Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Maroon 5 - Moves like Jagger fade in

ivsaken

I'm looking for some ideas to emulate the tone/volume fade in on Moves like jagger. Is there a way to get the expression peddle to control the tone maybe with a flanger in the back? Any idea would be great to help out trying to emulate this like the CD.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm more trying to get some ideas on how to emulate how when the guitar comes back in there is an effect like it's rolling back off the tone knob while the volume is increasing. I can use the exp pedal for the volume, but i haven't been able to come up with any type of tone type swell.

I'm more trying to get some ideas on how to emulate how when the guitar comes back in there is an effect like it's rolling back off the tone knob while the volume is increasing. I can use the exp pedal for the volume, but i haven't been able to come up with any type of tone type swell.

You can assign the amp parameters (bass, trebble, mids, etc) to the same EXP pedal. Maybe start with the presence and treble at a low value when the pedal is at 0% and increase to the desired value once you hit 100%.  

You can also add a flanger and change the mix as you adjust he pedal. Or you can use an EQ and adjust the parameters with the EXP pedal. Etc.  As pianoguyy said, it's pretty flexible.  I'm not sure of the best approach, but you have many options to get you there with the EXP pedal.

You can assign the amp parameters (bass, trebble, mids, etc) to the same EXP pedal. Maybe start with the presence and treble at a low value when the pedal is at 0% and increase to the desired value once you hit 100%.  

You can also add a flanger and change the mix as you adjust he pedal. Or you can use an EQ and adjust the parameters with the EXP pedal. Etc.  As pianoguyy said, it's pretty flexible.  I'm not sure of the best approach, but you have many options to get you there with the EXP pedal.

Can the exp pedal be controlling more than one effect at once?

Can the exp pedal be controlling more than one effect at once?

Yes, the exp pedal can control many parameters at once.  I don't know what the limit is, but I've had patches where Increasing the exp pedal decreased the bass, increased the mids, increased the drive and decreased the volume.  The intention was to add more drive and cut in the mix but keep the overall volume consistent.

Try playing around with it and you should be able to do what you want.

Keep in mind: if you use the toe button to turn on/off an effect you'll leave the guitar in whatever settings are in the "up" position when the button is pressed.

For example: I use EXP1 to increase drive/decrease volume and I use EXP 2 to control the time of a big reverb for ambient swells (using an external volume pedal). When I push the toe button to switch to EXP2 it engages the reverb.  That means whatever settings are at the "top" of EXP1 will remain when I switch over to EXP2.  Knowing this, I set EXP1 to be clean at the top and dirty on the bottom (because I want the guitar to be clean for my swells) so as I push down on my heel, the drive increases and the volume decreases. This is trivial to do - just set the drive bigger at 0% of the EXP and smaller at 100% of the EXP (and do the opposite for volume).

Hope that makes sense.

...Yes, the exp pedal can control many parameters at once.  I don't know what the limit is, ....

Over 50 parameters can be assigned to EXP 1, EXP 2, Variax volume knob, or Variax tone knob, each with separate min and max values, and saved per preset.

I was able to figure out how to assign an effect to the exp through the controllers tab. Using an EQ and rolling everything off seems to get the effect I was lookign for. I still can't for the life of me figure how to to keep assigning multiple effect to that one exp patch though =(.

assigning multiple effect params on a single controller using only hd500:

ditto using HD500 "Edit"

1.Select FX

2.Select PARAMETER

3.Select CONTROLLER + define max,min values

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9khjzrj1c9i11i3/Assign-multi-params.png

I think I've got that part, but now say on top of that Tube Drive I also want to control an EQ parameter. Is that possible?

I think I've got that part, but now say on top of that Tube Drive I also want to control an EQ parameter. Is that possible?

Yes, you repeat the process for each effect (select the FX, select the parameter, select the controller + define min/max values). You only edit the values for 1 parameter of 1 effect at a time. You repeat this process for each separate parameter for an effect you wish to control (just change the parameter pull-down menu and modify the desired min/max values) and again for each separate FX you wish to control (once again, repeat for each separate parameter you wish to control for that FX). 

