Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unity Gain Setting - signal to noise

archisc

• 3 weeks later...

Helix would be the same. If the VOLUME knob is maxed and your Merge > Mixer and Output blocks are set to unity, the signal should be unity all the way through (assuming you've set your Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Levels appropriately).

So it seems that unity gain is all the way up on the Master Volume which let me keepp send/rtn on the Helix at 0 and and my att. on the amp's adjustable loop way down....it made a huge difference ....Thx Dig_I

Aaargh, the Helix has such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to knobs and controls for volume attenuation I am finding myself confused.

I may well be misunderstanding DI's post but it sounds like the Helix should be run with the large physical volume knob turned all the way up and the "Level" parameter on the merge/mixer/output block set to 0% for unity gain (all other things being equal). Is this correct? This would be a serious change to the way I operate the Helix as I assumed unity for the large physical "Volume" knob would be with the white line straight up at 50%.

I am wondering what or if there is a generally best method to level a preset using the following controls:

1. The physical large volume control at the top of the Helix,
  2. The "Level" control on the output block
  3. The "Level" control on effects
  4. The "Ch Vol" on amps.
  5. The "Master Vol" on amps.

What is the ideal method or rule of thumb for combining the settings (level of attenuation) on each of the five kinds of controls above for achieving unity gain or just the best sound? Including the "Master Vol" probably throws a monkey wrench into the question but it does have a profound impact on a preset's overall volume so I thought I would include it. 

Additionally this is probably a dumb question but I wanted to confirm that my understanding of the "Ch Vol" on amp blocks is correct. Does the "Ch Vol" in essence alter the ratio of amp block volume to the rest of the amps/effects in the preset? It is my understanding that the "Master" and "Drive" settings are what determine the grit and volume of the amp (like a physical amp).  I would expect a significant increase in "Ch Vol" to have a psychoacoustic effect but outside of that it should not alter the amp's tone or grit, etc.. In other words, how do I ideally balance the "Ch Vol" to the output block volume and the physical Volume control?

I guess at the core my question is how do I appropriately balance/use the "Ch Vol" setting on amp blocks, the "Level" setting on the output block, the large physical volume knob, and all the other available controls that impact a preset's volume?

It wouldn't be a problem if there is a meter at each amp and pedal...

The Master is not a Volume control according.. but a control of Master stage distortion.. so where is the true master Volume of the power amp?

It be nice to have

Pre amp Vol and distortion control

Power amp Vol and distortion control

In this fashion, everyone is clear...

I've been setting the big hardware Output knob to 50% so that once my presets are all created and balanced I have a way to increase or decrease my overall volume depending on the room. I'm playing into a pair of CLR's so I need the ability to control output from the source instead deal with it on the back of those two cab's.

Is there any disadvantage to not keeping the Output knob up all the way? Am I working with a handicapped headroom situation doing it the way I am right now?

Helix would be the same. If the VOLUME knob is maxed and your Merge > Mixer and Output blocks are set to unity, the signal should be unity all the way through (assuming you've set your Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Levels appropriately).

OK after reading all these posts I am even more confused than I already was. I have been using 2 L2M's (standing up with there level set to unity ie: 12 o'clock or at the notch or 50%)  connected with the L6 link and haven't turned the big knob past the 9 o'clock position and have made no global changes in my Helix and that is extremely loud. so if you could possibly post some pix of the Helix display with the parameters your speaking of that would be very helpful.

Also as mentioned above "the balancing the different vol of presets" (on the 11 rack it was called "rig balancing" and there was a nice little menu for doing it) whats the best way to do this with the Helix?

OK after reading all these posts I am even more confused than I already was. I have been using 2 L2M's (standing up with there level set to unity ie: 12 o'clock or at the notch or 50%)  connected with the L6 link and haven't turned the big knob past the 9 o'clock position and have made no global changes in my Helix and that is extremely loud. so if you could possibly post some pix of the Helix display with the parameters your speaking of that would be very helpful.

Also as mentioned above "the balancing the different vol of presets" (on the 11 rack it was called "rig balancing" and there was a nice little menu for doing it) whats the best way to do this with the Helix?

Well, unity gain isn't really something to be concerned about unless you're using the Helix with a traditional guitar amp. With that setup, you'd want the signal coming from the Helix to be pretty close to what your signal would be if you were just plugging a guitar straight into the amp. In this setup, it's kind of assumed you'd be using the Helix for effects only. In the case where you're using the Helix to drive powered speakers or go into a PA, unity gain really doesn't matter. In general, the louder the signal you send from the Helix to the PA or powered speakers, the higher the signal to noise ratio will be. But in general, the Helix is quiet enough, that it's not going to be a huge deal. Just set the Helix's volume wherever it needs to be.

• 2 years later...

Old thread, but I just got my Helix floor unit, and wanted to add my observations, using Firmware 2.50. I'm using an empty preset--no amp model, no FX blocks, nothing. Plugged a sine wave generator into guitar input: 1KHz at 1v p-p. Then I connected my oscilloscope to the 1/4" mono output. The big Volume knob allows unity output (1v p-p) at about 1:30 o'clock on the dial. With Volume at maximum, the output is 2.5v p-p, or 250% gain.

I plan to use Helix as a stomp box (no amp modeling) in my cover band. So the question about unity gain is a good one--I'd want my guitar to sound identical plugged directly into my amp as it does when run through the Helix with all FX off. In factory default mode, this means setting the Volume knob to 1:30 o'clock.

In Global Settings > Ins/Outs, if I change 1/4" Outputs to "Instrument" instead of "Line", then output at max Volume knob setting IS unity, and is not boosted.

• Upvote 5

Old thread, but I just got my Helix floor unit, and wanted to add my observations, using Firmware 2.50. I'm using an empty preset--no amp model, no FX blocks, nothing. Plugged a sine wave generator into guitar input: 1KHz at 1v p-p. Then I connected my oscilloscope to the 1/4" mono output. The big Volume knob allows unity output (1v p-p) at about 1:30 o'clock on the dial. With Volume at maximum, the output is 2.5v p-p, or 250% gain.

I plan to use Helix as a stomp box (no amp modeling) in my cover band. So the question about unity gain is a good one--I'd want my guitar to sound identical plugged directly into my amp as it does when run through the Helix with all FX off. In factory default mode, this means setting the Volume knob to 1:30 o'clock.

In Global Settings > Ins/Outs, if I change 1/4" Outputs to "Instrument" instead of "Line", then output at max Volume knob setting IS unity, and is not boosted.

Great analysis and very informative!  Thanks!!!!

May be an old thread but it's the first real answer to the question. Thanks!

May be an old thread but it's the first real answer to the question. Thanks!

It's been answered a ton before... DI even answered on this thread with his post. I've been telling people for two and a half years that having the ins and outs at instrument level with the input pad off and the master volume knob all the way up equals unity gain.