Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

I friend of mine (super serious tone freak guitarist) recently picked up an HX Stomp to replace his boss cab simulator which had certain issues.  He's finally, after a lot of work and analysis of the before and after responses, gotten it dialed in well and really likes it, when he's now finding that after switching back and forth between two presets, after about 10 switches the volume drops, as though eh LA compressor disabled or something.  He has to powercycle to recover.

I think there are recurring bug reports about similar, possibly related, issues?  This is with FW 3.0.1.

Cheers

8 hours ago, merdenoms74 said:

Can Line6 fix the disconnecting issues with HX Edit and Big Sur already? Major PITA!

As Line 6 posted a notification at the top of this page in a bright orange banner, which reads:

“MacOS 11 Compatibility with Line 6 Software”

it goes on to explain - Currently, Line 6 software products are not compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur.

Major PITA for those who didn’t bother to read it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jcspirited said:

I have updated to firmware 3.0 twice. Same thing happens. When switching presets, or just re selecting the same preset. There's this modulation effect. I attached a small audio clip. Anybody else have this?  

Helix_3.0_Preset_Switch_3.wav 2.23 MB · 0 downloads

Your wav file seems to be blank.

hello,

Is it normal?

I use a midi clock before the Helix.

When i engage the clock the helix changes his tempo and my effects after too.

When i disengage the clock the helix returns on his snapshot tempo but not the other effect (strymon).

Another strange think with midi clock. If the helix is midi thru when you use a midi clock before. The externe midi clock and the helix midi are adding her clock so the tempo on the other effect are doubled.

I post this on another subject :

We need :

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as I activate the relative snapshot

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as we hit the tap tempo switch (it have to work with CC 64)

- The same with a midi clock send on the helix

I hope it's could be on the next update because some sounds with LFO are very cool but unuseless like that

Thanks

Hi Helix gurus

The new 3.01 Helix firmware seems to have broken the "Simple Pitch Shift" key change ability.

It now sounds warbled, like there is some weird delay or effect going on when I just want to simply shift up/down a semi-tone or more.

"seems worse when shifting lower"

Everything worked fine in sound before 3.0/3.01

This is really important to my live performances as it is now unusable on stage and I need to tune my guitar instead of using the feature.

If this could please be given some attention, that would be fantastic, as I now need to have multiple guitars just for key changes when a capo is not going to work.

Also, the Looper seems to have a slight delay processing now and cuts off the start of the beat when pushed to record, like a slight delay?

Actually, even changing patches seems slower and has audible drops before the selected patch allows audio again.

*Addition
My Bass player also has a Helix LT and has now confirmed the exact same issue after upgrading. So that's Helix and Helix LT that have the same issue.

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

Edited by aklein
Addtional information.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, dyba514 said:

I updated from FW 3.00 to FW 3.01,... now my helix floor cannot control my PowerCab plus 112 anymore ...

I can hear the audio signal, but the parameters of the output block do not change anything on the PC+ anymore.

The powercab plus is up to date (FW2.001) , I tried to change the cable, but the problem persist.

Any idea ?

Edit : --> I restored the factory settings (power up while pressing buttons 9 & 10), then restored a backup, and now it seems to work again.

I have the same issue, and the reset and restore of the Helix did not help.  It still seems to select whatever the hell preset it feels like selecting, not the one I programmed.  This needs to be fixed!  Right now this setup is completely useless for gigging.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 5:20 PM, realtwang said:

I have the same issue, and the reset and restore of the Helix did not help.  It still seems to select whatever the hell preset it feels like selecting, not the one I programmed.  This needs to be fixed!  Right now this setup is completely useless for gigging.

Yep. I have found that to save things properly, don't use HX Edit 3, it's broken.

Do what you need to do to get yourself setup the way you want and which screen is displayed on the floor unit and then "use the floor unit" to save the patch, not HX Edit.

Don't downgrade either. the older HX Edit is not compatible with 3.01 either apparently.

The Pitch shift and looper delay stuff is killing me more than these issues. Total performance breaking bugs. Gone back to carrying multiple instruments. Really nasty update unfortunately.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, aklein said:

Yep. I have found that to save things properly, don't use HX Edit 3, it's broken.

Do what you need to do to get yourself setup the way you want and which screen is displayed on the floor unit and then "use the floor unit" to save the patch, not HX Edit.

Don't downgrade either. the older HX Edit is not compatible with 3.01 either apparently.

The Pitch shift and looper delay stuff is killing me more than these issues. Total performance breaking bugs. Gone back to carrying multiple instruments. Really nasty update unfortunately.

Yes, I tried setting up the commands and saving the patch with the floor unit alone, and I still get the same issue.  This leads me to believe it’s a bug within the Helix firmware, not HX edit.  Whatever they did to the MIDI portion of the code in the firmware royally screwed things up.  I don’t even know if it’s possible to downgrade firmware to a lesser version on the Helix.  What a horrible situation.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:20 AM, realtwang said:

Go to Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo>MIDI PC Send and make sure it’s set to Off.

