Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

X3L TONE2 LOOP block problems

zappazapper

hi there...  i'm a long time X3L user...  having a curious issue...

i use my X3L with my Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber Plus using the 4-cable method...  

GUITAR > X3L GUITAR INPUT

X3L FX SEND > BOOGIE FRONT PANEL INPUT

BOOGIE FX SEND > X3L FX RETURN

X3L LIVE OUTPUT > BOOGIE FX RETURN

actually i have a channel strip in there to deal with level issues (X3L FX SEND is line level, BOOGIE expects instrument level, X3L LOOP block SEND LEVEL control doesn't turn down inherent D/A conversion [or otherwise] noise, which wouldn't be an issue EXCEPT when feeding into something that provides incredible amounts of gain, ie. the preamp of a BOOGIE, so i use the preamp section of an ART Pro Channel to reduce the level feeding into the front panel of the BOOGIE to be somewhat consistent with plugging a guitar into it direct...  works much better than a line level shifter, and i have the option of adding even MORE gain to the BOOGIE if i so desire)...  and since the Pro Channel is already there, i use its compressor section to even out the volume when i turn my guitar down to clean the tone up...  it's more like this:

GUITAR > X3L GUITAR INPUT

X3L FX SEND > PRO CHANNEL 1/4" INPUT

PRO CHANNEL PREAMP OUT > BOOGIE FRONT PANEL INPUT

BOOGIE FX SEND > PRO CHANNEL COMPRESSOR INPUT

PRO CHANNEL COMPRESSOR OUTPUT > X3L FX RETURN

X3L LIVE OUTPUT > BOOGIE FX RETURN

anyway, this is not the issue, just putting it down there for full disclosure...

so, a few weeks ago my buddy came and took his PA system back...  i'm not currently playing guitar in a full band, i only jam with my drummer friend once in a while, but it's nice to have a mic to be able to sing and at least communicate...  i don't really use the TONE2 feature all that much in that scenario (it's great for cover bands, but for jamming i really only have the one patch going) so i figured that i would just plug a mic into the X3L, set TONE2 input to MIC, and send both tones to the LIVE OUTPUT that feeds the FX RETURN of my amp...  

and, yes, it works...  i say "hello ladies" into the mic, and "hello ladies" comes out of my amp...  fine...

the only issue is, on my TONE1 guitar patch, i have a VERB block set to be controlled by the COMP switch...  when i switch it on and sing into the mic, there is reverb when i say "hello ladies"...  there is no VERB block on TONE2 (the COMP switch only turns the VERB block on the TONE currently selected, which is always TONE1, even when i'm using DUAL TONE)...  

upon further investigation, i'm finding that this only happens when i have the LOOP block on TONE1...  since i'm using the 4 cable method, the LOOP block is always on for TONE1...  i thought about it for a bit, and figured that maybe, even though the LOOP block is off for TONE2 (as one can only use the LOOP block on one TONE), maybe the TONE2 signal was still being sent through the loop, but only coming back on TONE1...  i was correct...  well, i thought, that's weird, but all i should have to do is turn down either the SEND LEVEL or MIX control on the inactivated LOOP block on TONE2, and that should solve it...

but, what i'm finding is that modifying a control on the LOOP block on either TONE affects the same modification to the LOOP block on the other TONE (ie. turn MIX control to 0% on TONE2 LOOP block, TONE1 LOOP block MIX control is also set to 0%)...

i guess i can see applications for the TONE2 signal being sent into FX LOOP along with the TONE1 signal, i guess, if you're using it only for guitar, but this seems like something that should be user-selectable or something...

is this phenomenon consistent with the intended design of the unit or am i experiencing something unexpected?

thank you...