Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Returning Line6 customer with a quality question

thewall1971

Hi all

I've search the internet before asking this question but didn't find anything. I'm hoping that's a good thing. I owned one of the first HD500s when they came out. I had the unit for only a few months and the USB port fell apart on it and stopped working. I am very careful with my gear and this pedal never really left my studio. I did read that a lot of the 500s back then had cheap USB ports and that this was a common thing. I was able to return it to guitar center with the extended coverage and sold the new one 6 months later. So... I just purchased a new HD500x and was wondering if anyone knows if Line6 improved the quality of the USB port. Are they more durable? I appreciate any feedback from the experts!

Cheers.

I have both a 500 and 500X, and as far as I can tell, both ports look exactly the same. I've never had a problem with either one, but I rarely ever move either device, and I also rarely plug or unplug the usb port cable, because of the problems you mentioned.

I don't believe there is any change in the USB ports between the HD500 and HD500X. There may have been an improvement in the manufacturing process in this area but no one would know about that - it's just an inference from the fact that there haven't been many recent reports about it with the HD500X, and it was quite common with the HD500. But the design and the part itself seems to be the same.

I have had no problem with my 500. And I am usually plugging it in and out numerous times a week for setlist altering or patch creation/backup (I am involved in multiple projects). 

Until I have one of those 'common' problems, I base everyone's problem on user error. I realize that people will bash me for and cry "I didn't do anything wrong but it broke anyhow", but sometimes it needs said. My plug has been used extensively, but never abused. And I am sitting with a fully functional unit. 

Good luck with your new unit.

Until I have one of those 'common' problems, I base everyone's problem on user error. I realize that people will bash me .....

I am not wanting to 'bash' you, but I find your stance on this quite interesting. Seems that as long as you don't experience a problem yourself, anyone else who experiences the problem is doing something wrong. But if you started to experience the problem yourself, you wouldn't be doing something wrong - it would be a problem with the device. Interestingly self-righteous!

I am not wanting to 'bash' you, but I find your stance on this quite interesting. Seems that as long as you don't experience a problem yourself, anyone else who experiences the problem is doing something wrong. But if you started to experience the problem yourself, you wouldn't be doing something wrong - it would be a problem with the device. Interestingly self-righteous!

And you would be absolutely correct, given the limited response I gave. It's not that I am beyond reproach. But rather, I cannot consistently be the lucky customer of every product I buy --- the one that does not receive the broken unit. 

Unfortunately, the word 'common', is losing it's meaning in modern society. Common problems aren't common in the digital age, they are just searchable on a global scale. 

For example, the fact that you can do an internet search of a couple billion websites and see a hundred people that had a certain problem with a certain device ---- that does not make it common. That just means that the help desk is searchable. And face it, it is the internet, many of the posts one sees can be by the same person repeating their problem to others. 

If it was a true common problem, I am sure that the good people at L6 would have fixed it - if not in the newer 500's, then in the 500x. 

Besides, at this point, if my usb breaks, I would chalk it up to old age. Normal wear and tear. Not defectiveness. 

**this is also the reason why people with certain quirks in their personality assume that they are normal. Out of the 7 billion people in the world, they can find a global support group of 1000 people who try to normalize themselves. 

• Upvote 2

This discussion happens on every tech product forum. A group of people have a similar problem and another group doesnt. Someone from the defect group expresses disappointment in the product. Then someone from the unaffected group points fingers at the affected users defending the product - it must be user error. Product fails. How does it get better? Users voice their experience. Hopefully company hears it and improves. It is great to have some happy loyal fans but we shouldn't stand in the way where there are some users that need resolution to a real problem. If it's one person with a questionable issue? Sure. But clearly even the best made products can have batches with problems that need attention. Lets not impede that process.

I don't move my HD500X around much so I just leave the USB cable plugged in and run it back behind my amp.  I plug the regular USB cable it into a USB extension cable that runs around to the other side of the amp.  Then I only mess with the USB extension cable and don't even touch the one for the POD.