Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EXP Squeaks when I put my foot on it to use it.

jaminjimlp

EXP Squeaks when I put my foot on it to use it for the wah (or what ever). It seems to be scrubbing the side of the opening. I had not put this baby on the floor until the other day and soon as I went to use it well it squeaked and I tried to move my foot to the right and it still dose it , if I barley touch it or move it with my hand it doesn't do it but that's not how I use my regular wah wah or my other EXP, any one else have this happen?

I posted in bug thread on this as well.

But then will pedal move too easily? What type of "lube" will not effect parts inside, not lose the required friction of the pedal, and easy to apply?

Having never seen one in person it's hard to say, but if I were to make an educated guess, I would say that you shouldn't use anything thin that will run all over the place, potentially messing up something else. Something like white silicon grease might do the trick...consistency is more of an ointment than a liquid, and you shouldn't need much. A little goes a long way. Found in any auto supply store.

Having never seen one in person it's hard to say, but if I were to make an educated guess, I would say that you shouldn't use anything thin that will run all over the place, potentially messing up something else. Something like white silicon grease might do the trick...consistency is more of an ointment than a liquid, and you shouldn't need much. A little goes a long way. Found in any auto supply store.

The white silicon grease is what I have found on the underside of a few of my wah pedals.

The white silicon grease is what I have found on the underside of a few of my wah pedals.

Hmmm - careful here, often that type of grease can attract/retain grit and such.  My understanding is the pedal mech on the Helix is a sort of "blade" affair, yes?  As opposed to a geared plunger?  First thing I'd probably try is to get some TriFlow (hardware stores and such), a teflon based spray - rock the pedal back, spray some on your finger, and wipe on the blade (thus avoiding excess and dripping).  Just a thought....

Hmmm - careful here, often that type of grease can attract/retain grit and such. My understanding is the pedal mech on the Helix is a sort of "blade" affair, yes? As opposed to a geared plunger? First thing I'd probably try is to get some TriFlow (hardware stores and such), a teflon based spray - rock the pedal back, spray some on your finger, and wipe on the blade (thus avoiding excess and dripping). Just a thought....

Perhaps. Though on a long enough time line, anything you put in there will attract crud to some degree. Life is filthy...

• 1 month later...

Thank you for reposting this, I thought I had read it, but then searched for it and got the standard "No results found" for every search I tried. Like I said this device is becoming a full time job. I can't see any access to any adjustable or "greasable" points without opening it up. The response I have gotten from Line 6 to my wah no sound post is the standard, "did you do everything exactly as posted, and if not the one step (which may be that I sneezed between step 3 and 4, which may have caused it all!" I will be using it one last time WITH update 1.04 for a charity event WITH many other musicians this weekend and if it does anything but work perfectly it will be sent back for a refund after letting every single person there see what a piece of lollipop line 6 is selling for $1500. This is even bad for Line 6 which is saying a lot because honestly I don't expect a lot out of any modeling company except that it produces a sound, it doesn't stop producing a sound, it doesn't break, it doesn't sound like complete garbage, it doesn't require hours of my own time for any amount of money under 2k, which lets face it, this does in every single aspect.

Thank you for reposting this, I thought I had read it, but then searched for it and got the standard "No results found" for every search I tried. Like I said this device is becoming a full time job. I can't see any access to any adjustable or "greasable" points without opening it up. The response I have gotten from Line 6 to my wah no sound post is the standard, "did you do everything exactly as posted, and if not the one step (which may be that I sneezed between step 3 and 4, which may have caused it all!" I will be using it one last time WITH update 1.04 for a charity event WITH many other musicians this weekend and if it does anything but work perfectly it will be sent back for a refund after letting every single person there see what a piece of lollipop line 6 is selling for $1500. This is even bad for Line 6 which is saying a lot because honestly I don't expect a lot out of any modeling company except that it produces a sound, it doesn't stop producing a sound, it doesn't break, it doesn't sound like complete garbage, it doesn't require hours of my own time for any amount of money under 2k, which lets face it, this does in every single aspect.

maybe you should: 

Open a Support Ticket

Contact our expert tech support staff directly via a support ticket. You will get a response within three business days. Response time may increase during holiday periods. To see your ticket, click My Account, then click Support Tickets.

or have you?

