Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4CM with Ext Amp Control issues with Exp Pedal Position

JC-Tonequest

I'm having any issue with my Helix. When I'm using the 4CM and ext amp jack hooked up to my Friedman JJ100 my expression pedal position will not go to 100%. I should say that it does, when I first turn on the unit but after a few minutes the display will only read 98-99%. If I unplug the cable from the ext amp control jack the position immediately goes to 100%. Plug it back in and it only reads 98-99%. Same thing if I turn the amp on and off.

This is my 2nd Helix. I sent my 1st one back last week and promptly received my replacement unit yesterday. Kudos to Line 6 Customer Support. However, the replacement unit has the same exact issue.

Can anyone else replicate this issue?

D.I. do you guys have any ideas?

I don't think getting another Helix replacement is going to solve the problem. I'm thinking it's an overall issue with either hardware or firmware.

HELP!!!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update this post because the issue has been resolved.

Line 6 found that the issue could only be resolved with a simple internal mod. They rented a Friedman JJ100 in order to troubleshoot and find a fix. It took them awhile to get this all done, but they stuck to it. D.I. followed the whole process and kept me updated on a regular basis. At the end of the day, Line 6 stepped up to the plate and did what was right and resolved my issue. They have been a class act the whole time. Top notch!

Thanks again D.I.

To anyone that has a Friedman out there or will be getting one, this mod will need to be done to your Helix if you plan on using it to channel switch the amp.

Not exactly sure what the mod is. It may vary with each amp type. I know it was pretty simple but it was internal to the Helix for my situation. There was a cable mod that had to be done for a Mesa MarkV:25. Sounds like it's becoming more of an issue with other amps as people start using the 4CM. Hopefully D.I. will respond to this post but each of you need to submit a support ticket to get the issues documented and drive resolution. Good luck. Don't give up. The Helix is awesome and Line 6 will make it right.

This may be the fix-all ticket?  Not sure but I would rather do an external type "fix".  And can provide ground loop isolation.

http://line6.com/support/topic/16178-helix-4cm-amp-switch-mesa-v25-and-mesa-mini-rect-not-working/?p=132241

Very possibly the solution. Line 6 should have used relays to begin with. I am quite disappointed that they cheaped out on such an expensive device.

Line 6 should mass-produce these adapters and offer them for free to everyone that purchased the Helix. Otherwise, they are falsely advertising the amp switching feature. They are backpedalling now by saying that there is no guarantee, but it could have all been solved by another couple dollars in parts.

• Upvote 2

I'm having any issue with my Helix. When I'm using the 4CM and ext amp jack hooked up to my Friedman JJ100 my expression pedal position will not go to 100%. I should say that it does, when I first turn on the unit but after a few minutes the display will only read 98-99%. If I unplug the cable from the ext amp control jack the position immediately goes to 100%. Plug it back in and it only reads 98-99%. Same thing if I turn the amp on and off.

This is my 2nd Helix. I sent my 1st one back last week and promptly received my replacement unit yesterday. Kudos to Line 6 Customer Support. However, the replacement unit has the same exact issue.

Can anyone else replicate this issue?

D.I. do you guys have any ideas?

I don't think getting another Helix replacement is going to solve the problem. I'm thinking it's an overall issue with either hardware or firmware.

HELP!!!

i have the same issue with my orange dual terror amp...plus an immense ground loop when i connect the switch jacks...

...and it´s my second helix as well...;-)

Very possibly the solution. Line 6 should have used relays to begin with. I am quite disappointed that they cheaped out on such an expensive device.

Line 6 should mass-produce these adapters and offer them for free to everyone that purchased the Helix. Otherwise, they are falsely advertising the amp switching feature. They are backpedalling now by saying that there is no guarantee, but it could have all been solved by another couple dollars in parts.

they should offer a hardware mod for those who need it...i actually also don´t want to carry an extra tool....that´s not what it´s been meant to be...