Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

10 hours ago, AndrewUtz said:

After updating to Helix Native 3.11 I keep getting error 8103 target incompatible when trying to import any IR’s. Have used these same IR’s in previous versions and no IR’s seem to work.

Did you do the Factory Reset AFTER the update, per the instructions?

Do it again anyway.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:57 AM, AndrewUtz said:

After updating to Helix Native 3.11 I keep getting error 8103 target incompatible when trying to import any IR’s. Have used these same IR’s in previous versions and no IR’s seem to work.

You might try reinstalling Native. Also, as a sanity check, if you do have an HX device I would probably try exporting the IRs from there and then attempt to import them into Native. Perhaps you are trying to import a different format into Native now, than you did last time, when they worked.

On 10/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, AndrewUtz said:

Hi,

It’s a big help for us to know what computer, operating system and DAW you are using. The only report of this error code 8103, that I could find, was someone mentioned having encountered this way back while using HX Edit v.2.71. The solution was to download and perform a re-install of the software.

Have you tried opening the same files using HX Edit?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

8 hours ago, AndrewUtz said:

it might be an issue with windows 11

Hi,

From the download page for Helix Native:

“Compatible OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10”

I know some people have reported using Windows 11 without issue, but being an early adopter is likely to make you prone to this sort of thing.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AndrewUtz said:

They have posted that Helix Native should be working on windows 11 as well as pod farm 2 and other software here: https://line6.com/support/announcement/111-windows-11-compatibility/ . this is a bug report thread and i’m reporting it.

Hi,

If you post a bug report here it will most likely only be seen by other forum users. This thread is to make others aware of any potential problems, Line 6 staff do not routinely monitor these forums.

As Line 6 are currently running a promotion for Helix Native in combination with Cubase Elements, it may be wise to raise a ticket with Customer Support and make them aware of the problem. If they don’t know about it, they cannot fix it.

I've noticed a strange occurrence in my Helix LT with software 3.11.  When I press the channel up or down footswitch I can select a new preset (this is normal).  When I press the Home button to return back to the current preset and not change a new preset the screen changes to show me the signal path but it doesn't go back home like it used too.  The system is forcing me to change to a new preset (or I can reload the current preset) but it won't cancel out of the channel change option like it used too.  Is this a known bug?

3 hours ago, SnowStormDA said:

I've noticed a strange occurrence in my Helix LT with software 3.11.  When I press the channel up or down footswitch I can select a new preset (this is normal).  When I press the Home button to return back to the current preset and not change a new preset the screen changes to show me the signal path but it doesn't go back home like it used too.  The system is forcing me to change to a new preset (or I can reload the current preset) but it won't cancel out of the channel change option like it used too.  Is this a known bug?

Don't have an LT, but on the Floor, if you decide NOT to change Presets, you hit CANCEL (FS6) to return to HOME (Signal Chain View).

When you say CHANNEL I assume that you mean BANK, and when you press UP/DOWN the Presets in that (or those, depending on your Global Settings) Banks appear, flashing.

When you say that pressing HOME (does nothing on the Floor in that scenario) shows the signal chain, but doesn't go HOME, what state are you referring to as HOME?

• Thanks 1

Thanks rd2rk.  You are correct.  It seems that the behavior has changed in regards to the HOME button.  (The Helix LT does not show you the function of FS6 when you press the BANK (up/down) switches.  I never knew that FS6 was a cancel option in that scenario.  I can now exit the bank mode by using that method.)

Hi Helix community, my first time on here ! Having an issue with the volume / expression pedal...

I occasionally use swells in songs our band plays. For these, you take the volume pedal all the way to down to heel, play a chord or notes, and then open up the volume to get a neat shimmering effect. However, recently, even with the volume pedal cut all the way down, (it even reads 0% on the display) a weak signal still comes thru ? Wondering if anyone has run into this or if anyone can help me here. 

Short version -- when my volume pedal is all the way off, my volume is not all the way off.

Thank y'all !!

1 hour ago, haydenikerd said:

Hi Helix community, my first time on here ! Having an issue with the volume / expression pedal...

I occasionally use swells in songs our band plays. For these, you take the volume pedal all the way to down to heel, play a chord or notes, and then open up the volume to get a neat shimmering effect. However, recently, even with the volume pedal cut all the way down, (it even reads 0% on the display) a weak signal still comes thru ? Wondering if anyone has run into this or if anyone can help me here. 

