Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

The selection of mags or model is made  in the Input block. You select either Variax Magnetics or Variax (modeling). These are mutually exclusive. selections at the physical input level and are not  parameters in the sense that they can be assigned to the Snapshot controller.

I have presets that allow me to switch between mags and models using an expression pedal. I use a dual-path preset with Input 1 = Variax Magnetics and Input 2 = Variax. I include a Vol or Gain block in each path and assign them to the same pedal, e.g. EXP-1. I then assign the Min/Max values for each so that I can mute one path or the other, or blend both.

There are other ways such as using a switch to toggle the pedal values to 0 and 100, oppositely, at each press of the switch. These parameter changes can be  assigned to Snapshots if you wish. But you can't use Snapshots to change a Variax Magnetics Input setting to a Variax model.

I have done the dual path as well and toggling output volumes for different snapshots. 

I have a gig this Friday and don't want to mess around too much until that is done with. Then I will reinstall 3.11 and see exactly what it did before. I know that it is working differently now than it did before. I just want to prove that I'm not going crazy and misremembering something. :)

Thanks guys!

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, lucilanga said:

All right. So, yeah, I went back downgrading the FW,  it seems they "broke" CC51, CC52 .. etc behavior in 3.10. But looking at 3.10 release info I found this:

Bank/Preset/Snapshot Up and Down messages how properly work via incoming FS1/FS7 emulation MIDI messages 

and

New MIDI message (Helix Floor/Rack/LT/HX Stomp XL): CC71 engages the MODE switch 

So I guess the behavior is intentional. I suspect Board/Floor/LT are in the same boat.

I wish they update the manual manual more often. Even on version F there is no mention of CC71, let alone the new 3.15 stuff CC77-81.

Thanks, I'll check CC71 operation with my Helix Rack. Yeah, it would be great to get updated midi manual with version updates.

Below is the list of the new CCs I could find so far:

CC71    - mode switch
CC72 value 64-127 = next preset, value 0-63 = previous preset
CC73 toggles between Play and Edit views
CC74    - save preset
CC75    - knob1
CC76    - knob2
CC77    - knob3
CC78    - knob4
CC79    - knob5
CC80    - knob6
CC81    - buttons "< page" - "page >"

I wasn't able to find what CC70 does. I do not think it is mentioned anywhere. Perhaps somebody here knows?

I even threw random values using CC70 but I wasn't able to tell if it does do anything.

I'm sure it must be used for something, I doubt they let one CC empty before user CCs

On 2/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, lucilanga said:

All right. So, yeah, I went back downgrading the FW,  it seems they "broke" CC51, CC52 .. etc behavior in 3.10. But looking at 3.10 release info I found this:

Bank/Preset/Snapshot Up and Down messages how properly work via incoming FS1/FS7 emulation MIDI messages 

and

New MIDI message (Helix Floor/Rack/LT/HX Stomp XL): CC71 engages the MODE switch 

So I guess the behavior is intentional. I suspect Board/Floor/LT are in the same boat.

I wish they update the manual manual more often. Even on version F there is no mention of CC71, let alone the new 3.15 stuff CC77-81.

I just tried using CC71 with my Helix Rack. I would like to report that my problem has been solved.

After sending a CC71 with value 0, I can send CC49-58 to control footswitches bypass state.

However CC71 values are completely missing from Helix manual, so here it is (from HX Stomp manual):

CC71
Values: 0-5
Footswitch Mode (0=Stomp, 1=Scroll, 2=Preset, 3=Snapshot, 4=Next footswitch mode, 5=Previous footswitch mode)

• Thanks 1

3.15 is really getting on my **** already. I'm getting "Timeout waiting for a response from device" messages pretty regularly from HX Edit - and once that happens, the Helix itself will freeze in as well, just a reboot will help. I can often only "hard kill" HX Edit as well, CMD+Q in 50% of all cases doesn't do anything. Sometimes rebooting just the Helix fixes this, sometimes I need to restart my computer.

