Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

3.0 computer crash bug?

I'm having a pretty consistent computer reboot issue when I turn off the 3.0 Helix LT while it is the selected interface in Ableton. This is a fairly recent build Windows 10 20H2 build computer that has been rock solid up until 3.0 Helix. 

If the Helix is the selected Audio interface and I turn off the Helix with the DAW running, it will consistently crash the PC.

If I select my Tascam as the audio interface instead, turning off the helix does not crash the PC.

A friend of mine has a stomp with a similar build PC and he has noticed the same thing, except he uses Reaper.

10 minutes ago, alighton said:

3.0 computer crash bug?

I'm having a pretty consistent computer reboot issue when I turn off the 3.0 Helix LT while it is the selected interface in Ableton. This is a fairly recent build Windows 10 20H2 build computer that has been rock solid up until 3.0 Helix. 

If the Helix is the selected Audio interface and I turn off the Helix with the DAW running, it will consistently crash the PC.

If I select my Tascam as the audio interface instead, turning off the helix does not crash the PC.

A friend of mine has a stomp with a similar build PC and he has noticed the same thing, except he uses Reaper.

Well, don’t do that... It doesn’t happen all the time, but Reaper will often crash if you turn off the interface while it’s running.

What would be the reasoning for powering off the Helix before closing Reaper?

Think I found a bug. Helix Floor 3.0, HX Edit 3.0

If you switch on spillover mode with HX Edit connected everything works as expected and HX Edit correctly reflects what's going on in the unit.
If you then turn off spillover mode, HX Edit doesn't show the second path again in any preset until you restart HX Edit.

It doesn't just crash Ableton, it crashes the whole PC. It's not that big a deal, I just have to remember to kill the DAW or change the interface before turning off the Helix. But it's still unexpected and undesirable behavior that I think is new with 3.0.

1 hour ago, angusstornoway said:

Poly Capo not showing in HX edit.

Hi,

Strange, if just that is missing?

Make sure that you are running HX Edit v3.0 - then check under "Pitch/Synth" - > Mono and it should be right there under Poly Pitch and Poly Whammy. If not do a Factory Reset on your hardware.

Hope this helps/makes sense

8 minutes ago, Mandomony said:

hi everyone, i updated to 3.0 on my helix lt and I'm not able to see the new amp models and poly tune  any suggestion?

Yes, I suggest searching before asking a question... :-)

Downloaded 3.0 on Friday,  been playing with it happily since. A while ago, which switching presets it got stuck and HX suddenly disconnected. I've restarted both but no dice. It´s stuck on the same presets and neither the foot-switches nor the joysticks are doing anything. Thankfully I backed everything up today, but is this "absolute freeze" thing a known issue )I've only had the Helix for a couple of months.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, StaccoP2P said:

Downloaded 3.0 on Friday,  been playing with it happily since. A while ago, which switching presets it got stuck and HX suddenly disconnected. I've restarted both but no dice. It´s stuck on the same presets and neither the foot-switches nor the joysticks are doing anything. Thankfully I backed everything up today, but is this "absolute freeze" thing a known issue )I've only had the Helix for a couple of months.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

It sounds like it could be a corrupted preset. If you power up while holding FS11 & FS12 down, that will clear the current preset.

If that doesn't work, you can do a factory reset by holding down FS9 & FS10 while powering up and then do a Restore from Backup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alighton said:

It doesn't just crash Ableton, it crashes the whole PC. It's not that big a deal, I just have to remember to kill the DAW or change the interface before turning off the Helix. But it's still unexpected and undesirable behavior that I think is new with 3.0.

Did some further testing....If I make my Tascam the audio interface in Ableton, and turn it on and turn it off, nothing bad happens. If I make my LT the audio interface in Ableton, turning the Helix off OR unplugging the USB cable will crash the COMPUTER, not just the DAW, 100% of the time.

Like I said, not that big a deal, easy to work around.  But it would seem to indicate that the Line 6 driver has something a little wonky about it.

