Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! PC automatically restarts after USB connection with Helix?

KappieJ

Dear people,

Can someone help me resolve this issue? The moment I connect my Helix to my pc, my pc restarts, I am asked if I want to run in safe mode. I have no possibility to update to 1.02.2. I cannot open the Helix software, because of the immediate restart.. Same goes for the Line6 updater. 

I'm running in Windows 7. Tried multiple USB ports. I am NOT using a usb hub. I tried 2 USB cables. Tried the reset with switches 9 and 10.. Also reinstalled drivers...

Also, I noticed that connecting the Helix influences the amount of Gigabytes I see available on my hard drives. Strange...

Really hope someone can help!  

thanks in advance,

Jeroen

No, the power supply wouldn't have anything to do with that.... well maybe but, unlikely  

1) Have you tried letting it go into safe mode and plugging it in then (If this works then some software is conflicting in normal mode)?  

2) Can you use any other USB devices (If so then we have a driver conflict)?  

3) Is your PC up to date on all of it's critical updates?

4) Do you know how to look at your device manager?  If so, look for any exclamation points.  

If none of these produces anything that leads you in the direction of a fix then in your Device manager, uninstall any devices under the USB controllers section and restart.  It is possible that a driver got fowled up and just needs reloaded.

What's most likely happening is that the Helix driver is crashing to machine to BSOD (which by default will automatically restart the machine).

You can go into Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Startup And Recovery>Settings and disable (uncheck) "Automatically Restart" (under System Failure).  Now, if the machine experiences a BSOD, it'll stay on the Blue Screen.  At the bottom of the screen, the culprit will often be listed.

If you're connecting Helix to an older motherboard:

All USB3 ports on all motherboards prior to the Intel Z77 chipset provided USB3 via 3rd-party controllers.

Many USB2 audio and MIDI interfaces have issues with these 3rd-party USB3 controllers.

Liken the situation to using a non-TI chipset Firewire controller with a Firewire audio interface.

Newer Intel Motherboards have USB3 integrated into the chipset.

Long story short, there's no advantage to connecting a USB2 device to a USB3 port.

If you're using an older motherboard, connect Helix to a USB2 port.

The Helix driver has been pretty stable for most folks... so it's not a blanket problem with the BSOD.

It's something specific to your machine/configuration.

As was mentioned, I'd make sure your Win7 install is completely up-to-the-minute.

Also, make sure to update the component drivers for your motherboard.

Then, see where you are with the BSOD.

What's most likely happening is that the Helix driver is crashing to machine to BSOD (which by default will automatically restart the machine).

You can go into Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Startup And Recovery>Settings and disable (uncheck) "Automatically Restart" (under System Failure).  Now, if the machine experiences a BSOD, it'll stay on the Blue Screen.  At the bottom of the screen, the culprit will often be listed.

If you're connecting Helix to an older motherboard:

All USB3 ports on all motherboards prior to the Intel Z77 chipset provided USB3 via 3rd-party controllers.

Many USB2 audio and MIDI interfaces have issues with these 3rd-party USB3 controllers.

Liken the situation to using a non-TI chipset Firewire controller with a Firewire audio interface.

Newer Intel Motherboards have USB3 integrated into the chipset.

Long story short, there's no advantage to connecting a USB2 device to a USB3 port.

If you're using an older motherboard, connect Helix to a USB2 port.

The Helix driver has been pretty stable for most folks... so it's not a blanket problem with the BSOD.

It's something specific to your machine/configuration.

As was mentioned, I'd make sure your Win7 install is completely up-to-the-minute.

Also, make sure to update the component drivers for your motherboard.

Then, see where you are with the BSOD.

A +1 on all what he said also you could try to get another hard drive and reinstall windows on that hard drive so you wouldn't mess up your other one and see if a new install of Windows 7 cause the same problem then you will absolutely know if it is your install driver set or your hardware

Good advice on trying a clean install of Win7.

You can also use Acronis True Image (or similar) to create a backup image file of the existing OS install.

Then, the OP could perform a clean install of the OS on the existing boot drive (knowing it would be quick/easy to reload the previous install).

• Like 1

Guys... the OP doesn't even know how bad his issue is yet.  What you guys are suggesting, however plausible, is like using a broadsword to crack open a walnut.  Let's HOPE he doesn't need to resort to any of what you guys suggested besides making sure he's connecting it to a USB 2.0 port and not a 3.0.  If we want to help him let him try the simple stuff I suggested then the next step should be disabling the automatic reboot on crash like Jrose said.  Then we can go from there.