The Timeout message has got to be kind of a joke, too - because even when the message is displayed, the Helix continues to work as an audio interface.

Getting this around 2-3 times a day, depending on how long I'm using my stuff. Highly annoying.

1663085035_HXEdit.jpg.382c3c22d5a5b2247346084dffd0da3c.jpg

I've had this issue as well almost immediately after downloading the new update.  Sometimes Hx edit will work but nothing can be operated on the unit itself.  Everything looks normal on the unit but no sound and can't press any buttons.  The only thing that works is the blinking tap tempo light indicator.  

Hardware: HX Stomp
Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.15

Bug:  CC71 (engages the MODE switch) does not work after the update to 3.15

Have tried sending the CC command using multiple midi controllers. All the other commands are working fine, but CC71 does not do anything.

The new "change snapshot" command seems to have a problem. 

I have a setlist with 10 songs programmed with the new "change snapshot" command. This works alright.

Now, I exported that setlist and imported it onto another setlist (I want to have a clone for tweaking stuff while having the original intact), and on that new imported setlist the "change snapshot" command doesn't work 100%. When I press a FS to change to another snapshot, it does change (I can see it in the top right corner) but it doesn't update the screen with what the footswitches are supposed to do.

Has anyone experienced this?

On 2/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, Phillip1 said:

just updated to 3.15 and now my external footswitches FS7/FS8 (which were assigned to scroll up and down through my 4 snapshots) went all schizo on me.

it now skips randomly between the 4 snapshots rather than cycling up or down sequentially.

for example if i'm on snapshot 1 and i press the "up" footswitch once it won't go to 2, it'll go to 3 or maybe 4 etc.

it's almost as if it registers a single press as a double press.

anyone know what's going on?

I,ve got exactly the same problem and had to downgrade back to 3.11. Any known solution to fix this?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, molul said:

I have a setlist with 10 songs programmed with the new "change snapshot" command. This works alright.

Now, I exported that setlist and imported it onto another setlist (I want to have a clone for tweaking stuff while having the original intact), and on that new imported setlist the "change snapshot" command doesn't work 100%. When I press a FS to change to another snapshot, it does change (I can see it in the top right corner) but it doesn't update the screen with what the footswitches are supposed to do.

Don't know if it still applies but in previous versions of the firmware doing something like copy/paste or I suppose import of an entire setlist would trigger a preset rebuild upon the next restart of the device. Have you tried restarting the device after importing the setlist? Also, you may also have already done this, but the usual advice regarding the update instructions to do a factory reset and restore after update also applies. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Don't know if it still applies but in previous versions of the firmware doing something like copy/paste or I suppose import of an entire setlist would trigger a preset rebuild upon the next restart of the device. Have you tried restarting the device after importing the setlist? Also, you may also have already done this, but the usual advice regarding the update instructions to do a factory reset and restore after update also applies. 

Thanks. Yes, I did the backup->update->factory reset->restore->turn off and on again to rebuild the 1024 presets.

Then I programmed all those "change snapshot" commands, exported the setlist, imported on another setlist, and it didn't work fine there (it was still working fine in the original one).

A strange thing I noticed is that after importing the setlist, when I turned the Helix LT off and on again, the rebuild presets process occurred again. Not sure if it's something normal after importing setlists, as I hadn't done it yet.

5 hours ago, molul said:

Thanks. Yes, I did the backup->update->factory reset->restore->turn off and on again to rebuild the 1024 presets.

Then I programmed all those "change snapshot" commands, exported the setlist, imported on another setlist, and it didn't work fine there (it was still working fine in the original one).

A strange thing I noticed is that after importing the setlist, when I turned the Helix LT off and on again, the rebuild presets process occurred again. Not sure if it's something normal after importing setlists, as I hadn't done it yet.

Yep, that rebuild upon restart after you copied/imported the setlist was exactly what I was referring to. As I mentioned this has been something we have observed in past firmware versions. Have you noticed any change (hopefully positive) in the snapshot behavior since you restarted, and the presets rebuilt?

