Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Broken Scribble Strip

TheTonyEmery

My Helix arrived on Monday and I absolutely LOVE it! I was playing today with it and I noticed one of the scribble strips was 'broken'. The best way to describe it is it looks like its been 'hit' with something and a ton of the pixels has been damaged. A reboot returns the strip back to normal for a time....everything fine....until you activate that strip again and it 'goes off' again with many pixels off and some remaining leaving you totally unable to read the name of the preset. I've updated to the latest firmware with no fix. I haven't yet done a factory reset but it looks to me like a faulty scribble strip  :(  I've opened a ticket with Line 6 so hope there's a simple fix for this without returning it but I'm doubtful.

Anyone else with this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I also experienced "dead" pixels on one of my scribble strip - it's not bad as it in the attached picture.

In my situation it's only a whole line (from top to bottom) that it's with "dead" pixels.

I'll try to attach an image.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/t31.0-8/r180/905752_10153771711114874_5017313972770480060_o.jpg

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/r270/12244452_10153771711094874_3901015890940162749_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/t31.0-8/r180/12244452_10153771711079874_586712482615150266_o.jpg

Do you think it's the same issue?

thanks

• 1 month later...

This is quite common with the early rounds of a new product. Line 6 has shown exemplary customer service as stated above. As long as they continue to fix the issues as they arise I see no issue whatsoever. They are a fine company, coupled with Yamaha, I see only bright skies ahead.

• 3 months later...

I had one scribble strip with dead pixels just 2 weeks after i received the piece and now after 3 months I find another one. The line 6 representative sent me a replacement strip but since there's nobody from Line 6 to repair it in India, I have to wait till I find an engineer who can. Which I haven't. And now another one. I honestly don't know what to do.

I'm wondering what happens to all the buggy items that are sent back to Line 6? Are they shipped to the stores again?

This makes me think about waiting for some months or even a year until the first unites are off the market.

This would be bad business.

Those units that are shipped back to Line 6 for repairs/replacement are in no way considered new products. They are by every definition refurbished and must be sold as such.   IF not this could really hurt Line 6's reputation if they send refurbished products out with the mask, and price of a brand new item.  Because people will find out sooner, or later.

So I think, and really hope Line 6 is not doing that. They could easily save the ones shipped back to them for spare parts on Helix's that need replacement parts. As Line 6 isn't always going to be sending full replacements out to people. Especially with growing time lapse from the order date.

Ive actually had a "major musicians retailer" send me an "open boxed" repackaged item for new, once. I gave them the benefit of the doubt then that it was an honest mistake, but that under no circumstances were they going to to not send me a RMA for that and also send out another "un=opened" unit, which they did.  ;)

So its possible to mix up stuff with all that they deal with, but it might not be the manufacturers fault when it happens...

Ive actually had a "major musicians retailer" send me an "open boxed" repackaged item for new, once. I gave them the benefit of the doubt then that it was an honest mistake, but that under no circumstances were they going to to not send me a RMA for that and also send out another "un=opened" unit, which they did.  ;)

So its possible to mix up stuff with all that they deal with, but it might not be the manufacturers fault when it happens...

This is true. 

I have had this happen with a Samsung SSD for a desktop build for my girlfriend.

Samsung, as far as I know, doesn't have much of a problem with this. The site we ordered from however, had a few reviews stating something similar. So we determined it was the retailer, not manufacture in that case.