For example:

1.) Select Tube Drive FX.  Select Drive parameter.  Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values.  

2.) Select Tube Drive FX (or leave it if it was already selected).  Select Volume parameter.  Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values.  

3.) Select EQ FX. Select High parameter (or equivalent for that EQ). Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values

4.) Select EQ FX (or leave it if it was already selected). Select Mid parameter (or equivalent for that EQ). Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values

In this example, you would be adjust the Drive and volume for the Tube driver and the High and Mid values for the EQ every time you adjust the EXP1 pedal. When the heel is down, it will be the "Min" value you entered for each and when the toe is down it will be the "max" value you entered for each.  In between the heel and toe, it will be some value in-between the min/max values you selected based on where you leave the pedal.

Yes, you repeat the process for each effect (select the FX, select the parameter, select the controller + define min/max values). You only edit the values for 1 parameter of 1 effect at a time. You repeat this process for each separate parameter for an effect you wish to control (just change the parameter pull-down menu and modify the desired min/max values) and again for each separate FX you wish to control (once again, repeat for each separate parameter you wish to control for that FX). 

For example:

1.) Select Tube Drive FX.  Select Drive parameter.  Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values.  

2.) Select Tube Drive FX (or leave it if it was already selected).  Select Volume parameter.  Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values.  

3.) Select EQ FX. Select High parameter (or equivalent for that EQ). Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values

4.) Select EQ FX (or leave it if it was already selected). Select Mid parameter (or equivalent for that EQ). Select the EXP1 controller and enter desired min/max values

In this example, you would be adjust the Drive and volume for the Tube driver and the High and Mid values for the EQ every time you adjust the EXP1 pedal. When the heel is down, it will be the "Min" value you entered for each and when the toe is down it will be the "max" value you entered for each.  In between the heel and toe, it will be some value in-between the min/max values you selected based on where you leave the pedal.

OH! I was expecting to see more blocks added under the controller area. I'll try this out thanks guys!

OH! I was expecting to see more blocks added under the controller area. I'll try this out thanks guys!

One other thing to be careful of - if you modify the settings via HD Edit, it can be difficult to test the EXP settings because if you move the pedal, it will de-select the controller in HD Edit.  I actually prefer to modify  the EXP parameters on the actual HD500 itself (double click on the "down" button when the desired FX is selected and you can edit the controllers there with the various knobs under the screen).  In this case you can move the pedal up and down to test the values but it will keep the controller edit settings on the HD500 device screen.  Plus, if you change the values at the max/min pedal position, it will update them in real time so you can hear them yourself.  

By contrast - if you edit using HD Edit, the changes don't take place until you actually move the pedal (which in turn will de-select the edit controls in HD Edit).  That means you have to edit the setting - move the pedal (i.e. move it off max and then put it back to max), listen to the value then you have to reselect the FX & parameter in HD Edit again before you can change the value.  Then you you have to move the pedal again to get it to take effect... It's annoying, which is why I edit the EXP parameters on the pedal itself.

One other thing to be careful of - if you modify the settings via HD Edit, it can be difficult to test the EXP settings because if you move the pedal, it will de-select the controller in HD Edit.  I actually prefer to modify  the EXP parameters on the actual HD500 itself (double click on the "down" button when the desired FX is selected and you can edit the controllers there with the various knobs under the screen).  In this case you can move the pedal up and down to test the values but it will keep the controller edit settings on the HD500 device screen.  Plus, if you change the values at the max/min pedal position, it will update them in real time so you can hear them yourself.  

By contrast - if you edit using HD Edit, the changes don't take place until you actually move the pedal (which in turn will de-select the edit controls in HD Edit).  That means you have to edit the setting - move the pedal (i.e. move it off max and then put it back to max), listen to the value then you have to reselect the FX & parameter in HD Edit again before you can change the value.  Then you you have to move the pedal again to get it to take effect... It's annoying, which is why I edit the EXP parameters on the pedal itself.

God no wonder I couldn't figure this out! Thanks for the advice I'll play with this some tonight.