Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

On 4/14/2023 at 6:47 PM, jiml6 said:

Hey John,

I'm not able to repro this on Helix Floor. Which Helix device are you using? If you'd like to send over one of the problematic presets I'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Thanks!

I was seeing a bug that was ultimately caused by HX Edit running on a Mac on with Helix Firmware 3.15  In reality, altering one preset would apply the same (unrelated) changes to a different preset.  Nobody could replicate this bug on Windows.  It was literally altering unrelated presets.  And you wouldn't know if you broke a preset until you tested all your numerous presets. 

Staying on 3.11  thank you verrrrry much. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:38 AM, acousticglue said:

Also for whatever reason the Template "two Tones A+B" when used for me the volume assign doesnt work for main pedal on Lite. I copy the template to presets User area and still no but the Pete Thorn preset does work

As mentioned by @rd2rk in reply to your earlier post - when weird stuff happens, perform a factory reset.

What you’re describing seems like general glitches, rather than bug specific. If these 2 different issues were actual bugs, we should expect more reports. 

Have you done a Factory Reset?

If you have, then provide more information regarding these problems, for example - your hardware device, your computer and OS, also are these issues repeatable after every restart, and/or do they still persist after a Factory Reset.

Your previous posts are a little too vague.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: Update 1 hour later.

I have just fired up my Helix Floor and  checked the preset Template file 02C TwoTones A-B, and the Volume Block works as expected.

Regarding the Factory Preset 22B Pete Thorn Duo - If you check the Volume Pedal Block it has white square brackets surrounding the position parameter, which indicates it is controlled by a Snapshot. SS1 is Tone A, and SS2 is Tone B. My guess is the Preset 22B Pete Thorn Duo is just a modified version of the Template file. Unsurprisingly, that's exactly what Template files are for. Copy one into an empty slot and chop and change to suit your own requirements.

I don't think this is a bug.

Edited by datacommando
Added Update

Hi, I have a HX Stomp LX and I was able to update to the 3.6 firmware but after performing a factory reset I can't see the new presets with the Grammatico amp. I am holding C + D when powering up, and I can see on display the message that is reseting the factory presets, but nothing changes. 13B still has DIR: VH JumpJS. 

On 4/25/2023 at 11:42 AM, pauloportella said:

Hi, I have a HX Stomp LX and I was able to update to the 3.6 firmware but after performing a factory reset I can't see the new presets with the Grammatico amp. I am holding C + D when powering up, and I can see on display the message that is reseting the factory presets, but nothing changes. 13B still has DIR: VH JumpJS. 

The factory presets with the Grammatico GSG are 15B and 15C. Let me know if you're still not seeing them and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot. 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:47 PM, jiml6 said:

Hey John,

I'm not able to repro this on Helix Floor. Which Helix device are you using? If you'd like to send over one of the problematic presets I'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Thanks!

It's all my presets, dozens of them in multiple setlists on two different Floor devices. I can add a Wah block to any Factory Preset, set it to Toe Down and 95%, and save it. It works while I'm on it. The Wah engages when EXP1 is on AND I'm cycling up and down the pedal range. I copy the preset, paste it into a new slot, and Toe Down will change to something else. It's reproducible. It's not a preset; it's all presets where I try to use this feature. As soon as I paste them, move them, or import them (which I do weekly between two devices), this bug appears. See the video. I've submitted the full version to Line 6, but this is a clip that shows a copy-paste action changing that setting.

• Like 1

Hi guys. I have a weird issue after the current update where some factory presets don't output audio. Not the 4CM preset issue. I'm running headphones right now. Also the bass cab blocks block audio from passing further down the chain. Bummer because I play bass. The legacy cabs work. Very weird.

This is after updating to 3.6 which gave me an error. Presumably because I had the Stomp connected to my MacBook via a hub because I don't have USB-A. Anyways after restarting it showed 3.6 installed on the Stomp. After discovering the issues I have done 2 factory resets to no avail.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:58 AM, H3R3T1K said:

Hi guys. I have a weird issue after the current update where some factory presets don't output audio. Not the 4CM preset issue. I'm running headphones right now. Also the bass cab blocks block audio from passing further down the chain. Bummer because I play bass. The legacy cabs work. Very weird.

This is after updating to 3.6 which gave me an error. Presumably because I had the Stomp connected to my MacBook via a hub because I don't have USB-A. Anyways after restarting it showed 3.6 installed on the Stomp. After discovering the issues I have done 2 factory resets to no avail.