In the past, due to this rebuild process (on presets that have been newly copied or imported), the prevailing wisdom has been that it is not a bad idea or perhaps a best practice to do a restart before beginning to edit or play with the copied presets, PITA though it may be. This may be more pertinent with more complex or sophisticated preset usage. Have never seen any confirmation as to this from Line 6, so perhaps it is unnecessary, but it just seems generally like a good idea to allow this secondary rebuild process to complete via a restart before forging ahead. This is outside and apart from the standard rebuild that occurs after a backup restore, for example after a firmware update. Btw, you will also I believe always see this one-time additional rebuild (upon restart) if you import a preset created with a prior firmware version from, for example, CustomTone, or a purchased preset pack.

The efficacy of these recommendations, hinges to some extent on you not having stumbled across a legitimate bug in the latest firmware.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:42 AM, jamkid said:

Hardware: HX Stomp
Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.15

Bug:  CC71 (engages the MODE switch) does not work after the update to 3.15

Have tried sending the CC command using multiple midi controllers. All the other commands are working fine, but CC71 does not do anything.

CC71 works fine in 3.15. Are you remembering to send a Value of 0-5 to select the specific mode?

ex: CC#71 Value 3 = Snapshot mode

Footswitch Mode (0=Stomp, 1=Scroll, 2=Preset,
3=Snapshot, 4=Next footswitch mode, 5=Previous
footswitch mode)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, molul said:

Hi,

This is normal - consider that your HX device is essentially a computer. If you add presets that differ from the ones installed, the “Rebuild” routine will run to ensure that all your presets are fully compatible with the current firmware. The rebuild will occur if it is either a single, or many preset slots that are modified, so sometime the process is quicker than others. Regard it as the Helix is “housekeeping” and keeping everything tidy.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:02 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Is what you are experiencing something possibly related to this.

From the release notes

Bypass Assign > EXP Pedal 1/2 now has a new Behavior parameter to control how bypassing is handled. 

The default value "Toggle" behaves as this feature always has - bringing the pedal past threshold will toggle the block's bypass state from what it is currently (i.e. enable if currently bypassed and vice versa). "Toe Down" and "Heel Down" always bypass the block at the designated position, regardless of the block's starting state. So with "Heel Down" selected, the block will always enable when you cross the Position threshold and bypass when you return below it

I made a video for the support guy.  It's here, in case you want to see the bug:

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, molul said:

Fixed. The problem was that I cloned the setlist on another computer with HX edit 3.11 and not 3.15. I updated and exported/imported, and all went fine.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, theElevators said:

In 3.15, HX Edit appears to be saving several presets by itself, when you change the Bypass Behavior in a different preset. 

Pre-req:

Set Snapshot Edit: Discard.  Expectation is that if you re-enter the preset/snapshot, any changes that you made will be discarded. 

Bug:

1. in HX Edit, go to a block of any preset, e.g. wah-wah

2. Go to Bypass/Controller Assign and locate the "Bypass" parameter.

3. Change the newly-added "Behavior" parameter to "Heel Down" or "Toe Down". 

4. Move the expression pedal up/down a few times

Go to a different preset, then come back. 

1. you will see the change you made has been saved for you. 

2. you will see the same change appears to be applied to other presets as well.  It appears that identical or nearly-identical presets are updated all at the same time. 

--

Expectation: No changes should be auto-saved, if you have Snapshot Edit disabled.  This bug only applies to Bypass Assignment Behavior change.  Other changes are discarded as they should be. 

Interestingly enough, I am experiencing essentially the opposite behavior (more evidence this is a bug): After saving a change to the new Behavior parameter, upon leaving and returning to the preset, the "saved" change is reverted / was apparently not saved.

This occurs for me on all presets with an EXP bypass.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GuitarGuy19 said:

Interestingly enough, I am experiencing essentially the opposite behavior (more evidence this is a bug): After saving a change to the new Behavior parameter, upon leaving and returning to the preset, the "saved" change is reverted / was apparently not saved.

