Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

On 1/19/2023 at 1:51 AM, rd2rk said:

In each Snapshot you need to set the parameter to the desired position, then SAVE the Preset.

Lastly, SAVE the preset to the desired default Snapshot.

I know, already save the preset to desired position, i only use either on or off, but after save the preset, some snapshot revert back to global

On 1/25/2023 at 7:42 AM, dickybluesman said:

I know, already save the preset to desired position, i only use either on or off, but after save the preset, some snapshot revert back to global

Attach a copy of the offending preset so we can have a look at it.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:47 PM, dickmannma said:

Hi there.

I upgraded to 3.5 and it seems I can no longer control the model of my Variax from the bypass control. As you can see in the screenshot below, I split my path A/B for electric or acoustic, assigned to footswitch 1. I also have a variax (preset) model assigned to footswitch 1.

The expected behavior is when footswitch one is disabled, the variax is set to spank-1 and the top route is selected (wah, dist, amp, cab). When it is enabled, it switches to the lower path (comp, gain, eq) and sets the variax model to acoustic-5. The model knob on the variax can override the set models, but they will always reset when pressing footswitch 1.

This was all functional before 3.5. Now the path switches, but the model never changes from what is set on the guitar knob. 

PpUdaRZ.png

Is there a new setting or something I am missing that is preventing the helix from setting the model?

Thanks

Hey there!

In the Input block, do you have your Variax settings set to "Per Preset"? Let me know!

Thanks!

- Jim

• 2 weeks later...

My HXFX unit doesn't get the bpm from midi 5pin correctly. 

Midi Bass CH is Omni, Midi Thru is on, RxMidi Clock is set to Midi, TX midi clock is set to Off, and I've tried with tempo on global and preset. It doesn't work when downstream from multiple devices nor when it is the only device after the clock nor when there's a midi filter filtering out all messages except start and clock.

In this first video the drum machine playing is sending clock to HXFX, which is set to read the tempo. Even accounting for starting the effect late, it doesn't stay consistently late.

In the second video, it's a toss up what bpm the hx's tempo button jumps to when receiving clock.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ka5par said:

Helix Native Tremolo FX Sync?

Have you noticed that the tremolo phase doesn't sync very well to the DAW tempo?
What I mead by that is every time you start the playback the tremolo phase doesn't fall in the same place - sometimes it's a musical length off - upbeat instead of downbeat, sometimes it seems just out of sync. The time interval is correct though, just starting at an arbitrary time.

I don't know if it's a bug, an unfortunate feature, is it just for me or for everybody?

Im using Reaper on Windows 10.

EDIT: I tried also automating the bypass of the tremolo, but this doesn't seem to have an effect on the phase of the tremolo.

It doesn't seem to sync to 5pin midi either.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a factory reset - still have the same issue - no graphical cone/mic, just the mic/distance sliders.  

I'm choosing the Princess and the 1X10 Princess cab to be sure not to grab a legacy item.   Is there a way to reinstall the software?

Something else I noticed after the reset - on the Factory presets the cabs are missing - so for preset 1, the US Double Nrm, The chain is Wah/Vol/Dyn/Delay/Amp/<space>/Mod.

It's like the new cabs were disappeared.....

On 2/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, screwjack said:

Did a factory reset - still have the same issue - no graphical cone/mic, just the mic/distance sliders.  

I'm choosing the Princess and the 1X10 Princess cab to be sure not to grab a legacy item.   Is there a way to reinstall the software?

Something else I noticed after the reset - on the Factory presets the cabs are missing - so for preset 1, the US Double Nrm, The chain is Wah/Vol/Dyn/Delay/Amp/<space>/Mod.

This isn't a bug report, btw, but a technical support issue. You need to be doubly and triply sure that both the firmware and the HX Edit are on the latest. What you describe is what happens then they are not.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:41 PM, screwjack said:

Hi,

It's not a bug!

There is a "sticky" thread on here entitled:
Seriously, if you don’t see the new amp and effects models after updating, it means you need to update HX Edit.

If you feel you need to re-install the firmware there is also this thread:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks both!

Peter - Helix is/was on the latest FW and yes it is awesome - it was losing some of that functionality that was so disturbing!  HX Edit was not fully updated - now at 3.1.  

I must have missed a HX Edit update notice or something.  The odd thing is that i was able to use the new cabs on what must have been HX Edit 3.0 (which is how I knew about the graphical cab mic-ing).  Or my backup got out of sync when I upgraded my Mac to a new machine and restored.  Lesson learned on checking the SW version in any case.