There is a problem with the Helix 3.0 firmware download page here:

https://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/media/software/10067/HELIX_Floor_v3.00.0_0x07bc7e264_bundle.hxf

I've attached a pic showing what happens (instead of a clean download).

This is the attempt to download the Helix 3.0 firmware update file from Line6 Software Downloads here:

https://line6.com/software/

I do not know if this problem would affect trying to update the Helix FW from inside HX Edit (but I'd rather wait for a confirmed fix than roll the dice).

Please advise.   Thanks!

Helix FW DL page issue 01.jpg

23 minutes ago, SteveJohns said:

Please advise.   Thanks!

Hi Steve,

That .hxf file is the firmware file. You have to be running the Line 6 Installer to run it properly while connected to your hardware device.

Trying to open it on its own will not work, it’s a bundle for the installer to deal with.

When the Variax volume control is set to "Don't Force", it does not "respect the current Variax volume knob position." as it says in the new 3.0 Helix manual. It stays on the last position it was on. So if Helix turned the Volume down to 5.0 in one patch and is on"Don't Force" on another, it will stay at 5.0 even though the volume knob is at 10.0

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi Steve,

That .hxf file is the firmware file. You have to be running the Line 6 Installer to run it properly while connected to your hardware device.

Trying to open it on its own will not work, it’s a bundle for the installer to deal with.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.   I wasn't trying to open it, merely to download it, going thru the normal steps (as shown in the attached pics).

The result should have been a file downloaded to my disk, not a page full of  try {}  code in the browser.

This is almost surely an infrastructure / web-side error which needs to be corrected by Line6.

Helix FW Download Selection.jpg

Helix FW Download Selection 02.jpg

5 minutes ago, SteveJohns said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.   I wasn't trying to open it, merely to download it, going thru the normal steps (as shown in the attached pics).

The result should have been a file downloaded to my disk, not a page full of  try {}  code in the browser.

This is almost surely an infrastructure / web-side error which needs to be corrected by Line6.

Did you try a different browser, or clearing your cache? Since this isn't a widely reported issue, it might be something going on there.

7 minutes ago, SteveJohns said:

Hi Steve,

That’s very odd even though I’m Mac based I got the bundle to download without that issue. Possibly a checksum error with the download. I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else. I guess you have tried to download again?

30 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Did you try a different browser, or clearing your cache? Since this isn't a widely reported issue, it might be something going on there.

Huh.   Sure 'nuff, using MS Edge worked cleanly.

Problem was when using Firefox 83.0 (64-bit).  

OK, onward.   Thanks all!

• Thanks 1

You need to be careful with the new Firefox browser.   For some file types the download window now has several options to select including the option to open the file which is the default.  See the attachment.   Be sure you select download and not open  as your choice.  You can also specify that as your default. Caught me by surprise more than once.

DaveJ

Firefox Save Selection.jpeg

40 minutes ago, davej46 said:

You need to be careful with the new Firefox browser.   For some file types the download window now has several options to select including the option to open the file which is the default.  See the attachment.   Be sure you select download and not open  as your choice.  You can also specify that as your default. Caught me by surprise more than once.

Thanks.   It is still strange because .hxf is not a defined format here to 'Open in Firefox'.   However, it seems to do so anyway!

Regardless, I've accomplished my update.   Thanks again!

Open in FireFox 01.jpg

• Like 1

Help. I updated my HXEdit software from 2.91 to 3.0 manually and then backed up my stuff and then tried to update my Helix LT to 3.0 firmware using the HX edit update process but it's been stuck on the message "initializing  firmware installation" at the bottom of HX EDIT software screen and the message "update message server started" on the LT hardware for over 50 minutes now with no changes and no progress bar to show me if its frozen or not. 

Helix LT buttons lit up are top row:

A - bright RED

Bottom row:

A- light orange

B - Bright Blue 

C - Bright orange

D - Bright blue

TAP - FLASHING RED

any ideas how long it takes?  Or did it freeze???