Which factory presets aren't passing audio? Also, is there any particular bass cab that is blocking audio, or is it all of them? Thanks! 

I've discovered a bug on the new bass cabs in the 3.6 update.

On the Epifani 1x12, the available microphones are the guitar mic selection, not the bass mics.

On the Ampeg 4x10 Pro, the available mics are also the guitar mics, but the image in HX Edit is for the bass mic selection.

It's a small error, but it makes it impossible to know what mic I'm actually using on these two bass cabs. A fix would be most welcome. Thanks!

This is on a Mac Mini, OS 10.15.7.

On 4/26/2023 at 7:24 PM, UFODeathCult said:

I've discovered a bug on the new bass cabs in the 3.6 update.

On the Epifani 1x12, the available microphones are the guitar mic selection, not the bass mics.

On the Ampeg 4x10 Pro, the available mics are also the guitar mics, but the image in HX Edit is for the bass mic selection.

It's a small error, but it makes it impossible to know what mic I'm actually using on these two bass cabs. A fix would be most welcome. Thanks!

This is on a Mac Mini, OS 10.15.7.

Great find. It has been logged. Thanks! 

I have this problem that importing presets into HX Edit (from the Marketplace) will not transfer correctly to an HX Stomp. More specifically the snapshot settings are sometimes messed up on the device (e.g. the snapshot name is missing or the stomp color is wrong). All other settings seem to be correct as far as I can tell. This is the case for the firmware versions 3.50 and 3.60.

3.6 Update

Triple Rotary - Virtually no ramp speed

This is the first rotary speaker emulator that I like the sound of, kudos. The only issue I have is that one of the coolest things about rotary speakers is switching fast and slow rotor speeds and that acceleration up to fast and the longer spin-down to the slow speed. 

Now I admit, I've never plugged into the Yamaha speaker being emulated, but it sounds like setting the ramp speed at the lowest setting, the change is instant; and at the highest setting there is still a near instant shift. That can't be right; it seems to defy the physics of the device being emulated.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, johnbeamon said:

It's all my presets, dozens of them in multiple setlists on two different Floor devices. I can add a Wah block to any Factory Preset, set it to Toe Down and 95%, and save it. It works while I'm on it. The Wah engages when EXP1 is on AND I'm cycling up and down the pedal range. I copy the preset, paste it into a new slot, and Toe Down will change to something else. It's reproducible. It's not a preset; it's all presets where I try to use this feature. As soon as I paste them, move them, or import them (which I do weekly between two devices), this bug appears. See the video. I've submitted the full version to Line 6, but this is a clip that shows a copy-paste action changing that setting.

Helix 3.5 Wah bug.mov

Same here. Driving me nuts.  Updated to 3.6, copied an existing preset with a wah with toe down bypass to make a GSG 100 preset, and now the behavior on every preset with a wah is heel down bypass. Real PITA to fix, have to open every preset, modify, and save.  In the future, before copying a preset with a wah in it to make a new one, I'm going to delete the wah before copying it.  Maybe that will keep the behavior from propagating to every preset.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, alighton said:

Same here. Driving me nuts.  Updated to 3.6, copied an existing preset with a wah with toe down bypass to make a GSG 100 preset, and now the behavior on every preset with a wah is heel down bypass. Real PITA to fix, have to open every preset, modify, and save.  In the future, before copying a preset with a wah in it to make a new one, I'm going to delete the wah before copying it.  Maybe that will keep the behavior from propagating to every preset.

Hello. I am able to reproduce this. It seems to be an issue tied to HX Edit. If I duplicate a preset by saving it to a new location using the hardware itself, the change to Heel Down does not happen. It only occurs when copying and pasting a preset with HX Edit. I will log a bug for this. Thank you for reporting it.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:10 PM, alighton said:

Do not use the toe-down feature.  It is not thought-through.  I tried it briefly when 3.15 came out, then quickly downgraded to 3.11 and have been on it ever since.  There is a bug that is still not fixed according to what people have posted--when you modify one preset's bypass behavior, it applies to unrelated presets.  No-good! 

Simply use the bypass by percentage.  If you want the wah to be off in a snapshot, simply take the "mix" parameter, assign it to snapshots, and set it to 0% in the snapshot you want the wah to be off. 