Probably another preset is affecting this behavior.  This is what happens when people test things on only one preset :)  Gotta expand the scope of testing. 

Also, maybe the EXP 2 vs EXP 1 makes a difference as well.  Either way, this is a scary bug. 

I am always cautious when I upgrade the Helix.  I have my main gigging Helix on the previous version still and will not upgrade it until this is sorted out.  Last thing I need is to have weird glitches on stage in front of a lot of people.  Ugh. 

On 2/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, GuitarGuy19 said:

Hmm, thanks for posting, if you have a moment, more details please. Will help in figuring out why different users seem to be getting different results:

Which HX Device do you own?

Are you using the attached Wah pedal or an external one?

Did you do a factory reset and restore after your upgrade to 3.15?

Which EXP(1, 2, 3?) are you using for Wah?

What is your global setting (Global, Per Snapshot, or Per Preset) for 'EXP Pedals' --> 'EXP * Pedal Position'?

What is your global setting (Discard or Recall) for 'Preferences' ---> 'Snapshot Edits'? Is the Behavior setting persisting between snapshots? Between presets?

What is the 'Behavior' setting (Toggle, Heel Down, or Toe Down) that is not persistent when returning to the preset? Or is it any/all of them that behave this way?

Do you click the expression pedal toe switch to use the Wah, or is the preset/snapshot already on the EXP(1,2, or 3) setting corresponding to the Wah? 

Hit my first show-stopper level 3.15 issue today (Helix Floor):

I like to run Stomp/Snap mode, with four snapshots on the bottom row and four stomps on the top (for my live style, it just works best for me). However, on some presets, I end up using more than 4 snapshots. Rather than manually having to remember which presets to hit bank up+down to switch to 8-snap display, I’ve taken to assigning snapshots to some of the top row stomp switches via command center. This worked great through 3.11, but at least one of those presets went berserk today on 3.15. 
snapshot1 looks & behaves totally normal (first image), but when I hit snaps 2-4, the upper row flips to SNAPSHOT^ on all buttons. 

To fix this, I had to enable “recall” for snapshot edits, and walk through every snap in the patch, manually fixing the command center setting, then re-save. Basically, I’m saying something broke my preset in the 3.15 preset rebuild & only retained the snapshot setting metadata for the first snap in these kind of patches. The rest knew there was a cmd center event, and knew it was a snapshot event, but overwrote it with “1” (Next).

Yes, I did a full factory reset & restore from backup when upgrading, including letting it rebuild all of my presets after the restore. 

EDIT: even stranger, it only appears to have affected this one preset. All of my others (which only have one cmdCenter snap saved as a stomp vs the 4 here) are fine 

EDIT #2: You know what, I apologize. I just went back and decoded/parsed all of my setlist backups for the past year. This issue has been in my patch since at least last August, which tells me something different, but equally interesting: this must've been a bug in previous firmware, where snapshots didn't honor different parameters on CommandCenter settings from one snap to the next that they fixed in 3.15. I don't see anything specifically tied to it in the release notes, but perhaps it was related to some of the other CommandCenter bug fixes. So, yeah. The firmware is actually doing what it's supposed to now. *shrug*

FB36B99D-5C6A-4A15-B5DD-4F989A76A328.jpeg

BA6F1E03-495C-4B48-92D5-EC3C7332F5F2.jpeg

Edited by shmaque
Added new info; not a bug but rather a bug-fix.

@HonestOpinion Thanks for the quick reply! For context, I use the EXP1 or EXP2 position bypass for a different delay block (either Ducked Delay, Ping Pong, Transistor Tape, or Vintage Digital) on various presets—not Wah. On any preset with a Wah block, the Wah is set to EXP Pedal Toe bypass. Responses are inline.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Which HX Device do you own? Helix Floor

Are you using the attached Wah pedal or an external one? I use an external pedal for EXP3, but that is not used in any of the aforementioned settings (EXP3 is only used to control a Volume block on every preset).

