Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

how to make volume level for diverence presets the same

Duckie162

Hi, there,

I have some problems to make the volume levels the same  for every preset.

at home i setup the volume  in the presets at almost 100%.

but there are so many diverence in level for each amp model.

so at live i have to change every preset every time.

can some tell me the right way to make t he same level volume for every  preset.

thanks.

There's no simple way to do this. You have to use the several volume controls available to you to manually balance the levels. These include the amp channel volume, the amp master volume, the VOL pedal and even the individual FX controls. Do not use the device master volume to balance preset levels; the device master volume should be set once, appropriate for the venue and guitar mix in the band.

I recommend that you start with the lowest volume amps/presets. These are generally your clean tones. Set the amp master volume (which affects tone) and the amp channel volume (which doesn't affect tone) to the desired output levels so that you can switch among these presets with little or no apparent volume differences. The amp channel volume should be relatively high here in order to set the stage for balancing the louder tones. Then move on to the mid-level tones, usually your crunch tones. Again, use the amp channel/master controls to set preset volume levels to match the clean tones. Typically you would lower your amp channel volume as the main control. Finally, set the high-gain/lead tones in the same way, reducing the amp channel volume to suit. Let your ears be your guide as you listen to all presets one at a time and balance the levels individually.

I'd advise doing this at gig volume if you can because the louder your amp the more difference between patch volumes (as you probably already noticed) at rehearsal just hit the main volume control twice so that the led's are pink and use that to adjust patch volume, if some of your patches are maxed out on the pink led's you may have to dial them all back a bit to give yourself some headroom when balancing the patches, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE before you switch patches to compare (I do that so many times I want to beat myself up)

Also make sure your amp is plenty loud as there is always a tendency to keep pushing the patch volume up because louder sounds better, just need to be strong willed with that one

One more tip, probably more for future reference but whenever I get a new pedal board first thing I do is make 3 stock tones, a clean, crunch, and solo patch, then I spend considerable time balancing their volumes so it's just right, then whenever I make a new tone I use these as starting points or at least use them as a reference to how loud a new tone should be in comparison, sometimes I can balance patches with headphones if I have the 3 base tones to compare as I know they were created at high volume

Hope that makes some sense

As far as quiet clean tones go don't forget you can use the compressor to boost it a bit though it may alter the tone and/or dynamics

• 2 weeks later...

I'd advise doing this at gig volume if you can because the louder your amp the more difference between patch volumes (as you probably already noticed) at rehearsal just hit the main volume control twice so that the led's are pink and use that to adjust patch volume, if some of your patches are maxed out on the pink led's you may have to dial them all back a bit to give yourself some headroom when balancing the patches, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE before you switch patches to compare (I do that so many times I want to beat myself up)

Also make sure your amp is plenty loud as there is always a tendency to keep pushing the patch volume up because louder sounds better, just need to be strong willed with that one

One more tip, probably more for future reference but whenever I get a new pedal board first thing I do is make 3 stock tones, a clean, crunch, and solo patch, then I spend considerable time balancing their volumes so it's just right, then whenever I make a new tone I use these as starting points or at least use them as a reference to how loud a new tone should be in comparison, sometimes I can balance patches with headphones if I have the 3 base tones to compare as I know they were created at high volume

Hope that makes some sense

As far as quiet clean tones go don't forget you can use the compressor to boost it a bit though it may alter the tone and/or dynamics

Hi.

Is there any simple (quick) way to save changed parameters (e.g. preset volume) or do I have to use the Remote app, select the "Save to Firehawk FX" -option and then select the right bank/slot for the preset?

Feels quite cumbersome if it is so.

Is it possible to save without Remote app?

Thanks in advance

Yes. After making changes, hold down the footswitch of the active preset for a couple of seconds. The display will start blinking. Release the switch, then hold it down again for a couple of seconds. When the display stops blinking the preset has been saved in its original location.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I just got my firehawk fx and I am sort of having issues with this. I am using the tweed man in a 'tom petty' patch and the amp volume without a stomp pedal seems SO LOW. Even with the volume maxed on the amp channel. Given that this is the lowest volume one I have, I need to go through the rest of my presets and bring them all way down to suit. 

• 1 year later...

Actually, I would suggest saving the change in a different location, one of the user banks, perhaps. You want to permanently alter the original tone. That would be a bit foolish, don''t you think? That is, unless of course, you want to go through the entire board and level the volume of every preset, seems a bit tedious to me. I think, in many ways, this is a fault in the device. One wouldn't think you would have to go through all the presets and adjust the volumes so that you can use them seamlessly and without killing your cat.

Even if you are simply doing this for a gig, and I would also advise doing it at gig volume, it would still be a tedious and monotonous task even to edit enough tones to fill the 5 FS's. Perhaps you could do it in banks. All the same,  and I take what silverhead states--many of the louder tones are dependent upon the gain. Accordingly, if you lower the volume you will lose the nature of the tone. The only way I've found to avoid this is to adjust the volume of the amp I am actually playing, and that in itself isn't realistic in a live situation. I think, in some ways, the Firehawk FX has been sorely demonstrated. All the videos I've seen the player just soars through the effects as if there is no discrepancy in the volume, and we know this now not to be true. Retailers edit your videos, they are misleading.

Again, that said, I do see the Firehawk being a good tool for recording situations, but he whole idea that you use it live and just blow from one effect to another without any volume inconsistencies is bogus and far to tedious for anyone, or at least me, to consider.

Franklly, one might call it a bug, but I don't know that it can be fixed except to say it's a reason to using individual effects petals. So I don't know--in the end you always get what you pay for.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I just got my Firehawk FX and I'm volume matching all the presets now.  My process seems to working pretty well.  I'm running the Firehawk into my computer for recording in Reaper.  The goal here is to get all the presets to a volume of -18db in Reaper.  I have the main volume knob (the big knob) on the Firehawk at 25%.  My guitar's volume knob is all the way up.  Here's my process:

Each time I click on a new preset, I raise the volume pedal and lower it again so I'm sure I'm at full volume.  You have to do this each time you go to a new preset.  After that I look at my signal chain on the Firehawk app to see which block comes last in the chain -- the Volume or the Amp/Cab.  I open whichever one is last and lower that volume until Reaper reads -18db.  If it's the amp/cab, I lower the Volume setting, not the Master setting as changing the Master setting changes the tone.  Once I'm at -18db, I hold the preset footswitch down for a few seconds until the preset name starts blinking, then I hold the footswitch down again for a few seconds to save my changes.  When it stops blinking, it is saved.

That's it.  It's tedious, but it works and it preserves the original tone/sound.  At least now my ears won't get blown off every time I switch from a quiet or clean tone to something heavy.  I hope this helps someone.  Rock on.

Sandy 

• Thanks 1