Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX2 Static problems?

Hello,
I recently purchased a Line6 UX2 and I just plugged in my casual headphones through a 1/4 inch adapter and I am receiving a static like noise in both of my ear cups but particularity the left ear cup.
I was wondering if this is due to the 1/4 inch adapter or the UX2 is defective?
Please let me know your ideas.
Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

It might be that your getting RF from the power supply. If it's a laptop try unplugging the power supply and running on battery. Also you pick up RF from other sources such as other power supplies, wall warts, TV's. microwaves, cell phones certain light bulbs....stuff like that. Sometimes it's very difficult to isolate these.

Sometimes I get RF from my laptops power supply and sometimes I don't. Sometimes all I have to do is get farther away from those sources by backing away from them.

It might be that your getting RF from the power supply. If it's a laptop try unplugging the power supply and running on battery. Also you pick up RF from other sources such as other power supplies, wall warts, TV's. microwaves, cell phones certain light bulbs....stuff like that. Sometimes it's very difficult to isolate these.

Sometimes I get RF from my laptops power supply and sometimes I don't. Sometimes all I have to do is get farther away from those sources by backing away from them.

Hi Brazzy thank you for your reply.

It's not a laptop, its a desktop pc. I did everything you said and it didn't work. I even tried it on my laptop (both on power and battery) and i get the same problem.

The static get louder as I turn the volume knob on the UX2. If I don't have a guitar connected there's no noise, but I can see the two meters on the front moving around the 46/56 values. I dont hear any static if I connect to the "pad" input but then the guitar sound is not good.

Any ideas?

Off hand I would try switching out the easy parts. Cables first, guitar (single coils are noisy so try an out of phase setting or something with a h-bucker), try locating the UX2 away from CFLs, monitors stuff like that. My UX2 would pick up some static from the lamp (cfls in there) if it was too close by. Its the "pad" comment that makes me think you are picking something up and not the UX itself. Mind you some of the amps are noisy with background noise.

-B

Sounds like the noise may be guitar related since you said the noise is there when you plug your guitar in. Like BillBee and Triryche are hinting towards the guitars stuff like checking the cable, the guitar jack can be at fault too. Also, your guitar could be picking up noise.

Does the noise change depending on whether or not you are touching the guitar strings?

Yes, when I hold the guitar strings it gets (way) less. But it is the same in all 3 of my guitars.

And if i plug the same guitar with the same cable in the "pad" input the noise goes away

Edit: i dont know if it has anything to do, but it is more evident in high gain sounds and less in cleans. But even in cleans its still there

It's possible you may have dirty voltage, but based on you description it may just be the noise floor, especially if it is more of a hissing sound rather than a loud hum or crackling sound.

You may be able to control it with a noise gate or tweaking your gain structure.

But if  you are ok with the tone you are get using the PAD input nothing wrong with using that.

It's possible you may have dirty voltage, but based on you description it may just be the noise floor, especially if it is more of a hissing sound rather than a loud hum or crackling sound.

You may be able to control it with a noise gate or tweaking your gain structure.

But if  you are ok with the tone you are get using the PAD input nothing wrong with using that.

Hello Triryche

It's not a hum, its static. I tried a noise gate in my tone but it does nothing, so I'm guessing its clearly a HW issue.

Hello all

Last night I tried using the pod farm noise gate (the one on the top left, not an effet block) and I managed to cut a lot of the static noise, but to do that I had to set the threshold very high (past 2 o'clock). Is this normal?

It makes me wonder because about 2 months ago I had that gate off and no issues with the sound whatsoever..

What are the pickup types on your guitars?  If they are active pickups, then you should be using the PAD input.  Another possibility is that the normal input jack might be a bit dirty, causing a noisy connection.  You might want to gently swab it with a q-tip and contact cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having static problems too.  When I just run music through it without a guitar even plugged in, either from streaming, YouTube, or even internal ripped music (although not as prevalent). Very annoying to say the least.  I have tried everything.  New cables, battery only on laptop, up-to-date drivers.  The static is there regardless of whether I use headphones or speakers.  My Wi-Fi is good and fast (fibre optic, 20mbps).  Have an Acer with 2.4GHz i5, 6GB Memory - more than enough computing power.  No static when I use the internal speakers and disconnect the UX2.  I have done complete uninstall/reinstall.  The only thing plugged in to the UX2 is the USB and the analog outs to monitor speakers.  The UX2 does everything I want it to but the static is driving me nuts... so much so I am looking at other options but don't really want to spend another 300 bucks for a different interface.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Greetings
I was recently having the same problems of getting extreme static/RF while running the pod farm through a UX1 on my laptop.
i also tried everything , testing different cables  , different instruments etc etc. The I simply thought to take the charger off and then it was gone. 

I had to record dry signal to be used for reamping , but when i sent the a small sample before proceeding further with the whole album recording , i got an email from the sound engineer saying that all the levels were fine but the only major problem was this static RF.  

The qestion is , if there is any way of eliminating the static/rf (and no, noise gate is not an option) when the charger is on because its creating a bit of problems.

If not then maybe nuying something else would be the best option , even if not desired considering that i spent money on line6 because i thought would be the best for that.

Hi Guys,

Im using the Line 6 UX2 with Pod Farm 2.5 and my At2050 Mic, for the purpose of recording my voice for YouTube Videos. I'm having permanent static in the background :s

I cant find any solutions anywhere and I know many YouTubers who have this set up just fine. Any Idea?

I think line 6 messed up the driver. Causing too much cpu time or some chipset timing issue. It happens to me when I run audacity and line 6. My ux2 has worked perfectly for many years until I foolishly updated drivers and monkey last month.

• Upvote 1

A short update that might help some of you guys

After trying a lot of things , I found a solution that works at least for me.

If you are using a lap top REMOVE the charger and let it run on battery.

It seems that there is a ground loop created while having the charger on.

For desktop users I dont have any solution,sorry.

I will also try the following days combining a HUM eliminator to see if it works

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm hearing static through my headphones in phones out and through my speakers when i go analog out. I hear static when listening to spotify, editing on premiere and so on. When i disconnect my line 6 studio ux2 and listen through the inbuilt sound on my mac, there is no more static.

I have the newest drivers and use a 5k 4GHz Intel Core i7 imac on macOS Sierra.

is there a solution for this one yet? maybe adjust latency settings?? i did that once but i forgot where. Please help!

Eypee