I really love my Helix, I think it sounds great! 

try this one out tell me what you think: http://line6.com/support/topic/16678-check-out-my-new-preset-and-irs/?do=findComment&comment=122944

this one was my first atemt at a preset and I think I have gotten better

http://line6.com/support/topic/16269-new-helix-preset-test-of-acoustic-model/?do=findComment&comment=119988

Helix didn't make it to the gig! Turned it on this morning, full 1.04.1 update in place, presets restored, and sound output was shut off as soon as the wah pedal toe switch was pressed!! So to be clear for the support team: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 AND 1.04 ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I used custom user patches as well as line 6 patches and ALL PATCHES HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! I did some playing around and believe the problem to be in the flimsy foot pedal design on this thing. You know the one, that squeaks, rubs, feels like it's breaking! Yes' that's the one! If I reboot it and depress the toe switch with my hand it seems to be fine. If I stand up and use my foot it shuts off. Also occasionally it will work right after a reset as long as I keep my foot on the expression pedal. I rock it back and forth, engage/disengage, play for minutes and it stays on (if it works), but as soon as I take my foot off of the expression pedal and then try to use it again, when the toe switch is pressed it shuts off. Very strange. Good job line 6! Great collection of fake sounding amps and minimal effects, now all you have to do is get it to work!!! Good luck, mine is going back and I'll never buy anything over $400 from you again, but after this I don't think you'll be making stuff over $4-500 again! You found your niche', cheap, fake, crap.

Helix didn't make it to the gig! Turned it on this morning, full 1.04.1 update in place, presets restored, and sound output was shut off as soon as the wah pedal toe switch was pressed!! So to be clear for the support team: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 AND 1.04 ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I used custom user patches as well as line 6 patches and ALL PATCHES HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! I did some playing around and believe the problem to be in the flimsy foot pedal design on this thing. You know the one, that squeaks, rubs, feels like it's breaking! Yes' that's the one! If I reboot it and depress the toe switch with my hand it seems to be fine. If I stand up and use my foot it shuts off. Also occasionally it will work right after a reset as long as I keep my foot on the expression pedal. I rock it back and forth, engage/disengage, play for minutes and it stays on (if it works), but as soon as I take my foot off of the expression pedal and then try to use it again, when the toe switch is pressed it shuts off. Very strange. Good job line 6! Great collection of fake sounding amps and minimal effects, now all you have to do is get it to work!!! Good luck, mine is going back and I'll never buy anything over $400 from you again, but after this I don't think you'll be making stuff over $4-500 again! You found your niche', cheap, fake, crap.

when you say that it is when you push the toe switch i wonder if it is the setting in the switch functions under the switch control menu, if you go into that and see what the toe switch on exp is then you might see the problem could be it is set to some global setting that's not right

Nope. Went to a patch with no volume and no wah (no expression what so ever) in it and when you press the toe switch the same thing happens. No sound till reboot. It is definitely the flimsy design of the expression pedal with regards to the inner layout. You can feel the expression pedal flex and the inside of the unit as well. i looked on the bottom of the unit and think I found the problem. There's a huge "Made in China" sticker on it. Again, my fault, should have expected nothing different.

Nope. Went to a patch with no volume and no wah (no expression what so ever) in it and when you press the toe switch the same thing happens. No sound till reboot. It is definitely the flimsy design of the expression pedal with regards to the inner layout. You can feel the expression pedal flex and the inside of the unit as well. i looked on the bottom of the unit and think I found the problem. There's a huge "Made in China" sticker on it. Again, my fault, should have expected nothing different.

your unit is definitely defective ... I would return it for another....

