Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 questions. How do I use my Pod HD500X with my guitar cab?

EncoreBlade

Hey all.  So instead of using my usual headphone setup, I was wondering about connecting this to a cab?  I have a guitar cab that I haven't used in ages.  How do I go about using my Pod with the cab because I know you can't just plug it in...or can you?  I don't know.

2nd question.  Because of the El Capitan driver issue, I opted to buy a s/pdif cable and use that to record my pod to my interface, which thankfully has a digital in input.  Once Line 6 gets the driver working for El Capitan, would there be any benefits to recording via the USB input versus sticking with the s/pdif connection?  So far I haven't noticed anything different.

Hey all.  So instead of using my usual headphone setup, I was wondering about connecting this to a cab?  I have a guitar cab that I haven't used in ages.  How do I go about using my Pod with the cab because I know you can't just plug it in...or can you?  I don't know.

2nd question.  Because of the El Capitan driver issue, I opted to buy a s/pdif cable and use that to record my pod to my interface, which thankfully has a digital in input.  Once Line 6 gets the driver working for El Capitan, would there be any benefits to recording via the USB input versus sticking with the s/pdif connection?  So far I haven't noticed anything different.

You have a speaker cabinet but do you have an amplifier? You'll need an amplified speaker and the left analog out from the pod can be plugged into it. Then you just need to configure your output settings for the type of amplification your plugging into. As far as the settings go, it's all up to what you hear as to what setting your going to use. You should try them all to see what gives for your particular environment.

When I do record... I use SPDIF for recording, because: 1) I already have a good interface (PreSonus FP10) that I've had for years, 2) my monitors are already hooked up to the FP10,  and 3) I get less latency with the FP10.

That being said.. I don't there in there is any major difference sonically between the two. Use which ever is the easiest for you.

You don't need to buy a monster power amp either. I've used a Kustom Defender (5w tube) and it sounded great through a 1x12 closed back cab. Suprising how loud it was but that was for jamming around the house.

Wouldn't that mean you're putting a preamp through a preamp?  

You have a speaker cabinet but do you have an amplifier? You'll need an amplified speaker and the left analog out from the pod can be plugged into it. Then you just need to configure your output settings for the type of amplification your plugging into. As far as the settings go, it's all up to what you hear as to what setting your going to use. You should try them all to see what gives for your particular environment.

Time to go power amp shopping...

What kind of power amp should I be looking at?  I mean, I'm not looking to break the bank or anything, but I'd also rather avoid cheap quality crap too.  Also, if I were to connect it to the power amp+guitar cab, would signal still flow out from the Digital Out output so I can record and monitor through the cab at the same time?

Wouldn't that mean you're putting a preamp through a preamp?  

In the Defender's case, not really, there is not much in the way of a preamp there. Though it can be driven with pedal or such into distortion.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/kustom-defender-5h-guitar-amp-head

Just saying it depends what you are looking to do and how loud you want to go.

-B

What kind of power amp should I be looking at? I mean, I'm not looking to break the bank or anything, but I'd also rather avoid cheap quality crap too. Also, if I were to connect it to the power amp+guitar cab, would signal still flow out from the Digital Out output so I can record and monitor through the cab at the same time?

Like everything else in life, you can spend almost nothing, or a small fortune. You can go solid state (generally cheaper), or buy a tube power amp which will be considerably more expensive, and require periodic maintenance that ain't cheap. Check out Rocktron, they make a number of power amps that don't cost a fortune. There's also Electroharmonix, they make a power amp called the "44 Magnum", the size of a stomp-box and 44 watts. Never used one, so I can't vouch for the sound or volume, but they're out there.

As for monitoring the way you describe, yes you can...however, any given patch running full models into a DAW, and into a guitar cabinet at the same time, will yield 2 VERY different tones. What ends up getting recorded is not gonna sound anything like what's going on in the room.

I use a $20 set of computer speakers. 

They provide a decent sound for what I need them for when I need them for it. 

But, to answer the question, and to repeat what others have said: 

The HD500 does not power a cab. You need a way to power it (a power amp). What you need is really up to you and based on the requirements of yous cab. 

To his other question, yes SPDIF has lower latency as it shares with nothing else, unlike typical USB connections. I much prefer it over USB. Also, page 5 of System Setup allows you to route the guitar's dry signal (no amp/cab/FX) to SPDIF while the wet signal goes to the analog outputs, in case that's helpful to you. For example, you can monitor thru your cab with various FX while recording the dry guitar signal. Afterwards, during mixing you can process the dry signal thru soft guitar FX like Amplitube, TH2, or whatever you have. This gives you the freedom to try different cabs and FX without re-recording the guitar part.

It really depends what you like or what you need. For instance, when I want to practice I use a Jet City Picovalve and a JCA12S+ which totaled $270. This is a really bulletproof tube amp and sounds great when I run modeling through it. This way I don't use up my DT50HD's life.

I also have this cheap little stereo speaker cab with a little solid state stereo car amp that I threw together for practice, it actually kicks lollipop, lol. I spent $70 to put it together and I even made a rechargeable battery pack which will power it for hours (8 D Cell 10 amps), which I use to power some of my pedals, so it has a multi use not specific to this amp/cab combo.

I've found that if I power up my little Spider III 15 watt in test mode the modeling sounds great through it too. I think that amp was about $100 when I bought it in 2008. Still works great. Two of these would sound great for stereo from the Pod.

Electro Harmonix makes a pedal, I think it's called the 44 Mag and it might power your speaker cabinet. might be the cheapest and easiest thing to do in your case. Plus it's very compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtDRfIUyv0

​

• Upvote 1

Some folks turn the cab modelling off with a real cab. I keep it on and keep it set on tread/57on Through my 4x12 with celestion gt12-75s and it sounds incredible.

I bought a used Carvin dcm1000 (class a/b solid state) and i bridge both channels and get about 750w or so. Plenty enough to keep up with another guitar cab and drummer.

You could always just run it through the RETURN jack on the back of a regular guitar amp to bypass the preamp.