Short version -- when my volume pedal is all the way off, my volume is not all the way off.

Thank y'all !!

Double check first to make sure that you don't have the guitar inputting on another path. Perhaps you could take a screen shot of your signal chain? Never seen that happen.

5 hours ago, haydenikerd said:

Thank y'all !!

Attach your preset (not a screenshot) and I'll load it on mine to test..

• Upvote 1

There appears to be a paste preset bug in HX Edit, at least with my HX Stomp running version 3.11.

The desired action is to paste the same preset multiple times, such as to clear out multiple slots with a blank preset or with a template.

Copy the preset.  Select multiple slots.  Right click and paste on one of the selected slots.  HX Edit then prompts, "Are you sure you want to overwrite the highlighted presets?"  Notice it says plural "presets."  Upon clicking "Yes," only the first selected preset is overwritten, even if you right clicked on one of the other presets in the selection.

It gets worse.  After pasting the first selected preset, if you then try to right click and paste on one of the remaining selected presets/slots, HX Edit jumps to the currently active preset slot, not the one you right clicked on.  Not even one of the selected presets/slots.

I've lost a couple of presets this way.  Tried to paste one preset into multiple selected presets/slots.  Only the first one is pasted.  Then, when right clicking on one of the remaining selected slots, HX Edit jumps to the currently loaded/active preset behind the prompt.  The prompt asks if you want to overwrite the preset, and I knew what I clicked on, so I click "Yes," only to find out the preset wasn't pasted into the clicked slot, and instead overwrote the active preset.

Am I doing something wrong?

10 hours ago, Mutonium said:

There appears to be a paste preset bug in HX Edit, at least with my HX Stomp running version 3.11.

The desired action is to paste the same preset multiple times, such as to clear out multiple slots with a blank preset or with a template.

Copy the preset.  Select multiple slots.  Right click and paste on one of the selected slots.  HX Edit then prompts, "Are you sure you want to overwrite the highlighted presets?"  Notice it says plural "presets."  Upon clicking "Yes," only the first selected preset is overwritten, even if you right clicked on one of the other presets in the selection.

It gets worse.  After pasting the first selected preset, if you then try to right click and paste on one of the remaining selected presets/slots, HX Edit jumps to the currently active preset slot, not the one you right clicked on.  Not even one of the selected presets/slots.

I've lost a couple of presets this way.  Tried to paste one preset into multiple selected presets/slots.  Only the first one is pasted.  Then, when right clicking on one of the remaining selected slots, HX Edit jumps to the currently loaded/active preset behind the prompt.  The prompt asks if you want to overwrite the preset, and I knew what I clicked on, so I click "Yes," only to find out the preset wasn't pasted into the clicked slot, and instead overwrote the active preset.

Am I doing something wrong?

I don’t think there was ever a functionality that allowed you to paste the same presets into multiple slots at the same time. It’s like Excel - you can only paste into the same number of slots as you originally copied. If you want to paste the same preset into multiple slots, you just have to use the Paste function multiple times.

It might be some buggy behavior around that, but basically you’re trying to do something it wasn’t designed to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I just loaded my helix lt with the 3.11 update and not my up/down footswitches don't work. When I press on it to change the preset i can hear the preset change but the screen does not show a new preset or the corresponding number. Anyone else experiencing glitches. I want to go back to 3.10 

11 hours ago, DreadNotPop said:

I just loaded my helix lt with the 3.11 update and not my up/down footswitches don't work. When I press on it to change the preset i can hear the preset change but the screen does not show a new preset or the corresponding number. Anyone else experiencing glitches. I want to go back to 3.10 

Why go backwards? It’s probably unnecessary. Thousands of happy Helix users in the world.

When updating the firmware, you must follow the installation instructions to the letter - up to, and including, a factory reset and restore from back up. If you haven’t done this, then you will experience problems.

From the 3.11 Update Notes:

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING your Helix/HX firmware to 3.11 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

• Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT

When weird stuff happens the first thing to do is perform a factory reset - here’s the full list of options.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

• Upvote 2

On 12/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, phil_m said:

I don’t think there was ever a functionality that allowed you to paste the same presets into multiple slots at the same time. It’s like Excel - you can only paste into the same number of slots as you originally copied. If you want to paste the same preset into multiple slots, you just have to use the Paste function multiple times.