File under RTFM.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, screwjack said:

Or my backup got out of sync when I upgraded my Mac to a new machine and restored.  Lesson learned on checking the SW version in any case.

Hi,

As noted in the link I provided regarding updating HX Edit if you don't see the new stuff - on some Macs, it is sometimes the case that when installing the new version of HX Edit an older version may still be launched by clicking on an "alias" to the previously installed version. It's always wise to double check.

Enjoy your new cabs.

• Like 1

Huh, found a big bug this morning. I made a backup, saved a bundle and two setlists from my Helix LT, and when importing them to HX Native, all Amp+Cab blocks have been changed to just the amp.

I'm reporting it to Line6 right now.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:51 PM, molul said:

Huh, found a big bug this morning. I made a backup, saved a bundle and two setlists from my Helix LT, and when importing them to HX Native, all Amp+Cab blocks have been changed to just the amp.

I'm reporting it to Line6 right now.

Hi,

That's weird - I just imported a Bundle of the entire contents of my Helix floor and everything is it should be. No missing cabs, or anything else, here.

Mysterious.

Have to you tried importing the bundle and setlists again - maybe a computer glitch?

Tried a few times, yes. I have to try exporting again and see what happens. It's weird because this has never happened until this time, and I've exported a few times since I updated to 3.50 without issues.

• Like 1

Hi Line-6 & community,

I came across the following issue on my HX Stomp (firmware 3.50) regarding TAP Tempo Function:

a) Using footswitch FS3 (works as expected):

1) Assign FS3 to Tap/Tuner.

2) Send Midi CC 51 (Emulates FS3) with value 127 to the HX stomp

3) Wait for 1-2 seconds

Result: the device switches to the tuner display (as expected).

b) Using footswitch FS5 (inconsitent behaviour):

1) Assign FS5 to Tap/Tuner.

2) Send Midi CC 53 (Emulates FS5) with value 127 to the HX stomp

3) Wait for 1-2 seconds

Result: the device does *NOT* switch to tuner display, other than the previous example!

As a workaround a separate cc 68 message (Tuner screen on/off) can be send to the device, but this requires a more complex setup or more dedicated external switches which is sad because it works perfectly using footswitch FS1-3 assigned to Tap/Tuner and using their corresponding CCs.

Dear Line6, please let me kow your opinion about this issue/inconsistency.

Kind regards in advance,

Andreas

PS: Loving the HX Stomp, it is just so versatile... and after this bugfix even more so! ;)

I’m not sure if this is a bug, or intended to work this way, but I have had this issue on my HX Effects through multiple devices, resets and upgrades, and it is an issue on all of them.

Currently using HX Effects on 3.5

I have a mission spring loaded effects pedal that is inactive on the snapshots, but is set to activate the effect when the pedal is moved and then deactivates once it returns back to normal (0%) position.

If I engage the pedal for a wha effect, then release and quickly change to a different snapshot, the wah pedal is active on the next snapshot when it should not be, and does not inactivate even though the pedal is back in its (0%) position.

This basically activates the muffled wah effect on my snapshots where it the effect should not be engaged and there is not a good way to disengage it, because the pedal is already at its (0%) position.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, bsimmons106 said:

I’m not sure if this is a bug, or intended to work this way, but I have had this issue on my HX Effects through multiple devices, resets and upgrades, and it is an issue on all of them.

Currently using HX Effects on 3.5

I have a mission spring loaded effects pedal that is inactive on the snapshots, but is set to activate the effect when the pedal is moved and then deactivates once it returns back to normal (0%) position.

If I engage the pedal for a wha effect, then release and quickly change to a different snapshot, the wah pedal is active on the next snapshot when it should not be, and does not inactivate even though the pedal is back in its (0%) position.

This basically activates the muffled wah effect on my snapshots where it the effect should not be engaged and there is not a good way to disengage it, because the pedal is already at its (0%) position.

Check if your expression pedal is set to "per snapshot" for your Expression Pedal 2.  Set it to "per preset" instead, that's what I personally use.  Or use "global". 

Basically, do you want your expression pedal's percentage to stay the same when you go between presets/snapshots? 

-- global: your expression pedal stays a the same percentage when you change your presets or snapshots

-- per preset: your expression pedal gets reset to the percentage that you saved your preset as

-- per snapshot: your expression pedal gets reset to the percentage that you saved each individual snapshot as

Go to Global settings / EXP pedals / and twist the knob for your Expression Pedal 2 and set it to the desired value. 