Did you do a factory reset and restore after your upgrade to 3.15? Yes, factory reset and restore after upgrading, including one round of "Rebuilding presets..."

Which EXP(1, 2, 3?) are you using for Wah? I use EXP1 for Wah blocks, but the issue occurs on presets w/EXP1 or EXP2 w/position bypass with or without a Wah block. I have also tried changing the Wah block position control to EXP2 (again, I am using position bypass for Delay blocks, not Wah), but the issue persists.

What is your global setting (Global, Per Snapshot, or Per Preset) for 'EXP Pedals' --> 'EXP * Pedal Position'? Per Snapshot (for EXP1, EXP2, and EXP3)

What is your global setting (Discard or Recall) for 'Preferences' ---> 'Snapshot Edits'? Is the Behavior setting persisting between snapshots? Between presets? Discard. The Behavior setting persists between snapshots. After switching to a different preset & back, the Behavior setting is lost.

What is the 'Behavior' setting (Toggle, Heel Down, or Toe Down) that is not persistent when returning to the preset? Or is it any/all of them that behave this way? Since Toggle is the default setting, Heel Down and Toe Down do not persist when returning to the preset. This occurs whether I save w/Behavior as Heel Down or Toe Down.

Do you click the expression pedal toe switch to use the Wah, or is the preset/snapshot already on the EXP(1,2, or 3) setting corresponding to the Wah? Yes, for problematic presets in which I use position bypass (for a Delay block) with a Wah, the Wah is set to EXP Pedal Toe bypass. However, I have tried switching the Wah block position control between EXP1/2 and removing the Wah block when it exists, and the issue persists.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GuitarGuy19 said:

@HonestOpinion Thanks for the quick reply! For context, I use the EXP1 or EXP2 position bypass for a different delay block (either Ducked Delay, Ping Pong, Transistor Tape, or Vintage Digital) on various presets—not Wah. On any preset with a Wah block, the Wah is set to EXP Pedal Toe bypass. Responses are inline.

Thanks for the incredibly detailed reply! As, or if, more of these posts pop up, maybe we can start to see a pattern as to why different users seem to be getting different results. As with so many other features or bugs where there are variances between the reported behavior, it often it seems to be related to users having different settings, or sometimes amounts to no more than differences in the way people describe what they are observing, or actual differences or errors between various testers in their testing methodology that go unnoticed. 

I tested my Helix with all of the global settings set to be identical with yours, even set up the volume block on EXP 3 with an external expression pedal per your settings. I was unable to replicate your results. The 'Behavior' setting always stays persistent for me, no save required. One thing I noticed during my test, across snasphots or presets, the 'Behavior' setting stays persistent per EXP (1, 2, or 3 on the Helix), but each EXP can be set differently (Toggle, Heel Down, or Toe Down). If you have bypass/Wait set up for example on both EXP 1 and EXP 3, then the 'Behavior can be set to 'Toggle' on EXP 1 and 'Toe Down' on EXP 3, but it will be the same for that EXP in every preset/snapshot. So, what I am finding is that the 'Behavior' value stays persistent for the EXP number(1, 2, or 3) that it is set on, with only one 'Behavior' option available at any given time on that EXP. The set value is the same in every preset/snapshot, however, it need not be identical across different EXPs.

The reason I mention this, besides it being another relevant detail of how the 'Behavior' parameter works currently, is that it can skew the results of your testing if you don't keep a close eye on which EXP the block you are examining is assigned to. Is it possible that you were looking across EXPs during your testing?  I noticed when I did this in error a couple of times when running the tests (with your described setup) it would appear as if the 'Behavior' was flipping back to 'Toggle' when actually it wasn't. I was in fact comparing the 'Behavior' on two different EXPs when I switched presets/snapshots, rather than comparing the values on the same EXP. 

