Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New User JTV-59 with Line6 Spider Jam with a FBV Express MkII

Howdy All,

I have a JTV-59 on the way and was wondering What I need to do when it gets here?

I am an old man and new to all of this cool electronics that I wish I had 30 years ago.
I have a Line 6 Spider Jam with a FBV Express MkII.

Do I need to get a HD500 footboard to use with the USB cable to get all the different sounds from the piezo pickups?

If I only plug in with the old standard 1/4 cable does this guitar only function with the regular humbucker pickups?

I don't know if I am making any sense, but Thanks,

HI friend . . .

Good luck with your 59.  You can just use a standard 1/4" cable and will have access to both the piezo's and the humbuckers.  You do not need an HD500 to access all of the sounds.  The HD500 gives you some remote control options.  It allows you to change the guitar model, along with the amp model on the HD simply by changing the pre-set on the HD500.  The VDI cable that you connect to the HD500 will also power the JTV, instead of running on battery power.

• Upvote 1

Thanks again. It should would be cool to have a modeling guitar running through a modeling amp.

Inorder to play bypassing the battery, what is the least expensive alternative to plug the VDI cable into instead of a HD500?

Is that the only use of a VDI cable?

Aside from supplying power, the VDI connection allows for control of the Variax...you can switch models, tunings, even the position of the tone control can be recalled with the click of a switch. All get saved to a particular patch, but you need a compatible device. POD, Helix, etc.

Aside from supplying power, the VDI connection allows for control of the Variax...you can switch models, tunings, even the position of the tone control can be recalled with the click of a switch. All get saved to a particular patch, but you need a compatible device. POD, Helix, etc.

So you can't use the modeling with a typical guitar 1/4" jack?

Then, my question still is, what is the least expensive alternative to plug the VDI cable into instead of a HD500, or as you stated, POD, Helix, etc.?

I don't know what devices are compadible. I thought the VDI was the same as the Ethernet type plug in front of the Spider Jam amp that I have. What I've read in the pilots guide doesn't mention VDI. 

I'm getting more confused it seems.

Yes you can use the modeling with the 1/4" jack.  You cannot "remote control" the guitar unless you use the VDI cable though.  Forget about the ethernet type plug in the front of the Spider Jam.  It's not for VDI.

As far as the battery goes.  Even though I use an HD500, I run my Variax on battery, with a 1/4" cable because I use a wireless transmitter.   I simply change guitar models manually when I need to.  The battery will get you through hours of play and is rechargeable.  I purchased a spare, just in case the one in my guitar runs out, but I've never needed to use it. 

Think of using the Variax the same as a normal guitar, except you can change models with the turn of a dial.  The 1/4" will serve you just fine.  Don't worry about the VDI unless you get a POD X3, HD500, or Helix