I've noticed that split paths are quieter than non-split, single paths. I understand that Y and A/B split paths need to be reduced in volume so that the merged signal appears to be the same volume. However in practice there is something amiss

• Y and A/B split need a +3db level boost in the merge block to appear the same volume as non-split path
  • Crossover splits needs a significant +6db boost in the merge block to appear the same volume as non-split path

Is this by design? Surely the volume should be the same coming out of the split path as what goes in? Especially with the crossover split - I can't think of any scenario why someone would need this particular split to be -6db quieter.

On 5/2/2023 at 7:34 AM, gregedwards69 said:

I've noticed that split paths are quieter than non-split, single paths. I understand that Y and A/B split paths need to be reduced in volume so that the merged signal appears to be the same volume. However in practice there is something amiss

• Y and A/B split need a +3db level boost in the merge block to appear the same volume as non-split path
  • Crossover splits needs a significant +6db boost in the merge block to appear the same volume as non-split path

Is this by design? Surely the volume should be the same coming out of the split path as what goes in? Especially with the crossover split - I can't think of any scenario why someone would need this particular split to be -6db quieter.

Pan law - Wikipedia

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, gregedwards69 said:

There is a reason (Pan Law) and here is a post on the subject from a few years back.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, datacommando said:

There is a reason (Pan Law) and here is a post on the subject from a few years back.

Pan law for stereo splits, such as Y and AB absolutely makes sense, but I am experiencing a different result. I’m seeing a -3db drop in level from a Y or AB split at the output sum, and -6db drop on a crossover split at the output sum. The latter makes no practical sense to me at all as it’s splitting a signal in half, not duplicating it. I feel the crossover split needs a different approach.

I could have course be doing something wrong at need to retest, but I’m definitely getting a lower signal on all types of split - not +3db and -3db as the quoted thread suggests.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, gregedwards69 said:

I could have course be doing something wrong at need to retest, but I’m definitely getting a lower signal on all types of split - not +3db and -3db as the quoted thread suggests.

You didn’t specify, but as you posted this in the “bug reports”, I imagine you’re referring to v3.6 firmware, and previously everything was fine and now it has changed?

When weird and unexpected things happen, the best thing is to perform a factory reset on your hardware. In some cases it is advisable to reinstall the latest firmware.

As for the crossover and dynamic splits, I have never had a need to use either of those options in almost 8 years of using my Helix.

Did you read the link posted by @rd2rk in the post above? Physics is science, not an opinion.

It was before 3.6, TBH, I think it's a "feature" that has been there a long time. but I have only just gotten around to properly resolving. I am running 3.6 and I've performed a factory reset this time and every time I've updated firmware as directed in the installation instructions.

FWIW, I'm a bassist, so I use split paths a lot.

Yes I read the link posted above. I understand the principles, but as I mentioned above, I'm seeing a different result to what's expected. 

Pan law would dictate a 3db increase for Y and A/B splits with the balance centered, whereas I'm seeing a 3db decrease.

This also dictates a 3db decrease for crossover split whereas I'm seeing a 6db decrease

On 5/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, gregedwards69 said:

It was before 3.6, TBH, I think it's a "feature" that has been there a long time. but I have only just gotten around to properly resolving. I am running 3.6 and I've performed a factory reset this time and every time I've updated firmware as directed in the installation instructions.

FWIW, I'm a bassist, so I use split paths a lot.

Yes I read the link posted above. I understand the principles, but as I mentioned above, I'm seeing a different result to what's expected. 

Pan law would dictate a 3db increase for Y and A/B splits with the balance centered, whereas I'm seeing a 3db decrease.

This also dictates a 3db decrease for crossover split whereas I'm seeing a 6db decrease

As I indicated earlier the crossover and dynamic splits are not something I have ever really messed with, but I understand why you would use them with bass.

I decided to trawl through some of the older posts on here trying to find any specific references to crossover and dynamic split points. Nope, nothing really obvious, other than a comment from the guy who I pointed you to previously. He commented - I think a new "split crossfader" block or better a "merge crossfader" parameter! would be a good addon for a new firmware”, but that was back in 2019 and nothing as surfaced thus far. All other mentions are about the 3db pan law instance.

The other thing is - I was looking for split block info, but my impression is this is more relevant to the MERGE block. Plus the Merge block does have an adjustable level control. Ultimately the control is in your hands.

The only way that you may get any clarification on this is to raise a ticket with Customer Support, and tell them your findings, then maybe they can explain what should be actually happening to the levels. More science, or wizardry, no doubt.

