Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

On 7/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, sd_kirk said:

I think this is the bit that has confused me - if the global settings had been reset to factory defaults (which I was expecting to happen having read about the update before carrying it out), then I would have gone back through the instructions, spotted my mistake and reloaded the back up, but as all the global settings retained my adjusted settings I didn't double check.

Maybe it just depends what you're updating to / from or something, but needless to say I'll be more careful next time!  Better safe than sorry...

An upgrade that retains the global settings cuts down on a huge number of errant "my HX device is broken or different from before the upgrade" support calls and posts. Although the restore of the global settings may have been Line6's only objective and the only reason they posted that in the update instructions I did not make that assumption. You will notice they did not instruct you to uncheck your user/factory setlists(that is a restore option) and only restore the global settings.  For all I know there might have been some additional piece of processing that ensured a smoother upgrade on your setlists if they were restored as well.

I actually was curious as to whether the intent was just the globals or if restore was also necessary for reprocessing the presets to be compatible with the new firmware when I saw the instructions on my last upgrade. Without more detailed guidance from Line6 I try to follow the upgrade instructions to the letter. Since Line6 did not include  the reason for the restore, that included the setlists/presets.

• Upvote 1

HX Stomp

I too am having tuner problems like those reported on pages 45 and 50 of this thread. When I enter Tuner mode shortly after booting the pedal, the Tuner sometimes does not register any signal. I have to reboot and then wait 20-30 seconds before touching any switches. This problem began after I updated to 2.9 and continues now after an update to 2.92.

• 1 month later...

My helix keeps automatically turning the tuner on when Im in my DAW and I have 0 clue why. It randomly started one night in the middle of a recording session and hasn't gone back to normal. It doesn't do this when Im not in the DAW, only in the DAW. Ive tried updating it, Ive tried downgrading it and then updating it again. Ive tweaked the tempo/tap send and receive settings. I cant get in touch with customer service and when I texted the customer service people I got no reply. I cant record while the tuner is on. Someone please explain what is going on and how to fix it. Ive been heavily discouraged. 

6 hours ago, Cmv120 said:

My helix keeps automatically turning the tuner on when Im in my DAW and I have 0 clue why. It randomly started one night in the middle of a recording session and hasn't gone back to normal. It doesn't do this when Im not in the DAW, only in the DAW. Ive tried updating it, Ive tried downgrading it and then updating it again. Ive tweaked the tempo/tap send and receive settings. I cant get in touch with customer service and when I texted the customer service people I got no reply. I cant record while the tuner is on. Someone please explain what is going on and how to fix it. Ive been heavily discouraged. 

Hi,

I understand you are not happy with the issue of the tuner stopping you from recording, but when you are seeking assistance from other users, it helpful to us to know exactly what computer configuration, OS and DAW you a having this issue with.

There are too many options to simply guess what is causing this problem. Sadly, we also have zero clue, therefore no one here can help without this information.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

6 hours ago, Cmv120 said:

This sounds like your DAW is sending MDI CC 68 to the Helix to activate the tuner. Try changing the midi channel in the global settings on the Helix. You can also use a midi message monitor to see if you daw is sending CC 68.

Hello all. I've noticed a weird thing about the multi band compressor. While playing a few chords with my acoustic guitar (through a looper block), and having the multiband comp with all three bands at 0db threshold and gain (supposedly no compression at all), the sound clearly differs when comp is on or off. When on, the midrange honkiness goes away. However, the meters show no compression (as it's supposed to be).

If I do the same with other blocks, there is no change in the sound... But the multi band comp makes that colouration. Is this normal?

5 hours ago, dheran said:

Hello all. I've noticed a weird thing about the multi band compressor. While playing a few chords with my acoustic guitar (through a looper block), and having the multiband comp with all three bands at 0db threshold and gain (supposedly no compression at all), the sound clearly differs when comp is on or off. When on, the midrange honkiness goes away. However, the meters show no compression (as it's supposed to be).

If I do the same with other blocks, there is no change in the sound... But the multi band comp makes that colouration. Is this normal?

There are both "Level" and "Gain" settings as well that can boost or reduce volume. That may be what's happening when the pedal comes on.

22 minutes ago, chrisakinhan said:

There are both "Level" and "Gain" settings as well that can boost or reduce volume. That may be what's happening when the pedal comes on.

