Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro Sounding Like Lollipop?!

dourkingdoms

This is my first time on any forum so i have no idea what im doing so dont be patronising...

I have the Pod HD Pro in my studio but it sounds terrible?

I can make a nice tone that im happy with but it has a horrible fuzz, clipping/distorted sound on top of it, which is completely ruining the tone!

Imagine listen to a song that would sound great as WAV or 320kbs... but is coming out sounding like 128kbs. (that horrid, weak quailty)

The tone has lost all depth and clarity and its really starting to annoy me as my band are mid way through recording our EP but the more we focus on the guitar the more the bad quality stands out!

Nothing is actually clipping though, like the gain on the amp is pretty low, low master volume, its not clipping in the compressor or the DAW?

Seriously need help to find out whats wrong. Its been like this since i got it and im losing faith in line 6.

If anyone has experienced this and overcome it please tell me how? x

Check your Inputs to the preset. Try setting Input 2 to something other than SAME (e.g. set it to Aux, and don't connect anything to the Aux physical input).

Ive done all that! im literally just using one channel! I've even unplugged an XLR from the back so its just the one channel going into the mixer! Im stuck for ideas! 

• Upvote 1

I am just going to step back and suggest you double check that the output mode is studio direct...your description - "...it has a horrible fuzz, clipping/distorted sound on top of it, which is completely ruining the tone!..." echoes of the output mode being something other than studio direct...Or you are doing something crazy like running direct with No Cab and forgot to turn on your external IR. That is, if you are into such things...

Hard to guess without a clip...

Try using a clean fender style amp with no effects into the mixer and use "studio direct" output with a 57 mic and 2x12 cab simulation. If your signals are not showing clipped on the board then you should have a clean signal out.

I am just going to step back and suggest you double check that the output mode is studio direct...your description - "...it has a horrible fuzz, clipping/distorted sound on top of it, which is completely ruining the tone!..." echoes of the output mode being something other than studio direct...Or you are doing something crazy like running direct with No Cab and forgot to turn on your external IR. That is, if you are into such things...

Hard to guess without a clip...

What exactly does the studio direct thing do? and yes im using cabs from the pod 

What exactly does the studio direct thing do? and yes im using cabs from the pod 

Well, if you are recording direct, then you need to put the pod in studio direct mode....the other modes are for use with real guitar amps or power amps...DTs...The mic models are disabled in the other modes...ALL of the outputs take on the selected output mode...so if you are trying to record direct AND feed a real guitar amp using one of the combo or stack modes, the direct will sound like fuzzy a$$ while the amp sounds right...HD500 can't do dual output modes...not sure if this is your issue or not...good luck to you..