Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd300 Not Recognized, Installs As Unknown Device

tomfrost

Ok here's what happens, just bought this HD300 and it's not recognized by my 2 computers. Installed monkey, drivers, and it installs as unknown device. If I go in the driver properties, I see Mbox instead of Line 6 Pod hd300. I manually switch it to the correct one and it's still not detected by monkey or hd300 edit.Ok here's what happens, just bought this HD300 and it's not recognized by my 2 computers. Installed monkey, drivers, and it installs as unknown device. If I go in the driver properties, I see Mbox instead of Line 6 Pod hd300. I manually switch it to the correct one and it's still not detected by monkey or hd300 edit.

I'm on windows 8 64-bit. Tried multiple usb plugs: usb 2.0, 3.0, 2.0 with speed charging. Always the same. Also tried multiple versions of monkey and the driver, always from a clean install. Nothing.

Here's what I get, seems monkey never sees the driver installed even though I see it in device manager.

post-1803919-0-26051200-1374686631_thumb.png

I also have a ticket open and didn't get a reply for a week now... Here it is:

Pod HD300 Firmware 1.10 Connecting through USB to 2 different computer with Windows 8 64-bit, latest drivers and monkey. Not recognized. Driver is being installed as Unknown Device. If I go check the properties, it says the unknown device has the driver of a Digidesign Mbox. When manually changing the driver, it doesn't go through. Tried reverting to previous drivers and monkey, still not detected in Monkey. This is on both computers.

Help please! thank you

• 2 weeks later...

you can ship the item... if its in warranty you can even ship it direct to line6.

line6 doesn't do out of warranty work.

close is usually good to save a little on shipping...

but if you're out of warranty... you can try to get a quote and send it to whichever service center you like.

Yeah seems there's a lot in the same situation.

My ticket was finally answered. Was told unit is probably defective to bring it to a repair center. Closest one to me is 4 hours away...

this issue overall , is either a driver installation issue... a bad usb cable, or an issue of trying a more agreeable port on your machine... (rear instead of front, or usb2, instead of usb3 for examples)

outside of that you're likely looking at a service trip.... would not hurt to try a second machine to eliminate computer issues.

Yeah I use a the same USB cable as my audio interface to test it out so I'm sure the cable is working perfectly.

I tried 4 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB with power, 2 x Front USB.

I also tried on my laptop and it's the same thing.

I have 3 audio interfaces, midi keyboard, midi controller, external hard drives and they all work perfectly on my computer. They were all unplugged during the tests.

sounds like it's down to the unit.... which is what tech support already determined... sounds like you did all the right tests.

Yeah I use a the same USB cable as my audio interface to test it out so I'm sure the cable is working perfectly.

I tried 4 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB with power, 2 x Front USB.

I also tried on my laptop and it's the same thing.

I have 3 audio interfaces, midi keyboard, midi controller, external hard drives and they all work perfectly on my computer. They were all unplugged during the tests.

• 1 month later...

I posted this on another thread, but with your HDx00 plugged in, in Device Manager it should look something like this:

hd400driver.jpg

If you have an unknown device, then the driver install should work.  If, however, you don't have an unknown device, find the Sound, Video and Game Controllers device that is your HD.  (If there's not one, you have a problem with USB connectivity that software cannot fix.  At the least, I'd start with a flash restore on the HD, but that's a different problem.)

Once you have the device located, check its device properties in Device Manager (1).  You should be able to confirm the Hardware Ids (2).  The Plug and Play (PnP) ID that contains VID_0E41 confirms that this is the Line 6 device.  Assuming there's an incorrect driver associated with the device, it's probably because the HD was plugged in *before* the Line6 drivers were installed, and another driver matched on compatible IDs (3).  The best solution is to uninstall that driver, and remove it from the system (4).  You may have to reboot and repeat this process several times until you have your HD appearing as an unknown device.  (Keep it plugged in to the USB port through this process.)  Once that happens, unplug it from your PC, and follow the instructions to install the Line6 drivers.  Then, they will be the best match found when you plug the device in.

dmdrvrrmv.png

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434df9be5005ac8bcc52f/application/pdf/POD%20HD300%20Advanced%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf#page9

300 factory reset link, from the advanced guide.

I don't have any idea whether that will help, but if you don't get valid PnP IDs, Windows won't find the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434df9be5005ac8bcc52f/application/pdf/POD%20HD300%20Advanced%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf#page9

300 factory reset link, from the advanced guide.

I don't have any idea whether that will help, but if you don't get valid PnP IDs, Windows won't find the driver.

I have a problem. A button duplicates save button. This happened after replacing the tactile button. Can I repair this equipment?

