Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Schedule of Software Updates

Paultm

Hi,

Want to get a feel for the planned software updates?

We are all eagerly waiting for the next bug fixes and additional functionality, I work for a software author and theses are planned events, Line 6 may not know what the final content maybe yet  but there will be a schedule of next releases.

Can you please give us visibility?

Thanks

Paul

Line 6 has a long standing policy, like many other companies, of not commenting on work in progress. On rare occasions they may comment on up-coming bug-fixes if they deem it sufficiently important. They have been burnt many times in the past on setting customer expectations, then being called "late".

• Upvote 1

I completely disagree on this.  As Oz said, bug-fixes are a different story but revealing your business strategy / development plan would be poor business sense.  Why would you ever want your competition to know what you're planning on doing?  Keep it secret.... keep it safe.... 

Experience says that even announcing the next release date, excluding any content info, is problematic. Any unforeseen delay in the release schedule/date - and that happens for good reasons often enough - triggers a deluge of dissatisfied customer complaints. Line 6 has been there, done that, and no longer does it. Can't blame them, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

I've been a software developer for over 20 years.  We make estimates and attempt to adhere to tentative schedules which need to be very flexible.  The Helix development team does not necessarily have the type of fixed update schedule in place that you believe they have.  When a sufficient amount of bug-fix goals have been met and tested to a high degree of confidence, then the updates will roll out.  It's not as cut and dry as you have made it out to be and I don't see why Line 6 (or any company) would go out on a limb to say something will be ready before they know for sure.  That would put them in a bad light in situations where they could not meet any posted schedule.

• Upvote 3

Looks like FW 1.03.0 and the Helix Application 1.01 are both dropping tomorrow morning. Was going to be this afternoon, but we want to bang on them a bit longer.

Nothing yet. After the weekend then I guess? Take your time guys, rather test and polish a bit more. Looking forward to some extra free candy soon :)

I don't own a Helix yet, but plan to.  I'm waiting for the glitches to get fixed. The wait is killing me.   With that said, would the release of the new updates be tied in any way to the production/release of the next round of Helix units?

I can't imagine they would be tied in any way.  The two are mutually exclusive.  When an update is ready, you just download it and your unit is up-to-date, regardless of what production run it came from.  The glitches that are being resolved are software glitches - they are not changing the hardware, just the software (firmware, in the case of the on-board software).

I can't imagine they would be tied in any way.  The two are mutually exclusive. 

To be pedantic for a second:

Mutually exclusive = relationship = tied (they cannot happen at the same time).

They are more likely to be as per your first sentence, fully independent of each other.

• Upvote 1

To be pedantic for a second:

Mutually exclusive = relationship = tied (they cannot happen at the same time).

They are more likely to be as per your first sentence, fully independent of each other.

Yeah, poor choice of words.  I'm on a lot of cold medicine.  Wait til tonight when I get to natures cold medicine (Jim Beam).  Then my posts will really make sense...  ;)

• Upvote 1