Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

(Helix Rack/Control, firmware 2.12, no computer hook-up via USB in general (only for backups, etc.))

There's a topic above; adjusting mics within an inactive cab block gives audible dropouts.

Further to this discussion:

I have a preset, my main gigging preset, which is my catch-all. I have been refining a particular sound option within it, and more recent additions and developments got me looking at this again.

So I of course made more 'scratch' copies of the preset to test options, and have noted some oddities along the lines of the other discussion.

The important parts; there's an amp in path one, with a split feeding into 2 cabs, one on path 1A, the other of course on 1B.

Then Path 1 feeds into Path 2.

Down there is a second amp, with a split feeding into cabs on 2A and 2B.

These amps are in series, as they are always toggled; this second amp/cab set is meant to handle different jobs.

That's been working fine; it's just that I've been refining some sounds which I wanted to insert in this place to test-drive on upcoming sit-ins.

My recent modifications have simply been to replace that 2nd amp with a different one, and I also replaced those A/B cabs with IRs.

All routing is unchanged. All other blocks are unchanged.

The oddities;

- changing the chosen IRs in the inactive IR blocks when the OTHER amp set is active gives the same audible drop-out (confusing given it's an inactive block of the sound path)

- there is an elusive 'something' negatively affecting the sound; to my ears, it's a loss of fidelity or something of that nature.

I have rebuilt the new version of the preset again from scratch - same result.

I have a copy of the previous version along-side a copy of the modified version, jumping from one preset to the other demonstrates that 'loss' to me, even after much testing.

I admit to having some 'ear fatigue' at the moment from digging into this for the past long while this evening, so I have to re-create this test tomorrow after my ears are less burned-out, but it's possible that rolling the MIX parameters of the IRs to 0% when inactive might actually change/remove this factor.

What version of Helix Edit are you running on your Mac? If it is not also v2.11, that could be your issue. Also, firmware 2.12 is out, but the latest editor is 2.11

The Edit version is 2.11. And since things seem to be trending downhill regarding stability with firmware updates, I think I'll skip these for a while. Thanks for the suggestion though.

HELIX using IR for cabs seem not to be responsive

like the Line 6 Helix cabs are. is this expected?

I like the IR's and they sound really good, better than the L6 cabs

but they dont 'feel' better..lack any dynamics at all.

Any thought on this?

The built-in cabs ARE IRs, just with some extra control.

imho, dial up a dual cab built-in cab and it sounds (again, to me) better than any of the after-market IRs I've tried.

If you want the "feel", you need the same volume as the amp you'd be comparing to, imho.

BUG:

If you multi on/off an amp cab and effects and swicth between

another multi am cab and effects (say a clean and dirty tone)

you get a noticeable 'pop' when turning the gained multi on 

or off.

When you do the same using a channel 2a 2b (using a/b template)

you dont have the same 'pop'. in this setup your limited to two tones

The use case is several dedicated amp setups in one patch that you can switch between

and this supposed to be better that you can assign 'trails' to the delays and other effects

(unlike when you switch patches).but the 'pop' when engaging the mult makes this useless

Please advise

Mark

replication

1) Create a amp/cab and delay mult

2) Create another amp/cab and delay mult in teh same 

patch

3) Switch between then turning on and off the mults

4) This should be done while playing and normal interval to switch

NOTE Use a clean distorted gained amp.

NOTE Do not use template A/B to do this

BUG:

If you multi on/off an amp cab and effects and swicth between

another multi am cab and effects (say a clean and dirty tone)

you get a noticeable 'pop' when turning the gained multi on

or off.

When you do the same using a channel 2a 2b (using a/b template)

you dont have the same 'pop'. in this setup your limited to two tones

The use case is several dedicated amp setups in one patch that you can switch between

and this supposed to be better that you can assign 'trails' to the delays and other effects

(unlike when you switch patches).but the 'pop' when engaging the mult makes this useless

Please advise

Mark

replication

1) Create a amp/cab and delay mult

2) Create another amp/cab and delay mult in teh same

patch

3) Switch between then turning on and off the mults

4) This should be done while playing and normal interval to switch

NOTE Use a clean distorted gained amp.

NOTE Do not use template A/B to do this

Can you post screenshots of each case?

• 2 weeks later...

Helix Rack / Control, firmware 2.12

Earlier this evening I revisited a few patches I made wherein I set up harmonies and such.

