Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping

Dramey

Is there no way to assign input channels globally? On my Vetta I was able to set it up for reamping, then twirl through presets til I got something I liked, then tweak to taste. It was pretty cool for finding tones I wouldn't normally have gravitated to. Having to setup each patch separately is going to kill that. 

I just realized I could copy a bunch of patches to a user bank and set all the inputs up for reamping but that will be rather time consuming in itself, unless someone knows of a shortcut?

I think that's a reasonable approach. I don't use Helix for reamping, preferring instead to use S-Gear for recordings. But If I did, and I only needed a patch or two in real time, I'd probably just change the inputs and output of the patch, then put them back.

Is there no way to assign input channels globally? On my Vetta I was able to set it up for reamping, then twirl through presets til I got something I liked, then tweak to taste. It was pretty cool for finding tones I wouldn't normally have gravitated to. Having to setup each patch separately is going to kill that. 

I just realized I could copy a bunch of patches to a user bank and set all the inputs up for reamping but that will be rather time consuming in itself, unless someone knows of a shortcut?

I don't see any way in the documentation to set the input for every preset globally, for instance to USB 3/4. This would easily allow you to re-amp and scroll through the presets which is what I think you are trying to do. You may want to put a feature request in for a global input assign to Ideascale. A global looper that does not require being within a preset, would be nice for previewing all presets as well. I would vote for it.  I did notice that the current looper does allow you to record your loop and then allows you to scroll through other presets with the loop running, essentially acting as a global looper. Other than wild volume jumps this works pretty well for scrolling through presets. I wonder if once you have recorded a track to your DAW if connecting out of your DAW's output and into the Guitar or Aux input on the Helix might be a somewhat cumbersome work around for now.  It would at least allow you to loop through and sample all the presets. 

Sounds like these Line6 instructions only allow you to reamp from one preset rather than your goal of scrolling through the presets. Thought I would include their instructions on re-amping. These instructions are from page 46 of the Line6 manual from the section "DI Recording and Re-amplification". There is an illustration which I could not cut and paste that shows how to connect the Helix to your DAW and studio monitors:

Re-amping Through Helix

If your DAW software provides options for routing individual audio tracks to outputs other than just the main Helix USB Out 1/2, then you can use these steps for re-amping a dry recorded DI track back through Helix.

1. In your DAW software, set the DI track's Output setting to a Helix stereo USB Out other than USB Out 1/2. For this example we'll use Helix USB Out 3/4.

2. Create a new stereo track in your DAW project and set this track's Input and Output both to USB 1/2 - Let's name this track "Re-amped." Arm the track for recording.

NOTE: In some DAW software it may be necessary to also activate the software monitoring feature on this "re-amped" track to monitor the Helix-processed signal when playing back your project. See your software's documentation

3. On Helix, select the Input block and set it to receive from the same USB stereo pair (USB In 3/4) and keep the Output block set to "Multi." Load your choice of amps and effects on the current Helix preset.

4. Now play your DAW project and you'll hear the DI track "re-amped" through your Helix! Adjust the DI track's volume slider to make sure the signal feeding into Helix is not too hot. Tweak your Helix amp & effects as desired while listening with the playback of your project mix.

5. Once you have your re-amplified guitar tone they way you like it, Solo both the DI and re-amped tracks, rewind to the start of the project and hit the DAW Record button, allowing it to capture the signal into the new re-amped track in real-time.

Allow the DI track to play to the end, stop recording and you've created your new re-amped guitar track!

TIP: Note that you still have your original Guitar DI track, and you can repeat this process to create additional re-amped tracks with different Helix settings, add plug-ins, blend with your original guitar track and more.