Yes, forgot to say that level control was at 0db too. The block shouldn't have any effect with my settings. BUT, I think the only thing going on is a level loss of about 4 db. If I add those 4db to the level parameter, thinks seem to be right. Maybe the level is mostly remarking that mid frequencies.

So the question should've been: did anyone noticed that 4db loss in level through the multicomp?

On 8/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, jdomine said:

This sounds like your DAW is sending MDI CC 68 to the Helix to activate the tuner. Try changing the midi channel in the global settings on the Helix. You can also use a midi message monitor to see if you daw is sending CC 68.

Hey thank you, I will check this. And for the other guy before you I am using a Mac mini OSX.. and Logic Pro X. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Also sorry I was so pissed hahahaha 

2 hours ago, Cmv120 said:

Hey thank you, I will check this. And for the other guy before you I am using a Mac mini OSX.. and Logic Pro X. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Also sorry I was so pissed hahahaha 

Hey, the MIDI CC 68 could well be the solution to your problem. Also, I fully understand the annoyance of the tuner kicking in unexpectedly, but as you said that this started “randomly” during a session, there could well have been other factors involved.
Knowing your OS and DAW can help narrow the field when troubleshooting mysterious glitches.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Wondering if someone here experienced such a bug :

Yesterday I helped a customer to install presets & user cabs (he purchased my presets) via Team Viewer and HX Edit - we're in different countries. His Helix is under firmware 2.92, my presets 2.82. Impulses installation went well, however, there was some bug while installing the presets : Their names on the HX Edit editor panel were fine, but the left part, with the presets list, was still displaying the names of the presets that has been overwritten. There was also an error message, see the screenshot. In some cases, the original presets stayed, despite being overwritten with new presets. Is that a known bug ?

thumbnail.jpg

3 hours ago, fremen said:

Wondering if someone here experienced such a bug :

Hi Fremen,

There is a post here about this issue and it seems the fix is a reinstall of the firmware, and to follow the install instructions exactly. Something may have been accidentally overlooked during the remote install.

link:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am trying to use my HX Stomp with a Boss RC-500 looper. I would like the RC-500 to send the tempo information to the HX. This works correctly until I stop a loop on the RC-500. The HX then returns to its default bpm value. I tested this with my Fractal FM3 and it did not happen so I believe the issue is with the Stomp. Any help would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, AeroUSA said:

Hi everyone. I am trying to use my HX Stomp with a Boss RC-500 looper. I would like the RC-500 to send the tempo information to the HX. This works correctly until I stop a loop on the RC-500. The HX then returns to its default bpm value. I tested this with my Fractal FM3 and it did not happen so I believe the issue is with the Stomp. Any help would be appreciated. 

Correct, the HX logic (at least up to the last time I did this a year or so ago) needs the midi clock constantly sent to it to be slaved to that tempo - it doesn’t train its internal clock to the midi clock, but rather switches over to it wholesale (tap led turns blue iirc). Once the midi clock stops being received, it reverts to its internal clock (which hasn’t been re-trained at all throughout this process). 

And yes, this is contrary to how several other vendors do it, and is super annoying. 

12 minutes ago, shmaque said:

Correct, the HX logic (at least up to the last time I did this a year or so ago) needs the midi clock constantly sent to it to be slaved to that tempo - it doesn’t train its internal clock to the midi clock, but rather switches over to it wholesale (tap led turns blue iirc). Once the midi clock stops being received, it reverts to its internal clock (which hasn’t been re-trained at all throughout this process). 

And yes, this is contrary to how several other vendors do it, and is super annoying. 

Thanks. What I want to do is tap the tempo in for a freeform loop and then switch to a saved loop that has a specified tempo which is sent to the Stomp...

34 minutes ago, AeroUSA said:

Thanks. What I want to do is tap the tempo in for a freeform loop and then switch to a saved loop that has a specified tempo which is sent to the Stomp...

As long as the Stomp is being sent a MIDI tempo/clock, it'll slave to that. If that (constant) clock goes away, it'll revert to whatever you had previously tapped in. So, depending on how the loops work on your RC500, that's either ideal or makes it impossible to do what you want to do :) (It's an all or nothing thing, and I'm not sure if you can arbitrarily tell the RC500 to send clocks or not send clocks on a loop by loop basis)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I copied a text that I wrote someone here.