Firmware 3.01, HX Stomp: When there's a split / A and B path, the HX Edit seems to spasm out. It won't display the preset properly and if there's more than just an IR block in path B it will crash. Sometimes bricks the HX Stomp too which then needs to be powercycled. Attatched image contains a preset with an IR in path B, which starts just after the disabled cab block and ends after the IR in path A.

hxstompbug.PNG.bed628f5874dfc9340ebbe51da0760da.PNG

2 hours ago, AbstractSnow said:

Firmware 3.01, HX Stomp: When there's a split / A and B path, the HX Edit seems to spasm out. It won't display the preset properly and if there's more than just an IR block in path B it will crash. Sometimes bricks the HX Stomp too which then needs to be powercycled. Attatched image contains a preset with an IR in path B, which starts just after the disabled cab block and ends after the IR in path A.

hxstompbug.PNG.bed628f5874dfc9340ebbe51da0760da.PNG

You need to download and install HX Edit 3.0. This is a symptom of having the older version of HX Edit with the newer version of firmware.

13 minutes ago, jcspirited said:

I have uploaded the audio file again. Seems to be there now

That noise is related to the Tempo Pitch parameter under Global Settings>Preferences. Set it to Transparent if you don’t want to hear it.

Thanks Phil m, I will look into that, I appreciate the input. Logically thinking about this. With firmware 2.95, the one before 3.0. Tempo pitch on or off, it didn’t happen. With firmware 3.0 or is it 3.2, it does. That would lead me to think there is an issue, bug if you would. I would think that when pressing a preset button. The only thing that would happen is no sound. That is why snap shots are so popular. There is no Millisecond delay you would get when changing from preset to preset. 

I'm a new user on a Stomp 3.01 and HX edit 3. Switched from a POD XT Live to modular pedals and amp a while ago, and now coming back. 

It seems to me like the tap tempo functions are buggy. I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it, but very rarely is the increment I choose actually played. The tempo fo the flashing light does adjust when I tap it, but the rate of repeats doesn't change. And the rate does change if I move from, say, 1/4 to 1/8, but not in line with the tempo I tapped. 

1 hour ago, GuitarRedneck said:

I'm a new user on a Stomp 3.01 and HX edit 3. Switched from a POD XT Live to modular pedals and amp a while ago, and now coming back. 

It seems to me like the tap tempo functions are buggy. I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it, but very rarely is the increment I choose actually played. The tempo fo the flashing light does adjust when I tap it, but the rate of repeats doesn't change. And the rate does change if I move from, say, 1/4 to 1/8, but not in line with the tempo I tapped. 

Some of the delays have maximum delay times that are lower than others. The Memory Man (Elephant Man) model, for instance, has a max delay tome of 500ms. If you tap in a time that would result in the delay time being longer than that with the note value you have selected, the Helix will automatically shorten the delay time to the next longest value that’s still in time with what you tapped but is still within the max delay time limit.

Ben Adrian, the lead sound designer for the Helix, explains it here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-1701#post-23642314

There’s only a few delays that behave this way. Most have much longer max delay times.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, phil_m said:

That noise is related to the Tempo Pitch parameter under Global Settings>Preferences. Set it to Transparent if you don’t want to hear it.

I have reloaded 3.01 firmware, set Tempo Pitch parameter to transparent, didn't change anything, still have the modulation effect.

Ok, I’m diving deeper and starting to have some real problems. In addition to the delay tempo problem above, I’m experiencing stark tone change when using it as the last pedal before my amp. I’ve been swapping it out with comparable pedals in my chain, and the difference is noticeable. 

with a buffer engaged, then drives, then stomp into amp: harsh highs. Replace the stomp with an echosystem or poly digit and all is fine. 

Without buffer, just drives into stomp into amp: very dull highs, and the drive pedals behave very strangely. They add 10 or so Db to the chain and sound different. Replace the stomp with another pedal and all is fine again. 

none of these problems happen when using the headphones. Sounds great there. 

I’ve changed around bypass settings and line/inst settings. They do affect the sound, but don’t solve the problem. 

between this and none of the tap tempo delays working, I don’t know how I can use this pedal. Can anyone help me out? Could this be a dud unit? 

On my Helix LT, the 1 switch looper acts very weird sometimes. I don't even know how to explain it, it just doesn't operate as it should.  It's playing, I hit the footswitch to overdub, nothing happens. I stop it, long press to delete, and it starts playing again.  I think I've had it spontaneously start recording without having pressed the FS.  That's my beef.  I did see something about an update for the 1 switch looper in HXFX.  maybe it's the same.