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen much "support" from Line 6   :rolleyes: .....wondering if I made a mistake purchasing this product. :P

Here is a post I made in another thread...all I wanted was some help...because I REALLY do like my HD 300...it's a great unit,just having trouble interfacing with my laptop.

Hi...my name is Mike and I own the POD HD 300.I recently got a new laptop and installed the latest 300 Edit software.When I hook up everything,the No Device Connected prompt shows up on the edit program.I have uninstalled the software,re-installed software,rebooted computer,changed USB ports and USB cables.Still nothing.
I am running Windows 8.Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Anywho...I bet I'm not the 1st person to have this problem...ANY help would be appreciated.Thanks...

Have you tried contacting support? http://line6.com/company/contact/

I haven't seen much "support" from Line 6   :rolleyes: .....wondering if I made a mistake purchasing this product. :P

Here is a post I made in another thread...all I wanted was some help...because I REALLY do like my HD 300...it's a great unit,just having trouble interfacing with my laptop.

Hi...my name is Mike and I own the POD HD 300.I recently got a new laptop and installed the latest 300 Edit software.When I hook up everything,the No Device Connected prompt shows up on the edit program.I have uninstalled the software,re-installed software,rebooted computer,changed USB ports and USB cables.Still nothing.
I am running Windows 8.Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Anywho...I bet I'm not the 1st person to have this problem...ANY help would be appreciated.Thanks...

• Downvote 1

hey Zap....I just downloaded the latest edit software and Monkey...then I went through Monkey to check drivers.Downloaded latest driver onto computer,but for some reason,computer won't enable it when HD 300 mis plugged in.I'm at a loss....your tag says uber guru/Line 6 expert...any wisdom you can give me?I really wanna get this issue fixed.Thanks...

• Downvote 1

sometimes it's as simple as plugging into a different usb port, because if the device has never been plugged into that port before it will search and install the drivers again on its own.

there is also the option of getting the standalone driver install as well, and installing them outside of monkey.

http://line6.com/software/

here's the thing about Monkey...I used(or tried to) it to update driver on my HD 300.When it is connecting to the Line 6 site,it only gives the option for POD XT...apparently my 300 is just lying there...sorry to be a pain,but I'm a tad frustrated.I'll try what you said arislaf....thanks.

• Upvote 1

If you've already downloaded and tried to install the latest driver from the Line 6 website, but the pod is still considered unknown by the computer then try this:

Have your device (pod or whatever) unplugged then go to your Device Manager.  Plug in the pod.  You should see a new device pop up under the "Other devices" tab... and it should be labeled simply as "Unknown".  This is your pod.  Right click it and choose "Update Driver Software".  Choose to browse your computer for the driver software.  I had trouble with Windows 8 finding the driver even if I pointed it directly to the correct folder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Line6\Tools\Driver Archive\POD HD 300" for me.)  So I chose the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" option below that.

I then searched in the "Sound, video and game controllers" option for the hardware type, which brought up "Line 6" as a manufacturer option on the next page.  I then selected that and my appropriate driver (Pod HD300 for me.)  Windows briefly complained about unrecognized certificates or some such, at which point I said continue anyways.  A driver installing progress bar then started.  Strangely enough the progress bar seemed to get stuck (which shouldn't happen, this driver is small and should install pretty fast), but I let it run for about 5 minutes and then killed the process from task manager (just trying to exit the window doesn't work because Windows complains about you stopping a driver install before it's done... as it rightfully should, but the Line 6 software/drivers are just so buggy and hard to get going I had to go to drastic measures.)  After that it seemed fine; when I relaunch device manager the pod shows up as a recognized device under "Sound, video and game controllers."

Note that you may have to repeat this process for other USB ports if you plug into a different one next time, so maybe just try to be consistent about which one you use.

These instructions are what I did on Windows 8.1, but they should be valid for Windows 7 as well.  I'm not sure about Vista, perhaps.  Also note that the last step is pretty sketchy... so standard disclaimer: I'm not guaranteeing it will work on your own personal system, or even leave the system in tact, this is just what I had to do on my own computer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tonight I took my POD from it's box after a couple of weeks of rest. I was a bit surprised when it no longer worked as an audio interface. To be more precise, it no longer manages to communicate with any computer in any way. I'm a computer person in general and after a few hours of trying all sorts of things I am out of ideas. It seems the POD can turn into a brick at random. It is sending "usb/unknown" as its device id, so it won't accept any audio driver manually. Win7 thinks it's a USB controller so it will only let me choose from USB controller drivers and manually pointing at the .inf file fails to work. Using it on other computers confirms that it doesn't identify itself as a POD anymore. They all think it's an unknown USB controller.

