Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix updates available

StudioTM

L6, any ideas on when the El Capitan clicking and popping will be fixed?  It's really bad and I can't do any reamping because of it.  I upgraded to EC before purchasing the Helix because after tests all my other stuff worked perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

Am I missing the firmware update?  I'm only seeing the Helix app?

Helix Firmware v1.03.0 Release Notes

Helix v1.03.0 is a free firmware update that includes new features, fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using the Helix application to create a preset bundle, allowing you to install new presets as part of the update process.

The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Once you've connected Helix to your computer via USB port (hubs are not supported), Line 6 Updater will recognize the unit and take you through the update process.Line 6 Updater application may be downloaded here: http://line6.com/software/

• Upvote 1

Managed to update and import patches on W10, though the process wasn't very smooth. The name changed but not the patch, until I switched away from it and back, then there it was (cold sweat).

Gigging with it in about 4hrs, soundcheck in about 1hour. Living dangerously is my motto.

L6, any ideas on when the El Capitan clicking and popping will be fixed?  It's really bad and I can't do any reamping because of it. I upgraded to EC before purchasing the Helix because after tests all my other stuff worked perfectly. 

When Apple fixes El Capitan. 

I'm a bit disappointed that some basic things weren't addressed. Examples:

Joystick issue with accidentally turning while trying to move left, right, up or down. A common issue and complaint.

Go back / undo/ revert function for when the knob is accidentally returned or when changing a parameter leads to an undesirable result. Something like an undo last action choice when you push the global settings, save or another button.

I'm interested to see how things sound with stock cabs now that the correct mic will show up. But some tweaks to the standard settings when you pull up an amp, such as the master not always being set to 10, would have been welcome.

One step at a time I guess.

Joystick issue with accidentally turning while trying to move left, right, up or down. A common issue and complaint.

Just curious as to what idea you might have on how they could 'fix' this? If they don't respond to the turns, the response becomes sluggish so I'm not quite sure what you have in mind here as a solution. I don't have a HELIX, so I'm not sure what happens, but maybe something like "if the joystick is not centered, turning the knob has no effect". Or does it already operate like that? If not, would that 'fix' the problem?

Just curious as to what idea you might have on how they could 'fix' this? If they don't respond to the turns, the response becomes sluggish so I'm not quite sure what you have in mind here as a solution. I don't have a HELIX, so I'm not sure what happens, but maybe something like "if the joystick is not centered, turning the knob has no effect". Or does it already operate like that? If not, would that 'fix' the problem?

http://line6.com/support/topic/16343-moving-the-joystick-without-rotating-split-from-on-the-fly-saving/

Issue: While in the Home screen, turning the joystick changes the currently selected effect module. One slip, and you lose the entire effect's settings, because turning it back the other way resets it to default.

Possible software fixes:

1) When in the Home screen, you have to rotate the joystick more than one click for it to change effects. Or...

2) A mode where joystick rotation is ignored in the Home screen. (Push to select effect) Or...

3) Current effect's settings are restored if you accidentally rotate away, then rotate back. Or...

4) Something else clever we haven't thought of.

• Upvote 1

Have the helix app. Have the updater 104 new one I think. When I down load the 1.03.0 firmware my pc just reads it out in pages of gibberish. Tried on both my pc's ( win 10) same thing. And updater is not reading helix. On both pc's. Helix app is working on both pc's

Please help me. What am I doing wrong?

Omg it downloaded it, pretty fast also.

I've been at this for 3 hours and was at my breaking point, got the helix box ready to take back to GC.

I did nothing different this time but at least the update went through.

Going to play it now and maybe I can explore presets not without it freezing up.

Have the helix app. Have the updater 104 new one I think. When I down load the 1.03.0 firmware my pc just reads it out in pages of gibberish. Tried on both my pc's ( win 10) same thing. And updater is not reading helix. On both pc's. Helix app is working on both pc's

Please help me. What am I doing wrong?

You probably needed to right click and use the SAVE AS feature the give the file name the hlx extension. Chances are windows didn't recognize the extension so you just got the gibberish machine language

http://line6.com/support/topic/16343-moving-the-joystick-without-rotating-split-from-on-the-fly-saving/

Issue: While in the Home screen, turning the joystick changes the currently selected effect module. One slip, and you lose the entire effect's settings, because turning it back the other way resets it to default.

Possible software fixes:

1) When in the Home screen, you have to rotate the joystick more than one click for it to change effects. Or...

2) A mode where joystick rotation is ignored in the Home screen. (Push to select effect) Or...

3) Current effect's settings are restored if you accidentally rotate away, then rotate back. Or...

4) Something else clever we haven't thought of.

This is seriously just something that takes some playing to get used to. Both my son and I have no issues with this now and like it. I am sure it is annoying but people just need to learn how to use it. It is very similar to crane controls I use though in a much smaller scale. We hated them at first also but later we were all more proficient. I make more mess ups with the touch sensitive features.

But we all have our likes/dislikes.

This is seriously just something that takes some playing to get used to. Both my son and I have no issues with this now and like it. I am sure it is annoying but people just need to learn how to use it. It is very similar to crane controls I use though in a much smaller scale. We hated them at first also but later we were all more proficient. I make more mess ups with the touch sensitive features.