Actually prolly should do the disable reboot on crash first.... 

Edited by spawn2031

Read my first post.

I'm not suggesting a clean install as a first option.   ;)

But if the OP goes thru all normal trouble-shooting and comes up "empty", a clean install of Win7 is a logical/practical next step.

If a proper backup is created beforehand, it's quick/easy to get back to his current install.

FWIW, Booting into Safe mode won't shed much light.  

With bare minum drivers loaded/running, the BSOD won't occur.

Ah the typical clash of techs on proper troubleshooting techniques, lol.  agreed, if all else comes up blank then yeah, reloading is definitely the next step.  Booting into safe mode will most certainly shed some light though.  If it does crash there as well then it's not a simple fix.  It's either hardware or a blown OS, skip all the other troubleshooting and go right to the OS load.  BSODs do happen in safe mode.  If his MOBs USB controller hardware is foobed then it will still BSOD even in safe mode.  

No offense meant at all to the OP here but.... people get all manner of stuff on their PCs that can screw up resource assignments and what not.  Going into safe mode first will eliminate most of those possibilities and reduce the amount of variables.

*steps down off soap box for the next opinion*  :D

Thanks so much for your help! The issue is solved now! The last changes were: installing important windows updates (didn't do that for quite a long time). I presume this caused the error. Another possibility is the Asrock XFast program (I have a Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard). I turned XFast off, just to be sure that it isn't causing any problems. 

Again: I really appreciate all your help, thanks again!

It's time to fully enjoy this product :)

Best, from the Netherlands,

Jeroen

Update, maybe relevant for other users: xFast USB seems to be the troublemaker! It's an Asrock programme that, if I interpret it correctly, is designed to speed up data transfers. I just restarted my pc again, after that the Helix and I got a blue bsod (with lots of text in white letters). Yesterday I didn't get any blue sod's, i just got a black screen and then an immediate restart. So maybe the windows updates cause this difference.

Anyway; after that, I restarted the pc (Helix off), then closed the xFast program (it autostarts), thén turned on the Helix: no problems.

Conclusion of the day: let's uninstall xFast :)

I hope it is solved now. And that this topic is helpful for users experiencing similar issues.

Thanks again, time to rock :)

Jeroen

Update, maybe relevant for other users: xFast USB seems to be the troublemaker! It's an Asrock programme that, if I interpret it correctly, is designed to speed up data transfers. I just restarted my pc again, after that the Helix and I got a blue bsod (with lots of text in white letters). Yesterday I didn't get any blue sod's, i just got a black screen and then an immediate restart. So maybe the windows updates cause this difference.

Anyway; after that, I restarted the pc (Helix off), then closed the xFast program (it autostarts), thén turned on the Helix: no problems.

Conclusion of the day: let's uninstall xFast :)

I hope it is solved now. And that this topic is helpful for users experiencing similar issues.

Thanks again, time to rock :)

Jeroen

Not a problem, glad we could help.  I have seen quite a few of those kinds of programs that are designed to "improve" performance of this, that or the other thing but, just like any other piece of software, it's impossible for them to test it in all conditions.  Glad you were able to narrow down your issue to that little P.O.S.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Got the same problem - BSOD after few seconds of Helix USB connection to my 168% stable before desktop.

Asus Ram Cache II software just devastated 6 hours of my researching through WTF is going on. After removing this crappy utility, issue was gone.

So... Be clear with everything that caches most useful HDD files to RAM - that's not compatible with USB audio... 

I found the issue for me - it's 100% Logitech, not Helix... I've had this issue for a while, and I've found the culprit to be Logitech GHub software.  as soon as the helix is detected, Logitech causes a BSOD.

Before you turn on helix or connect it - go to task manager and kill logitech Ghub or anything logitech

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 7:04 PM, kringle said:

I found the issue for me - it's 100% Logitech, not Helix... I've had this issue for a while, and I've found the culprit to be Logitech GHub software.  as soon as the helix is detected, Logitech causes a BSOD.

Before you turn on helix or connect it - go to task manager and kill logitech Ghub or anything logitech

can confirm. shut down G-hub and my computer no longer locked up. thank you. 

• 5 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:04 AM, kringle said:

Confirmed as well. Instant Windows 10 sad face memory minidump blue screen stop code (trying to help future google searches here) when plugging in my new LT on any USB port, 2 or 3. I killed the G-hub and an updater in task manager, problem gone! Firmware is updating as I type this and HX edit loads as well. Thanks, kringle! Who needs pretty mouse lights ;-)