Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What speakers/ amps or powered speakers are you getting the best sounds out of your helix?

jar1zx

I have used my powered monitors and my Engl tube power amp ( just like a regular pa amp, it has no pre amp)

I have been comparing the Mesa setting on the helix to my Mesa dual rectifier, it does have a lot in common but I have not got the helix to match the sound yet.

This could be using a pair of studio monitors or the Jbl pa speakers can not match my Marshall 4-12 cab for sound.

So I'm asking how have other helix users been doing and what are you using for speakers?

This is an idea I have.

I love the sound of the orange single 12 sealed cab. Vintage 30 speaker.

I'm thinking about making two single cabs (Orange clones) and using this set up with my Engl, Crown or Yamaha amps.

I have a pa set up with mixer if I need to use it.

I have used my powered monitors and my Engl tube power amp ( just like a regular pa amp, it has no pre amp)

I have been comparing the Mesa setting on the helix to my Mesa dual rectifier, it does have a lot in common but I have not got the helix to match the sound yet.

This could be using a pair of studio monitors or the Jbl pa speakers can not match my Marshall 4-12 cab for sound.

So I'm asking how have other helix users been doing and what are you using for speakers?

I could be completely wrong here but, it is my understanding that the Helix tries to replicate the sound of a mic'd cabinet.  So to compare the Helix Mesa to your actual Mesa Dual Rectifier, I think you would have to mic up your Marshall 4x12 and record it.  Then compare that recording to the Helix Mesa.  Both being played back through your studio monitors or JBL pa.

But to answer your question, I'm running mine through a Bose L1 system.  :)

Geeman you are most likely right about the mic'd cab ir that helix use.

I'm kinda a tone freak and I like the best sound that I can get. And I just play guitar for my own enjoyment.

I'll keep playing with this and in the meantime people who have the helix and are getting great sounds, post what gear your using so I can take ideas.

For now I think if I get a great speaker set up on my Engl I will have something amazing.

And so far with the tinkering I've done I love the helix in a stereo set up.

Wow!!!! Really???

Everyone is using a line 6 speaker with their Helix?

I'm running it into several different setups:

• DT25 Amp with 1x12 Extension Cab (using MIDI to switch topologies & other stuff)
  • Alto TS110A powered PA speaker
  • Effects return of a Vetta II Combo
  • Headphones

These have all sounded amazing to me.

Still haven't tried (but will):

• Effects return of a Peavey Bravo 112 tube amp
  • As an effects only unit into the front of a Blackstar ID-30 (doesn't have an effects loop)
  • Upvote 1

Wow!!!! Really???

Everyone is using a line 6 speaker with their Helix?

2 x Atomic Amps "Neo" Wedges (XLR)

1 x DT25 112 combo (AES/EBU)

1 x DT50 112 combo (AES/EBU)

Mesa-Boogie Triaxis/2:90 (4cm)

I'm still experimenting with making them all work together, but individually they sound fantastic. The wedges are getting the most attention because they sound great and are basically plug-n-play.

I'm still waiting on better DT / Link6 firmware support before spending too much time integrating the combos into my "dream rig". ☺

FWIW:

I don't have a Helix, but this is my 2 cents worth regarding amp modelling into an amp/speaker in a live situation....

I have in the past used a Mesa Boogie Satellite 60 combo, with mixed results. This was designed as pretty much just a power amp, as a second (stereo?) amp setup in conjunction with one of the earlier Mesa combos (maybe IIC or the like). It had a Black Shadow, which I never really liked that much. I plugged into the fx return, and even though it was plenty loud enough, with plenty of headroom, I never really gelled with it. Mind you, that was my first setup when I was still learning about the HD500, so maybe that says something.

