Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I update Helix's Firmware without Line 6 Updater?

IanKach

My Mac is running 10.7.5b and Line 6 updater will not install on anything older than 10.8. I'm not updating my mac as too many other gear in the studio is playing nice with 10.7. That said can I update Helix's firmware without using the Line 6 updater?

No.

might try a virtual machine if you dont have access to another machine.

TheRealZap may well be correct but I am wondering if there might be another way as the verbiage on the instructions from the Line6 firmware download seem to indicate that this is simply the easiest method (and definitely the one I use).  Here is what Line6 says "The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater."

Can DigitaIgloo weigh in on this, is there another method other than the Line6 Updater to update the firmware?

I'd love to know as well. Was wondering if for instance putting the upgrade file on a USB flash drive (connected to the Helix) and booting with a combination of footswitches would load the firmware file that's on the drive and flash the Helix with it.

Currently I'm the unlucky one with a dead (error -28) Helix due to a firmware update that failed, so I'd love to know if there's anything I can before sending it back.

I asked about updating from a flash drive and was told no, but it's possible they just do not want people attempting it

Weird... Seems so obvious. Would have been a great way around those El Capitan & Windows 10 problems for a start.

I asked about updating from a flash drive and was told no, but it's possible they just do not want people attempting it

The HELIX only has a USB B port, not a USB A port or mini, so there's nowhere to plug a flash drive in.

Theoretically they may be able to do updates over MIDI similar to AxeFX if they chose to go down that path, but just plugging a USB cable into your computer seems easier.

Yeah, but the point is I don't think Line 6 would make an update where you have to buy a special adapter a normal thing, especially for their marquee product. If they intended people to use a USB stick in the future, they would have put a socket on the Helix. MIDI is a little different since the Helix is intended to be used with MIDI. I still doubt they'll ever change from expecting users to download over the USB cable from their computer though.

TheRealZap may well be correct but I am wondering if there might be another way as the verbiage on the instructions from the Line6 firmware download seem to indicate that this is simply the easiest method (and definitely the one I use).  Here is what Line6 says "The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater."

Can DigitaIgloo weigh in on this, is there another method other than the Line6 Updater to update the firmware?

That is what made me think there is another option…the updater may be the easiest, but in my situation not so much.

Yeah, but the point is I don't think Line 6 would make an update where you have to buy a special adapter a normal thing, especially for their marquee product. If they intended people to use a USB stick in the future, they would have put a socket on the Helix. MIDI is a little different since the Helix is intended to be used with MIDI. I still doubt they'll ever change from expecting users to download over the USB cable from their computer though.

I realize all this. what made me ask initially (prior to getting my helix) was a comment by the Line 6 guys. A comment was made about flash drives and opening all the boxes to install the 1.0 firmware before shipping. Obviously a dozen guts with laptops could have done it but I just thought there might be an onboard method with a flash drive and adapter. Obviously an adapter is not practicle.

Ahhh. Interesting. Good point.

there is of course other ways... that they are not supporting or releasing....

that's how they rescue "bricked" units in service departments for many products....

typically a set of libraries and a command line app with lots of various switches...

i don't expect them to offer any way outside of the current updater utility....

the utility does more than just change the software on your device....

it can also do other maintenance required with a new firmware.... for example

modifying existing presets to include new parameters, changing internal settings, etc....

there is of course other ways... that they are not supporting or releasing....

that's how they rescue "bricked" units in service departments for many products....

typically a set of libraries and a command line app with lots of various switches...

i don't expect them to offer any way outside of the current updater utility....

the utility does more than just change the software on your device....

it can also do other maintenance required with a new firmware.... for example

modifying existing presets to include new parameters, changing internal settings, etc....

RealZap's answer above is probably the one that should be posted in green at the top but it would be nice if there were an alternative at least until most of the OS software issues with the Line6 Updater and Helix app have been resolved. Not that it helps all the users facing Updater and app challenges but I have gotten lucky and my laptop with Windows 10 has had zero issues with either the Updater or the Helix app. I know Line6 would save itself some returns, at least in the short run, if they could provide a method of updating that did not require the Updater. With that said, I think that TheRealZap's suggestion of spinning up a VM (virtual machine) on VMWare or Hyper-V or even setting up a double boot with an OS that might work for you in the short run is a temporary stopgap workaround. Of course, if the issue turns out to be hardware related then an alternate OS on the same laptop or PC may not make a difference.

RealZap's answer above is probably the one that should be posted in green at the top but it would be nice if there were an alternative at least until most of the OS software issues with the Line6 Updater and Helix app have been resolved. Not that it helps all the users facing Updater and app challenges but I have gotten lucky and my laptop with Windows 10 has had zero issues with either the Updater or the Helix app. I know Line6 would save itself some returns, at least in the short run, if they could provide a method of updating that did not require the Updater. With that said, I think that TheRealZap's suggestion of spinning up a VM (virtual machine) on VMWare or Hyper-V or even setting up a double boot with an OS that might work for you in the short run is a temporary stopgap workaround. Of course, if the issue turns out to be hardware related then an alternate OS on the same laptop or PC may not make a difference.

Got an answer from support: They suggested trying switches 5 + 12 (I haven't seen this combination yet in this forum, which is why I'm posting this in case it helps someone) but that didn't work for me either. Looks like I have a bricked unit, so I'll return it back to the store today.

Update on my (bricked) Helix: The store (Music Express in Brisbane) exchanged the Helix for a (working) one - amazing!

AND I was successfully able to update that one to v.1.0.3 - so great after sales service Line 6 :)

• 3 months later...

I'd love to know as well. Was wondering if for instance putting the upgrade file on a USB flash drive (connected to the Helix) and booting with a combination of footswitches would load the firmware file that's on the drive and flash the Helix with it.

Currently I'm the unlucky one with a dead (error -28) Helix due to a firmware update that failed, so I'd love to know if there's anything I can before sending it back.

Glad to read you got it swapped out, but just wondering..., Do you know what caused it to fail the update? Im new with the Helix and didnt want to make the same error... Thanks.

Glad to read you got it swapped out, but just wondering..., Do you know what caused it to fail the update? I'm new with the Helix and didn't want to make the same error... Thanks.

I don't know, I did everything Line 6 advised, no USB hub, wait, etc... I understand that v1.06.5 now has a "Safe boot mode" for the "In extremely rare cases, Helix can hang after a factory update" situtations. I'm totally not convinced those are extremely rare cases given how flaky the firmware updates have been (on not just one but 2 devices) but anyway once you get to 1.06.5 at least you've got an option. Good luck :)