Hope this helps makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:38 AM, gregedwards69 said:

On 5/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, datacommando said:

The only way that you may get any clarification on this is to raise a ticket with Customer Support, and tell them your findings, then maybe they can explain what should be actually happening to the levels.

@gregedwards69Please do open a support ticket, and please report back what support tells you. This is something that may or may not be an issue, but in either case is misunderstood. A proper reply from support will give the entire community a resource for when someone raises the question again. Thanks!

On 5/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, rd2rk said:

@gregedwards69Please do open a support ticket, and please report back what support tells you. This is something that may or may not be an issue, but in either case is misunderstood. A proper reply from support will give the entire community a resource for when someone raises the question again. Thanks!

That’s a very good point. It would be helpful to others who stumble over this.

I even consulted the latest version of The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks by @craiganderton, but that was just as vague as the Owner’s Manual, other than using crossover for a whole bunch of bi-amping tricks, and the mixer block for parallel paths, which allows the user to determine the overall levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Command center settings are not copied correctly when you copy a preset.

Alright, so you this one is a ffffd up one, because there is a chance you don't see it until you're on stage and your equipment will not do what you expect it to.

I'm using:

Helix Rack
    Helix controller
    Mission Line 6 pedal (the crybaby thingy)

Here is how to reproduce:

Make a few snapshots I use 1-6
    Use the command center to make the EXP toe switch switch between snapshots
    Make this different for every snapshot:
        snapshot 1 goes to 4
        snapshot 2 goes to 5
        snapshot 3 goes to 6
        snapshot 5 goes to 3
    Note that you have to both set press AND release to these settings as it otherwise won't work at all
    Test your setup and make it switch between snapshots.
    Now copy the preset to another preset (I did this via HX edit)
    Be amazed at the fact that no matter which snapshot you're in, your EXP toe switch will now just use the same value to go to every time. There is no distinction between snapshots anymore.

I really hope you guys fixed this, because I had this happen to me live. And instead of the whammy, it went to wah. I winged it, but ffffing hell, I only realized later it was not me ffffd up during the gig, it was the equipment.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, dav1dmaes said:

Alright, so you this one is a ffffd up one, because there is a chance you don't see it until you're on stage and your equipment will not do what you expect it to.

I'm using:

Helix Rack
    Helix controller

snapshot 1 goes to 4
        snapshot 2 goes to 5
        snapshot 3 goes to 6
        snapshot 5 goes to 3
    Note that you have to both set press AND release to these settings as it otherwise won't work at all
    Be amazed at the fact that no matter which snapshot you're in, your EXP toe switch will now just use the same value to go to every time. There is no distinction between snapshots anymore.

I really hope you guys fixed this, because I had this happen to me live. And instead of the whammy, it went to wah. I winged it, but ffffing hell, I only realized later it was not me ffffd up during the gig, it was the equipment.

I don't have the Rack/Controller, I have the HXS with the ME SP-1 (the one with two output jacks designed for the Rack and HXS).

I created a preset:

SS1 SP-1 FS goes to SS2.

SS2 SP-1 FS goes to SS3.

SS3 SP-1 FS goes to SS1.

In HX Edit I did a simple copy/paste. The copy works fine.

I did a "Save As" copy. The copy works fine.

Attached is the preset I made. Does it work properly on your Rack?

dav1dmaes-1.hlx

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, dav1dmaes said:

It's an HX Edit bug after all!

Bug Fixes in 3.61

• EXP Bypass Toe Down Behavior parameter was reset to Heel Down when copy/pasting a preset, exporting/importing a preset, or restoring from a backup.
  • Bass cabinets incorrectly displayed guitar microphone graphics.
  • Other minor fixes and improvements.

An issue that I reported on September 14, 2017 regarding loss of volume over a period of time is back.

On 5/26/2023, I update the firmware on my Helix Rack from 3.15 to 3.60. I have a preset for bass that has 2 paths:

Path 1 has an input, compressor, amp+cab, compressor, volume, IR, and output blocks. Input comes from Return 1; output is MULTI. This path processes the neck pickup from my bass.

Path 2 has an input, Mic Preamp, and output blocks. Input comes from Return 4; output is MULTI. This path processes the bridge pickup from my bass.

When I select the preset, everything works as expected for a few minutes. After a few minutes (maybe 5 or so minutes), I no longer get any volume from Path 1. I don't really notice that it gets quieter over time, just that any signal/volume from Path 1 is gone after a while. When I switch to a different preset and then back to this preset it works as expected again. For another few minutes.