I moved onto a stereo 50 watts per channel power amp made by Dale Sherlock (Sherlock amplifiers, based in Melbourne, Australia), plugged into a Marshall 2x12 cab (JCM800 model, maybe designed as an extension to a JCM800 combo), with 2 G12T-65s in it). An awesome amp, with heaps of clean headroom (it's evidently based on the original VHT power amps), but I was still not totally won over. It sounded better with cab sims on, than off, oddly enough. G12T-65s are great speakers BTW - very sought after - just NQR with a modeller.

Recently I picked up a bargain, which has me going in the right direction, and the more I read about it, I know why it's working. I bought a shell and speakers of a Spider (II or III) 120, which had the amp removed, as it was rooted, (Australian for no good). The speakers, (2 x Celestion G10P-80s), are great, even in the crappy chipboard (I think) open back cab they're in. They're also know as Celestion seventy 80s, and are designed as more of a flat response speaker (I think they're also used in Atomics, but don't quote me on that one), perfect for use with modellers. I'm currently considering putting these two into a couple of good sized single speaker cabs, for low volume gigs, and selling the JCM800 2x12, to fund another pair of seventy 80s, (maybe 12" models), for another 2x12 cab, so I can use em all, for more spread at bigger gigs.

I'm using a pair of M-Fidelity SA-43 custom in-ear monitors both for home and rehearsal/gig with the band. It allows me to play at gig level without disturbing anyone at home. IMHO they are also better than our JBL speakers we use for FOH (or any other speakers I've heard so far).

• Upvote 1

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that Helix models those things that already exist in the real world of audio. So, you might have a hard time getting JBLs to match anything Marshall in the real world because of the EQ weighting differences in their respective networks. JBLs are not flat in terms of frequency response but, for example, Boston Acoustics are, thereby making the BAs easier to match to Marshall cabs.

FWIW, JBLs tend to "sound better" than Boston Acoustics because of the EQ weighting, but Boston Acoustics, because of their flat EQ characteristics, make it much easier to dial in specific sounds.

I used to work in a studio where we had to mix for a number of different environments. After "auditioning" a lot of different speakers and amps, we ended up using some NAD equipment and Boston Acoustic monitors.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that Helix models those things that already exist in the real world of audio. So, you might have a hard time getting JBLs to match anything Marshall in the real world because of the EQ weighting differences in their respective networks. JBLs are not flat in terms of frequency response but, for example, Boston Acoustics are, thereby making the BAs easier to match to Marshall cabs.

FWIW, JBLs tend to "sound better" than Boston Acoustics because of the EQ weighting, but Boston Acoustics, because of their flat EQ characteristics, make it much easier to dial in specific sounds.

I used to work in a studio where we had to mix for a number of different environments. After "auditioning" a lot of different speakers and amps, we ended up using some NAD equipment and Boston Acoustic monitors.

I kinda got the impression that the jbl's are not flat.

My KRK vxt4 don't seem to have a flat eq either.

Midrange is brought out a lot in them

eenymason

I had a mark iv combo once that had the black shadow and it sounded amazing on cleans. The single coil pick ups on my usa standard Strat most likely helped. Shame I got rid of the Strat.

My first Boogie was a Mark II combo (with C90), which I combined with an early Marshall 1960A cab. It WAS a killer sound on both channels (particularly with all the speakers combined). I was a bit of a snob (read fool), and refused to use an overdrive pedal (cos I thought the amp had all the overdrive I could use), and stupidly sold it cos I didn't like the crunch, cos I wasn't using it to it's full capacity. Now if someone has shown me how to use an overdrive to get that crunch using the clean channel.......

I still have the '71 Strat I had back then - it's not going anywhere.....

I guess my point is the (C90) Black Shadow wasn't great with the HD500 for me.

Kinda wished you had kept that amp so I could buy it.

Kinda a Mesa Mark fan here.

O well lollipop happens.

Just hooked up. Helix+engl+Marshall cab in stereo, think we have a winner here. Not best for stereo ( speakers are to close) but it has a killer sound.

