Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR sample rate question

Hblum01

I haven't tried using 96KHz IRs with Helix, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I don't think Helix or the application would mangle it in any way, but if it's longer than 2048 samples the application just cuts off the extra samples. Whether or not you can hear a difference between 48KHz or 96KHz only you can answer that. I can't tell a difference, using a DAW IR loader, so I just use 48KHz.

I have tried both 24 48 and 96 with the Helix and I can't tell any real difference and they all do work. I use the Ownhammer Modern collection and it has a few different levels in the pack

also used them on both 2048 and 1024 and it sounds the same to me. but I am not a sound engineer either.

Well, it's a shame he made such a dramatic video just to be wrong...

This setting does not affect the internal sample rate of the effects and amp models... It just set the sample rate for the S/PDIF and AES/EBU outputs.

It's funny that he's claiming to hear a dramatic difference by changing this setting, because it would affect nothing while using the 4CM.

This setting does not affect the internal sample rate of the effects and amp models... It just set the sample rate for the S/PDIF and AES/EBU outputs.

I haven't messed with IR's much yet, but I did download some and noticed stereo and mono.  Does Helix only support mono or does it matter?

I haven't messed with IR's much yet, but I did download some and noticed stereo and mono.  Does Helix only support mono or does it matter?

From the manual, pg. 28

The Helix app updates the Helix hardware's IR list automatically. Helix can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, mono, .WAV type IRs are supported.

NOTE: Helix utilizes mono IR files up to 2048 samples in length. Upon import, the IR Manager automatically shortens (or lengthens) all IR files to 2048 samples, but you may choose a less DSP-intensive, 1024-sample version from the Model list. Optionally, a stereo .WAV IR can be imported and the IR Manager will utilize only the left channel.

It's funny that he's claiming to hear a dramatic difference by changing this setting, because it would affect nothing while using the 4CM.

There is nobody easier to convince than the one who is looking the hardest for confirmation.

Yeah I read that too - so I guess the answer is that the Helix doesn't support stereo IR's?  Importing stereo and only using the left channel doesn't exactly count does it?

True, but you can easily split the path and run 2 IR's, identical or not.  That's what I'm doing.

from the Knowledge Base:

Helix supports nearly all IRs in .WAV format. However, the Helix Edit application may automatically change its attributes before sending it to the Helix hardware:

• Converts all .WAV IRs to 16-bit, 48kHz mono; when loading a stereo file, Helix Edit uses only the left side
• Shortens (or lengthens) the IR to 2,048 samples. The user may choose a 1,024-sample version to save DSP, which fades out the IR halfway through

I have not been able to load two 2048 IR's in the same path.  They are too DSP intensive.  You can load 2 1024 IR's or put 1 in path 1 and anther in path 2.  Frankly, I think the Helix cabs are very good and with the range of mics and mic positions you can dial in a lot of variations.  Still, nice to have options...

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/impulse-response-irs-r759