Otherwise, if you have it "per snapshot", then when you switch to that snapshot, the position of the expression pedal is as you saved it.  So if you saved that snapshot  with the pedal at 6% instead of 0%, you will have this engaged wah sound....

When are you gonna fix the offset tuner issue?
I use the offset settings on the tuner to tune my true temperamented fretted guitar 
i set it up as follows 

Low E string = -2

A-string  = 0

D-string = +2

G-string = +4

B-string = -1

High E-string = -2
If i save a backup to my computer and have ticked in all "boxes" i guess tuner is  "global" and then load in that backup later on (it doesn't matter if i have upgraded the firmware or if i am on the same firmware)
All offset setting i have setup works except the D-string which stay on = 0 so i always have to change it to +2 otherwise my TT fretted guitar will not be in tune
I have reported it here before maybe i need to send in a ticket as it shouldnt take alot of time to fix that bug.

Hope it will be fixed on the next firmware update

On 3/9/2023 at 5:25 AM, Guitarmaniac64 said:

When are you gonna fix the offset tuner issue?

"You" doesn't hang out here. If you want L6 to hear your plea, you need to open a support ticket.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

I think that I have found a bug in Helix 3.5 New Cabinet Models. I thought that I liked the sound of a Dual Cab (1x12 Grammatico with the 2x15 Brute Bas Cabinet) with the US Double Nrm Amp Model. I found two issues: 1) It crashed Helix Native in Reaper and I suspect other DAWs as well.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, bbehrens said:

and I suspect other DAWs as well.

Have you checked this using anything other than Reaper?

You haven’t specified what version of Reaper, your computer type and operating system details. It’s good to know these things.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:15 AM, datacommando said:

"version of Reaper"

Thanks,

I always keep Reaper at the latest version v6.78 Win64. I was posting in the hopes that others with other DAWs would reply and see if the issue is present in other DAWs as well.

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:56 AM, bbehrens said:

I think that I have found a bug in Helix 3.5 New Cabinet Models. I thought that I liked the sound of a Dual Cab (1x12 Grammatico with the 2x15 Brute Bas Cabinet) with the US Double Nrm Amp Model. I found two issues: 1) It crashed Helix Native in Reaper and I suspect other DAWs as well.

Confirmed in Reaper and LIVE11.

Reaper simply crashes out. LIVE11 crashes the AI too!

Further notes -

Factory Bass presets work fine

Specifically affects Bass models in NEW Presets (or editing Factory Presets)

Bass+Cab or Bass Amp and separate Cab both crash

Bass+Legacy or Bass Amp and separate Legacy Cab work fine, BUT...

If you then attempt to switch the Legacy Cab to a new model Cab, it allows the change without crash, but the Native Output Meter instantly spikes with NO signal reaching the Reaper track.

All of these anomalous behaviors ONLY occur with the NEW Bass Cabs. Legacy and Guitar (new or legacy) Cabs do not cause a problem.

OP - Congratulations, you've found a bug! Open a support ticket so that L6 can confirm and pass it up to the bug killers!

• Upvote 2

Thanks datacommando and rd2rk,

I have updated the Support Ticket with some additional information from rd2rk. I don't like finding bugs! Save your congratulations for Line 6 who will squash the problem like a... bug?!?!?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the 3.50 Release Notes under "Bug Fixes in 3.50".

• When assigning block bypass to an expression pedal, Behavior > "Heel Down" or "Toe Down" could sometimes revert to "Toggle"—FIXED

This is not fixed. I have a block of presets in which I try to use this feature, because an auto-return/switchless wah is great. I powered on my unit yesterday, found all these Toe Down settings reverted back to Heel Down. I corrected them all, saved them, and found some of them changed AGAIN on second inspection. I corrected and saved them, rebooted the unit. They came up reset to Heel Down. I corrected and saved all of them. Copied them to a new set of Preset slots. Every one of them changed from my Toe Down spec to Heel Down between my fixing them and my pasting them into new slots.

This is NOT fixed. It's a valuable feature that I really want to use. But I'm having to pack an external switchless wah to manage a feature Line 6 says was fixed. Where's the QC in this bug report?

On 3/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, johnbeamon said:

• When assigning block bypass to an expression pedal, Behavior > "Heel Down" or "Toe Down" could sometimes revert to "Toggle"—FIXED

This is not fixed. I have a block of presets in which I try to use this feature, because an auto-return/switchless wah is great. I powered on my unit yesterday, found all these Toe Down settings reverted back to Heel Down. I corrected them all, saved them, and found some of them changed AGAIN on second inspection. I corrected and saved them, rebooted the unit. They came up reset to Heel Down. I corrected and saved all of them. Copied them to a new set of Preset slots. Every one of them changed from my Toe Down spec to Heel Down between my fixing them and my pasting them into new slots.