Kinda what I was thinking, but I don't have room for two 4-12 cabs to make stereo right. Maybe two 1-12 cabs..............

• 2 weeks later...

Played with a few more powered speakers and I'm going to stick with the engl power amp.

Just found a 2nd Marshall 4-12 cab vintage with tweed grill cloth.

I have about a 10x20 man cave so I'm going to put each cab on a side, I'm guessing ten feet apart should be good for stereo separation.

Should sound killer.

I don't have my Helix yet, but with my Pod HD, I am very satisfied with my Yamaha DXR 10 powered cabs. They have a mode (EQ) for use as a floor monitor, and sound terrific. I've used other solutions - Atomic Reactor 1x12, Mesa Boogie Satellite, and Reactor 2x12, but, frankly high quality wedges or PA cabs work best for me. I like having two cabs (which I also use with a sub for my single and duo gigs) because it gives me some flexibility for different types of gigs - to cover audience and monitor myself, or go through the mains and use one as my monitor and one to cover the rest of the band. In my opinion, the trick is to have as high fidelity a rig as possible.

• Upvote 2

Depending how you are using the Helix, you'll want a different amps and speakers. You can run Helix through a conventional amp and cabinet, through an amp and cabinet that is biased to guitar tones, or through a simple FRFR amp and speaker.

In my case, for live stage use, I want to hear what exactly what the audience hears from the main PA speakers which are FRFR. So I monitor myself with a simple FRFR powered speaker. I shopped around and found the Mackie Thump12 to have a decent FRFR sound at a volume that's loud enough to hear over the other band members, has a decent price and is easy to carry in one hand.

Since it is impossible for most of the audience to hear a stereo image from the main PA speakers, I run everything mono, including the use of just one speaker for me.

While I miss the sound and feel of a cranked tube amp and cabinet behind me, with my FRFR speaker I have much better control over what I am sending to the main PA and the ability to adjust my stage level without affecting the main mix. Also, when I switch among Marshall, Fender, and Vox amp and cabinet models, I feel I am getting the maximum benefit of these different models without being limited by the physical amp and speaker.

• Upvote 2

Picked up the 2nd Marshall cab today and it's great. Real nice tone, now it's time to start tweaking the Helix to sounds I like.

Anyone else not feeling the factory presets? Easily fixed though and that's a cool part about the helix on how simple it is to change sounds. Bought to dive deeper into the helix.

Use mine with the DT25: Topology on 4 and 1/4'' cable return in.

Tonight first time in a bandsetting. At home it sounds good.

Still have the digital clipping on the Marshall/Orange amps with my Variax JTV-69. Still no solutions. Tried lower the volume within workbench per pickup. Unfort. no result.

So it basically comes down to Home or stage. If your a guitar player who just plays at home, Frfr may not be your cup of tea. Your use to tube amp tones so a monitor or the like with flat response may not work for you. thus you go the dt route or other amp hookups. But, for gigging guitarist that wants to just hook up to the FOH, then a frfr system is a must, or all you presets will be off tonal wise. To narrow it even further if you play at only one place or you bring your own PA system having your frfr monitor you hook up into to set your helix presets should be as close to sounding to the mains as possible. For me it's frfr monitor then hook xlr to FOH and use global eq for different PA systems to gently message my presets. Fast simple sounds great. It all comes down to how much stuff you want to schlep around I guess.

I am still waiting on my Helix to ship. They've been on backorder for a while now with zZounds. In prep though, I found a Yamaha DXR12 and a DXS15 floor model at Guitar Center that I am really digging! Plus, since the sub was a little beat up cosmetically they gave me a deeper discount. Out the door was $1,100 for the pair. Even withouth the Helix, these things sound amazing. The punch and the clarity even at loud volume is great. The DSP really makes it a viable option for a guitar.  I hooked my Boss ME-80 and I get some pretty cool sounds. I cant wait for my Helix!

