempo to be consistently faster than my taps and all further tests have proven that.

40 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Suggestion: stop trying to figure out the tap tempo thing, guys. It's a known issue, and they are literally fixing it as I type this.

So we hear, great! Thanks for passing that on. Now the other question, how many taps does it use to average the tempo?  

• Like 1

New issues for me:

The volume knob glitch everyone has been posting about.

Glitch with IRs: On SOME presets the IR is "frozen" I'll try switching between different IRs, it will show the name of whatever IR, but can tell by sound the IR hasn't changed. Also will try bypassing it, the IR will stay on while the display shows it being off.  

I seem to be having an issue with 2.9 that I dont think I've seen anywhere else. Could be mistaken. Apologies if so. 

If I start the helix floor with a midi keyboard plugged in via the helix midi in port. It boots as normal the screen comes on then goes off completely and the helix freezes. Restart without midi cable plugged in and it worked fine. So I plugged the midi cable in whilst the unit was on and within 5 seconds or so. The helix screen went back off and the unit froze. Havnt plugged it back in since as doesnt appear to be working and seems to be an issue. Just reporting so someone st Line 6 might be aware of the issue which I've never had in any other previous versions. Thanks

33 minutes ago, geetarsparkie said:

I seem to be having an issue with 2.9 that I dont think I've seen anywhere else. Could be mistaken. Apologies if so. 

If I start the helix floor with a midi keyboard plugged in via the helix midi in port. It boots as normal the screen comes on then goes off completely and the helix freezes. Restart without midi cable plugged in and it worked fine. So I plugged the midi cable in whilst the unit was on and within 5 seconds or so. The helix screen went back off and the unit froze. Havnt plugged it back in since as doesnt appear to be working and seems to be an issue. Just reporting so someone st Line 6 might be aware of the issue which I've never had in any other previous versions. Thanks

Is your keyboard sending out MIDI clock or any other MIDI data constantly when powered on? Simply having something plugged in via MIDI din should not matter but I could see flooding the MIDI stream with clock and other things could theoretically cause an issue.

26 minutes ago, Melissiah said:

Possible bug:

Using Helix Floor in 10 stomp mode

If I assign snapshot (new feature) to one of the bank switch (aka #7 and...)

I need to double click to load the snapchat. On regular FS it's ok.

I have the same problem when trying to assign a snapshot to FS5 on an HX Effects. Also, assigning a custom color to the ring of a FS with a snapshot assigned to it doesn’t work.

57 minutes ago, adennis said:

I have the same problem when trying to assign a snapshot to FS5 on an HX Effects. Also, assigning a custom color to the ring of a FS with a snapshot assigned to it doesn’t work.

I confirm, I can't change the color too

Chiming in on this Tuner bug. Using Helix Floor, v2.90. Engaging the Tuner shortly after boot causes a variety of processor A crashes. Either the tuner simply does not work (mutes sound but does not display note); or after exiting tuner, all block on path A no longer work (but block on path B are OK); or total system freeze. Happens on all patches, empty or not. Happens reliably every time, as long as I engage tuner within about 20 seconds of boot. Otherwise, works fine!

54 minutes ago, aaronlyon said:

Chiming in on this Tuner bug. Using Helix Floor, v2.90. Engaging the Tuner shortly after boot causes a variety of processor A crashes. Either the tuner simply does not work (mutes sound but does not display note); or after exiting tuner, all block on path A no longer work (but block on path B are OK); or total system freeze. Happens on all patches, empty or not. Happens reliably every time, as long as I engage tuner within about 20 seconds of boot. Otherwise, works fine!

That's exactly what I have experienced with my new HX Stomp that I got last Thursday after upgrading to 2.9. I boot it and let it sit for a few minutes and it's all good. I did experience the volume freezing once as well. But It hasn't done it at all now. I just let it boot and wait a few minutes before editing or what not and all seems to work that way. PS, love the Revv Purple.

IMG_20200423_144344_152.jpg

I am getting total freeze/lockup anywhere from a few minutes into use to maybe a half hour or so of use, not sure what's triggering it. I'll still get sound, but everything is locked up and unresponsive, footswitches, joystick, display etc... Basically requires a shutdown and reboot to act normal for a while, and since I use it with a DAW as the interface all that needs to be shutdown and restarted as well, it's a giant pain to interrupt everything like that. Kudos to Line 6 for giving us an update during a crisis, as long as this gets hotfixed quickly I won't be upset, none of us have gigs now anyway...

On the plus side they fixed some issues I had with momentary midi footswitches sticking in 2.82, but this lock up bug makes it almost unusable in 2.90, anyone have any idea how long until they issue a hotfix? I am seeing people guessing a few days/weeks, anyone have anything more solid? I'm new to the Helix as of 2.82, so I don't know how long until this gets addressed, maybe I should do a support ticket if the hotfix doesn't get it? 

This is for the Helix Floor

1 hour ago, AlaZen said:

That's exactly what I have experienced with my new HX Stomp that I got last Thursday after upgrading to 2.9. I boot it and let it sit for a few minutes and it's all good. I did experience the volume freezing once as well. But It hasn't done it at all now. I just let it boot and wait a few minutes before editing or what not and all seems to work that way. PS, love the Revv Purple.

IMG_20200423_144344_152.jpg

I think you need to wait about 15 seconds after booting the unit. Then you can launch the tuner and it works. It seems like they only have to me make the boot a little is longer... Hehehe

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, vtrockin said:

Tuner stopped working with 2.90 update - checked input settings, they're fine (normal patches work)....display doesn't even register a note

Same (Rack). The Tap Delay light doesn't work on some reboots, and the tuner display itself flashes a note briefly before it's blank. After switching back to patches, changing the patch doesn't change the sound and it's stuck on whatever you'd last selected.

v2.91 will fix that, and boot time should remain as fast as v2.90.

Can't think why this huge bug wasn't caught in almost 9 months of beta testing.

What, for 9 months no beta tester turned the volume knob or used the footswitches immediately after turning on the unit?