Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone managed to record in 44.1 kHz ?

LeBenoist

Hello,

when connecting with USB, I'm stuck with 48kHz (see screen copy, sorry for the french, but you can see : no choice but 48000).

To use 44.1 I need to disconnect USB and use S/PDIF to my MOTU interface (828 mkII).

This used to work fine with my HD 500, by setting the POD as the sync master.

It doesn't work with HELIX. Depending on the sync setup (master or not), I get ticks or sound drops.

I can't find a way to record in 44.1 in digital.

Do you experience the same problems ?

I've found a post on the forum where D-I say the USB connexion allows any rate/bit configuration, including 44.1... but I must have missed something, or he made a mistake.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and/or help.

LeBoist - I have not tried connecting to another S/PDIF device yet, but are you saying you tried the settings in the Global Options > Ins and Outs? On the the 3rd page of screens here, the very last two options are one for toggling between S/PDIF and AES-EBU and the other for Sample Rate, which offers 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz. I believe this is where you configure things for digital output.

I do have this same problem on Mac OS X. This is just a bug and will likely be addressed.

Hello Amsdenj,

by bug do you refer to the USB not accepting 44.1 or to the sync problem with S/PDIF ?

Hope it will be addressed quickly anyway.

I need to do some reamp and finish recording a few songs, and I'm stuck with my HD 500.

It's soooo frustrating ! :-/

What is your Daw? I use PT12 on pc and had no problem running 44/24, 48/24 and 96khz/32bit floating.  Have you tried setting the session up before starting it? 

Hello, and thank you for your answer.

How do you connect to your PC ? Full USB ? Or with other digital connexions to your PT hardware ?

Regarding my DAW (Logic Pro X) it is not the problem. I have the problem even with my computer turn off :-)

Not for the USB part of course, but for the S/PDIF sync problem. Guitar -> Helix -> MOTU -> Mackie.

Regards.

LeBoist - I have not tried connecting to another S/PDIF device yet, but are you saying you tried the settings in the Global Options > Ins and Outs? On the the 3rd page of screens here, the very last two options are one for toggling between S/PDIF and AES-EBU and the other for Sample Rate, which offers 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz. I believe this is where you configure things for digital output.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I did this. S/PDIF is selected with 44.1, and I do get some sounds out of S/PDIF in 44.1. It's just with a lot of "ticks" , or with sounds drops from time to time, depending if I declare the Helix as the master or not for sync.

Quick question : since you are not using S/PDIF, are you using USB ? If so, can you set it to 44.1 ? I'm on Mac, and this option is not possible. I'm trying to figure out if this is an Helix limitation, a Mac driver limitation, or some kind of bug.

My prefered choice is "bug" as I really need USB for doing DI recording and reamping without being forced to record in mono with right channel being DI (as I had to do with the HD 500).

Thanks again.

Hello, and thank you for your answer.

How do you connect to your PC ? Full USB ? Or with other digital connexions to your PT hardware ?

Regarding my DAW (Logic Pro X) it is not the problem. I have the problem even with my computer turn off :-)

Not for the USB part of course, but for the S/PDIF sync problem. Guitar -> Helix -> MOTU -> Mackie.

Regards.

I am totally using USB no other connection to my computer it sounds great and it is totally digital

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I did this. S/PDIF is selected with 44.1, and I do get some sounds out of S/PDIF in 44.1. It's just with a lot of "ticks" , or with sounds drops from time to time, depending if I declare the Helix as the master or not for sync.

Those small "ticks" are usually the result of combining two digital audio streams (each on a separate clock).

What happens if you set the Helix as the clock master... and have your audio interface slave/lock to it?

I'm on OS X 10.10.5 and can record to 44.1 in Logic via USB. Apogee Duet is handling audio output at the same time.

Hello Uberschall,

you made me search the (Logic) documentation again ! :-D :-D

Are you sure you're not using automatic Logic resampling function ?

In which case, you would have the "44.1" selected frequency for your project in "italics", and only "48" in normal font in the drop down menus.

Can you check this ?

Anyway, this is a good workaround for now indeed.

I don't like the idea of resampling too much. Since I do reamping, it means resampling 3 times in a row :-/

But this can help for now (until Line 6 fix this, or my band mate work with 48k projects).

Thanks.

Live long and prosper   \\ //,

LeBenoist,

What bit depth are you using?

I ask because I've come across circumstances with DAW's where,

if you use 44.1-kHz, it will only give 16-bit data as an option. If one

wanted to use 24-bit, it didn't give 44.1-kHz as a sample rate option.

I don't know if that is the case here.

I haven't played with SPD/IF on Helix yet, but have many times with HD500X. The sample rate set in Helix applies to all digital inputs, USB and SPD/IF. The bug is that Helix I thing currently only works on 48000Hz sample rate. You can change the sample rate in Global Settings, but I don't think this as any effect - Mac OS X El Capitan or Yosemite don't see the change an only allow selection of 48000Hz. So that's the only available sample rate for now as far as I can tell. 

I also use 44.1kHz, but I don't use Helix for recording, so this isn't a problem. I use a Safire Pro 40 and S-Gear for my digital amp for recording. Helix is only for live playing.

LeBenoist,

What bit depth are you using?

I ask because I've come across circumstances with DAW's where,

if you use 44.1-kHz, it will only give 16-bit data as an option. If one

wanted to use 24-bit, it didn't give 44.1-kHz as a sample rate option.

I don't know if that is the case here.

Hello Psarkissian,

it has nothing to do with DAW. The setup in the OS doesn't allow to select 44.1. Without launching any software.

The sample rate set in Helix applies to all digital inputs, USB and SPD/IF. 

The documentation says explicitly that this is only for AES/EBU and S/PDIF. :-/

Anyway.

It seems clear to me now that USB is stuck with 48.

Even if documentation and some posts from DI says otherwise.

May be they will clarify this in the near future : bug or feature :-)

Thanks to everyone for you answers !

Rock on !

Hello Uberschall,

you made me search the (Logic) documentation again ! :-D :-D

Are you sure you're not using automatic Logic resampling function ?

In which case, you would have the "44.1" selected frequency for your project in "italics", and only "48" in normal font in the drop down menus.

Can you check this ?

Anyway, this is a good workaround for now indeed.

I don't like the idea of resampling too much. Since I do reamping, it means resampling 3 times in a row :-/

But this can help for now (until Line 6 fix this, or my band mate work with 48k projects).

Thanks.

Live long and prosper   \\ //,

LeBenoist,

I'm not sure what's going on with resampling, but yes:

On Helix, sample rate is set to 48kHz

In Logic, Project Audio sample rate is set to 44.1kHz in italics

• 3 months later...

I'm late to this, but I just installed the 1.06 update and there's STILL no fix for this. Unacceptable! How could they boast USB in/out/reamping when it doesn't work at 44.1, at which most people record!? I bought Helix and the main two things I want to do with it (use it with my DT25, and record/reamp with it) can't be done without some kind of undesirable workaround. How much did I pay for this again?