I used The L2t with the Helix for the first week and was not happy with all the high end brittleness so hooked up the Helix to my DT25 with L6 Link and it sounds amazing. warm, and punchy on any amp block running L6 link with a clean fender type sound ,master volume wide open, volume down on the helix .great High gain sounds and great clean sounds   Just starting to mess with pre amp blocks and changing amp topologies  on the DT25 with midi from Helix, but so far not convinced this is the way to go. in my opinion A guitar speaker is the way to go and much more natural sounding after all thats what the best sounds of all time have been run through. not a PA speaker unless it was a miked guitar speaker. there is a reason guitar speakers have a frequency response from about 80Hz to little over 5000K. It works!

I am still waiting on my Helix to ship. They've been on backorder for a while now with zZounds. In prep though, I found a Yamaha DXR12 and a DXS15 floor model at Guitar Center that I am really digging! Plus, since the sub was a little beat up cosmetically they gave me a deeper discount. Out the door was $1,100 for the pair. Even withouth the Helix, these things sound amazing. The punch and the clarity even at loud volume is great. The DSP really makes it a viable option for a guitar.  I hooked my Boss ME-80 and I get some pretty cool sounds. I cant wait for my Helix!

Hey sbursic, do you find you really need the sub? I have 2 DXR10s and a DSX15, which I use on my duo and single gigs, but for just guitar, with a full band, I don't use the sub. I don't think my guitar goes that low. With the 12s I would think you need it even less.

The sub is perhaps a bit much. If I was playing death metal and used drop D tuning all the time then maybe. But damn, when you pump some music through it, that sub makes the walls shake :) Guess I could give up guitar and be a DJ.

I bought a Samson RSXM12A active coaxial monitor and I LOVE it! Only cost $350 so I was a bit skeptical (bought it from Sam Ash online and figured I'd just return it if it sucked) but I've been blown away by how this thing sounds! Perfectly flat response and plenty loud enough for any use I can imagine.

It's got a killer look and I'm just totally psyched about how good it sounds!

I still need a sub for my PA system. (Not with helix)

I play at home so the stereo thing is so cool. If y'all haven't tried it you got too. Put on some headphones or something n try it.

Two Marshall 4-12 cabs is a bit of an overkill but then again it sounds so great.

Seeing some cool ideas in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Samson RSXM12A active coaxial monitor and I LOVE it! Only cost $350 so I was a bit skeptical (bought it from Sam Ash online and figured I'd just return it if it sucked) but I've been blown away by how this thing sounds! Perfectly flat response and plenty loud enough for any use I can imagine.

It's got a killer look and I'm just totally psyched about how good it sounds! How do you still like your Samson? I'm seriously looking at these.

I use a Quilter Tone Block 200 amp -- very small and powerful, plus a Yorkville NX35 PA speaker/monitor on a speaker stand pointed at me at shoulder level. I'm 6'6" and used the floor monitor position for years, but stage volume was an issue, so this works for me and keeps the stage volume manageable.

PA speakers are Full Range, but not necessarily Flat Response, so I cut the mids at 3 kHz by about -8 dB and used a Q of about 2.3 using the Global EQ to take the vocal peak out and flatten the response. Took the harshness of the distortions out -- VERY HAPPY with it now.

Was fighting that for years with the HD500(X) -- have done the same with my 500X, but need to rework my patches on it so it will serve as an emergency backup. The sound man at last weekend's gig (my first gig outing with the Helix) was very impressed with my sound -- kept his board EQ flat for my guitar channel. I assign the global EQ to only the 1/4" out's at line level for my stage sound (the Quilter & Yorkville speaker), and send the FOH un-EQ'd mic level.

The Yorkville is about 28 pounds, due to being a neo 12" driver - very workable. Need to be full range for the JTV acoustic models.The sound man was impressed with my stage sound, as well - did not expect a PA speaker & guitar signal to sound good....

YMMV

Dave