Sign in to follow this  
pwik

New to Helix world....what's an IR?

So I am a noob when it comes to all this stuff. My Helix is on it's way to me. I do have an HD500X but never heard the term IR used before. Can someone explain what one is and it's use?

Thanks

• Like 1

It is as described in the link above, and to simplify for this context, it is essentially a sample/recording of a cabinet and microphone pair. You can then play your guitar through the sample and straight to a FRFR or PA system (without the cabinet and microphone) and it will modify the sound exactly as if the cabinet and microphone were actually in the audio path. It allows you to accurately reproduce a wide range of cabinet and microphone pairs without needing to carry the original equipment.

So I am a noob when it comes to all this stuff. My Helix is on it's way to me. I do have an HD500X but never heard the term IR used before. Can someone explain what one is and it's use?

Thanks

I really like this guy's simplified explanation: http://line6.com/support/topic/16164-irs-vs-cabs/?do=findComment&comment=120284

I'm biased, though. :-)

I have been collecting these free IR's from here and on TGP.  Even though I do not know how good they sound personally since I don't have the Helix yet, would any of you guys be interested in me posting a topic with links to them all?  Maybe something we all can just keep growing?