Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Hands on Reviews

oehman

I am really enjoying the Marshall amp models today. Playing through a small EV ZXA1 monitor and doing more playing than tweaking.

Through Sennheiser headphones, there's a little too much presence and high end, but it's fairly easy to dial out just using amp controls.

Favorite new feature--

Action.. copy block..paste block.

Let's say I have 5 presets with a delay. But I find a delay or setting that I like better. Copy it from one preset, go to the next and paste it over the old one. Save preset. Done.

Big time saver when I realized a had set a bunch of delays as stereo and really wanted mono.

• Upvote 1

Here is my list of likes and dislikes:

ANGL Meteor - I can get a nice distorted sound but cleans up a bit if I roll off the guitar volume.

SOLO Lead - I do not have a Soldano at hand for a side by side comparison, but it sounds as sweet as I remember the original.

German Ubersonic - What can I say, I'm a sucker for high gain.

WhoWatt model - I also like cleans, but I detest Fenders ;)

Copy/Paste function - My pet peeve with previous Line 6 gear (and other brands as well) has always been t have to redo my blocks every time I do a new patch. Now I just paste what I need.

Phones volume control on the Front!!! - No more bending over the gear to look for it on the back.

Harmony delay, Whammy - I like what they can do on the "Plug In Baby" and "Even Betta Than" patches.

No more output modes! - Now you can go into the board/PA *and* your guitar amp at the same time.

Variax integration - I know it's not a new feature in any way, but I have a Variax and would not get a Line 6 piece of gear without it anymore.

User Interface - I love how the most used parameters are usually on the first page, so no paging left/right unless you want one of the hidden features of the model... but it is there if you really want it.

Seamless integration with L2T, L2M, etc. - I also have an HD 500 and the HD does not sound nearly as good through the same L2T as the Helix. It looks to me like the HD was optimized for the DT series and the Helix was optimized for the L-series.

Joystick - Makes navigating the UI easier.

Scribble strips - I like that they show the model name when in pedal mode. Since some models share the same color LED ring, the strip is the best way yo tell them apart.

No wall-wart - This might sound like nit-picking, but the UPS I plug my guitar gear into has very closely spaced outlets, and wall-warts take 2-3 outlets each just because they are so large they partially cover the outlet to the left and right.

So many I/O options, so little time - I cannot conceive running out of I/Os with my current setup... and I have a vivid & twisted imagination.

Dislikes:

Complete lack of integration with DT series - I also have a DT50 and it is useless right now with the Helix because it will not control the topology. I read that there might be some level of integration on the next firmware version, but who knows how long that will take. It seems to me like Line 6 could have at least winged it by making the Helix output the appropriate MIDI commands to disable the preamp and switch topologies every time the amp model is switched on the Helix, even though that would require to add an extra MIDI cable to the setup (which doesn't seem unreasonable to me) but somehow they chose not to and now some DT users feel alienated.

Joystick - Yes, this is a "like" and a "dislike". Why would the UI have the Joystick rotate to change models, when the Joystick itself is too prone to rotating when pushed by the side? It seems that you have to grab it so that you can bank it left/right/up/down without rotating it, or master the art of pushing down and outwards at the edge in the direction you want to move... and not to press too hard, or the joystick will also register a down press.

Lack of kick bar - Yes, I saw the video of the test Helix getting the $h1t kicked out of it in the parking lot but the knobs still do not feel like they can take much abuse.

No clickety knobs - I got used to the click of the knobs in past Line 6 gear and I miss it. No biggie, though.

Still no "Guitar God-ifier" model - All this and I still have to have talent? pffft!! :P

• Upvote 2