Anyway, the more I test this, as I have mentioned previously, the more I notice how many individual scenarios need to be tested - different EXPs, every combination of pertinent global settings combined with all the new 'Behavior' options, legacy and new presets, HX Edit preset/snapshot switching as well as manual switching on the device, ensuring that HX Edit reflects the same value as the device, and other stuff I haven't thought of yet. To be thorough, all of this needs to be tested across setlists, banks, presets, and snapshots. Makes my head spin. This really is one of those features that is complicated enough to be best vetted, systematically with a test harness by Line 6 that can run through a ton of possible variations and check to ensure proper and repeatable results.

I imagine Line 6 has been, and continues to test this in-house, as well as looking at the reports of user experiences with it in the wild. If not, then I hope they will. The 'Behavior' option would benefit from further clarification/documentation, and perhaps a fix if it is not functioning as intended.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I imagine Line 6 has been, and continues to test this in-house, as well as looking at the reports of user experiences with it in the wild. If not, then I hope they will. The 'Behavior' option would benefit from further clarification/documentation, and perhaps a fix if it is not functioning as intended.

Thank you for the additional details and attempting to reproduce on your device. I checked again, and my experience is: After saving the Behavior setting (as Heel Down or Toe Down) for one block on a preset, upon leaving the preset and returning, the Behavior setting reverts to Toggle.

For additional troubleshooting, I exported a few presets and opened the corresponding .hlx files in a text editor. The particular values of the corresponding '@behavior' param for a given block may help reveal the bug to Line 6:

• After saving as Toggle and exporting the .hlx, '@behavior' is 0
  • After saving as Heel Down and exporting the .hlx, '@behavior' is 1
  • After saving as Toe Down and exporting the .hlx, '@behavior' is 2
  • After leaving the preset, returning, and exporting the .hlx, '@behavior' is occasionally true
    • This occurred several times (but not every time) upon re-exporting a previously saved preset. Regardless of whether '@behavior' reverted to 0 or was true, in HX Edit and directly on my Helix, the corresponding EXP Behavior setting is Toggle.
  • Upvote 2

On 2/21/2022 at 4:49 PM, rd2rk said:

CC71 works fine in 3.15. Are you remembering to send a Value of 0-5 to select the specific mode?

ex: CC#71 Value 3 = Snapshot mode

Footswitch Mode (0=Stomp, 1=Scroll, 2=Preset,
3=Snapshot, 4=Next footswitch mode, 5=Previous
footswitch mode)

Sorry, I meant CC# 73, to toggle between Play and Edit screen. 

and yes, CC#71 is working for my HX stomp.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, GuitarGuy19 said:

I am having the same type of issue (Helix LT)  I changed the wah (exp1) bypass on a bunch of presets (most of them built from the same template) from bypassing with the toe switch to bypass the wah with 99% position, 1000 Msec, and Toe Down behavior. I save each of the presets with the change. Upon opening any preset that I haven't made the bypass change from the toe switch yet, going back to the any of presets that I've made the above change to, the behavior is reset from Toe Down to Toggle.  This happens when I open unmodified presets regardless of whether I modify or save the preset .  But if I then change the behavior on just one of the modified bypass presets back to Toe Down, even without saving, most of the presets I've modified change back to Toe Down.  But some stay on Toggle. I can't figure out what causes some to change back to Toe Down, and why some stay on toggle. 

I did a backup/reset/restore, with the EXP1 parameters as above, behavior toe down. After restore, all of the presets had the behavior reset to Toe Up (not toggle, and not toe down as they'd been saved)).  Changing them back to toe down, save, and go to another preset, and SOMETIMES it is reset. But not always. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it. All I can say for sure it that the bypass behavior setting is not stable.

If I reset the exp bypass as above, and open a preset that doesn't have a wah or block that uses EXP1, there is no change to the behavior parameter. But if I create a preset with just one block of any type, and assign EXP 1 with the above parameters,  the behavior parameter will change in multiple presets as I change it, regardless of saving.

If there is a test someone at Line 6 wants me to do, I'm game.  

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, jamkid said:

When was this feature added? I was just looking at the 3.15 release notes and didn't see it?

