Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider iii stopped with fbv2

anydmusic

Done all the obvious things like use a different cable and reset the amp. Contacted support they could not help. Repair company says that they have never seen the problem before and sending it to them plus the non refundable investigation fee is nearly half the cost of a new amp. Desperate to know if anyone else has had this problem and can it be fixed.

Can you change the channels manually with the buttons on the amp?  If so, then the problem woudl seeem to be in the amp-cable connection, or in the software.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the amp, it would not beworth trying to get repaired.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hmmm, this may be similar to the problem my 9 year old Spider III 120 just developed.  I use an FBV Shortboard MkII with it.  Recently the expression pedal quit working.  It won't even calibrate. Volume is stuck at zero, but you can get it to switch into wah mode but can't mess with the wah.  I just tried a new Shortboard thinking it could be the sensor in it, but no change.  I'm thinking the amp itself may be toast.  The bad news is, this happened just before a gig, and I've got another one tomorrow.  I can kind of limp through using the volume control on the guitar, but that's tricky after using a pedal for so many years.

Yes, repairs these days on SS amps with processors in them can get expensive.  Not like the old days when you could get a valve head re-capped, new power transformer put in for $100 by some guy working out of his garage shop. 

Like everything else electric/electronic it's all 'disposable'. :rolleyes:

One thing you can look at is check the ports and see if all the cat5 pins are still straight. If one is askew the signal path is broken, you might be able to line it up again.

If you know the 2nd FBV is good and tried a different cable with no luck a bent pin on the amp is hopefully it.

Wishing you some luck!

B