3 hours ago, abstractocaster said:

On my Helix LT, the 1 switch looper acts very weird sometimes. I don't even know how to explain it, it just doesn't operate as it should.  It's playing, I hit the footswitch to overdub, nothing happens. I stop it, long press to delete, and it starts playing again.  I think I've had it spontaneously start recording without having pressed the FS.  That's my beef.  I did see something about an update for the 1 switch looper in HXFX.  maybe it's the same.

It could be a dirty or failing footswitch. The "spontaneously start recording" you describe in particular would have me looking at the footswitch as a possible source of the issue. You can always do the backup, global reset and/or firmware update thing if you suspect it is not hardware related.

• Like 1

I'd like to make a suggestion related to stage performance use.  You know ... for when we can go back to doing that.  

I personally like to use the Stomp/Snap mode for the foot-switch buttons but regardless of which mode is selected when I press the bank up/down buttons I always want to see both rows displaying presets.  Or at least have the option.  I feel this would make banking up/down operations much more convenient as well as faster.  If this feature is already available and I have somehow missed finding it please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction. Thx.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:02 PM, phil_m said:

Some of the delays have maximum delay times that are lower than others. The Memory Man (Elephant Man) model, for instance, has a max delay tome of 500ms. If you tap in a time that would result in the delay time being longer than that with the note value you have selected, the Helix will automatically shorten the delay time to the next longest value that’s still in time with what you tapped but is still within the max delay time limit.

Ben Adrian, the lead sound designer for the Helix, explains it here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-1701#post-23642314

There’s only a few delays that behave this way. Most have much longer max delay times.

Thanks. That makes sense, in line with the real Memory Man's limitations. 

What I'm experiencing is a little more strange, and is happening on short delay times. I may not understand how it works. Most recently I experienced the same delay time when selecting 1/8, dotted 1/8, and triplet 1/8. Then another time at 1/4, dotted 1/4, and triplet 1/4. I couldn't discern any connection between those times and the flashing of the tempo light. At other times it doesn't work that way, though. 

Sometimes I could set it where I wanted it, switch to milliseconds, then switch back to tempo, and it would work properly. Something about the switching got the message across. 

37 minutes ago, GuitarRedneck said:

What I'm experiencing is a little more strange, and is happening on short delay times. I may not understand how it works. Most recently I experienced the same delay time when selecting 1/8, dotted 1/8, and triplet 1/8. Then another time at 1/4, dotted 1/4, and triplet 1/4. I couldn't discern any connection between those times and the flashing of the tempo light. At other times it doesn't work that way, though. 

The tap tempo light corresponds to the current BPM setting, not necessarily the delay time. It will actually only correspond to the delay time when you have the delay time set to 1/4. The delay time note values reference the BPM, so no matter what note value you choose, the tap tempo flashing rate will remain the same.

4 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

I'd like to make a suggestion related to stage performance use.  You know ... for when we can go back to doing that.  

I personally like to use the Stomp/Snap mode for the foot-switch buttons but regardless of which mode is selected when I press the bank up/down buttons I always want to see both rows displaying presets.  Or at least have the option.  I feel this would make banking up/down operations much more convenient as well as faster.  If this feature is already available and I have somehow missed finding it please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction. Thx.

If you fast-click both Bank buttons simultaneously briefly you can then press either bank switch and the presets show up on both banks of switches.

I agree with your suggestion 100% though and I am fairly sure that the Helix used to work the way you describe. Not positive on that though. Either way, I agree an option to do this would be most welcome.  That would certainly be my preferred behavior.  

I might not expect to see that option available any time soon though as you will notice that the global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Up/Down Switches' setting which allows you to assign FS 1&7 to change either banks, presets, or snapshots also operates the same way with "Snapshots" selected. Might be worthy of mention that simultaneous long-pressing of FS 1&7 will actually cause the 'Up/Down Switches' setting to alternate between the banks, presets, or snapshots value.

Btw, this is the "Bugs" topic. This is more of a feature request, even if it is one that used to exist. You might want to submit this to IdeaScale and post the link for your idea in the "Helix IdeaScale Community Submissions" topic.  Hopefully people will vote it up in droves.

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you fast-click both Bank buttons simultaneously briefly you can then press either bank switch and the presets show up on both banks of switches.

I agree with your suggestion 100% though and I am fairly sure that the Helix used to work the way you describe. Not positive on that though. Either way, I agree an option to do this would be most welcome.  That would certainly be my preferred behavior.  

I might not expect to see that option available any time soon though as you will notice that the global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Up/Down Switches' setting which allows you to assign FS 1&7 to change either banks, presets, or snapshots also operates the same way with "Snapshots" selected. Might be worthy of mention that simultaneous long-pressing of FS 1&7 will actually cause the 'Up/Down Switches' setting to alternate between the banks, presets, or snapshots value.

