Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Disable Cab in Amp+Cab without changing blocks?

Travis_Matte

I have been playing around with my helix for about a week now. I use a Matrix Gt800FX into a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 for my live rig and would like to preserve some of the presets.  This means being able to turn off the Cab in the Amp+Cab block as a good 80% - 90% of the presets have that block instead of seperate Amp and Cab blocks. (yes I know I can go just direct but for jamming and such it's just easier to be able to shut off the cab sims)

So far, the only way I would be able to do what I have just said is to write down the settings and then change to an amp block and put in all the settings manually.  Can someone tell me if this is possible?  If it isn't, perhaps Line 6 could simply add a "DI" cab impulse as a simple workaround without having to do any intense programming.

-Travis

I agree there are some GLOBAL type things that LIne6 could add that would make our lives easier.

-let us program the multi in multi out to mean what WE want. For instance, I like to play sound clips from my computer via USB 3,4 and don't want to change the input setting every preset change.

-give us a global setting to allow preamp only/ amp only allowing us to try different presets without having to turn off cabs etc for each. This could also be done by giving a global amp/cab/IR setting which would bypass each preset model.

• Upvote 1

I have been playing around with my helix for about a week now. I use a Matrix Gt800FX into a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 for my live rig and would like to preserve some of the presets.  This means being able to turn off the Cab in the Amp+Cab block as a good 80% - 90% of the presets have that block instead of seperate Amp and Cab blocks. (yes I know I can go just direct but for jamming and such it's just easier to be able to shut off the cab sims)

So far, the only way I would be able to do what I have just said is to write down the settings and then change to an amp block and put in all the settings manually.  Can someone tell me if this is possible?  If it isn't, perhaps Line 6 could simply add a "DI" cab impulse as a simple workaround without having to do any intense programming.

-Travis

in the current firmware, it is not possible to globally disable the cabs on "Amp+Cab" models, but they are easy to bypass when you have separate "Amp" and "Cab" models. I know it is more work than you'd like to do, as mentioned on your post, but if you just write down the settings manually for the "Amp+Cab" models and then separate them into "Amp" and "Cab" models, you can always send them to separate outputs and plug into whatever you would like to use (i.e. you could send the output "before the cab" to the 1/4" outs and the output "after the cab" to XLR, that way you can plug into XLR live and have the cabs in the chain or just plug into the 1/4" outs and go into the Matrix,  bypassing the cabs... Or you can even plug into both at a time. Don't even need a separate foot switch or menu setting to do this.

This is a related, but not exactly same question: Can we get an option for "global cab off" only for certain channels, for example, on 1/4'' outputs?

I have a Kemper, which has this option where you can do global cab-sim off only for monitor out (which is mono). This allows users to use a power amp/guitar cab as their monitor and send the cab-simulated XLR output to FOH. I know you can do this on Helix, using parallel routing etc. But this will eat up DSP power and routing possibility and moreover, will have to be done per-preset, which is not ideal...

I think Helix's tone comes quite close to Kemper in terms of dynamics and usability, but with two issues I see including this (another one being patch switching gap), I might have to return this great device.

-Jake

I have a Kemper, which has this option where you can do global cab-sim off only for monitor out (which is mono). This allows users to use a power amp/guitar cab as their monitor and send the cab-simulated XLR output to FOH. I know you can do this on Helix, using parallel routing etc. But this will eat up DSP power and routing possibility and moreover, will have to be done per-preset, which is not ideal...

The KPA's cabs eat up DSP as well, regardless of whether or not they're disabled globally—you just don't see the hit, as Kemper employs fixed-DSP allocation.

I kinda like the idea of globally disabling all cab blocks, but we'd need some sort of warning on the home screen so people wouldn't freak out (kinda like the Global EQ icon); it's worth submitting on IdeaScale.

The KPA's cabs eat up DSP as well, regardless of whether or not they're disabled globally—you just don't see the hit, as Kemper employs fixed-DSP allocation.

I kinda like the idea of globally disabling all cab blocks, but we'd need some sort of warning on the home screen so people wouldn't freak out (kinda like the Global EQ icon); it's worth submitting on IdeaScale.

Thank you Digital_Igloo for the prompt response.

Another subtle issue in achieving this through signal routing is that, you will have to split the signal right before before cab-sim and route it to 1/4'' output channel for monitor, for example. Then, don't you lose the effects you placed after the cab block from the monitor, unless you place all the effect before cab? Is my speculation correct? If yes, I think this could be an issue to some users, because time-based effects like delay or reverb sound much better when placed after cab block. Please correct me if wrong.

I am kinda new here (although being quite a long time Line6 user) and new to IdeaScale. Did anybody already submit this one? If not, I can submit one :)

Thanks! Jake-

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Digital_Igloo for the prompt response.

Another subtle issue in achieving this through signal routing is that, you will have to split the signal right before before cab-sim and route it to 1/4'' output channel for monitor, for example. Then, don't you lose the effects you placed after the cab block from the monitor, unless you place all the effect before cab? Is my speculation correct? If yes, I think this could be an issue to some users, because time-based effects like delay or reverb sound much better when placed after cab block. Please correct me if wrong.

I am kinda new here (although being quite a long time Line6 user) and new to IdeaScale. Did anybody already submit this one? If not, I can submit one :)

Thanks! Jake-

This is not one of my top priorities as I will generally be using the amp/cab modeling capabilities of the Helix but the points DI makes about a global indicator on the home screen, and the the point jayekim makes about automatically resolving routing implications when the amps/cabs are disabled, are good ones. Implementing the capacity for globally disabling amps/cabs might be a win for Line6 as it helps to position the Helix in the marketplace as an effects only unit as well for those who want to use it that way. The more Helix units that are adopted by the musical community the more support we can hope to see for this incredible processor in the future.

• 8 months later...

I have been playing around with my helix for about a week now. I use a Matrix Gt800FX into a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 for my live rig and would like to preserve some of the presets. This means being able to turn off the Cab in the Amp+Cab block as a good 80% - 90% of the presets have that block instead of seperate Amp and Cab blocks. (yes I know I can go just direct but for jamming and such it's just easier to be able to shut off the cab sims)

So far, the only way I would be able to do what I have just said is to write down the settings and then change to an amp block and put in all the settings manually. Can someone tell me if this is possible? If it isn't, perhaps Line 6 could simply add a "DI" cab impulse as a simple workaround without having to do any intense programming.

-Travis

I agree that a global setting to bypass cabs whether they are in an amp+cab or in separate amp & cab blocks would be great to have. Just wanted to point out that simply adding new separate amp and cab blocks to a preset (delete the old amp+cab block when you are done) and using the amp button to flip back and forth to the existing amp+cab block and match up the settings is simpler than writing down the settings. This is how I have done it when I ended up splitting out my amp+cab blocks.

An Action to separate a combined Amp+Cab into separate Amp and Cab blocks with the same settings would be very helpful, not just for people who didn't want the cab at all, but also to be able to choose them separately.