For reasons unknown (I have to deep-dive investigate to see what on earth has changed in there), they're notably messed up; they sound horrid (it seems the intervals are screwed up), whereas I'd worked them out in great detail, play-tested and re-tweaked, and good to go.

I haven't referenced these patches since before 2.12, but I'm pretty certain after 2.11.

Has anyone else noted issues with older patches utilizing twin harmony blocks?

Yesterday I had a really nasty issue which really upset the mixer guy (and I wasn't happy too lol); usually I don't use the Helix tuner but in the past never had this issue, but yesterday every time I was lifting the tuner footswitch, to go back to patch, a huge BANG was bouncing back the FOH, like if you were plugging a guitar in an amp, without turning down the volume. I've noticed this is on all my presets using a reverb and/or a delay. It's like some trail is happening after switching, flooding the output with a big sound BANG. Long story short, I've been asked to not use the tuner anymore in offline mode and almost forced to not use the Helix at all.... Really bad stuff. (XLR output were used)

It's that a know issue?

I'm on 2.11 btw.

Yesterday I had a really nasty issue which really upset the mixer guy (and I wasn't happy too lol); usually I don't use the Helix tuner but in the past never had this issue, but yesterday every time I was lifting the tuner footswitch, to go back to patch, a huge BANG was bouncing back the FOH, like if you were plugging a guitar in an amp, without turning down the volume. I've noticed this is on all my presets using a reverb and/or a delay. It's like some trail is happening after switching, flooding the output with a big sound BANG. Long story short, I've been asked to not use the tuner anymore in offline mode and almost forced to not use the Helix at all.... Really bad stuff. (XLR output were used)

It's that a know issue?

I'm on 2.11 btw.

Do the delays you're using have really high feedback settings? I think that when trails are on, the wet signal of the delay remains on in the background, and when you turn it back on, it taps into that again. So if you have a really high feedback, that signal could remain pretty strong, and when you tap into it, it's kind of like what you say - like plugging into a hot amp.

Do you have a volume pedal in your patches? One workaround might be lowering the volume of the patch prior to going into tuner mode.

My average feedback on delays is 10/25%, nothing dramatic, and yeah I'm pretty sure it's related to the trail buffer, which does retain some signal from the tuning process, bouncing back when you lift the tuner switch. The workaround I found today, working in da house, is to set a dedicated snapshot just for tuning, with all these effects turned off. I do use volume pedals but position and assignments are changing, depends on the preset, so I can't use it globally.

A good fix from Line6 could be NOT sending signal to the trail buffer while in tuner mode, as I think was doing in the past (?), as I really didn't get this problem with old firmware but as some point I stopped using the Helix tuner, so I don't know when this popped in. Sure it does not sounds right.

Interesting is that the BANG does vary with different pickups, even at low guitar volume. With my Gibsons it's the worst.

PierM,

You may want to consider submitting a Support Ticket to Line 6, to make them aware of your scenario.

At the very least, and even if it may not technically be a bug, it could give rise to Line 6 opting to improve how Helix handles signal path processing regading the Tuner.

• 4 weeks later...

This is actually by design, but whether or not you hear this is selectable in the Global Settings menu. To change it go to Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Page 2: Knob 1 (Tap Tempo Pitch) and change the setting from "authentic" to "transparent".

Why is this option removed on the latest firmware?  I don't see a second page under the midi/tempo section.

Why is this option removed on the latest firmware?  I don't see a second page under the midi/tempo section.

It has since been moved to the "Preferences" screen in the Global Settings menu.

A good thing "Sync Midi Clock"! but there is a problem.
I have tried with Pro Tools 12.7 et Sutudio One 3.3.4 and there is an offset with the clock.

Helix always shifts the clock, for example:

Pro Tools : 135 -> Helix : 137

Pro Tools : 120 -> Helix : 121

S1 : 90 -> Helix : 91

S1 : 98 -> Helix : 100

could you correct ?

That sort of jumpiness is just inherent to MIDI clock. +/- 1 BPM is about the best you can get. Having the display be a few BPMs off isn't unusual, either.

I think the thing is that even though MIDI is a universal protocol, there are still difference as to how individual manufacturers and drivers try to deal with jitter, and it causes some of this.

Bit machine and Helix delay times are starting together, but after few minutes they are totally off, because Helix is accumulating that extra bit/bits on its own. Would be probably helpful to have an option to fine tuning the sync offset.

