Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Allen key size for JTV69s string height adjustment?

Hi all,

I just bought a JTV-69s and the setup from the shop was terrible. Line 6 supplied a set of Allen keys, but none of them fit the tiny screws in the string saddles on the bridge (FAIL Line6!). The one from my old Variax 700 is too big. Does anyone know what size they are? I will have to buy one. 

cheers

Simon

P.S. The complete lack of information in the manual on any aspect of setting up or maintaining the guitar is a joke. Have a look at the Fender page on how it should be done - http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide/ 

Thanks Martin,

The set did have 7 wrenches. I saw a previous post that also mentioned the wrong sizes were included.

It is a pity Full Compass don't say what sizes they are.

If all else fails, I'll take the guitar to a great shop in town called "Nuts and Bolts" that sells everything related to nuts and bolts. They may have something. But that means waiting till Monday. I was hoping to duck into the local hardware tomorrow.

Much appreciated though.

S. :-)

I found the sizes in the "Accessories included with James Tyler Variax Guitars" article in the Line 6 Knowledge Base:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/accessories-included-with-james-tyler-variax-gu-r152

Allen wrench sizes:

1 - 1.5mm hex
1 - 4mm hex
1 - 5/64" hex
1 - 7/64" hex
1 - 3/32" hex
1 - 0.050" hex

Thanks for digging out that info Martin. They are indeed the sizes of the wrenches supplied with the guitar. Unfortunately the smallest one is slightly too small for the job. It grips just well enough to lower the action too much, but not well enough to adjust it back up to playability.

Therein lies the story and the basis of my sense of urgency.   :-(

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for digging out that info Martin. They are indeed the sizes of the wrenches supplied with the guitar. Unfortunately the smallest one is slightly too small for the job. It grips just well enough to lower the action too much, but not well enough to adjust it back up to playability.

Therein lies the story and the basis of my sense of urgency.   :-(

Cheers

Simon

Did you try the 1.5 mm hex?

The 1.5mm would be equal to 0.059" which is slightly larger than the 0.050" you tried and said was too small.

I looked over at the StewMac website and see they have this Allen wrench set with 20 different sizes.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Wrenches/Ball-End_Hex_Keys.html

Thanks again Martin, but I have SOLVED the issue.

I took the guitar to a friend's house. He has a great collection of tools. We found a wrench that fit perfectly, and to my surprise it measured as 0.050" (well, 0.0485-0.052 across various facets). I borrowed it. I re-measured my own wrench and got essentially the same values across the flats, but it was still loose in the screw! WTF?, as they say. Then I had a close look at my own wrench (the one supplied with the guitar) with a magnifier and found that the ends had been rounded over so that it no longer gripped. Presumably someone in the shop had done a tuneup too vigorously and damaged the wrench.

So the upshot is that the Allen wrench sizes supplied were correct, i.e.

1 - 1.5mm hex
1 - 4mm hex
1 - 5/64" hex
1 - 7/64" hex
1 - 3/32" hex
1 - 0.050" hex

But the smallest one was damaged on arrival.

Chinese crap tools!  You can cut the end off to fix a boogered allen wrench.  I use a dremel cutoff wheel.  I have a nice set of both metric and allen wrenches that are not made in China!  You need very hard steel to make the small ones so that they don't just round off the first time you use them.

• 4 years later...

my 69s is [i was told by shop] made in sth korea. 

1/ i also have trouble finding the correct allen key size to adjust action lugs

2/ during an international flight with my axe one of the action adjustment lugs [grub screws] rattled lose and is MIA. 

anyone know the SIZE of these grub screws so i can buy replacements?

Or WHERE i can buy them [i live in Osaka Japan, so internet option is best for me].

i agree with several other people who said that there is a TOTAL LACK OF SPEC INFO ON THE JAMES TYLER/LINE 6 WEBSITE. Ridiculous!! and UNPROFESSIONAL! 

it is not like the info on hex wrench sizes or grub screw widths is patented trade secret! WTF!

Thanks,

GOTH

ps, any info on setting the correct amount on floating bridge height on 69s is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, goth-carter said:

my 69s is [i was told by shop] made in sth korea. 

1/ i also have trouble finding the correct allen key size to adjust action lugs

2/ during an international flight with my axe one of the action adjustment lugs [grub screws] rattled lose and is MIA. 

anyone know the SIZE of these grub screws so i can buy replacements?

Or WHERE i can buy them [i live in Osaka Japan, so internet option is best for me].

i agree with several other people who said that there is a TOTAL LACK OF SPEC INFO ON THE JAMES TYLER/LINE 6 WEBSITE. Ridiculous!! and UNPROFESSIONAL! 

it is not like the info on hex wrench sizes or grub screw widths is patented trade secret! WTF!

Thanks,

GOTH

ps, any info on setting the correct amount on floating bridge height on 69s is appreciated.

As far as the hex wrenches, the sizes for the different things on each model are listed here: 

As far as the little screws, I’d suggest you open up a support ticket. I imagine Line 6 will gladly send you what you need.