Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I make a foot switch swap cab for IR?

jaminjimlp

How do I make a foot switch swap cab for IR?

basically I want the same foot switch to turn off one and on the other so the Cab and the cab IR are not "on" at the same time and at least one of them is always on.

Also I want to use 2 IR's in the same preset but it wont let me add another one to the chain example: I want to use the Taylor Guitar IR in the beginning of the chain and use the Scum Back Cab IR after the Amp... I might need to start another topic for this part...

One way would be to assign the parameter 'route to' of an A/B split to a switch with a min value of B 100 and a max value of A 100. Put the cab on one path and the IR on the other. You could also use the expression pedal for this if you want a smoother transition between the cab and IR.

Another way might be to put the cab and IR in series and assign both of them to a footswitch. Enable one, disable the other and save the patch. Now when you hit the footswitch it will toggle between the two.

For the 2 IRs in the same preset problem you're having, you're probably running into the DSP limit of one processor. Take the output of path 1 and direct it to path 2 and move some stuff from path 1 to path 2.

• Upvote 1

One way would be to assign the parameter 'route to' of an A/B split to a switch with a min value of B 100 and a max value of A 100. Put the cab on one path and the IR on the other. You could also use the expression pedal for this if you want a smoother transition between the cab and IR.

Another way might be to put the cab and IR in series and assign both of them to a footswitch. Enable one, disable the other and save the patch. Now when you hit the footswitch it will toggle between the two.

For the 2 IRs in the same preset problem you're having, you're probably running into the DSP limit of one processor. Take the output of path 1 and direct it to path 2 and move some stuff from path 1 to path 2.

As far as using the expression pedal that would work but I did not want to lose the expression pedal to be able to be used for a Wawa I have an external expression pedal that I bought guitar center mission engineering one and I wanted it to be for a volume pedal but the other two suggestions sound like they would probably work and I am going to try those thank you

It's way simpler than that.

1. Assign both the Cab block (use separate Amp and Cab blocks here) and IR block to the same footswitch.
  2. Touch the footswitch to make sure one of its blocks is selected and press BYPASS. Pressing the footswitch will toggle the enabled/bypass state for both blocks.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up a *really* old thread but I was looking for how to do this exact thing and found this answer and tried it.  Required a lot of fooling around to finally get the bypass set for both cab and IR to allow the switching but I finally seemed to get it to work as desired/expected.  However, whenever I use the footswitch to make the switch to toggle between cab and IR I get the prompt that the preset has been edited and needs to be saved  :huh:

Sorry to dig up a *really* old thread but I was looking for how to do this exact thing and found this answer and tried it.  Required a lot of fooling around to finally get the bypass set for both cab and IR to allow the switching but I finally seemed to get it to work as desired/expected.  However, whenever I use the footswitch to make the switch to toggle between cab and IR I get the prompt that the preset has been edited and needs to be saved  :huh:

I have never seen a prompt on the Helix that says the preset has been edited and needs to be saved. Can you post a pic of the screen shot?

It's not a prompt per se, it's the indicator that the preset has been changed, a small E by the preset name on the Helix, an asterisk in the editor.  I wouldn't expect to see that every time I switch between cab/IR.

Every time you press any footswitch on a preset, move expression pedal, etc, something has changed. Helix is telling you if you want to recall in "this" state you need to save.

Once you have your preset saved the way you want it to open, ignore the E...

It's not a prompt per se, it's the indicator that the preset has been changed, a small E by the preset name on the Helix, an asterisk in the editor.  I wouldn't expect to see that every time I switch between cab/IR.

Yeah, if you do anything to the preset besides just play your guitar into it, you get the edited indicator. It kind of throws you off if you can't remember whether you tweaked a setting, but you definitely hit a footswitch. Usually, I don't want to save if I just hit footswitches, I want to return to the original settings the next time I recall the preset. And you just ignore it in that case.

Here are the full steps for next time:

1. Use the joystick to select the cab block. Touch-hold the desired Stomp mode footswitch and press Knob 6 (OK).
  2. Use the joystick to select the IR block. Touch-hold the same switch and press Knob 6 (OK). The scribble strip will read "MULTIPLE (2)".
  3. While one of the two blocks is selected, press BYPASS. This bypasses one block but not the other. At this point, pressing the stomp switch will toggle between the cab and IR. TIP: Touching that footswitch repeatedly will now instantly jump between the cab and IR parameters, so you no longer need to use the joystick for block selection.

Ignore the E.

Yeah, the superscripted "E" appearing on the Helix display to the right of the Preset's Name. It likely stands for "Edited." Familiar to word processing users for many years, it is a subtle notification that something has been changed, altered, or modified since the Preset has been loaded. If you do not intentionally, Press the Save Button and Confirm (Press the Save Button again) none of the changes are preserved when you reload the same Preset.

Thanks for the replies.  Yeah, I knew the E meant edited and that surprised me since I am not editing the preset, I'm using it.  Switching a footswitch to use the preset and change between cabs, etc. just struck me as an odd thing to trigger that.  Haven't noticed that it does or does not do the same thing if say I kick on an effect in a preset but based on what rzumwalt replied, it will.  Essentially any action at all within a preset while in use would trigger the notification, which as I said strikes me as odd behavior.

I know what you mean by it seeming odd, but clearly turning blocks on and off changes the preset, in a way you might, or might not, want to save. The logical consequence is that you modified the preset, and Helix indicates that.

What I REALLY wish is for a Compare button, to toggle between the saved and currently edited version of the patch. Would be really useful, to check if your edits are an improvement or not, and to see what the settings​ used to be.

• Upvote 2

What I REALLY wish is for a Compare button, to toggle between the saved and currently edited version of the patch. Would be really useful, to check if your edits are an improvement or not, and to see what the settings​ used to be.

That's a great idea. Is there an IdeaScale entry for this? I'd vote for it.

My old AX2 could do that!

Craig