What now ???

Edited by kinglerxt
Type o

Never mind.  Its working now.  I shut off the helix LT and rebooted my pc and then started the process over again (fearing a bricked unit by stopping the process) and it finally gave the update progress bar after a few seconds.. phew. Not fun.  Don't know what happened the first time. I didn't do anything wrong or opposite the instructions.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, rondesjardins said:

Updated HX Stomp to 3.0 last night.

Now, when in Snapshot mode...the foot switches are not changing the Snapshot, or lighting up the selected footswitch.

For example...I'm in Snapshot mode and FS1 is lit, and the screen indicates that I'm on FS1. If I select FS2 or FS3, the footswitch does not light up, nor does the Snapshot # change on the display screen. The only thing that changes is that the letter "E" appears under the camera icon on the screen.

If I switch to any other mode, all of the footswitches work as expected. As soon as I switch back into Snapshot mode, footswitches do not work or light up (except for whichever foot switch I last pressed in one of the other modes). Meaning, if I was in Snapshot mode and FS1 was lit, then switched to "Stomp" mode and pressed FS2, when I switch back to Snapshot mode...FS2 is now lit....but I cannot change the snapshot by clicking FS1 or FS3.

If I go into "Command Center", and set the function of FS1 and FS2 to "Snapshot"...it seems to work...HOWEVER if I have also Stomp assignments to each of those switches (say a Chorus on FS1 and Delay on FS2)....when I'm in Snapshot mode and select FS1 or FS2...it'll change the snapshot but ALSO change the status of the assigned stomp to that switch (it should ONLY be changing the Snapshot when in Snapshot mode).  ALSO, In Command Center, I cannot assign a function to FS3 (when turning the button to change the command for FS3...it does nothing....but works fine when trying to set the command for FS1 and FS2).

I have upcoming gigs and need Snapshots to work properly.

Is this a bug in 3.0? 

On 11/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, rondesjardins said:

SO...an update.

I hooked up the Stomp to my computer and launched HX Edit. I then went into a preset and tried selecting the Snapshots within the Snapshot dropdown. Each time I did this, I got the following error message in an orange bar across the top of the HX Edit window:  "The Helix failed to recall the snapshot data properly."

This error message happened regardless of the preset I selected in HX Edit. 

THANKFULLY, I did a Backup before updating to 3.0.

So, I just "Restored from Backup", which reloaded all my presets and the Snapshot switches now work! Success...well, kinda...

As I went through each preset, the first Snapshot would typically be just amp and reverb, and the second snapshot would add a delay (and maybe a drive). When I load the preset the first Snapshot comes up fine. Then, when I press FS2 and get the second snapshot, it also turned on the delay (as expected). But, when I hit FS1 to go back to the first snapshot it did not turn off the delay block (that was only supposed to be on in snapshot 2)  Interestingly, for presets where I had a preset with 3 snapshots...each with a different delay setting....it still had all of the correct delay settings/values per snapshot. It just seems that if you have snapshots that turn on/off different block...the 3.0 update (at least on my Stomp) did not maintain the on/off (bypass) state of the blocks in each snapshot.

To resolve this....I went into each of my presets...looked at the first snapshot and noted which blocks were "off". Then I went into the second snapshot and noted which ones turned "on". THEN, I went back to the first snapshot and turned off the block(s) that shouldn't be on in that snapshot. I then saved the preset....and it "seems" to work fine now.

Thankfully I only have a small # of presets with relatively simple settings. If you have a lot of presets, fixing them this way would be very tedious. 

Hopefully Line6 can advise if this is a bug and get a fix released soon.

Hope this helps someone.

Had the same problem with my HX Stomp.

Actually, I use MIDI to control my Stomp and when sending MIDI CC messages to turn blocks on or off, it didn't show up on screen. It did activate the blocks in the background as the sound changed, but not the bypass state indication. When hitting VIEW to go from "Play View" to "Edit View" (or vice-versa) it did update the screen. Same with changing snapshots as you described.