Bug in Helix edit v2.20 re: editor display not properly tracking EXP pedal movement with pedal assigned to Amp Drive. I have a preset that uses EXP 2 (Helix Control unit) assigned to both the Amp Drive and the amp Channel volume in an inverse max/min relationship. As I move the EXP pedal from heel to toe I simultaneously increase the Drive level while decreasing the Channel Volume to keep the overall volume consistent. On the Helix Rack device I can see the display for both the Drive and Channel Volume levels change as I move the pedal. In Helix edit only the Channel Volume is correctly tracking the pedal movement; the Drive display in the editor does not change although the Drive level is clearly changing the sound.

I'm  not sure if this is a bug or my confusion,

The two new cabs 

• 2x12 Match H30, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†G12H30 speaker)
  • 2x12 Match G25, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†Greenback 25 speaker)

are listed as 2x12's but with the other 1x12's in the editor along with a picture of a 1x12 cab

Googling a Matchless DC30 describes it as a 2x12 with one of each speaker, maybe that's how we're supposed to use them?

Craig

There now seems to be a noticeable lag when switching blocks on and off within a preset. For instance, I have a fairly simple preset set up in the following manner:

Distortion (Stupor OD) - Wah (Colorful) - Amp (US Deluxe) - IR - Reverb (Spring) - Delay (Transistor Tape),

with the delay and distortion set to individual top row footswitches. Toggling either effect on or off with the footswitch results in a noticeable "hiccup" or delay in the effect engaging or disengaging.

There now seems to be a noticeable lag when switching blocks on and off within a preset. For instance, I have a fairly simple preset set up in the following manner: Distortion (Stupor OD) - Wah (Colorful) - Amp (US Deluxe) - IR - Reverb (Spring) - Delay (Transistor Tape), with the delay and distortion set to individual top row footswitches. Toggling either effect on or off with the footswitch results in a noticeable "hiccup" or delay in the effect engaging or disengaging.

I think they may have changed the way effect blocks ramp up when they come on to try to combat some of the issues people were having with popping when changing snapshots. I spent some time messing with this last week, and it seemed that it wasn't so much that the block wasn't coming on, but there was a short ramp up period now.

I think they may have changed the way effect blocks ramp up when they come on to try to combat some of the issues people were having with popping when changing snapshots. I spent some time messing with this last week, and it seemed that it wasn't so much that the block wasn't coming on, but there was a short ramp up period now.

If that's the case, it seems like a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" sort of solution. I guess I would expect the Stomp Footswitch mode to respond much like a traditional pedalboard with near-instantaneous effects switching.

There now seems to be a noticeable lag when switching blocks on and off within a preset. For instance, I have a fairly simple preset set up in the following manner: Distortion (Stupor OD) - Wah (Colorful) - Amp (US Deluxe) - IR - Reverb (Spring) - Delay (Transistor Tape), with the delay and distortion set to individual top row footswitches. Toggling either effect on or off with the footswitch results in a noticeable "hiccup" or delay in the effect engaging or disengaging.

Oh that's not good... as this is how I use Helix most of the time - with one sort of 'super patch' combined with some Snapshot 'broad strokes' settings...

For me, that's going to be a solution to a non-existent problem - not that I doubt others have run into a possible popping issue and such; more so that I hadn't run into it.

In fact, when I reinvented my super-patch as a Snapshot setup, it actually REDUCED popping of some of the functions I was previously doing with 8-job function switch assignments.

(Oh, this is the very first time that quoting on this forum has worked for me....)

I'll also go on record as saying that, for only the second time in my Helix experience, I've had freezups - in this case, it's been twice, and in short succession.

That's alarming.

I'm testing to see if it's related to a particular patch which may have someone become corrupted (? - puzzling; it's a nearly empty one which was simply an amp test).

anybody experiencing pops and clicks with the vintage delay with firmware 2.20?

I believe that's one which you need to take note of your settings, delete the block, and re-add it - and then look at the 'Headroom' parameter - set that higher to clean it up.

Look first; that parameter might not even show until you delete and re-add... it was an added parameter a FW or two back, and this is the symptom.

Fixing this way worked for me.

I'll now +1 this observation - it's quite noticeable... and then confusingly, I think you'll find that if you use a Snapshot setting to change the state of those same blocks, it's actually faster to respond.

This is a big deal as I see it; as stated above, I've become accustomed to the Stomps reacting instantly.

