Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Helix world....what's an IR?

pwik

It is as described in the link above, and to simplify for this context, it is essentially a sample/recording of a cabinet and microphone pair. You can then play your guitar through the sample and straight to a FRFR or PA system (without the cabinet and microphone) and it will modify the sound exactly as if the cabinet and microphone were actually in the audio path. It allows you to accurately reproduce a wide range of cabinet and microphone pairs without needing to carry the original equipment.

• Like 1

So I am a noob when it comes to all this stuff. My Helix is on it's way to me. I do have an HD500X but never heard the term IR used before. Can someone explain what one is and it's use?

Thanks

I really like this guy's simplified explanation: http://line6.com/support/topic/16164-irs-vs-cabs/?do=findComment&comment=120284

I'm biased, though. :-)

• Like 1

I have been collecting these free IR's from here and on TGP.  Even though I do not know how good they sound personally since I don't have the Helix yet, would any of you guys be interested in me posting a topic with links to them all?  Maybe something we all can just keep growing? 

• 3 years later...
On 10/30/2015 at 10:00 AM, spawn2031 said:

I have been collecting these free IR's from here and on TGP.  Even though I do not know how good they sound personally since I don't have the Helix yet, would any of you guys be interested in me posting a topic with links to them all?  Maybe something we all can just keep growing? 

yes

An Impulse Response is how a system responds to an impulse. You can capture an impulse response by recording a ballon pop or gun shot in a room, but there are also other ways. Given an impulse response, you can use a convolution function (or algorithm) to convert an input into an output that follows the impulse response. This could be to replicate reverb in a room, the response of a speaker cabinet or microphone, or the response of the body of an acoustic guitar. 

Convolution is a mathematical function that captures linear, time varying frequency response.