It might be some buggy behavior around that, but basically you’re trying to do something it wasn’t designed to do.

Makes sense.  Thank you for the explanation.

Although, in Excel, I often paste the entry of one cell into multiple cells by copying the original cell, highlighting multiple cells, and then pasting it, which is why I tried a similar operation in HX Edit.  The fact that HX Edit prompted with a warning about overwriting the plural "presets" implied it was doing the same thing. 

The buggy operation is after trying that operation, when you click to paste on one of the remaining slots that were not written, but are still shown as highlighted, it warns you about overwriting the highlighted slot, but jumps to the active slot in the background.  If you do not notice that, you lose the active preset and there is no undo to recover it.

I know HX Edit is not trying to be Excel and will work the available options for copying presets.

• 1 month later...

I found this bug for Helix Rack, for firmware versions 3.10, 3.11 and 3.15.
The 3.01 version works well, it seems like this error was introduced on 3.10.

Bug description:
If I change the effect type of some block (example: from Amp+Cab to Reverb)
When I change the type in the first column and then I click some of the options on the second column,

the first column change again to the previous type.

That's why you can see something like this, on where the first column has not relation with the others:
- First column: Amp+Cab
- Second column: Mono/Stereo/Legacy
- Third column: All the reverb effects (Dynamic Hall, Hot Springs...)

Video:

I'm using a Helix rack, just updated to 3.15 firmware (and made a factory reset too).

I'm using a midi controller and regularly use MIDI CC51, CC52, CC53, or CC54 messages to emulate footswitch operation. Unfortunately Helix Rack does not respond as expected. 

I don't know what version made this bug, but it guess it was present since 3.0. That's sure this bug was present in the preceding 3.11

In HX Edit I linked Footswitch 3-7 to turn on/off individual effects. So on the bypass/controller assign panel I made four setup for the individual blocks, setting parameter to Bypass, and Source the Footswitch 3-7. Now, when I send these CCs to Helix Rack sometimes it doesn't respond, sometimes it makes a preset change instead of turning on/off the individual effect blocks. Earlier this worked great and without problems.

I really would like to use these footswitch CCs, can you please to help to resolve this issue?

just updated to 3.15 and now my external footswitches FS7/FS8 (which were assigned to scroll up and down through my 4 snapshots) went all schizo on me.

it now skips randomly between the 4 snapshots rather than cycling up or down sequentially.

for example if i'm on snapshot 1 and i press the "up" footswitch once it won't go to 2, it'll go to 3 or maybe 4 etc.

it's almost as if it registers a single press as a double press.

anyone know what's going on?

• Upvote 2

In 3.15, HX Edit appears to be saving several presets by itself, when you change the Bypass Behavior in a different preset. 

Pre-req:

Set Snapshot Edit: Discard.  Expectation is that if you re-enter the preset/snapshot, any changes that you made will be discarded. 

Bug:

1. in HX Edit, go to a block of any preset, e.g. wah-wah

2. Go to Bypass/Controller Assign and locate the "Bypass" parameter.

3. Change the newly-added "Behavior" parameter to "Heel Down" or "Toe Down". 

4. Move the expression pedal up/down a few times

Go to a different preset, then come back. 

1. you will see the change you made has been saved for you. 

2. you will see the same change appears to be applied to other presets as well.  It appears that identical or nearly-identical presets are updated all at the same time. 

--

Expectation: No changes should be auto-saved, if you have Snapshot Edit disabled.  This bug only applies to Bypass Assignment Behavior change.  Other changes are discarded as they should be. 

2077801960_ScreenShot2022-02-11at8_46_42PM.thumb.png.01797468d17ec0891eef1e1c7b431df6.png

10 hours ago, theElevators said:

Change the newly-added "Behavior" parameter to "Heel Down" or "Toe Down"

Hi,

Is what you are experiencing something possibly related to this.

From the release notes

Bypass Assign > EXP Pedal 1/2 now has a new Behavior parameter to control how bypassing is handled. 

