Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Heilx Variax Amplifi

cmbryden

I just received my Heilx after waiting 3 months. I don't understand why Line 6 takes so long to ship? The Variax took 4 months to get?? Anyway I just needed to get that off my chest.

So I turned in the FIrehawk for the Heilx and now I have a Variax Standard, Amplifi and the Heilx. I just hooked up the Heilx to the Amplifi with a PRS I already had out. I just couldn't get the right sound or not the sound I was expecting. So I thought I would ask what is the best way to connect the three?

1. What is the best setting to use on the Amplifi 150? I seemed if you adjust any of the knobs the sound would be thrown way off?

2. What is the best inputs and output going through the Heilx with the equipment I have?

3. Should I be using the input for the Variax on the Helix?

Is any of the Line 6 products suppose to work together?

You probably want to go into the Amplifi's aux in from the Helix and bypass all the Amplifi's modeling altogether. That way you really just be using it as a power amp and FRFR speaker system. As far as how to get the signal from Helix to Amplifi, the quick and dirty way to do it would be to take a cable from the Helix's headphone output to the Amplifi's aux in.

I didn't think of that and woulnd'nt have thought that would be the way do go, Interesting? Thank you, Do you have any Idea's on connecting the Variax Standard I have to the Helix? In your appinion what input jack would work best here? I read in some of the other threads of a special Variax cable is that the RJ45 looking cable I receiced with the guitar or is there one I need to buy? Sorry for not knowing the standard just came in about a month ago and the Heilix I got yesterday so I haven't looked into it that much. I'm trying to cheat here a little bit.

Tkx

.... a special Variax cable is that the RJ45 looking cable I receiced with the guitar or is there one I need to buy?....

The one you received with the guitar is only shielded on one end. You should buy one that is shielded on both ends, like this, to use to connect your Variax to your Helix:

http://store.line6.com/accessories/cables/variax-digital-cable.html

There are other, cheaper, options available - like this:

http://btpa.com/98-030-004-XXX.html

WOW I really missed that one I will have to look at it when I get home. So what is the RJ45 cable that came with the Variax Standard? To connect to the computer, sorry for my ignorance you mean to tell me I have to buy a separate cable to make this work and that it didn’t come with the guitar? That’s not right..

Thank you for your help I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me. I guess I will have to relook at the book but I don't remmeber seeing any thing like that. Also I received no manual or book with the Helix just one page menu looking thing.

WOW I really missed that one I will have to look at it when I get home. So what is the RJ45 cable that came with the Variax Standard? To connect to the computer, sorry for my ignorance you mean to tell me I have to buy a separate cable to make this work and that it didn’t come with the guitar? That’s not right..

Thank you for your help I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me. I guess I will have to relook at the book but I don't remmeber seeing any thing like that. Also I received no manual or book with the Helix just one page menu looking thing.

There should have been a thumb drive in the box with your Helix that has an electronic copy of the full manual.

The VDI cable has always been something you have to buy extra with the Variax. At least with the JTV and Variax Standard, Line 6 includes the Workbench interface and the short cable to use with it. You could actually use that cable for the Helix, but I would highly recommend only using it at home. Using it anywhere will you'll be moving around will lead to bad things happening to the end without the additional collar.

The Bestronics cable is high quality. You add the base price to the #of feet x price per foot, I think it's 88cents. I was playing a Varx standard recently, actually feels nice, I dig it. That to the Helix is gonna be sweet! Definitely do AUX in on the Amplifi, bypass and direct to power. cleaner signal that way, just the sound of Helix, not Helix filtered through Amplifi..

The reason the VDI cable doesn't come with the Variax guitar is that it is only useful for those who also have a VDI-equipped Line 6 guitar multi-FX processor (e.g. POD, Firehawk, Helix). Many (probably most) Variax owners don't have the VDI-compatible multi-FX unit so including the cable for everyone doesn't make sense. Extra cost for a cable that's useless for most people.

The reason the VDI cable doesn't come with the Variax guitar is that it is only useful for those who also have a VDI-equipped Line 6 guitar multi-FX processor (e.g. POD, Firehawk, Helix). Many (probably most) Variax owners don't have the VDI-compatible multi-FX unit so including the cable for everyone doesn't make sense. Extra cost for a cable that's useless for most people.

agreed - you can use the variax cable that comes with the instrument to connect to your computer for editing/updating, as well as programing with your VDI-compatible L6 device, but we do reccomend the "DVI cable for performance as it is "locking" and more robust than the cable that comes with the Variax instrument.

The USB connection on both devices is meant to communicate with a computer. It won't work at all if you try to connect the Helix and Amplifi together via USB. If you try it you will notice that you can't even physically make the connection because of the different ends on the USB cable. And even if you could, each would fail to recognize the other because they are each triggered by something the other doesn't have - a driver that runs on a computer.

I can physically make the connection as I bought an adapter to do it. Will it cause any damage if I try, or will it just not work?

The only option is to use an aux connection then?

It won't work. USB is a host/slave protocol, and both of the Helix and Amplifi are slave devices. They need to be connected to host to work properly.

I don't think it will cause damage but I do not think it will work the way you are thinking which seems to be transferring audio to the Amplifi.  Remember Amplifi is meant as a guitar amplifier with the Modeling of the POD X3 series built in.  If you plug in via the quarter inch input the signal will going through the modelr.  The auxiliary in is for inputting sound that otherwise could be transmitted via blu tooth.  This is what where you want to send the signal from the Helix.  I use the exact same setup except that I have a JTV and an Amplifi 75

I havn't been able to use the Amplifi, as the android software wont recognise it. I can only use the Amplifi as a bluetooth speaker and use the 4 built in presets. Also, I am still waiting for the Helix to be delivered,so cant comment on that as yet.

I'm going to suggest reading the various manuals. You'll learn the hows and whys and you won't forget because you went through it yourself. I'd be curious to hear how the Amplifi goes with the Helix. Obviously you'd want to bypass the Amplifi's modelling as its inferior to the Helix's, and use it as a plain old amp, though I'm not sure if that's possible. Otherwise you've doubled up on your modelling. I suppose the Helix just for fx? Seems like a strange setup, but very brand loyal!

• Upvote 1

The modeling in the Amplifi is very good but not at the level the Helix is modeling.  Don't get me wrong I originally purchased the Amplifi to be a monitor onstage for my HD500X and as a Blu tooth speaker.  I recently decided to give the Ampifi modeling a try and I was quite impressed.  However when the Helix arrived and I plugged it into the aux in I was completely blown away.  Its hard to explain but the Helix allows the "character" of the guitar to really come through and the modeled amp response is simply amazing.

The Amplifi is a great system but it is a completely different animal than the Helix.

Thanks leftzilla, I had the hd500x dream rig- took to much time to set up. Now have amplify150- very easy to get what you want but not stage worthy. Looks like the helix is next. Just waiting a little longer for units to come in and also get some of the initial bugs fixed.

Yes I just set mine up, per the suggestions above and I couldn't believe it. It's amazing this is what I purchased this equipment for something different. I have had a lot of different rigs from Peavey to Marshals, to having a Boss ME 10 into a 32 band Yamaha EQ s strait into a Carvin 1000 watt amp. This is cool and you get loss with the different ideas bubbling to the surface. Very inspired..

Sweetwater VDI cable is $30.  It is long but so far I'm liking it since I can route it various ways to keep it out from under my feet.

Lots of other options too, in terms of length: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_4?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172463%2Ck%3Aethercon+cable%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7800928011&keywords=ethercon+cable&ie=UTF8&qid=1445633067&rnid=7800923011

(AFAICT, the VDI cable is plain old "Ethercon")