Btw, this is the "Bugs" topic. This is more of a feature request, even if it is one that used to exist. You might want to submit this to IdeaScale and post the link for your idea in the "Helix IdeaScale Community Submissions" topic.  Hopefully people will vote it up in droves.

Thank you.  I will post it there.

I did not know what "ideascale" meant (still not really sure) so that word did not pique any interest in my mind when I was thinking about where to post.

I've been using Helix for a few years but my experience on this forum is quite limited.

7 hours ago, phil_m said:

The tap tempo light corresponds to the current BPM setting, not necessarily the delay time. It will actually only correspond to the delay time when you have the delay time set to 1/4. The delay time note values reference the BPM, so no matter what note value you choose, the tap tempo flashing rate will remain the same.

Thanks. A hard reset (switches 2 and 3 on startup) fixed the issue. Now it's working like you describe. 

So far, the other issues I've posted about don't seem to be a problem after the reset. It'll take a while to make sure, though, as I can only play through the amp when I'm not and work AND no one is in sleeping!

Helix Tuner issues!!
I would like to report a new bug found with 3.01 Helix Firmware on the hardware itself.

It seems random however, after swapping a few patches and re-tuning for Drop-D the tuner stops working properly. It seems like it Laggs behind the played note by 10 seconds.

At first, i thought it was me or my guitar/cable etc however, when i chek with my ears, all works properly.

Then my Bass plyare noted the SAME issue with his Helix-LT
"I’ve had to restart it as it was lagging 10 secs behind the note I was tunig after 2 hours use and updating/saving some patches."

I went back to my Helix, turned it off at the power and back on, and yes, the issue went away, only to come back around 20 mins later this time.

Sometimes it can be a hour or nto at all but gigging with this thing is becoming harder and harder. I will be packing another tuner tonight :-(

Just an FYI, that's now confirmed on Helix and Helix LT since the upgrade.

I am wondering if this is related to the same delay bug the Looper sometimes has that I posted earlier.

I really hope Line-6 looks at these posts :-(

I discover on my hx stomp with 3.01 that 1) snapshot is changing parameters assigned to footswitch. I.e. amp drive assigned to footswitch 1 but also affected when changing snapshots.

2) I also experienced that the block on/off status was not updated on the hx stomp screen when the block is toggled on and off, either by physical switches or in HX Edit. Issue resolved after reboot.

thanks

51 minutes ago, lauwing said:

I discover on my hx stomp with 3.01 that 1) snapshot is changing parameters assigned to footswitch. I.e. amp drive assigned to footswitch 1 but also affected when changing snapshots.

Can you give a little more detail on this? If you have parameters assigned to a footswitch, you can also change those parameters per snapshot as well.

Yes, I want those parameters assigned to footswitch not affected by snapshot (acting like a block with snapshot bypass disabled). Is that intended to have snapshot affecting parameters assigned to footswitch?

8 hours ago, phil_m said:

Can you give a little more detail on this? If you have parameters assigned to a footswitch, you can also change those parameters per snapshot as well.

6 hours ago, lauwing said:

Yes, I want those parameters assigned to footswitch not affected by snapshot (acting like a block with snapshot bypass disabled). Is that intended to have snapshot affecting parameters assigned to footswitch?

Parameters assigned to any controller will have their value recalled by snapshots. So if you change that parameter in a snapshot and have the Snapshot Edits parameter set to recall, that parameter would be at the value you set it at when you go back to that snapshot.

Editor/Firmware: 3.01 / 3.01 Helix LT

Hi,

the USB levels sent to the Helix for reamping get attenuated by 6 dB once they enter a signal chain. As a result,  a reamped track is quieter and doesn't sound the same as a reference live track. This does only happen if a signal chain is involved, with no chain involved (input > output) there's no level attenuation happening. Also this is just happening during reamping via USB. The level stays as it should using the old school method (signal + 4 dBu send from audio interface to Helix input set to instrument).

The via USB reamped track is not sample accurate regarding track placement in a DAW compared to a reference live recorded track from the Helix's USB out 1 + 2.

At a sample rate of 48 kHz, there is a negative latency of 91 samples or about 1.9 ms for the reamped track.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I've found a strange bug with the tails of the Elephant Man delay. If you insert the effect, turn tails on and switch between snapshots it works as expected. But start adding snapshot control to paramteres (of any block) and after about 10 to 25 added snapshot controllers the tails simply don't work anymore. Not even if you switch to an identical snapshot that doesn't have the delay bypassed. It just cuts out immediately. If you then switch the elephant man to another delay type the tails work, but switching back to the elephant man, it is still bugged. The only way I found to get it working again is to clear a seemingly random amount of snapshot controllers (if you clear all of them it definitely works again).

Can anyone reproduce this? I've been going crazy for the last 90 minutes trying to get my tails to work.

Helix Floor Firmware: 3.01

• 3 weeks later...