HX STOMP - NO SOUND

Once in a while my Stomp also has no Sound.

Everything else works as it should.

The first time I was really concerned and checked all other Equipment around.

Then I simply switched the unit off and on again and it was fixed.

Now I am used to it and know what to do.

This is anything but nice.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Updated HX Stomp to 3.0 last night.

Now, when in Snapshot mode...the foot switches are not changing the Snapshot, or lighting up the selected footswitch.

For example...I'm in Snapshot mode and FS1 is lit, and the screen indicates that I'm on FS1. If I select FS2 or FS3, the footswitch does not light up, nor does the Snapshot # change on the display screen. The only thing that changes is that the letter "E" appears under the camera icon on the screen.

If I switch to any other mode, all of the footswitches work as expected. As soon as I switch back into Snapshot mode, footswitches do not work or light up (except for whichever foot switch I last pressed in one of the other modes). Meaning, if I was in Snapshot mode and FS1 was lit, then switched to "Stomp" mode and pressed FS2, when I switch back to Snapshot mode...FS2 is now lit....but I cannot change the snapshot by clicking FS1 or FS3.

If I go into "Command Center", and set the function of FS1 and FS2 to "Snapshot"...it seems to work...HOWEVER if I have also Stomp assignments to each of those switches (say a Chorus on FS1 and Delay on FS2)....when I'm in Snapshot mode and select FS1 or FS2...it'll change the snapshot but ALSO change the status of the assigned stomp to that switch (it should ONLY be changing the Snapshot when in Snapshot mode).  ALSO, In Command Center, I cannot assign a function to FS3 (when turning the button to change the command for FS3...it does nothing....but works fine when trying to set the command for FS1 and FS2).

I have upcoming gigs and need Snapshots to work properly.

Is this a bug in 3.0? 

26 minutes ago, rondesjardins said:

Now, when in Snapshot mode...the foot switches are not changing the Snapshot, or lighting up the selected footswitch.

For example...I'm in Snapshot mode and FS1 is lit, and the screen indicates that I'm on FS1. If I select FS2 or FS3, the footswitch does not light up, nor does the Snapshot # change on the display screen. The only thing that changes is that the letter "E" appears under the camera icon on the screen.

If I switch to any other mode, all of the footswitches work as expected. As soon as I switch back into Snapshot mode, footswitches do not work or light up (except for whichever foot switch I last pressed in one of the other modes). Meaning, if I was in Snapshot mode and FS1 was lit, then switched to "Stomp" mode and pressed FS2, when I switch back to Snapshot mode...FS2 is now lit....but I cannot change the snapshot by clicking FS1 or FS3.

If I go into "Command Center", and set the function of FS1 and FS2 to "Snapshot"...it seems to work...HOWEVER if I have also Stomp assignments to each of those switches (say a Chorus on FS1 and Delay on FS2)....when I'm in Snapshot mode and select FS1 or FS2...it'll change the snapshot but ALSO change the status of the assigned stomp to that switch (it should ONLY be changing the Snapshot when in Snapshot mode).  ALSO, In Command Center, I cannot assign a function to FS3 (when turning the button to change the command for FS3...it does nothing....but works fine when trying to set the command for FS1 and FS2).

Is this a bug in 3.0? 

Oops! :( I think I'm waiting a few days before updating my Helix LT. I use snapshots a lot.

3 hours ago, rondesjardins said:

Is this a bug in 3.0? 

SO...an update.

I hooked up the Stomp to my computer and launched HX Edit. I then went into a preset and tried selecting the Snapshots within the Snapshot dropdown. Each time I did this, I got the following error message in an orange bar across the top of the HX Edit window:  "The Helix failed to recall the snapshot data properly."

This error message happened regardless of the preset I selected in HX Edit. 

THANKFULLY, I did a Backup before updating to 3.0.

So, I just "Restored from Backup", which reloaded all my presets and the Snapshot switches now work! Success...well, kinda...

As I went through each preset, the first Snapshot would typically be just amp and reverb, and the second snapshot would add a delay (and maybe a drive). When I load the preset the first Snapshot comes up fine. Then, when I press FS2 and get the second snapshot, it also turned on the delay (as expected). But, when I hit FS1 to go back to the first snapshot it did not turn off the delay block (that was only supposed to be on in snapshot 2)  Interestingly, for presets where I had a preset with 3 snapshots...each with a different delay setting....it still had all of the correct delay settings/values per snapshot. It just seems that if you have snapshots that turn on/off different block...the 3.0 update (at least on my Stomp) did not maintain the on/off (bypass) state of the blocks in each snapshot.