The default value "Toggle" behaves as this feature always has - bringing the pedal past threshold will toggle the block's bypass state from what it is currently (i.e. enable if currently bypassed and vice versa). "Toe Down" and "Heel Down" always bypass the block at the designated position, regardless of the block's starting state. So with "Heel Down" selected, the block will always enable when you cross the Position threshold and bypass when you return below it

47 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Is what you are experiencing something possibly related to this.

From the release notes

Bypass Assign > EXP Pedal 1/2 now has a new Behavior parameter to control how bypassing is handled. 

The default value "Toggle" behaves as this feature always has - bringing the pedal past threshold will toggle the block's bypass state from what it is currently (i.e. enable if currently bypassed and vice versa). "Toe Down" and "Heel Down" always bypass the block at the designated position, regardless of the block's starting state. So with "Heel Down" selected, the block will always enable when you cross the Position threshold and bypass when you return below it

Yes, this new parameter is not working correctly.  HX Edit automatically saves changes to it in unrelated presets. 

I started experimenting with different values of the bypass behavior, and observed that my preset and other presets got saved without me doing anything. 

After updating to 3.15, I noticed that Rochester Comp block seems to have a quite big shift in phase.
Some of my presets that use that block in a parallel path sounded significantly different (loss of low end) after the update. I could trace it down to the Rochester comp block.

I could reproduce the issue with Helix native as well. The screenshots show an analyzer after Helix Native, fed with white noise. You can see the phase cancelations if the model is used in a parallel path.
Is this the "correct" behavior of the model? I am pretty sure that it sounded differently before the update to 3.15

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-12 um 15.55.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-12 um 15.55.55.png

2 hours ago, theElevators said:

Yes, this new parameter is not working correctly.  HX Edit automatically saves changes to it in unrelated presets.

That's very odd. I haven't looked at the "Behaviours" option yet, may be time to check it out. 

Is it something in your Global Setting - Per Snapshot > Per Preset > Global ?

The reason I ask is, while typing this, I just tried on the Helix floor (not HX Edit) and is only worked on that one specific preset, none of the others. Does It happen whatever Wah Model you're using or just one model?

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

That's very odd. I haven't looked at the "Behaviours" option yet, may be time to check it out. 

Is it something in your Global Setting - Per Snapshot > Per Preset > Global ?

The reason I ask is, while typing this, I just tried on the Helix floor (not HX Edit) and is only worked on that one specific preset, none of the others. Does It happen whatever Wah Model you're using or just one model?

I'm using Weeper wah.  So I briefly tried it on one such preset.  I have an exact copy of the preset, and whatever I did to the first preset, the second one also got the "toe down" setting or whatever.  Any other setting change like clearing a block does not get auto-saved, and does not propagate to other presets.

So since I don't know what the heck is going on, I'm not going to be using this setting for the time being.  I restored from my backup and everything is back to normal.  Don't want to have a fun adventure with wah not turning off / turning on when not needed on stage.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, nkrcompany said:

I'm using a Helix rack, just updated to 3.15 firmware (and made a factory reset too).

I'm using a midi controller and regularly use MIDI CC51, CC52, CC53, or CC54 messages to emulate footswitch operation. Unfortunately Helix Rack does not respond as expected. 

I don't know what version made this bug, but it guess it was present since 3.0. That's sure this bug was present in the preceding 3.11

In HX Edit I linked Footswitch 3-7 to turn on/off individual effects. So on the bypass/controller assign panel I made four setup for the individual blocks, setting parameter to Bypass, and Source the Footswitch 3-7. Now, when I send these CCs to Helix Rack sometimes it doesn't respond, sometimes it makes a preset change instead of turning on/off the individual effect blocks. Earlier this worked great and without problems.

I really would like to use these footswitch CCs, can you please to help to resolve this issue?