Never mind, I found it. Testing.

20 hours ago, jamkid said:

and yes, CC#71 is working for my HX stomp.

I was wondering what you meant by "engages the Mode Switch".

You're talking about the HXSXL, right, NOT the HXS?

The HXS does not HAVE a Mode switch.

Maybe that's why it's not working?

Just this evening I too started to get this message popping up. It is repeatable by selecting the same preset. A preset I have multiple copies of and works without the issue when they are selected. It happens if I select the present through HX Edit or if I choose it directly on the Helix LT. Note that I have installed and used the new 3.15 the day it came out and only now is this starting to happen. (Kicking myself, I usually wait and let others break new software or have it break them.)

I see one person on here mentioning this issue, anyone else out there? Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.36.40 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Is there somewhere a definition of what is included in a 'Backup File'?

I followed the update to 3.15 procedure to the letter. Including backup/update/reboot/Factory reset/rebuild/power cycle/ restore from backup.

I just had a gig die an utter and horrible death because none of my automation worked, levels were wonky, on and on.

Yeah, my bad for not testing before the heat of battle.

Let's cling to at least one well-defined problem in the above process: Base MIDI Channel is different from before the recommended update process to after the recommended update process. Why?

And... Is there any hope to get back to the state of the unit before the update?

10 hours ago, jbreher said:

Is there somewhere a definition of what is included in a 'Backup File'?

Not really - a backup file is absolutely everything that is in your hardware at the time the  backup is made.

And... Is there any hope to get back to the state of the unit before the update?

Yes, run 'Restore From Backup' available from under the File drop down Menu. Then you choose which back up file to restore from - it usually has the Date and Time stamp of the last backup you made. When you choose your backup file you can then select which items you would like to restore to your hardware. Example, Global Settings, Impulse Responses, Favourites, User Model Defaults and your Preset setlists.

I just had a gig die an utter and horrible death because none of my automation worked, levels were wonky, on and on.

This is usually an Indication that the Globals have not being restored properly.

Yeah, my bad for not testing before the heat of battle.

First rule of Firmware updates is - never update to a new version prior to a gig, or recording session.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 6:02 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Is what you are experiencing something possibly related to this.

From the release notes

Bypass Assign > EXP Pedal 1/2 now has a new Behavior parameter to control how bypassing is handled. 

The default value "Toggle" behaves as this feature always has - bringing the pedal past threshold will toggle the block's bypass state from what it is currently (i.e. enable if currently bypassed and vice versa). "Toe Down" and "Heel Down" always bypass the block at the designated position, regardless of the block's starting state. So with "Heel Down" selected, the block will always enable when you cross the Position threshold and bypass when you return below it

This may explain why my Mission Pedal on my Rack Floor board doesn't save correctly anymore. And the pedal doesn't recognize a switch between EXP 1 and 2.

10 minutes ago, briancbrittain61 said:

This may explain why my Mission Pedal on my Rack Floor board doesn't save correctly anymore. And the pedal doesn't recognize a switch between EXP 1 and 2.

When you say it doesn’t save correctly, what do you mean, exactly?

My Mission Engineering pedal’s toe switch is working fine with my Rack still. The toe switch on the Rack has never switched between EXP1 and EXP2, fwiw. That’s never been a feature that’s existed for the Rack.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:21 AM, rd2rk said:

I was wondering what you meant by "engages the Mode Switch".

You're talking about the HXSXL, right, NOT the HXS?

The HXS does not HAVE a Mode switch.

Maybe that's why it's not working?

This is from the release note of 3.10

New MIDI message (Helix LT, HX Stomp, HX Stomp XL): CC 73 toggles between Play and Edit views

This was working before the latest firmware update. Maybe someone can help to test? Hopefully it is not isolated issue to my device 

I tried it just to see if it did anything. It didn't. But, since the HXS doesn't have a MODE SWITCH per se (it's called VIEW), perhaps I'm not using the MIDI message properly.

I tried it as a toggling CC (127/0). When it was working for you, how were you using it?

