Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix Updating Firmware Experience

zskylar

I received my Helix today from GC. Attempted to run the firmware updater from a Windows 7 desktop and it failed during the update. I tried all the usual reboots, power down, reinstalls, etc. No dice. Screen was stuck on the latest firmware number but then indicates boot failure. I was sure it was bricked. Luckily I also have a Mac pre Yosemite. The update did succeed on the Mac first try and Helix app also seems fine. I feel lucky to have had an alternative install method.

• 5 years later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:50 PM, giuliomao said:

Hi, I was updating Helix and now it writes me boot failure. Entered Update mode!
What should I do???
Thanks

2 hours ago, tommyhoeg said:

the same happened to me. did you find a solution?

Note: This thread was started in October 2015. Lucky I spotted it!

Also, when seeking assistance on the forum it is advisable to supply as much information as possible as to what your computer and operating system is and what version of the firmware you are updating from. If you are using a Mac running Big Sur the warnings were emailed to Line 6 customers prior to the firmware being available- there is also a notice in the big orange banner at the top of this page.

Meanwhile, I will repost (yet again) the official “fix it” from the Updating Helix/HX notes.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer

The full install instructions, from which I took this, are posted here - please take note of the information at the beginning in bright red letters.

Hope this helps/makes sense.