Has anybody come up with another way to return the POD to its original state, where the OS can recognize it? Can't do a factory reset, since the computer cannot communicate with it at all. Any help would be much appreciated, I already tried all the USB ports, tried removing the USB hubs and adding some more. And I did nothing at all to bring this about. I just turned the damn thing on. I am using firmware v1.1 and apparently USB firmware 0.0. I was trying to upgrade to 1.2 when this happened. I mean, I never got that far. Noticed this when Monkey couldn't see the POD. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

harrs2...thanks friend.I may try that.I actually am on the verge of scuttling Loser6 completely...it's just not worth it to me.

Lousy "support",sketchy software etc.Ya know....sometimes a guy just wants some SOUND...not an off the cuff misadventure into the unwonderful world of make-believe.

How 'bout it guys?Some stuff you don't need a Computer Science degree in just to get it "fired up"?

Anyone here ever heard of music?It's a way of life for me....but apparently,not with Loser6.

Fire away boys....

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

If different usb port/different machine doesn't work, and factory restore or flash update doesn't work, try this:

Just do a midi dump from the pedal board itself. You don't need any midi software open on your computer, just make sure your computer is on and the pod hd300 is turned on and plugged into a usb port on your computer. Follow the instructions, that are in the manual, on how to do a midi dump -"ALL". You may need to power-cycle the pod and reboot your computer afterwards, but I've found that this does the trick every time.

Why this works: Honestly, since I don't work for Line 6, or have the schematics or any design information on the product I can't be 100% sure. My best guess would be that since the pods connect to, and exchange data with, the computer via midi-over-usb, there is a voltage-high(or low) situation with the eeprom. Kind of like when old analog telephones would act like they were busy when they weren't. There is the "on-hook" voltage(3v I think) that drops when you pick up the receiver. That change in voltage is the signal to the phone company's switch that signals that the phone is in use. When you hang up the phone, the voltage goes back up. If the voltage gets stuck low, then it looks like the phone is always busy. The only way to fix that was to disconnect the exterior test jack or incoming lines, temporarily, to reset the voltage. Doing a midi dump on the pod hd300 acts much the same as disconnecting and reconnecting the exterior phone lines.

Give it a try. If this works for you, let Line 6 know. And if you're the Line 6 moderator reading this, and it works as a consistent solution, let your bosses know. I could use a change in jobs.  ;-)

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in perfectly same situation with the guys above, except that I'm using POD HD500.
Even though I tried to find how to MIDI dump, I couldn't find it out... It seems HD500's firmware and HD300's are different.

So... If you know how to adjust(or reset) the voltage of HD500, could you please tell me?
Or is MIDI dump available in my device as well??

leehjin0711,

I've never used the HD500 before, but I can get access to one. I've been doing tech. support for 20 years and am pretty good at troubleshooting stuff like this with a bit more information. If you could specify the version of Windows that you are using, any specific error messages about unknown device, maybe a screenshot of device manager that would help. From reading the manuals, I can tell you that the HD500 doesn't use midi-over-usb. So, chances are that you're problem is being caused by something else.

The obvious things to consider are: proper usb cable(not all usb cables are equal); make sure that you are plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on your computer; and make sure that the usb port is NOT part of a hub. *NOTE: pretty much every desktop computer, these days, has usb ports on the front of the computer for easy-access. The problem with that, is that they are usually part of an onboard hub on the motherboard. I've noticed that the only way to use the POD HD series in this situation is to NEVER plug anything else into those ports; not even a usb thumbdrive. It's always best to connect a POD to usb port on the back of a computer.

If the internal sound card on your computer has midi in-out DINs, using MIDI cables to send sysex commands from software MAY be useful, but doubtful.

AGAIN, if you could specify the exact problem, how you're connecting the POD to your computer, version of Windows, and most useful would be a screenshot of the device manager(specifically, anything listed as "unknown device" and universal serial bus controllers) I would have a better chance at solving your problem.

I, sadly, enjoy solving these types of problems. :D So, if you want post the info., I'd be happy to dig deeper and find a solution for you.

Sonny

Thank you alot for your kind reply.

I'm Korean.. so I hope you could understandwhat I'm writing below without any trouble.

I'm using a laptop with windows 7 64 bit.

Few months ago, all things were available when I first connected my POD with my laptop.

However, someday my laptop couldn't connect POD.

I haven't tested my usb cable or changed it with another cable yet, but whenever I plug the usb into my laptop I could hear a signal sound, which expresses its connection.

I had doubted my laptop, so I restored my OS by using Norton Ghost and tried to connect POD again. But, it is still not working.