On 2/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, theElevators said:

Probably another preset is affecting this behavior.  This is what happens when people test things on only one preset :)  Gotta expand the scope of testing. 

Also, maybe the EXP 2 vs EXP 1 makes a difference as well.  Either way, this is a scary bug. 

I am always cautious when I upgrade the Helix.  I have my main gigging Helix on the previous version still and will not upgrade it until this is sorted out.  Last thing I need is to have weird glitches on stage in front of a lot of people.  Ugh. 

OK. I got a confirmation from Line 6 support that this is a bug.  Well, we knew it was, but just to know we're not crazy.  The new "behavior" behavior is buggy.  I dowgraded to 3.11 and will upgrade when this bug is sorted out.  To me, the new legacy synth sounds + a new amp are not needed. 

The downgrade process was very simple.  I just ran the line 6 installer and selected 3.11. 

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Hello. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Line 6 HX Stomp XL

Firmware 3.1+ (tried the 3 most recent ones)

HX Edit a- I’ve tried the 2 most recent updates

Windows 10

Currently, I’m experiencing no sound when the unit is FULLY booted up. I hear a dry signal when you first turn the unit on, but once the unit is booted it cuts out.

The weird thing is, I 100% know that this is a software issue. Everything worked before I did a factory reset so I could sell it. Having 2nd thoughts, I was going to give it another go. I installed all the lastest firmwares and started trying to make a patch. I get no sound, none of the stock presets work. It’s pretty much just bricked.

i uninstalled everything and tried again, didn’t work. Reverted back to older firmwares, nothing worked. Updated the older firmwares to the latest ones, no luck. 

Am I missing something here?

19 hours ago, theElevators said:

OK. I got a confirmation from Line 6 support that this is a bug.  Well, we knew it was, but just to know we're not crazy.  The new "behavior" behavior is buggy.  I dowgraded to 3.11 and will upgrade when this bug is sorted out.  To me, the new legacy synth sounds + a new amp are not needed. 

The downgrade process was very simple.  I just ran the line 6 installer and selected 3.11. 

Cheers.

"Behavior" behavior, lol. Yes, that choice of parameter naming led to a bit of redundancy in my posts detailing my test results. Were you able to submit a repeatable test case to Line 6? So far, I have not found one after admittedly limited testing in comparison to what I think is required to thoroughly QA this feature. From my limited testing I was able to get predictable results. Clearly others are not having the same experience. Would still like to have a better understanding of exactly what the issue is. As I mentioned in an earlier post, perhaps the bug is showing up under certain combinations of settings and presets. Testing this is beyond my scope and probably any single user's. Hopefully it will be resolved for everyone in the next update. Until then I am staying with 3.15, I can live with it.

21 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

"Behavior" behavior, lol. Yes, that choice of parameter naming led to a bit of redundancy in my posts detailing my test results. Were you able to submit a repeatable test case to Line 6? So far, I have not found one after admittedly limited testing in comparison to what I think is required to thoroughly QA this feature. From my limited testing I was able to get predictable results. Clearly others are not having the same experience. Would still like to have a better understanding of exactly what the issue is. As I mentioned in an earlier post, perhaps the bug is showing up under certain combinations of settings and presets. Testing this is beyond my scope and probably any single user's. Hopefully it will be resolved for everyone in the next update. Until then I am staying with 3.15, I can live with it.

I showed the video, and describe what was in the video.  They said at first they could not reproduce on Windows 10, but then said they did, and reproduced and forwarded it to their QA team.  Maybe it's an issue with the Mac HX Edit... I don't know and don't care lol.  3.11 works just fine.  Ain't broke, don't fix.  If I literally have no need for the new features, and am perfectly happy with 3.11, I will continue to use it. 

"

Thanks for providing your info. Me and one of my colleagues were able to reproduce it. I've forward the issue to our QA team for further review. Most likely it will be fixed on the upcoming updates if they're able.

Regards,
Pete

"

• Upvote 1