Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please Help! Tone Quality Problems!

dourkingdoms

Im rewriting this post because im still having problems with my tone. I've gone through all the suggestions and nothings changed.

The outputs is Studio/Direct and im using a low gain yet im still getting horrible fuzz over the top, ruining any clarity that was there.

Here's a raw clip of the tone im getting:

This particular clip was recorded with a cheap guitar but i have the same problem with any guitar i use!

https://soundcloud.com/dan-kav/lollipop-tone

If anyone can tell me why my tone is coming out at such bad quality i'd be extremely grateful!

Just curious: Did you do a flash memory update after you bought it? Or has it been updated at all? What version firmware are you running?

I had a weird issue with mine a few years ago after an update that sounded about the same. Something might have been corrupted during the install. I had a lot of high frequency fizz/artifacts even on clean tones and low gain models. I reflashed and it went away. Just a thought.

Back up your tones if you want to make sure they are safe before reflashing. Good luck!

Just curious: Did you do a flash memory update after you bought it? Or has it been updated at all? What version firmware are you running?

I had a weird issue with mine a few years ago after an update that sounded about the same. Something might have been corrupted during the install. I had a lot of high frequency fizz/artifacts even on clean tones and low gain models. I reflashed and it went away. Just a thought.

Back up your tones if you want to make sure they are safe before reflashing. Good luck!

how do i do that? where would i find the patch files? I dont know anything about no flash memory updates? :/

f anyone can tell me why my tone is coming out at such bad quality i'd be extremely grateful!

That's about the same quality I get from my HD500 at high-gain settings.  You can tune some of the fizz out with a parametric EQ, but all in all that's why I'm back to my Fender Mustang III for everything but clean tones.  The other guitarist I work with has an older Line 6 Vetta and gets lovely, creamy sounding overdrive.  That was one of my motivations for getting the HD500, but it's been a major disappointment.

On my high gain tones I turn down all the treble and presence and turn the mids and bass up to about the 2:00 position.  Also I had to start using my tone control on the guitar, which I found out didn't have the correct capacitor.  In addition, I turned down the input impedence to 72k (if I remember correctly) and made sure I set Input Two to something other than guitar.

The Pod's not sh#t, your patch is (no offense). Post a screen shot of the settings if you want some help. Sounds like you've got everything way too jacked on drives and levels.

Here's an example of high gain without any fuzz. Don't mind the 127 drumming, I record clips so I don't forget them during my song writing process.
https://soundcloud.com/smithstudio/groove1-1

• Upvote 1

The Pod's not sh#t, your patch is (no offense). Post a screen shot of the settings if you want some help. Sounds like you've got everything way too jacked on drives and levels.

Here's an example of high gain without any fuzz. Don't mind the 127 drumming, I record clips so I don't forget them during my song writing process.

https://soundcloud.com/smithstudio/groo

Bro my gains at 50... im not an idiot.

Bro my gains at 50... im not an idiot.

Bro? I was actually going to help. You've got a bad tone. I didn't call you an idiot or insult you, it's a hard sound to dial in. If you want constructive criticism, post a picture. If not, then, well, don't get the help you're asking for.

Bro? I was actually going to help. You've got a bad tone. I didn't call you an idiot or insult you, it's a hard sound to dial in. If you want constructive criticism, post a picture. If not, then, well, don't get the help you're asking for.

I have a screen shot ready, but i dont know how to attach it to the post? im not a forum person, i have no idea what im doing, i just need help. 

I have a screen shot ready, but i dont know how to attach it to the post? im not a forum person, i have no idea what im doing, i just need help.

You can do what the message above said, but you don't have to have the image hosted on a third-party site. When you're replying, there's a button on the bottom of the page that says "More Reply Options". If you hit that, you go to another screen where you can type you're reply, and there's a button to add attachments at the bottom of the screen.

phil_m: Cool, thanks, didn't realize that.

OP: Lots of things to try, I'll go in a list.

• Set your amp settings all at noon and work around there. More often than not, you will run most everything below noon.
  • You're probably getting digital distortion from your channel volume and mids at 100%.
  • Sag/Hum/Bias never need to be hard cranked. It really makes the playability robotic and strange.
  • 57s are noisy, I especially dislike them for heavy patches. Try something like a 421 or some of the Neumann mics (87 & 67).
  • Depending on the sound you want, you don't need 3 gates. If you want a straight forward tone, just use 1 up front. If you want the djenty playability, use 2 (and swap to hard gates). Get rid of the one after the mixer.
  • I can't see your TubeScreamer settings. Drive usually sounds bad past 10%. Try your drive around 5% and output around 75%. You get the good kind of distortion by spanking the preamp "tubes."
  • Add a compressor before the TS if you want that vibe and extra control.
  • Add a mid-focus after your mixer and LP all the garbage out of the IRs. Be sure to gain stage this so you don't get more digital distortion.
  • Suck out some mud with a parametric.

phil_m: Cool, thanks, didn't realize that.

OP: Lots of things to try, I'll go in a list.

• Set your amp settings all at noon and work around there. More often than not, you will run most everything below noon.
  • You're probably getting digital distortion from your channel volume and mids at 100%.
  • Sag/Hum/Bias never need to be hard cranked. It really makes the playability robotic and strange.
  • 57s are noisy, I especially dislike them for heavy patches. Try something like a 421 or some of the Neumann mics (87 & 67).
  • Depending on the sound you want, you don't need 3 gates. If you want a straight forward tone, just use 1 up front. If you want the djenty playability, use 2 (and swap to hard gates). Get rid of the one after the mixer.
  • I can't see your TubeScreamer settings. Drive usually sounds bad past 10%. Try your drive around 5% and output around 75%. You get the good kind of distortion by spanking the preamp "tubes."
  • Add a compressor before the TS if you want that vibe and extra control.
  • Add a mid-focus after your mixer and LP all the garbage out of the IRs. Be sure to gain stage this so you don't get more digital distortion.
  • Suck out some mud with a parametric.

thanks man! and my screamer is at 0 gain and 100 output! 

I'll run through this list and see what i come out with!

PS. What the F#£$ does "Hum" even do? I've never noticed a difference either way i put it!

thanks man! and my screamer is at 0 gain and 100 output! 

I'll run through this list and see what i come out with!

PS. What the F#£$ does "Hum" even do? I've never noticed a difference either way i put it!

I have a hard time with hum myself. For that reason I leave it alone. Sag and Bias are quite apparent.

to be honest i dont know what any of them do. i can tell the difference with SAG and BIAS but dont know what they actually do 

Search. One of the L6 dudes just put out a document and matching video clips to describe these parameters.

I used to have the same problem with my HD300 , the tones were full of hum , the sound was bassy and the quality was crap , everything changed when I updated my firmware flash drive  , but make sure that u have a back up bundle because when u update the firmware , u will lose all ur factory presets

https://soundcloud.com/smithstudio/groove1-1

Awesome song!