Asked the Line6 guys and they advised me to do a factory reset. Backup first! Then press FS2 and FS 3 while starting the Stomp.

Problem solved! Restored from my backup and I'm good to go

I'm a proud owner of a Helix LT, I do have Helix edit version 3.0 and on the HELIX LT the firmware is also 3.0. I'm wandering what I did wrong, because when I use the up and down switch to switch banks the Helix misses the bank where the presets 000, 001, 002, 003 are, but only when I go down from 004, 005 etc. Going down from this bank, it ends up in where the presets 124, 125,126 and 127 are. Did some resets, nothing helped. Hope someone give me a solution

7 minutes ago, Lymafoto said:

I'm a proud owner of a Helix LT, I do have Helix edit version 3.0 and on the HELIX LT the firmware is also 3.0. I'm wandering what I did wrong, because when I use the up and down switch to switch banks the Helix misses the bank where the presets 000, 001, 002, 003 are, but only when I go down from 004, 005 etc. Going down from this bank, it ends up in where the presets 124, 125,126 and 127 are. Did some resets, nothing helped. Hope someone give me a solution

This is a known bug that shows up if you’re using one of the preset views that shows 4 presets.

After updating to 3.00 (Helix Rack), the Helix Control reacts very strange. Whenever an external expression pedal is connected, the display jumps rapidly between the name of the preset and '01%'. As soon as I disconnect the expression pedal, the error is gone and there's only the name of the display. I downgraded to 2.92, but the same thing happens there. It was not like that before I upgraded. I switched off Helix Control during the update process. 

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

Edit: I found out that when I move the pedal (it's a Mission Engineering SP1-L6 Helix), the number in the display changes to 100% when the pedal is completey pressed down. The numbers themselves make sense now, but why are they displayed in the display?

9 minutes ago, freiherr08 said:

After updating to 3.00 (Helix Rack), the Helix Control reacts very strange. Whenever an external expression pedal is connected, the display jumps rapidly between the name of the preset and '01%'. As soon as I disconnect the expression pedal, the error is gone and there's only the name of the display. I downgraded to 2.92, but the same thing happens there. It was not like that before I upgraded. I switched off Helix Control during the update process. 

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

Well, the display indicates the pedal position when you move the pedal. If it’s jittery, it could be a bad cable.

There’s a global setting under Displays>Pedal Position Display if you want to turn it off.

I am trying to use the win10 camera app to record video, while using HX Stomp to generate audio. I connect the stomp via USB and set it as default sound input. However, when I try to record, the win10 camera immediately stops with a message that the video had become too big to save as a single file. As soon as I unplug the stomp, the camera app can record without problems, using the computer's microphone as sound...

It happened to me with two different computers, so the issue is at least somewhat general.

I am experiencing a very strange problem on my HX Stomp since updating. If I copy and paste a preset or a single block to another preset I lose the capability of saving my presets. I click on save (both in HX edit and on the device itself), but when I go back to the preset it’s empty. The problem seems to go away after a factory reset, but it comes back as soon as I copy and paste again. Switching the device off and on doesn’t help. It’s very very annoying. 

Update: I just noticed that I had updated the firmware to 3.0, but not the HX Edit. I have now updated the latter and done a factory reset. I have not been able to reproduce the issue after that. It’s quite late here in Sweden, so I have only tested for a couple of minutes. However, I have now copied and pasted a block without losing the possibility to save my presets (fingers crossed!). 

• Upvote 1

I have discovered a weird EQ bug in one of my presets. Snapshot 1 plays fine but when I switch to another snapshot all of the 2khz bands suddenly become +15dB - which is not how I had them set. Then when I switch back to snapshot 1, it too now says +15dB. If I double click the preset (reload) snapshot 1 corrects itself. But if I change snapshots again, the +15dB problem returns. I've imported an old exported backup I made months ago before installing 3.0 and it has the same problem even when saved in a different preset slot.

