Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench 1.75 will not istall on my iMac running OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Has anyone managed a workaround for this? I have just bought a Variax 700 in amber, it's in mint condition and is such a gorgeous guitar that I want to keep it but need to use it to its fullest capabilities, I can't justify spending more on an interface if the software just won't install. . 

Message reads: Variax Workbench can't be installed on this disk. This software requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above.

How are you trying to install Variax Workbench?  through Line 6 Monkey?

Over in the HD500 forum there were a bunch of people who were having trouble using a USB connection between their HD500Xs and Macs with El Capitan.

At least one person was able to fix this by downloading Mac El Capitan 10.11.1 (point change upgrade).

http://line6.com/support/forum/18-pod-hd/

I would suggest first trying to install Line 6 Monkey, then the USB drivers, then try to install Variax Workbench 1.75.

• 3 weeks later...

Im seeing the same , I haven't used my Workbench interface for years but when i try to update the usb drivers it says it "could not establish a connection - please check your cables- I have both green lights on the interface - It looks like its just not compatible?

Has anyone managed a workaround for this? I have just bought a Variax 700 in amber, it's in mint condition and is such a gorgeous guitar that I want to keep it but need to use it to its fullest capabilities, I can't justify spending more on an interface if the software just won't install. . 

Message reads: Variax Workbench can't be installed on this disk. This software requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above.

This may be the explanation - http://line6.com/support/forum-18/announcement-73-mac-os-1011-el-capitan-problem-with-line-6-usb-audio-driver/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to install WorkbenchHD on two systems running El Crapitan today. One - my laptop worked fine, the other (on my iMac) loaded, but wouldn't "find" the guitar via USB. I did both from the monkey (as the downloadable version posted at Line6 support does not seem compatible with the new OS). I have come to expect this sort of hit and miss program operation from Apple nowadays with there last two operating systems. As my laptop has very little on it other than Apple programs, and my iMac has plenty of other non-Apple programs, I am suspecting a conflict from an outside vendor program and I am trying to figure out what processes might be blocking the USB connection recognition. I will repost if I figure it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand the older Workbench 1.75 might not support El Capitan (and if you own an older Variax, you probably need the older non-HD workbench)

However, I can say that Workbench HD 2.12.0 works perfectly fine with my Variax Standard on a MacBook Air running El Capitan 10.11.2.

I can understand the older Workbench 1.75 might not support El Capitan (and if you own an older Variax, you probably need the older non-HD workbench)

However, I can say that Workbench HD 2.12.0 works perfectly fine with my Variax Standard on a MacBook Air running El Capitan 10.11.2.

I tried to install WorkbenchHD on two systems running El Crapitan today. One - my laptop worked fine, the other (on my iMac) loaded, but wouldn't "find" the guitar via USB. I did both from the monkey (as the downloadable version posted at Line6 support does not seem compatible with the new OS). I have come to expect this sort of hit and miss program operation from Apple nowadays with there last two operating systems. As my laptop has very little on it other than Apple programs, and my iMac has plenty of other non-Apple programs, I am suspecting a conflict from an outside vendor program and I am trying to figure out what processes might be blocking the USB connection recognition. I will repost if I figure it out.

Sorry the incompatibility has nothing to do with Apple. It's Line 6 that dropped the ball on this one.

the original workbench will never be updated.... the answer lies in getting the correct version of java on your mac, and making the current version work...

others have done it. so a forum search may be helpful.

i've had no issues with workbench HD.

Use an app called Pacifist.  This will act as the installer in lieu of the Workbench installer that cannot verify the OS X version number.  I did this today and it corrected the issue.  Pacifist is free, you just have to wait twenty seconds to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'll dig a little deeper. I'm a newbie to the Variax. Hopefully I've been loading the incorrect version. I'm running on a Mac desktop but it should be the same. Thanks again!