The issue may not have been introduced in 3.6 since I upgraded from 3.15 to 3.6.

--jack

On 6/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, jackwagner said:

An issue that I reported on September 14, 2017 regarding loss of volume over a period of time is back.

On 5/26/2023, I update the firmware on my Helix Rack from 3.15 to 3.60. I have a preset for bass that has 2 paths:

Path 1 has an input, compressor, amp+cab, compressor, volume, and output blocks. Input come from Return 1; output is MULTI. This path processes the neck pickup from my bass.

Path 2 has an input, Mic Preamp, and output blocks. Input comes from Return 4; output is MULTI. This path processes the bridge pickup from my bass.

When I select the preset, everything works as expected for a few minutes. After a few minutes (maybe 5 or so minutes), I no longer get any volume from Path 1. I don't really notice that it gets quieter over time, just that any signal/volume from Path 1 is gone after a while. When I switch to a different preset and then back to this preset it works as expected again. For another few minutes.

The issue may not have been introduced in 3.6 since I upgraded from 3.15 to 3.6.

--jack

Hello Jack,

If you could post the preset here I would be happy to check this out and see if I can also reproduce it.

On 6/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, jdomine said:

Hello Jack,

If you could post the preset here I would be happy to check this out and see if I can also reproduce it.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I will post the preset this evening when I get home from work.

Also, I realized that I forgot about the IR block on Path 1. I edited my original post to include it.

Thanks,

--jack

On 5/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, dav1dmaes said:

I'm using:

Helix Rack
    Helix controller

snapshot 1 goes to 4
        snapshot 2 goes to 5
        snapshot 3 goes to 6
        snapshot 5 goes to 3

I am able to reproduce this and have logged a bug for it. Please note that this also occurs when exporting/importing a preset or when restoring from a backup. Thank you for the report.

On 6/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, jdomine said:

Hello Jack,

Hi,

Here's the preset that I'm having trouble with. Here's the sequence that I used to reproduce the issue:

• Load the preset and connect bass to Return 1 and speaker/amp to Multi out
  • Disconnect USB
  • Play bass and note audio output
  • Tune bass
  • Play for another minute or so.
  • Let it site without playing bass for a while. I did something else for about 15 or 20 minutes.
  • Play bass and note no output for Path 1. I can see the input block on Path 1 go green to indicate activity, but no audio and no green on the output block.

Also, in my original description, I forgot that I also have a Preamp block between the Volume block and the IR. You'll notice it in the preset. The IR that I'm using is an Ampeg 810 cab. I forget where I got the IR, so I didn't want to post it here in case I purchased it.

After the output stopped, I reconnected the USB. Using HX Edit, I deactivated/bypassed the Amp+Cab block and output resumed. I activated it again and output stopped.

Hope you can recreate it.

Thanks for the help!

--jack

Jack Anthem 6_23.hlx

• Upvote 1

This is nitpicking, not a usability issue.

HX Edit icon in macOS is bigger than the conventional size, doesn't blend well with other icons. Screenshots for launchpad and dock (I use vertical dock) attached.

As I remember macOS UI guide started promoting smaller icons several years ago, but HX Edit icon didn't change. Any plan to update the icon size?

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 8.44.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 8.45.14 PM.png

Helix parameters are being corrupted since 3.6 on save and load. Individual presets, setlists and bundles are all affected. So far it seems to be ONLY parameters that are controlled by snapshots that I can find. I have not found any parameters corrupted so far that weren't also controlled by snapshots. This is happening on the floor as well as between Helix floor and Helix Native. I have updated HX Edit to 3.61 and the problem persists. Here is a video showing it between helix floor and helix native. Tomorrow I could show one where its happening on the floor by itself, but I need my helix to work for today's show. This is really causing some stress and anxiety that I really won't know what sort of box of chocolates I'll get when I turn this thing on on the stage

https://youtu.be/VjQNg4aJE3g

On 6/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, pipelineaudio1 said:

Here's a video showing parameters being corrupted when copying and pasting a preset in HX edit

So it's still not fixed?  Unacceptable!  That's why I'm still on 3.11.  Don't want to inadvertently break my presets.  You may want to downgrade until this is fixed.  IMO not worth the several new effects to have this insane chaos happening...

On 6/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, pipelineaudio1 said:

Here's a video showing parameters being corrupted when copying and pasting a preset in HX edit

I'm not sure this is happening to anybody else, tho... Have you re-flashed the firmware, and did you do a full factory reset when you were done with the update?