Helix LT running HXedit 3.0 with 3.0 firmware upgraded recently from fw 2.82.

Windows 7 machine 32GB ram

Here are some screenshots and the preset.

helix eq bug1.jpg

helix eq bug2.jpg

helix eq bug3.jpg

TOM WAITS.hlx

5 hours ago, mritt said:

Hi,

First thing to do is, from within HX Edit, open the backup which you made prior to updating to v.3.0, and choose the option to reset your Globals back to what they were before installing the update.

Installing new new firmware resets to factory default and possibly has screwed up you Snapshot setting. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

7 hours ago, mritt said:

I have discovered a weird EQ bug in one of my presets. Snapshot 1 plays fine but when I switch to another snapshot all of the 2khz bands suddenly become +15dB - which is not how I had them set. Then when I switch back to snapshot 1, it too now says +15dB. If I double click the preset (reload) snapshot 1 corrects itself. But if I change snapshots again, the +15dB problem returns. I've imported an old exported backup I made months ago before installing 3.0 and it has the same problem even when saved in a different preset slot.

Here are some screenshots and the preset.

I saw something similar to this in a beta build of an older firmware. It might be a corrupt preset. First. Try saving to another slot and then back. You MIGHT have to delete the EQ block and put it back in, but try that first.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

First thing to do is, from within HX Edit, open the backup which you made prior to updating to v.3.0, and choose the option to reset your Globals back to what they were before installing the update.

Installing new new firmware resets to factory default and possibly has screwed up you Snapshot setting. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I did that right after I upgraded to 3.0 and I did it again today. The problem still occurs.

15 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

I saw something similar to this in a beta build of an older firmware. It might be a corrupt preset. First. Try saving to another slot and then back. You MIGHT have to delete the EQ block and put it back in, but try that first.

I tried copying preset versions from my harddrive as well as the preset on the Helix into blank slots and the same +15DB issue popped up again.

I guess I will have to rebuild the preset from scratch. Not a big task but thank you very much Datacommando and PeterHamm for your help.

Just to follow up with my EQ problem. Rather than being a corrupt preset I'm thinking it may actually be a bug. In my original first snapshot (top picture of my original post) I was able to set the 2kHz band to +2.3dB. Now, strangely I cannot use that value. I can slide it to +2.2dB or +2.4dB, but +2.3dB won't pop up as the value. If I try typing in +2.3 into that band it reads 2.2 after I hit enter.

Perhaps in the new FW, the EQ doesn't accept certain values and when it encounters these values in a preset it pumps them to +15db. Hmmmm...

After 3.0, all of the old bugs I've known have not been addressed.  Workarounds are indicated where applicable. 

old bugs:

1. disabling touch-sensitivity on buttons doesn't actually disable it

2. mono-out 1/4" is just the left channel, until you plug in a 1/4" cable into the right channel, and unplug it.  Then it becomes mono.

3. Going into tuner and exiting the tuner on the LT doesn't bring you back to the previous screen: it's either the block edit view or the performance view.  It can be changed by changing any setting in the global settings for the buttons.  For the LT, it makes sense for it to go back to the performance view (Snapshots, etc) after exiting the tuner, otherwise it's an additional button press.  

4. HX edit bug introduced in 2.9, still here: if you put the cursor on a specific block and CTR+S it, it doesn't get saved.  The only way to change where the cursor is placed in your chain is to make an additional change in your preset, such as disabling a block, CTR+S, enabling a block, putting the cursor on the necessary block, and CTR+S.

new bugs:

1. loud pop/clicking sound when switching between 2 snapshots where the Acoustic Sim was on and now is off.  

The acoustic sim is pretty good I gotta say, the most important feature for me, actually.  But it has that certain hissing sound, like a sample is being played when you strum notes/chords.  Like it's a hissy recording.  

On 11/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, alighton said:

I've had that happen in 2.92