To resolve this....I went into each of my presets...looked at the first snapshot and noted which blocks were "off". Then I went into the second snapshot and noted which ones turned "on". THEN, I went back to the first snapshot and turned off the block(s) that shouldn't be on in that snapshot. I then saved the preset....and it "seems" to work fine now.

Thankfully I only have a small # of presets with relatively simple settings. If you have a lot of presets, fixing them this way would be very tedious. 

Hopefully Line6 can advise if this is a bug and get a fix released soon.

Hope this helps someone.

6 hours ago, rondesjardins said:

So, I just "Restored from Backup", which reloaded all my presets and the Snapshot switches now work!

The thing about updates is, you are advised to do a backup because everything will be reset to factory defaults. First thing most people notice is the global settings have changed. Reload your backup and everything should be fine.

3.0 Firmware New Bug Report !!
Hello guys. So there's a bug that's caused ONLY when you turn Spillover ON. I've double checked it and here's what happens. Let's say you have all EXP(1,2 & 3) pedals set to Global Position which means they keep their value while you change presets. Now, lets say you have a Volume pedal on Exp 3, while you have Spillover OFF,  it works just fine, retaining its value while you go through presets. When you have Splillover ON tho, that value keeps switching while you change presets and especially when you have EXP 3 as your volume pedal, you get massive ups and downs on volumes between presets, which is annoying. The same problem happens to EXP1 and EXP2 as well. I hope they fix it soon cause Spillover is kind of a good Addon but it's useless like that.

My Variax settings per snapshot seem to have disappeared. 

F/W 3.0

Edit version 3.0

Windows 7

Helix LT

Variax Standard

My presets have snapshots with different Variax models. Snap 1 is Spank3, Snap 2 is Lester5, Snap 3 is Magnetics, etc.

Since updating to 3.0 none of the snapshots recall those settings.

Now the all Snapshots (with Variax as input)  just shows whatever the knobs on the variax show.  ie, if I have the knobs on Variax set to T model 1, then all the snaps in that preset shot Tmodel 1 as the Variax input. 

5 minutes ago, firehawkkwah said:

Fire up HX Edit and choose to reload the backup you made before updating to v3.0. You should see the option to reload your Global settings. That should bring it back to how you had it set. If not, reload everything in your backup, as the settings for the Variax may be stored in each preset.

See if that helps.

You did make a back up didn’t you?

;-)

On 10/13/2015 at 9:54 PM, archisc said:

1) Helix randomly freeze when I create patches from scratch.. like adding stomp boxes or amps. Don't know if there is a particular pattern or happens only with certain amp and stomps.

I found the same issue today on my HXstomp, after firmware update 3.0, twice, addiing or moving patches with editor on Mac (high sierra), no sound going out, need a reboot to fix it.

Gian

1 hour ago, firehawkkwah said:

F/W 3.0

Edit version 3.0

Windows 7

Helix LT

Variax Standard

My presets have snapshots with different Variax models. Snap 1 is Spank3, Snap 2 is Lester5, Snap 3 is Magnetics, etc.

Since updating to 3.0 none of the snapshots recall those settings.

Now the all Snapshots (with Variax as input)  just shows whatever the knobs on the variax show.  ie, if I have the knobs on Variax set to T model 1, then all the snaps in that preset shot Tmodel 1 as the Variax input. 

This is a global issue, but the global setting you need to change is not in globals, instead it is the first dial when you page to the Variax input block. Can't remember the name of it. but you change that and you are golden across all your patches.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Mikkelmusiker said:

I Just updated to 3.0, and it worked fine..almost. It says its running 3.0, but there's no new fearures. What to do?

As you can see- no acoustic sim here. 

Skærmbillede 2020-11-21 kl. 12.04.46.png

You need to update HX Edit.