Hey all - I did as suggested and attempted to load HD 2.12 and everything went fine. Worked like a charm. I didn't use Pacifist or anything like that. Just a native installation. I think it was the non-HD version that was causing the problem. It's all good now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, So I have tried updating (downgrading?) the Java runtime to Version 6, used pacifist to install to get past the version check, but I get an unsatisfied link error:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash()V

App info: Variax Workbench 1.54 release - build 93 - Mon Mar 31 14:17:16 PDT 2008

Date: 3/14/16 1:03 PM
In thread: Thread[main,5,main]
Java VM Version: 1.6.0_65

Anyone have any thought on what I can do to get around this?

I'm attempting to use this with a PODX3 Live and a Variax 600 6-string and a Variax 700 bass on OS X El Capitan, iMac 27, 8Gb RAM.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I own a old Variax 300(sunburst) i Found a way to install Workbench(not HD) on Mac sierra

Download the "Variax Workbench 1.73" installer

First  Try to install the Regular Way(double Click .dmg and follow the instructions)

when it says it needs a former version of Java down-grade to it

Double Click the .dmg file

then Right click the installer(orange .mpkg file ) selecting "show Package Content"

Show_Package_Content.jpg

Select the "packages" folder

after_Show_Packge.jpg

then Double-Click Variax Workbench .pkg

U don't need To install "Variax USB interface"

install

then Launch Variax Workbench and that should be it

after i had an un-related problem with Logic thinking it had something to do with Java

so i re-installed the latest version of Java

Workbench still works

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

@Just Startin'

This worked great! 

Considerably improved my mood. Thanks a lot!

Couple of notes for others:

"Download the "Variax Workbench 1.73" installer" ... v 1.75 reports being damaged.

"when it says it needs a former version of Java down-grade to it" ... its not really a downgrade, as the OS just uses it when something asks for this version of Java. You will be directed to download it when you first try to run Variax Workbench. Just follow the trail, and then restart Workbench.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys, I know it's been a long time, but I'm about to try to get Workbench working for my old Variax 700 in the next few weeks or so. Maybe some of you have found workarounds, if so I'd love to see them, but you may be still suffering. If so, this link is for a Cubase workaround that has exactly the same message 'Wrong Mac OSX Version': -

https://www.hjorthjort.xyz/old-site/2015/12/22/cant-install-cubase.html

The instructions are detailed, and so long as you don't try to install Workbench on an OS older than 10.5 (why would you?) there will be no harm to your system at all. By simply removing some script from the installer, the software will install and function normally.

If the installer works in a different way, with smaller packets inside the main packet, then I will be trying this one out: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyN3ryUuzY

Again, you're taken step by step through the process. Who know if they'll work for me, it would be great to get my Liquid Mix working as well as Workbench. You may want to wait until I've gone over the barbed wire first, so I'll post again in a fortnight or so and let you know how I got on :0)

Line 6 customers shouldn't have to resort to keeping an old computer or performing Java workarounds just to use their trusty old Variax guitars with Workbench.

There are a few things we can do to pressure Line 6 to update Workbench so it works with recent computers and operating systems:

1) open a support ticket here https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html and the more the merrier. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2) be vocal on these and other forums

3) vote for support in Line 6 Ideascale right here. You'll need to register for Ideascale if you haven't already. (In my opinion, the lack of legacy Variax support shouldn't require an "idea" for submission. But sometimes you gotta approach a problem from all angles.)

Makes sense

I'm afraid I got stuck on the barbed wire and shot to pieces! Nothing worked, so you post is truly appreciated :0) I think I've already got the older version of Java to run Line 6 Edit, so hopefully I'll be OK installing the non HD version of the Variax Workbench.

Many thanks for putting me on the right path, and your absolutely right about Line 6 and many other companies lack of support for older gear.

I've got a PodXT completely loaded with the expansion pack and it gives me everything I want, as does the Variax 700. Do I want a Pod HD or a James Tyler Variax... No!!