Mine is squeaking badly as well.  Tried lubricating the screw, no such luck. Doesn't really look like it's rubbing on the blade side either....almost internal.  I opened a ticket and all they said was send it in for repair.  Was hoping to avoid that as I haven't even been able to update or backup my patches I've created because of El Capitan issues.  Guess my point is they haven't come up with a fix the customer can perform.  I would expect this issue to grow though.  I think if I have to pack it up, it will go to MF for a refund and not sure I'll replace it. Long wait, bad release issues are not being overcome by the wow and price factor.  Still if anyone comes up with a fix, I'd be interested.

hey check out this thread!!! the guy documents the same thing you said is happening to you

http://line6.com/support/topic/17236-exp-toe-switch-output-killer/

I too had a squeaky pedal on my helix (not my ankle). It was actually very loud and annoying. The solution was to remove the bottom cover, completely remove the expression pedal, and lube up the squeaky parts. There are two metal brackets attached to the pedal that must be removed before the whole thing can come out of the unit. Remove the large screw, washers, and plastic bushings. Lube the inner plastic bushings paying close attention to the flange surfaces and re-assemble the pedal in reverse order.

The pedal is smoother and completely quiet now. Much improved.

If you are mechanically inclined, this procedure is not hard, but I would caution anyone who is not handy with a wrench. This is something that your local service center could fix easily and it only takes about 15 minutes.

I have dealt with similar issues in my line of work.

I would suggest Line 6 look at their manufacturing procedures and add the lubrication of the plastic bushings to the assembly instructions. These bushings are supposed to facilitate the smooth quiet actuation of the pedal, but they are binding and causing squeaking instead.

An alternative solution would be to make these bushings out of a self lubricating plastic like Delrin. They are currently PC/ABS most likely.

• Upvote 5

I too had a squeaky pedal on my helix (not my ankle). It was actually very loud and annoying. The solution was to remove the bottom cover, completely remove the expression pedal, and lube up the squeaky parts. There are two metal brackets attached to the pedal that must be removed before the whole thing can come out of the unit. Remove the large screw, washers, and plastic bushings. Lube the inner plastic bushings paying close attention to the flange surfaces and re-assemble the pedal in reverse order.

The pedal is smoother and completely quiet now. Much improved.

If you are mechanically inclined, this procedure is not hard, but I would caution anyone who is not handy with a wrench. This is something that your local service center could fix easily and it only takes about 15 minutes.

I have dealt with similar issues in my line of work.

I would suggest Line 6 look at their manufacturing procedures and add the lubrication of the plastic bushings to the assembly instructions. These bushings are supposed to facilitate the smooth quiet actuation of the pedal, but they are binding and causing squeaking instead.

An alternative solution would be to make these bushings out of a self lubricating plastic like Delrin. They are currently PC/ABS most likely.

Excellent to be aware of this sort of thing. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Removing the bottom cover and loosening the pedal set screw with the supplied allen wrench let me put a couple small smears of lithium grease between the pedal and the bushing.

It didn't stop squeaking until I put a couple drops of Tri Flow in there.

So far, so good.

Saved time and $ shipping it back.

• 5 years later...
39 minutes ago, johnnyvlee said:

You guys should talk about what lube you used for this, or more importantly what lube others should NOT use for this?

Hi again,

This is your second 5 years old thread resurrection for the Easter weekend - this could become a zombie thread apocalypse!

2 hours ago, johnnyvlee said:

You guys should talk about what lube you used for this, or more importantly what lube others should NOT use for this?

Dry lubes seem like a safer bet in general. They have a tendency to gather less dirt and dust and stay put very well.  When mine started to squeak I used the one at the link below and one application(just loosened things up a bit with the big Allen wrench, applied, and retightened, did not have to open chassis) has lasted for years and still going.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17R7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1