10 hours ago, Pamp1nos said:

3.0 Firmware New Bug Report !!
Hello guys. So there's a bug that's caused ONLY when you turn Spillover ON. I've double checked it and here's what happens. Let's say you have all EXP(1,2 & 3) pedals set to Global Position which means they keep their value while you change presets. Now, lets say you have a Volume pedal on Exp 3, while you have Spillover OFF,  it works just fine, retaining its value while you go through presets. When you have Splillover ON tho, that value keeps switching while you change presets and especially when you have EXP 3 as your volume pedal, you get massive ups and downs on volumes between presets, which is annoying. The same problem happens to EXP1 and EXP2 as well. I hope they fix it soon cause Spillover is kind of a good Addon but it's useless like that.

Well, I'm not exactly sure that's a bug. Your presets may just be a different levels. The EXP Position set to Global maintain the position of the expression pedal through preset changes, but the relative level of the signal it's control will be different, so you can still have volume fluctuations.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

Well, I'm not exactly sure that's a bug. Your presets may just be a different levels. The EXP Position set to Global maintain the position of the expression pedal through preset changes, but the relative level of the signal it's control will be different, so you can still have volume fluctuations.

No Phil. My presets are on the same level. I use these presets on live gigs so, the whole pedal is set correctly when it comes to leveling sounds. That's what i'm saying. It doesn't maintain the position when the pedal is set to Spillover ON. If you said Spillover OFF, it works just fine. In simple words, when Spillover is Off, Global Position works correctly on all EXP pedals. When Spillover is ON, Global Position on all EXP pedals doesn't work and instead it gives you an almost random pedal position value every time you change preset, even if you don't touch the EXP pedal at all. I could have it to 50% for example while playing "Preset 1", then switch to "Preset 2" or any other preset ( i also tried switching 3-4 presets in a row), and figure out it gives me some random Values (say 82% or 36% for example) and even when i go back to Preset 1, there's a 50-50 chance it gives me a random number again. Some times it keeps up with the Global position and some other times, it doesn't. Check it out and tell me if it works ok for you please. Thank you for your reply.

35 minutes ago, Pamp1nos said:

No Phil. My presets are on the same level. I use these presets on live gigs so, the whole pedal is set correctly when it comes to leveling sounds. That's what i'm saying. It doesn't maintain the position when the pedal is set to Spillover ON. If you said Spillover OFF, it works just fine. In simple words, when Spillover is Off, Global Position works correctly on all EXP pedals. When Spillover is ON, Global Position on all EXP pedals doesn't work and instead it gives you an almost random pedal position value every time you change preset, even if you don't touch the EXP pedal at all. I could have it to 50% for example while playing "Preset 1", then switch to "Preset 2" or any other preset ( i also tried switching 3-4 presets in a row), and figure out it gives me some random Values (say 82% or 36% for example) and even when i go back to Preset 1, there's a 50-50 chance it gives me a random number again. Some times it keeps up with the Global position and some other times, it doesn't. Check it out and tell me if it works ok for you please. Thank you for your reply.

I just tried it using my Rack, and it's working as expected. I haven't tried it on my Floor yet.

Have you done a factory reset since updating?

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

I just tried it using my Rack, and it's working as expected. I haven't tried it on my Floor yet.

Have you done a factory reset since updating?

Yeah.. I've done a Global Reset. I also restored my back up twice but nothing worked. Like i said, it only happens when i have spillover on. When it's off, everything is fine.

34 minutes ago, Pamp1nos said:

Yeah.. I've done a Global Reset. I also restored my back up twice but nothing worked. Like i said, it only happens when i have spillover on. When it's off, everything is fine.

Yes, I tried it with Spillover on when I tested it on my Rack as well.

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yes, I tried it with Spillover on when I tested it on my Rack as well.

Ok. I would appreciate to get your feedback whenever you try it on Floor. I'm curious to see if it's a general bug or just happens to me :) Thank you in advance !!

16 hours ago, datacommando said:

Fire up HX Edit and choose to reload the backup you made before updating to v3.0. You should see the option to reload your Global settings. That should bring it back to how you had it set. If not, reload everything in your backup, as the settings for the Variax may be stored in each preset.

See if that helps.

You did make a back up didn’t you?

;-)

I restored to to the backup and everything worked fine.

Then when I restarted the Helix it  started updating automatically back to 3. Rebuilding the presets. Without any intervention from me.

So now it's back to 3, even though I didn't try, and the Variax assignments through snapshots works.

So I'm ok, but the whole thing was a little weird!

• Like 1