Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting a Line 6 Firehawk

Kevinw679

I own a combo amp https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/mg-carbon-fibre/mg50cfx/ and also a pair of hi-fi speakers http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H4E1XU/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1445447518&sr=1&keywords=q+acoustics+2020i After seeing a few people have trouble with the combo amp and multi fx boards, due to the separate settings on the amp, I was wondering if I should connect the firehawk to the speakers or even some new gear. I'd appreciate your opinion on what I should do and please provide links on how and what I need to wire it up with.

Thanks -K

Kevin, I have a Fender Mustang III and I set it to a clean channel.  I don't use the "models" built into the amp, they are not good.  You definitely don't want to use models on both devices at the same time.  I did that once on accident, someone bumped my amp to another model, other than clean, that was bad, bad, bad.

• Upvote 1

Ok so if you connect to the amp take a lead from your firehawk and connect it to the fx return on the back of the amp (this should bypass all the marshalls techno gubbins and you'll just be using it as a power amp)

Turn cab off on your firehawk patch and it should sound good

If connecting to the monitor speakers leave your cab sim on in the firehawk settings

• Upvote 1

Kevin, I have a Fender Mustang III and I set it to a clean channel. I don't use the "models" built into the amp, they are not good. You definitely don't want to use models on both devices at the same time. I did that once on accident, someone bumped my amp to another model, other than clean, that was bad, bad, bad.

I also have the mustang iii and it sounds great with the firehawk, just wondered if you'd tried plugging into the fx return as it seems to me to be by far the best way of connecting

I also have the mustang iii and it sounds great with the firehawk, just wondered if you'd tried plugging into the fx return as it seems to me to be by far the best way of connecting

I thought I tried that many moons ago.  I will look at that again.  I just have it on the guitar input.  Didn't know if it would make a difference.

Yeah when you connect into the fx return you bypass all of the mustangs pre amp and tone controls and only the master volume will work (you need the latest firmware on your mustang though) what this means is that what you hear through the mustang will mostly be just the firehawk, the mustang won't be colouring the tone so much, it makes it much easier to dial in the tones your after in my opinion

I have a small Fender Frontman 10G without the fx send/return, just the guitar input.

The two knobs for treble and bass go from 1 to 10.

What is the right position to have no colour from the Fender? 1 (min), 5,5 (mid) or 10 (max)?

There is also a 3.5mm aux in, that probably doesn't get coloured by the treble/bass knobs, but I'd need an adapter 1/4"-3.5mm.

What's the best choice, other than changing the amp ;) ?

Ok so if you connect to the amp take a lead from your firehawk and connect it to the fx return on the back of the amp (this should bypass all the marshalls techno gubbins and you'll just be using it as a power amp)

Turn cab off on your firehawk patch and it should sound good

If connecting to the monitor speakers leave your cab sim on in the firehawk settings

Hi, thanks for replying, there's return, send and footcontroller, so I just wire it to the return and send right?

Hi, thanks for replying, there's return, send and footcontroller, so I just wire it to the return and send right?

Just plug into the return

So you plug your guitar into the firehawk as normal and then from the firehawk (left mono) into the return of the marshall

You might have an fx mix knob on the Marshall, if you do just turn it all the way up

I have a small Fender Frontman 10G without the fx send/return, just the guitar input.

The two knobs for treble and bass go from 1 to 10.

What is the right position to have no colour from the Fender? 1 (min), 5,5 (mid) or 10 (max)?

There is also a 3.5mm aux in, that probably doesn't get coloured by the treble/bass knobs, but I'd need an adapter 1/4"-3.5mm.

What's the best choice, other than changing the amp ;) ?

Bass 0

Middle 10

Treble 0

That's the closest you'll get to a flat eq (if you have a middle control)

If it's just home practice you can even try a hifi by plugging into the aux (might need some cable adapters though)

You can try the aux, it should work, and will certainly sound clearer than using the front input of the amp

Just plug into the return

So you plug your guitar into the firehawk as normal and then from the firehawk (left mono) into the return of the marshall

You might have an fx mix knob on the Marshall, if you do just turn it all the way up

fx mix knob?, also is there a way to wire either the amp to the speakers or the firehawk to the speakers?

From the info you posted I can't see what connections you have on the speakers

Are they powered speakers?

If they are then you take a cable from "left mono" into the left speaker

And a cable from "right" to the right speaker

http://exceptional-av.co.uk/media/catalog/product/q/-/q-acoustics-2020i-bottom.jpg

That's the back of the speaker and I've got them normally wired to an amplifier

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SATAEEA/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1445541200&sr=1&keywords=amplifier

Ok so you need an adapter to change your guitar cable out of the firehawk into a phono plug like these on eBay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380942392377&alt=web

Then use a cable for the left input and a cable for the right input

Ok so you need an adapter to change your guitar cable out of the firehawk into a phono plug like these on eBay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380942392377&alt=web

Then use a cable for the left input and a cable for the right input

finally, before when i tried to bi-wire the speakers someone told be I could't because the amplifier is only 25W and that can't handle bi-wiring, do you know if the amplifier can handle the Fire hawk or does it not matter?

Bass 0

Middle 10

Treble 0

That's the closest you'll get to a flat eq (if you have a middle control)

If it's just home practice you can even try a hifi by plugging into the aux (might need some cable adapters though)

You can try the aux, it should work, and will certainly sound clearer than using the front input of the amp

No Middle knob.

I quickly turned to min both Bass and Treble, keeping the Volume where it was (around 3-4), and the sound dropped to an almost unaudible level...

I'll try to increase Volume on the Amp and on the Firehawk and see if it works. yesterday I had no time.

Thanks for the reply