This is NOT fixed. It's a valuable feature that I really want to use. But I'm having to pack an external switchless wah to manage a feature Line 6 says was fixed. Where's the QC in this bug report?

Sadly, there are no Line staff here and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - (See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums”).

It might be wise to raise a ticket with Customer Support and then at least they will be aware of the issue.

Hope this helps makes sense.

This one is killing me.  98% sure it's not a setting.

HXFX running 3.50

Using snapshots.

Create two snapshots with an Ext amp switch on in both. 

On snap 1, go into it (Mode button) and then turn off Ext Amp switch, (which in my case changes my amp channel from dirty to clean).

Press mode again to get back to Snaps

Press snap 2 that also has ext amp switch on.  SWITCH DOES NOT WORK). Amp switch is lit like it's on and therefore should switch. But it did not change when I went to that snapshot. Stayed on my clean channel.

Channel switching breaks if you go into a snapshot, turn off ext. amp switch, go to another snap with ext amp turned on and it doesn't turn on. Stays in off mode even though lit.    

This used to work before 3.50

Ugh.

Hope you can help! :) 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:47 PM, maxm17 said:

This one is killing me.  98% sure it's not a setting.

HXFX running 3.50

Using snapshots.

Create two snapshots with an Ext amp switch on in both. 

On snap 1, go into it (Mode button) and then turn off Ext Amp switch, (which in my case changes my amp channel from dirty to clean).

Press mode again to get back to Snaps

Press snap 2 that also has ext amp switch on.  SWITCH DOES NOT WORK). Amp switch is lit like it's on and therefore should switch. But it did not change when I went to that snapshot. Stayed on my clean channel.

Channel switching breaks if you go into a snapshot, turn off ext. amp switch, go to another snap with ext amp turned on and it doesn't turn on. Stays in off mode even though lit.    

This used to work before 3.50

Ugh.

Hope you can help! :) 

Attach the actual preset so we can troubleshoot it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2023 at 5:26 AM, rd2rk said:

Attach the actual preset so we can troubleshoot it.

Hi,

We seem to have a cross post glitch. 

This guy had posted the same issue in the main forum, where I mentioned you had asked for an example preset. Guess it’s not a bug until it’s been checked out.

He has uploaded the HXFX preset to this thread:

Hope you can help him out, as I don’t have access to switchable external amps. (Studio Rat!) ;-)

On 3/29/2023 at 3:41 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

We seem to have a cross post glitch. 

This guy had posted the same issue in the main forum, where I mentioned you had asked for an example preset. Guess it’s not a bug until it’s been checked out.

He has uploaded the HXFX preset to this thread:

Hope you can help him out, as I don’t have access to switchable external amps. (Studio Rat!) ;-)

I am the person who posted both. Grateful for any insights here. I have a feeling it's a bug, however. :( 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, bbehrens said:

Can you attach the preset that's crashing your DAW? Also, are you using Mac or Windows? AU or VST plugin? Thanks!

On 3/26/2023 at 3:10 PM, johnbeamon said:

Hey John,

I'm not able to repro this on Helix Floor. Which Helix device are you using? If you'd like to send over one of the problematic presets I'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Thanks!

Oddly, and I thought this was new cheaper guitar causing this (the pickups) but when I have Helix off sometimes at night and cut on, sound is darker, making pickups sound muffled, when switch preset is fine, when go back to last preset booted to is fine. I dont get this. But when I cut unit off again and went back to same preset was fine.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:45 AM, acousticglue said:

Oddly, and I thought this was new cheaper guitar causing this (the pickups) but when I have Helix off sometimes at night and cut on, sound is darker, making pickups sound muffled, when switch preset is fine, when go back to last preset booted to is fine. I dont get this. But when I cut unit off again and went back to same preset was fine.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but as it sounds like random weirdness I'm going to suggest a Factory Reset:

On 3/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, johnbeamon said:

I knew it!  Thanks for the tip. 

This is exactly why I don't upgrade from 3.11. 

For me the bypass functionality based on percentage works great.  Ain't broke, no need to fix it. 

So, wah block is off in the preset; it turns on when EXP 2 is past 5%.  Lower than 5% it gets turned off.  If I don't want to use the wah in a certain snapshot, I set the mix parameter to 0% -- done.  Forget about this utterly useless "Heel Down" behavior. Line 6 really really over-complicated this.