I'm experiencing the same behavior on Helix Floor. Sending MIDI CC51, CC52 though CC58 will switch presets, which is obviously wrong according to manual. But what I find interesting it does that only when in preset mode (pressing FS6) when in stomp mode sending CC51,CC52..etc work as expected (eg. switching individual effects on/off). I guess I could leave Helix in Stomp mode all the time (preset changing works fine in stomp mode). One could argue that it kinda emulates what happens when you physically step on FS3,FS4 and Preset Mode is active, but the manual clearly states that CC49 to CC58 "Emulates Stomp footswitch mode's FS1->FS11"

• Like 1

All right. So, yeah, I went back downgrading the FW,  it seems they "broke" CC51, CC52 .. etc behavior in 3.10. But looking at 3.10 release info I found this:

Bank/Preset/Snapshot Up and Down messages how properly work via incoming FS1/FS7 emulation MIDI messages 

and

New MIDI message (Helix Floor/Rack/LT/HX Stomp XL): CC71 engages the MODE switch 

So I guess the behavior is intentional. I suspect Board/Floor/LT are in the same boat.

I wish they update the manual manual more often. Even on version F there is no mention of CC71, let alone the new 3.15 stuff CC77-81.

• Thanks 1

OK - So  I have gone through the update process a couple of times and have reset things from my backup and I'm having one issue in particular.

I only have 2 presets where, within snapshots, some snapshots are using Variax settings, and others are using the built in pickups. For instance:

Snapshot 1 uses the spank setting #2, where snapshot #3 uses Variax mags, wherever the switch may be positioned. 

What I'm finding is that when I switch to snapshot #3 now, it maintains the spank setting. It used to turn off the Variax and just go to whatever the mags were currently positioned to. The Variax no longer turns off when I switch to a snapshot where it used to do that. 

Anyone else seeing this?

50 minutes ago, scotterp said:

OK - So  I have gone through the update process a couple of times and have reset things from my backup and I'm having one issue in particular.

I only have 2 presets where, within snapshots, some snapshots are using Variax settings, and others are using the built in pickups. For instance:

Snapshot 1 uses the spank setting #2, where snapshot #3 uses Variax mags, wherever the switch may be positioned. 

What I'm finding is that when I switch to snapshot #3 now, it maintains the spank setting. It used to turn off the Variax and just go to whatever the mags were currently positioned to. The Variax no longer turns off when I switch to a snapshot where it used to do that. 

Anyone else seeing this?

Go over to the second page of parameters on the Input block of any preset using a Variax input block and make sure 'Variax Settings'="Per Preset". Once you set it in one preset it will apply to all, that is actually a global setting located in a preset. Also, if, as @datacommando indicated, if the problem is in your global presets, make sure you did the factory reset and restore backup step recommended by Line6. If you use the backup that was made by the update process, it will restore all your global settings to their state prior to the update(as they should be).

Variax settings is per preset. Factory reset was done (twice to be sure) and reset from backup each time. 

This seems to work fine for the initial snapshot when coming into a preset. But if there is a " secondary" snapshot where the Variax should be "turned off" and let the mags take over, this is where I'm having an issue. The Variax is not turned off. 

I can always change the snapshots to use another Variax setting, not a big deal, but the behavior does seem to be different than previous releases. 

This is the only issue I have found. 

21 hours ago, scotterp said:

Variax settings is per preset. Factory reset was done (twice to be sure) and reset from backup each time. 

This seems to work fine for the initial snapshot when coming into a preset. But if there is a " secondary" snapshot where the Variax should be "turned off" and let the mags take over, this is where I'm having an issue. The Variax is not turned off. 

I can always change the snapshots to use another Variax setting, not a big deal, but the behavior does seem to be different than previous releases. 

This is the only issue I have found. 

As far as I know you can't assign the Input block type to a snapshot. Are you using one of the snapshot strategies described in the two links below to switch between Variax and mag pups? Any chance you changed a setting on the Variax rather than the Helix?  Maybe one of the resident Variax gurus here can chime in.

How do I switch off the Variax model when changing to a different preset on Helix - Helix - Line 6 Community

I think I will need to go back to 3.11 and capture exactly how it worked there, then come back to 3.15 and compare. Just to make sure I have my head straight. 

IIRC (and I'm not sure I do 100%) I could save a snapshot with the Variax enabled with a specific Variax setting. I could then change to another snapshot, disengage the Variax, save the preset and the disengagement of the Variax was saved for that snapshot only. Toggling between the two snapshots would engage/disengage the Variax. 

Now, if I save the preset with the Variax engaged, it saves that state for all of the snapshots. Same if I disengage it. It no longer saves the state of the Variax per snapshot. 

I hope this explains it?

It's been a while since I set these up and it just seemed to work that way.