This sadly could inform a decision for me to roll back.

I'll now +1 this observation - it's quite noticeable... and then confusingly, I think you'll find that if you use a Snapshot setting to change the state of those same blocks, it's actually faster to respond.

This is a big deal as I see it; as stated above, I've become accustomed to the Stomps reacting instantly.

I also have changed my patches to use snapshots to effect block changes. Still deciding on whether or not to roll back to 2.12/

Well, I guess I'm wondering if we're observing the same thing, because what I noted was barely noticeable, imo. I had to check it like a dozen times to even really be sure. I can't imagine it being something I would ever notice in a real world situation where I was turning an effect block on. It seemed to me to be a very subtle ramp on, but it was very quick. I mean, there could be something else going on than what I'm speculating.

Well, I guess I'm wondering if we're observing the same thing, because what I noted was barely noticeable, imo. I had to check it like a dozen times to even really be sure. I can't imagine it being something I would ever notice in a real world situation where I was turning an effect block on. It seemed to me to be a very subtle ramp on, but it was very quick. I mean, there could be something else going on than what I'm speculating.

(So happy that quoting started working for me on the forum...)

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

For me, what it feels like is that I'm getting the result on the 'back half' of the switching - almost like it's on the release rather than the press.

But, in reality, it's that ramping.

And it might be a more pronounced dynamic dependent upon the classification of the block.

Overdrives seem to /really/ ramp in a pronounced way.

Modulations seemed... ramped, but more subtle.

The difference could be just in the nature of the sonic differences.

I've got quite a few patches which feature functions stacked onto stomp switches.

To me, those were more prone to potential 'popping' - and I'd tested a theory (successfully, I believe) which I'd meant to post about; I taught myself to stack the functions in an order which would be the least likely to cause any audible artifacts like popping.

Starting by deactivating any extra gain, then swapping turning downstream cabs on, then upstream ones off, then upstream amp off, downstream on, extra gain on... that type of thing.

It was quite successful.

Then, when converting those same functions to being Snapshots, I actually went about it in a similar fashion, /just/ in case it made a subtle difference in how the Snapshots came in audibly.

The result; my Snapshot versions of those changes were even MORE transparent/quiet/pop-free.

I was extremely impressed.

So, I guess that's why I feel like the stomp 'ramping' is the answer to a question I wouldn't have asked, and now am having my ears and 'feel' tugged on by the end result of the changes.

I truly hope it'll be reverted to the previous behaviour - at that point, I'd happily try to put together a posting to suggest how to stack changes to make them less 'pop' prone, as it seemed to work for me.

(So happy that quoting started working for me on the forum...)

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

For me, what it feels like is that I'm getting the result on the 'back half' of the switching - almost like it's on the release rather than the press.

But, in reality, it's that ramping.

And it might be a more pronounced dynamic dependent upon the classification of the block.

Overdrives seem to /really/ ramp in a pronounced way.

Modulations seemed... ramped, but more subtle.

The difference could be just in the nature of the sonic differences.

That's exactly how I'd describe the behavior I'm experiencing as well.

Having a problem getting external devices to see MIDI from instant commands.  I have 2.20 loaded, used different cables, and cycled through all possible channels, but I'm not getting pedals to see the messages.  I've also tried programming pc messages from the footswitches, but there is no response from downline devices.  

Regarding the stomp mode lag;

Frank Ritchotte has stated outright on The Gear Page that a v2.21 bug fix update is coming which addresses this; they found the issue and are correcting.

He actually stated we should see "better speed across the board" - sounds like some nice optimizing.

I'm not certain what other fixes are to be included in this update - just relaying what he posted directly to me on TGP.

Excellent - I'm ok with doing the upgrade procedure again to address this, especially knowing that a more efficient update methodology is on the horizon for us.

Regarding the stomp mode lag;

Frank Ritchotte has stated outright on The Gear Page that a v2.21 bug fix update is coming which addresses this; they found the issue and are correcting.

He actually stated we should see "better speed across the board" - sounds like some nice optimizing.

I'm not certain what other fixes are to be included in this update - just relaying what he posted directly to me on TGP.

Excellent - I'm ok with doing the upgrade procedure again to address this, especially knowing that a more efficient update methodology is on the horizon for us.

That's fantastic. Really happy with the Helix overall, and appreciate the level of support and continued development that Line 6 continues to offer. 

• Upvote 1