I've been heard that if I unplugged the usb cable from a computer without system inquiring, it might cause a usb chipset or a usb port to be broken.

But, I didn't even think it was possible cuz I thought the chipsets could bear that low currency which possibly caused when the cable recklessly unplugged.

Do you think its possible?

Here's screenshots of my device manager.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115829361866058660382/albums/6143202141892562161/6143202145609111890

If you couldn't see the pic, would you please tell me your email address? I will send you the pics via ur e-mail.

Sincerely.

Jeremy Hojin Lee.

Jeremy,

The issue of unplugging usb devices without ejecting/unmounting them in windows was done away with in Windows 7. Even if it was still a problem, that would normally just impact flash cards and usb drives/ipods(things with accessable storage).

Now, I think this should work, but it involves a lot of steps, so you may want to print this out: *Make a backup of your system, or important settings, and if you have tones saved to your computer. Shouldn't be a problem, but I always recommend doing a backup before troubleshooting.

1) Make sure that you are using an account that has Administrative privilages and, if possible, that the account has full read-write permissions in the registry.

2) Make sure that the following services are enabled: Windows Installer, Windows Modules Installer, UPnP Device Host, and Plug and Play.

3) Make sure that you have the ORIGINAL installation software that was used when you first installed the PODHD500 and it worked.

4) Look for the following files on your computer, making note of where they are originally located:

ksthunk.sys,

L6PODHD###.sys( the '#' represents version number of the driver. for example L6PODHD564.sys)

portcls.sys

L6podhd5_x64.dll

L6podhd5.dll

copy these files to a folder on your hard drive, where Windows won't automatically look for drivers. Like C:\podbak

5) Open the registry using regedit. Making sure that the computer icon at the very top is what is highlighted,left click on "File", then "Export" to save a copy of the entire registry.

6) Making sure that NOTHING is plugged into any usb port, use the Line6 uninstaller, or through "Programs and Features" in Control Panel, uninstall everything related to the PODHD install. Yours may just list the Line6 Uninstaller, but if it lists Line6 EDIT and Monkey, uninstall those as well.

7) Reboot your computer.

8) Go into device manager and uninstall EVERYTHING listed in "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". (Windows should reinstall the correct ones on reboot).

9) Reboot your computer.

10) Go back to where you ORIGINALLY found the five driver files, listed above, and delete them(remember, you made backups of those files).

11) Delete the "Line6" folder from the Program Files directory.

12) Go back into the registry and delete the keys related to the PODHD500. Look under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. There may still be one or two keys labeled "PODHD500Edit.PODHD500Bundle" and "PODHD500Edit.PODHD500Patch" *Note that Line6 Edit is the SAME for all PODHDs, so it MAY say "PODHD300". Also, if it's still there in the registry after having uninstalled it through Control Panel, delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Line6. Since you are using 64-bit, it may be somewhere else(I don't have a 64-bit machine where I'm at right now, so I'm not sure about all your registry settings).

13) Reboot your computer.

14) Make sure that your PODHD500 is turned on but NOT plugged into a usb port on your computer; make sure nothing is plugged into a usb port. Run the Line6 installation software that you ORIGINALLY used to install the POD when it worked.

15) When the installer prompts you to connect the device, make sure to plug it into a USB 2 port (NOT a USB 3). For best results, plug it into the usb port that you FIRST used with the original install.

Again, this SHOULD work. Just remember the specific port that you plugged the POD into upon successful install.Because, you will want to ONLY use THAT port for the PODHD500. DO NOT plug ANYTHING else into that port, and don't plug the POD into any of the others. Techinically, all of the usb ports on your laptop are part of a hub. Line6 products must have exclusive association with a usb's assigned address. This is why Line6 tells you not to use a usb hub.

Best of luck

• 3 weeks later...

mus1prod,

Thank you for your solutions, and sorry for my late reply. I tried and followed the steps you had shown to me.

However, it didn't work for me. I think the problem of mine is not related to the software but the hardware of my POD. This beacause I've got found physically broken usb connector from my POD. Even though the four pins still exist, however, I think it makes my laptop not be able to find the POD device. Do you think the usb chipset is broken either?

I think I should get the POD repaired.

I really appreciate for your every help, I will tell you if I solve the problem.

leehojin0711,

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I was hoping that it was a Windows issue(most of the time it is). I have noticed a lot more posts online about the HD500 having damaged usb ports. Well, if it's still under warranty, open a trouble ticket with Line 6 to have them repair it or exchange it for a new one. If it's not under warranty, this site has a lot of good info. on parts and replacements: 

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand.php?brand_id=LN6&rewrite_name=Replacement-Service-Parts&query=POD+HD500

Best of luck!