Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix spdif very quiet

joetink

Has anyone had an issue with their spdif volume being way too low?  I can't hear 1/4 of the volume from the Helix through my monitors as I do any other track, and that's with the volume blasted all the way up.  I plug in the old HD500, and it's plenty loud.  Plug in Helix, and It's horribly quiet.  Anyone have any ideas?

I also have a help desk ticket open because my computer won't recognize Helix as being connected when I try to use the Helix edit app or the Line 6 updater.  

Thanks for any help!

Joe

I find it is quieter relative to the other outputs. Have to set Helix's volume control at max when using spdif where the 1/4" outs I'll put on 12:00. No biggie. But something about the spdif seems a little more balanced than the analog outputs. It could be my imagination though.

I have to set the volume knob all the way up and also adjust the output gain control for spdif almost all the way just to get to the volume of xlr out at half volume. Doesn't seem right to me. And yes, I agree it gives a much more balanced sound.

• 1 month later...

I didn't notice any difference in the SPDIF output with 1.04.0. I still get an occasional 1-3 second total audio dropout from this output, usually after Helix has been on for about 45-60 minutes, but I still haven't narrowed down if it's actually the output on Helix that's dropping out, or something in between that and the speakers.

Did you do a global reset (9 & 10 while powering on, make sure to backup everything first!)?

And yes, I did a global reset, but that doesn't make any difference, SPDIF volume is app. half (or less) XLR volume.

How is the SPDIF volume compared to the "Line" level output on the XLR (as opposed to the "Mic" level)? I would expect the "Mic" level to be louder than the SPDIF. Sounds like there is an issue with the overall SPDIF volume though.

• 5 months later...

I believe the intention for the SPD/IF to be unity gain. You might need to use a gain plugin in your DAW to adjust to meet your needs, or the needs of the plugins in the track effect chain. S-Gear has an input gain control which I turn all the way up for Helix SPD/IF or dry USB.

The gain seems low to me to, but if it's unity gain, I'd rather have it low than high to avoid digital clipping.

• 3 years later...

Hi, Its 2019 and I'm having the same problem. I couldn't get sync lock at all and was going insane when I pulled out the USB cable connected to my HX Edit laptop and it suddenly synced. I thought USB and SPDIF should work together. Having thought I had some sort of fix, I am getting incredibly low signal despite cranking everything up, i still had to normalise my test track and to cap it all, the sound is badly distorted, and not in a good way. I have raised a ticket but would be interested to know how anyone here may have overcome or solved these SPDIF issues.