But we all have our likes/dislikes.

I have gotten annoyed too. I think needing 2-3 clicks to change Effect or being able to deactivate it globally so you have to click open the list to select FX type would be a solution.

why not just make a settings option to disable the joystick encoder when working on the homescreen? as soon as you press it, you can scroll thru the lists again... making it react after 2-3 turns will just make the UI feel slow/sluggish

Agree with the sluggish comment. The could just put an on/off feature in for joystick rotation I suppose. That may be what you are saying. Like I said, I love the joystick and fly now am used to it. I would be all for an on/off as long as the option is there to keep it like it is. like ivsaid, my issues are more with the touch sensitive stuff. But I am starting to get used to that.

My Helix is stuck (upgrading from 1.02) after a power cycle on reboot, first it shows a ":0" for about a second or 2, then there's a ":(-28" showing in the top left corner - any suggestions?

I don't see a way to do a firmware (or factory?) reset. Is it back to the shop for this one?

My Helix is stuck (upgrading from 1.02) after a power cycle on reboot, first it shows a ":0" for about a second or 2, then there's a ":(-28" showing in the top left corner - any suggestions?

I don't see a way to do a firmware (or factory?) reset. Is it back to the shop for this one?

Did you lose power during the process or did it do this when it rebooted itself? You could still try the factory reset sequence. If it does the same thing you could try flashing again or flashing the previous firmware update.

Did you lose power during the process or did it do this when it rebooted itself? You could still try the factory reset sequence. If it does the same thing you could try flashing again or flashing the previous firmware update.

No loss of power, it did said "could not complete update, please power off and try again" (not those exact words). Now, the problem is that since it doesn't boot anymore (it gets stuck at error -28) the USB is no longer recognized and therefore I can't do anything firmware wise, at least through the Line 6 updater :(

I tried the 9+10 switches on boot, it says it will "reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs..." but the ":(-28" still shows in the left top corner and it has been sitting there for the last 30 minutes.

Is there a secret Kung Fu Grip that will make the Helix go back to v1.0 or anything that I can do before returning it? Helix gurus help me, you're my only hope!

Right now it's the most expensive door stop I ever bought... I'm so glad I waited after my Halloween gig before trying to update the firmware!

No loss of power, it did said "could not complete update, please power off and try again" (not those exact words). Now, the problem is that since it doesn't boot anymore (it gets stuck at error -28) the USB is no longer recognized and therefore I can't do anything firmware wise, at least through the Line 6 updater :(

I tried the 9+10 switches on boot, it says it will "reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs..." but the ":(-28" still shows in the left top corner and it has been sitting there for the last 30 minutes.

Is there a secret Kung Fu Grip that will make the Helix go back to v1.0 or anything that I can do before returning it? Helix gurus help me, you're my only hope!

Right now it's the most expensive door stop I ever bought... I'm so glad I waited after my Halloween gig before trying to update the firmware!

You might also try holding down the 7 & 8 footswitches (two switches on the far left bottom row) while powering up, release the footswitches after you hopefully get the firmware message on the screen. Good luck!

You might also try holding down the 7 & 8 footswitches (two switches on the far left bottom row) while powering up, release the footswitches after you hopefully get the firmware message on the screen. Good luck!

Already tried that, it says "Will restore stock Presets and Setlists" but sill ":(-28" at the top left and no cigar, even after 5 minutes.

Guess I shouldn't be giving tips as it took me 3 hours or more to do the update, I was about to box it up and take it back but I gave it one more try and it worked. Line 6 installer wouldn't read my helix, so my thing was different than yours.

Good luck

Got an answer from support: They suggested trying switches 5 + 12 (I haven't seen this combination yet in this forum, which is why I'm posting this in case it helps someone) but that didn't work for me either. Looks like I have a bricked unit, so I'll return it back to the store today.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with the 1.04.3 update. Did you find a resolution? (If this isn't solved quickly next week, this is going back for a full refund)

UPDATE: 1/5/2016

Unable to resolve the issue I was experiencing, Line 6 Support had me send my Helix back to them. They arranged for UPS to pick it, having it shipped overnight to them. They took a look at it upon receipt and confirmed the hardware was defective. They shipped a new Helix to me overnight. In addition to their responsive support, I also appreciated that they opened the new unit and applied the 1.04.3 release update before sending it to me to confirm the replacement unit was not experiencing the same issue. I appreciate their support!!

I'm having the same problem with the 1.04.3 update. Did you find a resolution? (If this isn't solved quickly next week, this is going back for a full refund)

I ended up returning Helix at the store, the new one worked for the last 3 firmware updates. Eventually tried to upgrade to 1.04.3 a couple of days ago and the firmware failed - but I was somehow able to got back to 1.04.2 and decided to leave it there for now.

Updating the firmware on Helix is definitely not a foolproof process in my experience :(

What computer are you using? Maybe that's your problem since is it is common between the two Helix units. Maybe try a different USB port or cable. Updating back to 1.04.2 shouldn't be any different than updating to 1.04.3, so it sounds like there's something unreliable between you computer and Helix.