Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I found this thread and I think it's worth a read for every Helix users

pinoy1

good read .... did ya happen to get that kemper IR he made?!?!?! for some reason he took it down and the link don't work....

I bought the Ownhammer modern pack last year and there is so many to chose from it's kinda mind boggling... I need to find an easier way to load them in to the Helix as one at a time is tedious.

I need to find an easier way to load them in to the Helix as one at a time is tedious.

you can select as many IR's as you want and drag them all into the editor at once.  Just place your cursor at the first block you want to start loading them and they all drop in sequentially.

• Upvote 1

you can select as many IR's as you want and drag them all into the editor at once.  Just place your cursor at the first block you want to start loading them and they all drop in sequentially.

They don't drop sequentially, unless you rename the IRs with numbered prefixes, 001-, 002-, etc. And when dropped onto the Helix application the renamed IRs have to match the slots you're putting them in.

They don't drop sequentially, unless you rename the IRs with numbered prefixes, 001-, 002-, etc. And when dropped onto the Helix application the renamed IRs have to match the slots you're putting them in.

That is not my experience.  I selected ten to twenty at a time, no renaming and they transferred just as I described.  Obviously others are having a different experience.

Using Windows 10 on my laptop.

That is not my experience.  I selected ten to twenty at a time, no renaming and they transferred just as I described.  Obviously others are having a different experience.

Using Windows 10 on my laptop.

Interesting. I have no problem transferring a block of IRs at one time either. Are they in the order you want them to be in on Helix? Or, is the order you see your block of IRs in Win10's file manager the same order you see them on Helix?

Interesting. I have no problem transferring a block of IRs at one time either. Are they in the order you want them to be in on Helix? Or, is the order you see your block of IRs in Win10's file manager the same order you see them on Helix?

They drop in the same order they are in file manager.  Perhaps if they already have a numerical prefix to their name they will drop in a specific Helix slot but otherwise just sequentially as in file manager.

Fascinating thread in TGP! They made IR's from the Kemper and loaded them into the Helix.

Yes indeed!  And what got my attention was the reaction from the Kemper users after he A/B helix (with the IR from Kemper) and Kemper.  Most of them CANNOT even tell the difference and were impressed with the tone coming out of Helix. 

@jam... check out this video on youtube: 

I believe the uploader of the video has the IR you're looking for.  Maybe, you can ask him to share it here.  

he said it was in the discription but that was to TGP and it aint there no more... I asked .... we will see... you guys will be the first to know.

Very interesting indeed!

On the flip side of the coin, I've mainly experimented with "tone matching" the front end. My with experiments  to recreate my Mark V's "Extreme" preamp have been very successful in that substituting it with the Cali preamp could fool anybody.  Note that in my 4CM experiments, I was using a single, real-life cab with a looper, so I basically got to rule out the cab sim/IR factor.  In short, it proved to me that the Helix was a keeper, and I'm wont for nothing at this point. 

Even if Helix or any other modeler's cab, preamp or other simulation is not spot-on, the room I'm in will most likely have a bigger impact.  The mixing board EQ, my mood, the humidity levels, how large a crowd is - all these factors will have an impact on tone that the listener will here first.  Not to disparage the in depth and valuable testing and analysis - I love to do it too when I have time and am REALLY grateful that other folks are putting in that time.   My point is that when it comes down to such a minute level of sonic differences, that there are so many other factors at play that the disparities found in lab-like testing become almost moot in real life.   I haven't yet experimented with much direct work with the Helix yet,  but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I do find insufficient low-end resonance, I'll simply season it either with some pre-cab EQ, some global EQ, or just let the sound-guy do it.  The Helix, AxeFX and Kemper units are such great tools that they *feel* good, and that makes the player - the MOST important factor, play better.  

FWIW,  for the rare pro-studio work that I do do (I said doodoo) , none of the recording engineers that I work with would EVER let me record with a cab sim.

Just my .02 spacebucks...